Dealing with Covetousness

I'm in my late 20s and I've recently been dealing with bouts of coveting thy neighbor's possessions. Places online like Blind (teamblind.com) and halfchan's /g/ and /biz/, you'd frequent across anons who boast about their TC (total comp.) into the six figures, they'd drop half a million in cold hard cash and humblebrag about many things like they don't know how to spend that amount of cash. I look at my entire savings account and retirement funds and realize how far behind I am, how little I am in comparison to these kids and many of them are either my age or even younger than me. I instantly feel depressed, sad, and upset and it makes me not want to accomplish anything for the rest of the day.

When I was younger, there were many things in the Bible that didn't make sense: one of those was coveting thy neighbor's possession's, I would exclaim to God, "God, why would I ever do that? I'm content with what you gave me." This is in relation to the neighbor kids having a Nintendo 64 with a library of games, while I didn't even have a home console. Even right after I graduated college with a full-time job, with only a thousand or two in my bank account, I really didn't care much about money or how much money I made. However, now that I'm older, whenever I see this type of content online, it's like a stab in the gut, and I start second-guessing my life and start feeling worthless.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you felt a similar frustration, and more importantly, what is the Zig Forums response to this? I do deserve to be slapped in the face for this type of reaction, but I can't help it in my sinful carnal flesh.

Attached: 426fc748-5363-4473-b353-43308af0f637.jpg (350x201, 28.98K)

this is the most pathetic thing I have read. Ever.
Sort yourself out.

99% of the cryptokiddies on /g/ and /biz/ are just viral marketing bots.

OP was saying that he didn't covet those things, which is commendable for a child.

Don't compare yourself to the world. Measure yourself against God's commandments.

I myself like cars and I sometimes get jealous of countries with cheap second-hand markets, but this form of thinking is sinful. It's sinful to make cars an idol. Likewise, don't make money an idol. Money is the measure of success in this world, but the Christian measure of success is how obedient we are to God. In the end that's all that matters. Consider how lucky we are to know Christ and how rare that is in this world.

Attached: 651718cdc25ffab4f87c9ee6eba1461c89934f95da21a943ac55d45476da9c2b.jpg (666x712, 97.48K)

If that's the most pathetic thing you read then you should sort YOURSELF out. Idiot.

2nd'd

why envy them, wealth doesnt bring happiness. Those biz people are so incapable of feeling fine by themselves that they have to go and brag to online forums in hope of some validity from outside sources. They are like the woman who posts cleavage photos on social media fishing for likes, or the artist that does fanarts and then hunts for internet attention. They are all slaves to opinions of others in order to feel well.
Realize that to be happy you need only your own thoughts.
Also so little in terms of material is needed to live with a modicum of comfort that looking at those who waste fortunes on it should cause you pity not envy.

its pretty normal for kids to envy each other. relax.

Describes when I became a Christian: “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. (Matthew 13:44-46)

Unfortunately, I suffer from the Church of Ephesus syndrome, forsaking my first love who is Jesus Christ. It's one thing to believe in Jesus Christ, it's another thing to have the faith to put everything He says into practice, and that includes: sin no more. I guess that's why Christians like OP and many others suffer from the ailments of this forsaken pitiful little world.

I hate to go all Alex Jones on this but, the elites of this world barely have to work, they don't need to work, but they want more power which is what fuels them. And everybody else at the bottom is trying to reach the top, so they can experience "Heaven on Earth" except without God. Also, you're right in that money doesn't make people happy, many different posts I've read on biz with these newfound millionaires they say (or at least claim) that they are still not happy with their lives.

When I was a child I used to play with this rich Christian boy who had a huge folder of holographic 1st edition pokemon cards (two parents got into a fight at the mall during Christmas over rare pokemon cards at a kiosk in my town. One of the parents ended up beating the other to death and went to prison for life, but that's beside the point.) that were highly coveted back in 1997ish. One day this naive kid was so happy to be hanging out with me because he had no friends (very strict religious parents) that he said something akin to "Hold on I'm gonna find my other folder so we can both have decks with holos." I wavered for a long time thinking about just taking the binder and running back home because he didn't know exactly where I lived even though we were pretty close. Finally I caved and grabbed the binder and hauled ass back home. I avoided that street as much as possible later and ended selling all of the cards in the binder for $500 (a winnie the pooh lot for an 11 year old kid.)

