Zig Forums language general

I thought Zig Forums needed a place where we can discuss Biblical/Christian languages like Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Aramaic, Syriac, Old Church Slavonic, etc.

We can learn here, provide resources for each other, examine the texts central to our faith, and maybe use the original language to refute heretics.

I'm personally studying Koine Greek and hope to learn Latin or Hebrew one day. What about you guys?

Attached: Fall leaves 028 copy.jpg (1600x1066, 178.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/ntgol
lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/latol
lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/ocsol
copticplace.com/coptic_languge/coptic.html
amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Egyptian-Language-Historical-Study/dp/1107664675
biblehub.com/text/matthew/1-20.htm
lexicity.com
amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/262-6217205-2455133?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=la biblia de jerusalen
lexicity.com/language/syriac/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't have much, but a while ago I found some some helpful introductory lessons (and short texts for study) in the University of Austin, Texas website's "Indo European Language Center".

There you can find NT Greek:
lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/ntgol
Latin:
lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/latol
And some other interesting and rarer language resources like Old Church Slavonic:
lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/ocsol

(N.B there is also Gothic, which, though the tongue of Arianism is fascinating to look into regardless.)

Anything on Coptic?

I translated some Latin from Jerome's Vulgate and ended up with some interesting verses.

God set the man in the pleasure paradise to cultivate and care for it.
God commanded the man “From every tree in the paradise you may eat”
“However, do not eat from the tree of the science of what is morally good and evil for when you eat of it you shall die.”

At first I wondered how modern English Bibles could be so different but then I looked at the notes in my American Standard Version and they made very similar clarifications. If you want a good English Bible an old ASV with notes is the way to go.

I'm working on my own Bible translation. Son far I've translated all of 1 John, half of the Gospel of John, and just started translating Mark.

Not from there, since it mostly covers IE languages.

I did find this, though.
copticplace.com/coptic_languge/coptic.html
I also have a physical copy of The Ancient Egyptian Language bu James Allen which also covers a lot of Coptic.
amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Egyptian-Language-Historical-Study/dp/1107664675

We had this exact OP last month and I'm pretty sure the replies were also the exact same. Is this a bot?

Attached: c72a43c367731fa3650c6ed1691e70ca1d61cf0b36645028193cea1867514c24.gif (320x213, 1.24M)

That was me, and it wasn't a language general, but someone in the thread suggested we make one, so I made one.

What is the best Spanish bible, all my catholic family keeps sending me weird ones or "new world" version fron JW.

Here's my translation of Mark 1:

The beginning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (the Son of God).

Just as has been written in the prophet Isaiah, "Behold I send my messenger towards your face, who will prepare your way;

The voice of the one crying in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his path'",

John was baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a repentance baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

And all the region of Judea and all those of Jerusalem were going to him, and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan river confessing their sins.

And John was clothed with camel hair and a belt of skin around his waist, and eating locusts and wild honey.

And he proclaimed saying, "The coming one is stronger than me, coming after me, I am not able to stoop down to loose the straps of his sandals;

I baptized you in water, but he will baptize you in the Holy Spirit."

And it came to pass that one day Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and baptized in the Jordan by John.

And immediately ascending from the water he saw the heavens opening and the Spirit as a dove descending to him.

And a voice came from the heavens, "You are my beloved Son, in you I am pleased."

And immediately the Spirit sent him into the wilderness.

And he was in the wilderness forty days being tested by Satan, and he was with the animals, and the angels served him.

But afterward John was handed over, so Jesus came into Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God,

and saying that the fullness of time had come and the Kingdom of God was drawing near, "Repent and believe in the Gospel."

And passing by the sea of Galilee he saw Simon, and Andrew, the brother of Simon, casting in the sea - for they were fishermen.

And Jesus said to them, "Come and follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men."

And immediately letting go the nets they followed him.

And slightly going forth he saw James of Zebedee, and John, his brother, and they were in a boat repairing nets,

and immediately he called them. And going from their father Zebedee, in the boat with the hired servants, they went away to follow him.

And they journeyed into Capernaum. And straightaway on the Sabbath, going into the synagogue, he taught.

And they were amazed at his teaching, for he was teaching as one having power and not as the scribes.

And immediately there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit, and he cried out,
saying, "What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy one of God."

And Jesus rebuked him saying, "Silence, and go from him!"

And the unclean spirits convulsing him and sounding a great sound went forth from him.

And they were all astonished, so disputing with themselves saying, "What is this new teaching with power? And even the unclean spirits enjoin and listen to him."

And he went forth, and immediately everywhere heard of him in all the places of Galilee.

And immediately coming from the synagogue, they came into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.

But the mother-in-law of Simon was sick having a fever, and immediately they spoke to him concerning her.

And coming near she had arisen by the power of his hand; and he had sent away her fever, and she served them.

But evening was coming, when the sun set, they were carrying to him all those having afflictions and demonically possessed;

and the entire town gathered together at the door.

And he healed the people having various afflictions and disease, and drove out the demons of the people, and he did not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.

And in the morning, while it was still dark, rising up he went forth and going into a deserted place, he was praying.

And Simon searched for him, and the rest with him,

and they came upon him and they said to him that, "All are seeking you."

And he said to them, "We should go somewhere else, into neighbouring towns, in order that I might proclaim there; for this is why I have come."

And he went proclaiming in their synagogues throughout all Galilee and driving out demons.

