Catholic/Orthodox Dilemma

Currently I need some advise.
I was raised a catholic but in recent years I've become heavily attracted to the Eastern Orthodox Church, to the point where I am considering going to a Russian Orthodox Church when I go to uni this September.
However I'm sacred to convert. I'm scared to convert, I'm scared of becoming orthodox when my mother is the only catholic left in the family. I'm worried that since I go mass every Sunday and if I come back from uni converted then if I refuse communion I'll get singled out or something.
What should I do?

Attached: benedictbartholomew.jpg (800x600, 115.82K)

BEGOME ORDODOX

Attached: Begome Ordodox.png (464x447, 94.2K)

beat me to it

She will be happy that her son healed the schism and returned to the one true Church. BEGOME

This is the state of arguments on Zig Forums

This has always been the state of arguments on Zig Forums
All you had to know is what books and websites each side was relying on and you could see how neither side in most arguments offered original thought or research, usually this took the form of Jimmy Akin vs www.OrthodoxBeardologist.JosiahBTrenhamIsMyHomeboy/HeyLatinsWhyYouNoFollowYourFairytailRock.blogtown.net

winnie the pooh off uniates

Attached: 18664718_1710183142332968_3614676687823817749_n.jpg (746x816, 76.12K)

Attached: Melkike.png (1024x1440, 2.06M)

If it's because of the liturgy, then search for a Tridentine Mass in your vicinity.
Not only the liturgy will be refreshing and fulfilling of spiritual needs but the priests and parishioners are almost certainly conservative and traditionalist.

Truly, if my Tridentine Mass parish didn't exist I'd have either converted to orthodoxy best case, else just go full atheist/lukewarm or even worse protestant, evangelical at that.

I fear this as well, I converted to Orthodoxy from Methodism. It is just part of the struggle unfortunately. Attend Liturgy for at least a month, and of course be sure to talk with the priest and stay for coffee hour. Come and learn.

don't its divorce church-lite same with other schismatic churches

Only the Orthodox! Ecumenism is sin!

I can't help but agree. The last time the East trusted Western Christendom it was met with betrayal and centuries of death and persecution. Now they seek to impose the same fate upon their own faithful.

As other have said, that's a stupid reason to avoid joining what you think is the true Church. That said, you are wrong. The Catholic Church is the true Church, and unless you are certain the Eastern Orthodox Church is the true Church and that the Catholic Church is just a schismatic sect, I would advise staying where you are. I believe that God would judge someone lighter who remained in a schismatic sect that they were born into out of caution, than someone who deliberately jumped into a schismatic sect.

Just leave, okay? it's time for you to move away from the RCC if you do not see yourself as a Catholic anymore.
I am Catholic, but I have no respect for myself nor I care for people like you. Sorry, I'm tired of having to lie behind my teeth: ecumenism was the most idiotic thing the RCC did, and now we're bleeding to death ,as we deserve. At least in the past we kept our distance from what I used to believe were our "Eastern brothers and sisters". They hate us, and we keep making excuses for them; we should not hate them, indeed, but also know how much they despise us, instead we kept swallowing that foul-smelling heap of manure which is this """idea""" of "dialogue" and "respect", blind tolerance and moronic softening of a once monolithic way of venerating the true God.
Just leave, just leave…it's a dead place for you, not for some of us.

This board is full of ?pol? larpers anyway, who claim to be Christians while venerating their blood lineage above God; people calling us Catholics "papists" as it was an argument…I hate myself and others, especially other Christians, a tad more every time I come here, and I keep coming back ,as the idiot I am.

I might add to this that the primary reason I believe so, is that it appears to be part of a larger attempt at promoting intercommunion, which I oppose completely.

convert is a big term here. lets remember that you are attempting to convert from a Roman Catholic to a Orthodox Catholic. no matter the choice you make you will be a Catholic, so take a breath, youre not going to hurt the family. they are pretty much the same thing except very small political differences and socio-cultural differences. the theology is like 99% the same.

Personally i was raise a Roman Catholic. But after seeing how the papacy is handling the rampant child abuse from its own priests. i converted to team Orthodox, i cannot and will not support a church that allows this to happen to even its highest of members. its an insult to our faith, and its despicable that these "priests" use the papacy to cover their crimes against children. Orthodoxy has little to no kiddy diddling amount its clergy. thats why i converted. and you should to.

also the clergy dresses way cooler anyways

Stay Cathbro

Attached: 1502147240832.jpg (885x996, 132.14K)

Just a piece of advice, since the other Christanons more or less answered all your questions, do a research on the Orthodox fathers and teachings first before converting. The differences are way bigger than you may think and it's better for you to be informed.

I was raised Catholic and then became Orthodox. After much study and search, I came back to the Catholic faith.

