Christian OCD/scrupulosity

So I apparently I have OCD because I have overwhelming anxiety concerning my salvation and faith. I pretty much only read religious related books, I am always researching more too. I thought pic related applied to any believer? Am I actually wrong? how can I cure this and should I? Because to be honest it is ruining my daily life, I feel I can't be religious and live a regular life at the same time. How to reconcile renunciation, detachement, constant prayer with a mundane life surrounded by sin, greed, vanity, etc? I thought I was lazy in my faith because of it but apparently no one even bother with this and I have OCD? I'd like others input on this, and how you deal with religious anxiety

Attached: Screenshot_20180418-120622.jpg (1071x1264, 289.94K)

I hope you're joking

How is he joking? This is a fairly common trait in OCD when it comes to people that are religious. Do your homework and look that up.

I've experienced similar problems, user. You're not alone in it. It has eased up as I've gotten older (I'll be 46 in July), but as a younger man I was in constant agony over every minutia. I don't really have any advice, but just know you're not alone in it.

How are you old now old pal?
Whats your advice to us young fools?

Heh … Like I said, I'll be 46 in July.

I'm not sure what to advise to the topic at hand. You just have to learn to relax and realize that not everything is a crusade. My grandmother always told me to "Let go and let God", which didn't mean anything to me when I was younger, but now I know that it basically means "pick your battles, don't fight everything".

Although, if you are the sort to be in constant study of theology and Scripture, even if it's out of fear for your own salvation, become a minister. Teaching others is one of the best ways to learn more about yourself.

look into the traditions of Hesychasm/silent prayer.

It's one thing not to sin, but if you're constantly thinking about the sin you're not doing, then you still haven't "let go" of the sin. It's still in your mind and hearth, even if you look at it trough a "negative mirror" . You have to let go. As it is away from you in deed, so should it be in thought. Help those who can be helped, but don't cling yourself to the bitterness of the world.

Here's a parable (of zen) for the point:

winnie the pooh off.
Don't fall for the broadening of mental illness.
You're not only an idiot for falling for it, but you're a bad person for propagating it.

thank you for your answer, I have a long way to go

We all do.

In 1 Corinthians 11: 4, the Word of God reads "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head."

I pray before putting on my hard hat at a job site.

In Ephesians 6:17, the Word of God reads "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:"

I do my best to keep a pocket bible in my hip pocket.

I don't think we can apologize to God enough for our sins; but they have been atoned for, and forgiven

I constantly reexamine my motives,even now. Does what I speak come from a place of charity or pride in scriptural knowledge?

You are not alone. I would rather be mentally ill and saved, than sane and not know of God. God knows our anxieties. I am constantly reminded, praise God, that he is crafting me to His liking, not mine, nor anyone else's. Our faith will be at odds with our worldly surroundings. I pray, in Jesus's name, that God grant you strength or comfort in this struggle. I also acknowledge that He knows, better than I, what it is you need.

What is this crap? Just because you find something interesting or want stuff to be clean, you don't have a disease. I have actual OCD, even though it is slight and it sucks. Please stop with this meme

The implication is that its the obsessive core of your thoughts. God gives peace, not disorder. Always worrying about it etc. Theres an unhealthy way to worry and a healthy one.

Good point, as you say it is a struggle, especially with a wife, friends and surrounding who all not believe and rather do whatever they want. It feels as if I am putting a wedge between me and the world and it is painful. I hope God understand me

That's my problem. If God doesn't exist, there is only despair. If He exist, I also despair. I find no peace in it because it feels like I'll never have faith enough, transform myself enough, be good enough, to deserve salvation. It is impossible to deserve it, and that make me anxious. I don't want to be separated from God forever…

Attached: 1491936446881.jpg (418x359, 50.49K)

winnie the pooh off for minimizing it,

Obessive compulsive disorder, when it comes to the obsessive variant, can be focused on one specific theme, and then switch to another. It's more known as its purely obsessive variant.

Or it may not be OCD, but purely ruminating thoughts. They're real if they come over and over and over to the point where the individual is not functional and can't have a normal train of thought without that being intrusive.

Yes, this. Spot on. It is a work of the devil, as he works on the physical, mental, etc.

Know that God wants you to be at peace! "Peace be with you" Jesus says. As someone who has struggled with this, I recall a post in another thread that the Church fathers agreed that scrupulosity is something to be overcome. I have largely done so. Know that when you sin, or even simply fail to do a Scripture reading/pray/read Scripture or theology, that it is alright and Christ's peace is there! This is what the resurrection is for! It is great when you remember to do those good things, keep up with reading and praying, but immediately when you realize you let it slip away from you, despair not. God immediately intends you to be at peace, all you need is to simply recognize it and let it humble you again. Further, remember God says let your yes be yes, and your no be no. So once you pray something, whatever the feeling, have true faith that God has heard you. You do not need to repeat something (unless you intend to/are meant to for a certain kind of prayer). We are in the season of Easter so keep Christ's resurrection and peace as a theme for your mind in the next few weeks moreso than usual.

It IS impossible to deserve salvation, but God intends to blast that weight to pieces through His Son Jesus! All you can do is try to honor God all your life, best and meagerly as you can. There is no way to know if He exists or not, so act as if He does. That is belief. You WILL never be good enough or transform yourself enough, but that is okay! God knows this, Jesus knows this, and says "Peace be with you!" and pours out His mercy in response to this, to lift you up HIMSELF rather than let you fall away to hell! Don't let Satan trick you in this way. Yes, we are not worthy of God, but don't let this harm your self-esteem the way Satan would want it to. Let it humble you and second guess before you judge your brother.

I knew this feel even as an avowed atheist, fml

I would tell you some sh*t about how that doesn't concern you, but I think doing so would belie how terrible I am at looking past such things and correcting myself first. I feel like I'm hopelessly lazy and that worrying about the world is my subtlest escape.

In fact I'm a little amazed at myself for having written the above without the slightest hesitation.

Attached: Abstract.jpg (680x684, 42.2K)

You feel me brother

Attached: 1486650534832.jpg (384x379, 49.56K)

Glad to know I'm not alone, Godspeed