And a leper came to him begging him (and falling on his knees) and saying to him that, "If you might be willing, make me clean."

And being moved, began stretching out his hand to touch him, and he said to him, "I will, be cleansed!"

And immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed.

And charging him immediately when sending him,

and he said to him, "See you should say nothing to no one, but depart to show yourself to the priests and offer concerning your cleansing which Moses commanded, in testimony to them.

But going forth he began to proclaim all and spread the word, so he was no longer able to enter into town, but he went into a lonely place, yet people came to him from everywhere.

Attached: f1bd07e6fd6544c669fd22da6140be944c1a2ad7d06f488e8b55074dbeeb1046.png (960x832, 126.94K)

Matt. 1:18-25
And the birth of Iesou Unct was thus: His mother María having been betrothed to Ioséph, before their coming together was found with child from Holy Spirit. But Ioséph her husband, being righteous and not willing to make a show of her, intended secretly to put her away. But on his ponder of these, lo!, a messenger of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Ioséph son of Daueid, fear not to take María thy wife; for that begotten in her is from Holy Spirit. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Iesou, for he shall save his people from their sins. And all this hath come to pass, that it might be fulfilled that which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: Lo! the virgin shall be with child and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanouél, which is being interpreted, God with us. And Ioséph awaken from sleep did as the messenger of the Lord commanded him, and took his wife, and knew her not until she brought forth a son; and he called his name Iesou.

I'm not sure about 1:20 and have trouble with understanding how to translate the genitive aorist participle passive of Tαῦτα δὲ αὐτοῦ ἐνθυμηθέντος, and the aorist participle passive verb at γεννηθὲν

Ταῦτα δὲ αὐτοῦ ἐνθυμηθέντος ἰδοὺ ἄγγελος Κυρίου κατ' ὄναρ ἐφάνη αὐτῷ λέγων Ἰωσὴφ υἱὸς Δαυείδ, μὴ φοβηθῇς παραλαβεῖν Μαρίαν τὴν γυναῖκά σου, τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθὲν ἐκ πνεύματός ἐστιν ἁγίου·
biblehub.com/text/matthew/1-20.htm

Also did these for fun

Matt. 16:18
And I also say unto thee that thou art Rock, and upon this rock I will build my convocation, and the gates of Hade shall not overpower it (her).

Rev 2:9
I know thy pressure and abasement, but thou art rich, and the defamy of those claiming Ioudaians to be themselves, and are not, but a congregation of Satan.

Literally Judeans which modern jews claim to be but are not.
The Bible is always right. Based Greek speaker.

@Roman Catholic intel

Attached: Map-Prussia-UpperSilesia.svg.png (1024x767 314.28 KB, 409.45K)

Why the ASV? What's wrong with the KJV Bible? Is the ASV written in the early Modern English style of the KJV?

Stop posting this. Whoever made it has no idea about Bible translations outside of English

How similar is Koine Greek to Modern Greek?

Basically Duolingo but for ancient languages
lexicity.com

amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/262-6217205-2455133?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=la biblia de jerusalen

forgot

Holy smokes thanks for that, I was hoping to brush up on my Latin and learn a bit of Greek, this will help immensely!

Glad too help :D

Do any anons here have anything on Syriac? I'm a Maronite Catholic and I would really like to learn more about the language, as we do say pray in Syriac during Mass.

lexicity.com/language/syriac/

Thanks user!

I am a little surprised that it has so many languages. I mean, why would somebody even learn some of those? There are obviously plenty of classical texts written in something like Latin, Greek, etc. but for some of these languages there are almost no original texts at all. What would possibly motivate somebody to learn a language of which mostly inscriptions survive? It's like some advanced level of hipsterism.

What is this image. It's simply bad.

I would be careful with such a translation method. Scientia is not usually best translated "science" in modern English, for example.

You might like the original Douay-Rheims translation. You can probably find it on Google Books, but you'll have to search carefully since most of the results with be the Challoner revision. The original translation is very close to the Vulgate, even closer than Challoner, and IMO is underrated as a translation.

Oh my dear user, ignorance is bliss.
The rabbit hole of language autism is deep. There are communities of language learners online who love this type of stuff. At least ancient languages are better than conlangs.

Wait til you hear about Ithkuil. There are some neat texts in very ancient languages, not many though. I suppose it's for archaeologists and ancient historians, and learning ancient languages is said to be good for cognitive executive control

I've been translating Genesis - lots of fun

Better information on Italy, only modern translation

Main protestant translation, easy to read but not very literal and precise. For liturgical use.

Main Catholic translation, same as the protestant one: easy and quick to read but not super precise.
Contains the modification of the Lord's prayer last verse ("do not abandon us in temptation") that is causing a lot of polemics.
(on a related note Q didn't predict shit when he said the Pope wanted to change the "Our Father": it was already in since 2008)

The old ersion of the official Catholic translation, contains minor errors that were fixed in the 2008 version.
By no mean outdated in language, I prefer this to the 2008 version because it's closer to Septuagint, where the 2008 is closer to the Masoretic text.

Uses the name of the old Diodati Bible, translated by a calvinist in 1600, but is an entirely different thing.
Basically just KJV in italian.

1940 translation, old language, expensive and rare to find but it is still the latest Vulgate translation available.
If you want to read a translation from the Bible Catholics used until C.V. II this is the newest translation from Latin you can find in italian.

Freeform translation, not very precise, choose words to avoid common theological disputes. Generic meaning.