About a month later I was just biking around the neighborhood like usual and ran into this kid again. I stopped and just looked at him for about 30 seconds…until he burst into tears and asked me why I left and took his binder. "I thought you were my friend and you wanted to hang out with me every day!" while he sobbed over and over. I didn't know what to do or say, so I got off my bike and kicked him in the stomach as hard as I could and told him not to being so trusting of other people.

That's how I dealt with covetous feelings…

Attached: Being Casual.jpg (259x288, 21.27K)

W-what kind of bait is this?

Attached: 8f250746b307b6d6920a65f74df2e865edcda28a049ba7363f7d993f6e401eb4.jpg (320x186, 6.95K)

I think it is a problem when your avarice is so powerful that the comparison game cripples your day or when you begin feeling, as I have, that God is not loving you as much as others not because of the things they have, but because of the, say, more trouble-free life they live. This is what I have found myself crying over, and it's good that you raise this thread, OP, because I wouldn't have noticed it in myself without this prompt, at least noticed it as the sin of avarice.

I have found it difficult that I am almost envying sinners, not for their sinful lives, but because they are freed of the burden of constantly watching themselves, their actions and motivations, and being constantly under God's discipline for purposes of growth. Like you, OP, I never lusted for other's possessions, but it's not just about your neighbours possessions, and IS about all those things that they might have that you do not, non-materially, too. I envy their easier lives, I cry out that my life is in ruins because of the Lord's discipline and my sins, yet wicked men, vile, contemptible men who abandon good sense much less good morals for all manner of personal gain, live in peace and comfort, not only completely unrepentant for their wickedness, but completely unpunished. Yet, for my comparatively minor infractions, I wallow in sackcloth.

And of course I know that "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated". I can see that this is not the right attitude, but identifying the problem and embracing the solution are two different things.

Yet, this sin doesn't restrict itself to the wicked: even my brothers in faith give me cause for envy. They with their three, four or five children, living comfy family lives, attending church on Sundays, living in middle-class bliss, while the Lord denies me the same?! What sin have I committed, O Lord, that I am denied the life I longed for while my brethren live their lives heavily blessed, not with material things, but with the comfort and joy You bring through the ordinary? Or what about the sins they bear without shame, yet I am crippled by God's discipline and seem to have a far higher moral standard demanded of me?

Yeah, I know this frustration that I should even play this game, OP.

continued…

Attached: life.jpg (623x623, 37.69K)

…continued

Well, ultimately, it is sin, isn't it? I cannot put my finger on it, but didn't Paul warn us against comparing ourselves to others? It's not only sinful, and unhelpful to your walk – obviously in particular comparing oneself to the wicked who will inherit nothing at all – but it's comparing apples and oranges. Your path is not their path, and their path is not yours. Some believers will go through the entirety of their lives in blissful peace, every plan they set comes to pass, every ambition succeeds, every week they receive some new blessing, and it's not necessarily a matter of perspective, it is simply that they are blessed. Yet others will struggle and groan and misfortune will follow them at every step.

Yet, it has nothing to do with sin, nothing to do with their personal qualities, and nothing to do with their behaviours*. "I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." It may be galling, and it may seem unfair, but the simple and fundamental truth is that God does not treat all of His children alike, much less the same. I mean, I'll just point to the faithful of Kolkata and compare with the faithful of Beverley Hills. Is one more blessed in this life because of something they did to earn it? Do we think they are somehow better human beings because they are blessed? I know plenty of church goers will tell me so. This vile prosperity doctrine is not yet dead. Yet, didn't Christ Himself tell us that in this new age, each man will be cursed only for his own sin and not for the sin of his forebears? Did He not ask about the people killed when the tower collapsed (tower in Siloam; Lk13:4)? Thus, a man's sins do not determine his life, much less his circumstances. (At least not entirely. It is true that a sinning believer will incur discipline, but not wrath, says the author of Hebrews, but for reproof, correction, for being properly raised as His children.)

Pic related. Each of us are called to walk a path God has prepared for us, yet NO two paths are the same. This life is a marathon, a race, almost just against ourselves: But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbour. For each will have to bear his own load. (Gal6:4-6)

* I accept that there is a caveat to be applied that some people might be their own worst enemies. But, even then, let us reason on this: how did they come to be so? Is it a flaw in their character? Is it because they have IQs of 67? Who gave them this IQ? Who gave them drug-adled parents who taught them that love is just a word or that cigarettes are for burning on skin? Who cursed them with psychological or biochemical pre-disposition to alcohol addiction? Who gave them spina bifida at birth to cripple their legs, or a 47th chromosome to cripple their intellect and shorten their lives? Ah, and shall we embrace the newest issue for the Church to tackle: who was it that gave them a brain cursed to love their own gender improperly?