The Orthodox have a deep spirituality that may resound to your soul, as it did to mine, but that isn't enough. Become Eastern Catholic, seriously. Try and attend an Eastern Catholic service and see. All of the Catholic doctrine and the Eastern spirituality.
I am now Latin Catholic because I don't have any EC church near, but as soon as I have, I will join them.

What's it like going to Orthodox and then coming back?

Are there any ones I need to look at especially?

Calm down brother, I'm considering, I'm not dead set.

I've been trying to find a Tridentine mass to give it a try, but everywhere I look it's only for once a month. Is it really worth staying with novus ordo for 3 weeks to then get reward with Tridentine for once.
Also will Tridentine last? Are priests still instructed in Tridentine or is it a fading art?

and you wonder why people are attracted to the EO

Not him but I recommend Lossky's Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church as a good place to start.

No. I'd rather go full orthodox than full Novus Ordo

Tridentine Mass is the only one to stay.
Almost all Novus Ordo priests are unmotivated, unschooled in theology, heretics or whatnot.
The ones I know that do Novus Ordo and are good priests are also bi-ritual (they celebrate both NO and TM) and would rather celebrate the latter one.

This is the only mass priests are deliberately searching for to learn and the only priestly societies to get any callings are the ones celebrating TM.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Sorta. I was baptized, but not really raised Catholic as a child, fell away as a teenager. Experimented with Buddhism in my 20s, then came back to Christianity about 2 years ago.

Initially, I thought about returning to Catholicism. I discovered Orthodoxy mostly on accident when reading through church history. More or less, I came to the conclusion that the specific claims the Orthodox Church makes on the papacy and governance of the early Church were true. At that point, I thought that it was essentially impossible to be Catholic in good faith while agreeing with the Orthodox on pretty much everything.

My advice is pretty simple. Don't think of who has the better liturgy or anything to do with aesthetics or culture. Instead understand that the Orthodox and Catholic Churches are both making a specific claim to be the continuation of the One True Church. Decide which one has the best claim on that, then join it. Like others have said, you can get a good Catholic liturgy at your local indult mass, or an Eastern Catholic Church. What matters really is which one is /true/

So if you believe Orthodoxy is true… then why would you not want to have the truth?

I don't despise Catholics. I think the Catholic Church is wrong on a couple of things, but I do not /hate/ it. Some Orthodox really can be Pharisaical about this, and it's really awful.

Can you tell me more about your journey and what issues influenced your decisions?

I hate Catholics and Orthodox alike. This place filled me with a sense of hatred for both sides.

Pray for me that I might stop coming here, if you want to help someone who has got physically sick with how much he came to hate himself and those who should be his brethren in Christ.

moshi moshi, catholic-des

why do you hate me, senpai

It doesn't feel that big a change, besides the rite. Catholics and Orthodox on this board like to shout "muh heretic" to the other side, but we're really close and there is a strong tradition of ecumenism between the two churches (Russian Orthodoxy and russian-aligned churches oppose it, but the Greeks are for it) that will lead sooner or later to a reunification. Besides the theological autism about the filioque and trinity (not really a problem since the Catholic church convened on a creed without filioque that can be used) and divine simplicity vs distinction between essence and energies (You need to go deep in theology studies to even understand what it is about), the teachings are essentially the same. I still follow a lot of Orthodox content on social medias and when I interact with it I say catholic stuff and it matches 90% with orthodox.

The two sister churches need to come back together under the seat of Peter and forget the wrongs did in the past.

Attached: easternbabist.jpg (534x540, 37.74K)

I guess you know theology better than people that attended a seminary for six years and studied under the supervision of the Church. Stop being a rad-trad and recognize that you may prefer TLM (I do too) but that doesn't make NO less worthy: it was approved by an Ecumenical Council. I know only priests who practice NO and they're all learned, motivated and good priests.

The Novus Ordo was promulgated 4 years after the Second Vatican Council, so, no, it was not approved by ecumenical council. The Novus Ordo didn't exist until 1969.

Because I hate myself first.

It won't happen, man: we humans thrive by splitting into splinter factions, into seeking a small group to belong to and to hate others.
I once held the naive idea of men learning to love one another, now I realize how much of a fool I was.

I know of a few who REALLY insist that you can first take the eucharist, then go to confession.
Also one that was trying to good-talk evangelicals saying that the 12 apostles all had different traditions.
Another one asking me why I would want to go to confession since "all your since are already forgiven!"
I heard enough stories about priests freelancing the words of the consecration.
Besides these are enough stories in the newspapers about bishops allowing things completely against Church teachings.

So yeah, I know more about the Church teachings than your average NO priest, but that is saying more about the sorry state of our Church than my knowledge.

b u m p