Some people the Lord simply chooses to have paths of difficulty for His own Glory's sake. Envy is, in some ways, not only a sin afflicting the "less blessed" but stands as an admonition to the rest of us to remember that the burdens God gave us were meant to be shared by the WHOLE Church, not by the individual alone. "Bear one another's burdens," Paul wrote, "and so fulfill the law of Christ." This applies equally to those in our congregations who bear physical burdens, but also emotional, psychological, intellectual, spiritual and even moral burdens. And we ought not tire of the job. If we have been largely spared and yet granted blessed lives, how much more does God demand of us to support others in the same servitude and love Christ displayed? I am convinced that no man lives in a seven bedroom mansion on a 40 acre block without the Lord also demanding so much more from Him than the man who struggles to hold a job because his mother drank while pregnant, or, for that matter, was born in Nigeria. I fear there will be many of us who will bear great shame before Christ come the judgement day, when our selfishness and self-obsession about what we felt we did lack blinded us to what we had to share with the congregation of Christ's Holy Church.

To my mind, if I am overcome with envy of others – be it of money, materialism, talents, IQ, lives, anything – I ought remind myself of what few "coins" I am left with can represent to someone who has even less. The poor, Our Lord said, we will always have with us. He wasn't just talking about material wealth.

I lol'd

Sell everything you have, give it to the poor, and follow him. Having more money won't help especially if you stack it all up for yourself, you are stacking treasure that will perish as you perish with it

Hey, thanks for this post. Really puts into perspective and that we must always give God all the glory and due credit. He is in charge, and it's a scary thought that one day I'll be standing before Him at judgment. How can I defend myself if He blesses me greatly, then He will expect more of me. It's a very humbling thought. Thanks again.

Sorry, but it's not biblical to be financially irresponsible like that. Yes, we are to be generous in what we give. Abraham, Job, and others died at a very old age, full of years, and they were relatively wealthy. Wealth isn't a bad thing in and of itself, it's the love of money that is the root of evil. You don't have to give up your stuff, you have to give up the love of your stuff. The important thing is to put God in the center of your life, but yes wealth can be a great hinderance for many as Jesus Christ pointed out so perhaps it is a good thing not to be rich and to simply be content in all things.

Did you copy what you said from this guy? jk :^D

winnie the poohin' saved.

Attached: covetousness_2.png (1786x651 263.65 KB, 304.52K)

user, I just wanted to say thank you for this. I'm not sure how to even begin explaining, but you see my mother's spiritual life always seem so abundant to me. Whenever she prays and asks for something God answers her prayers with a yes. It seems like she is never in want nor does she struggle with her faith

Compared to me who had a rough road to God and still have doubts in my moments of weakness, I can't help but be envious of her sometimes. There are times where I feel that God loves her more and it cripples my faith. Your post put me back in a right mindset. Sorry for the kinda blogpost but I really just wanted to say thanks to you user.

I’m not telling you this because I’m in need, for I have learned to be satisfied in any circumstance. I know what it means to lack, and I know what it means to experience overwhelming abundance. For I’m trained in the secret of overcoming all things, whether in fullness or in hunger. And I find that the strength of Christ’s explosive power infuses me to conquer every difficulty. (Philippians 4:11-13)

Everyone has different spiritual gifts, to whom has been given much, much is expected. Seek God (Jehovah, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit).

Ideally I would tell you to live a Christian life, have a large family and fight for your nation, but because this is impossible in the Jewish West there is absolutely nothing I can advise you to do. Burn for the sins of your forefathers.

Know that happiness is relative and more or less equal to people depending on their status.

What I mean with that is:
A starving beggar will be at least, if not more happy over a good meal than some guy buying an expensive car.

You might think the happiness itself is different, but that's really is only on the outside, it's actually the same, you don't unlock higher capabilities of happiness, but you can, of course, be less happy or need different things to reach the peak, but there is no expansion of happy via money.

Also, the body is made up in a way that it is impossible to be happy over the same thing forever, otherwise we would probably die out.
Just imagine feeling satiated after a meal forever, even if you're actually lacking nutrients, you feel full.

You would starve because you would feel no desire to eat at all, etc.

So, yeah. Maybe that is a small consolation to you.
They have no higher level of happy, they have the same capabilities and the same decay of happy, and yours is probably easier to reach than theirs.
The more you have the more they become the norm and the harder it is to go to that "peak".
They have greater comfort, but if we are speaking happiness, then they're in the same grind as everyone else, just on a different ballcourt.