U.S. Court: Detroit students have no right to be able to read

The lawsuit took pains to illustrate how Detroit's schools — run under a state-appointed emergency manager — were a welter of dysfunction: overcrowded classrooms, lack of textbooks and basic materials, unqualified staff, leaking roofs, broken windows, black mold, contaminated drinking water, rodents, no pens, no paper, no toilet paper, and unsafe temperatures that had classes canceled due to 90-degree heat or classrooms so cold students could see their breath.

At times, without teachers or instructional materials, students were simply herded into rooms and asked to watch videos. One student claimed to have learned all the words to the film Frozen in high school. The lawsuit even mentions one eighth grade student who "taught" a seventh and eighth grade math class for a month because no teacher could be found.

We had described such teaching methods as a sort of "throw a book at them and hope they learn something" method of education — only without the book to throw. Student cannot be expected to learn when they are simply "warehoused for seven hours a day" in "an unsafe, degrading, and chaotic environment" that is a school "in name only." It is hardly surprising that, at the plaintiff's schools, which serve almost exclusively low-income children of color, almost 99 percent of the students are unable to achieve proficiency in state-mandated subjects.

Last year, the state moved for dismissal, arguing that the 14th Amendment contains no reference to literacy.

Then, last week, U.S. District Judge Stephen Murphy III agreed with the state

Literacy is important, the judge noted. But students enjoy no right to access to being taught literacy. All the state has to do is make sure schools run. If they are unable to educate their students, that's a shame, but court rulings have not established that "access to literacy" is "a fundamental right."

At the close of last year's story, one of the plaintiffs in the case, Jamarria Hall, had reflected on his experiences at Detroit's Osborn High School and described the institution as a "crab barrel" — where you can't escape because you keep getting pulled, or pushed, back in.

He had said the state was one of those forces pushing any crabs who'd escape back in. "'Cause, starting out, they're the ones at the top of the barrel."

Apparently, we may add the U.S. government to those pushing crabs back in their barrel.

metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2018/07/02/us-court-detroit-students-have-no-right-to-access-to-literacy

Attached: 4704627374_bcc08db5f3_b.jpg (1024x683, 590.78K)

Hey, white boy, ya, you.

Gimme yor shoos

Well at least make it illegal for illiterate people to vote. Can't expect them to make an X without being able to read.

WE WUZ ILLITERATES N SHEIT

It is just as well.

Literacy without critical thought is slavery.

wow you are the king of comedy lol

God this state and country are fucking trash

you misspelled reality

This triggers the liberal

No right to literacy → Legalize truancy.

I find myself siding with the niggers on this one. That's some fucked up hypocrisy

Why do you expect teachers to put effort in teaching buffoons that only show up to school to try and score?

Wish I keep the links about liberal teachers getting #WOKE when trying to teach these feral animals, and how they try to justify it as still whities fault.

Niggers destroy literally everything they touch.

Literacy isnt a right, access to education is. You can lead a horse to water but drinking it isnt a right, its a choice.

Attached: b7c6370e43153438ed111b8522184ca21522d59182f4b5621aaeaa0c971629ea.jpg (1000x968, 173.29K)

This, honestly.

Hay, i gots no edukation and trump done took my welfare
so
Hey, white boy, ya, you.

Gimme yor shoos

The Fiscal Year 2017-2018 (FY 2018) Detroit Public Schools (DPS) Adopted Budget is based on a comprehensive review of actual and projected financial data and analysis. The following is a brief narrative of the anticipated revenues, expenses and financing uses.
REVENUES
The FY 2018 Adopted Budget includes the following revenues:
1. Property Taxes - $58.6 million
2. Renaissance Zone – $4.3 million
EXPENSES
The FY 2018 Adopted Budget includes the following expenses:
1. Debt Service - $49.4 million
a. SAN Debt Service – $36.9 million
b. Deferred MPSERS Interest – 10.5 million
c. Emergency Debt Service – $2.0 million
2. Audit - $250,000
3. Legal expenses - $150,000
FINANCING USES
DPS anticipates transferring $13.1 million in remaining cash to the Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD).
DPS anticipates having a $16,538 surplus for FY 2018.

Sounds a bit like africa.
I wonder why.

The better decision, honestly. Making literacy a "right" wouldn't fix those schools, just give them something irrelevant to blame and more money to waste. They need comprehensive reform from the ground up.

Normalfags always assume its because Detroit can't, or won't have decent schools. Nope! If you have a bunch of niggers in a building you aren't going to get a single ounce of learning done.

Detroit has one problem, and one problem only: Niggers. Everything else is ancillary

like pottery

I agree there's no right to education. But why is schooling required?

How is that hypocrisy? School is mandatory so that women flood the market with cheap labor. Learning is a flimsy pretense at best.

"shit, tyrone, you voting, kid?"
"i gotsd my blue -crayon- rose art wax stick right here"

Wow it's almost like throwing more and more money at public "inner city" schools and teacher's unions doesn't fucking work. It's almost like corruption sets in where the government allocates funding and that funding barely reaches it's intended recipients.

We should really fund literacy programs more. We all have the right to use other people's money on futile endeavors and to line the pockets of bureaucrats everywhere.

Attached: 1469843308843.gif (350x300, 1.97M)

This is all Trump's fault somehow according to the Left

What fucking education? They didn't even have books or teachers at times in those shitholes. Officials there are wasting and maybe embezzling money.

LIKE CLOCKWORK!

Attached: 4e67dae828b4736c01b7d6f2445fe25ec8177fe2f1f3a7dde22c11964571d788.jpeg (570x960, 67.36K)

Like pottery. Lurk more for at least two years or piss off, newfag

I would love to see them try.

well in trumps own words…

Attached: da president.webm (502x274, 3.33M)

It works pretty well outside United States of Illiteracy.

Fixed it for you.

THIS

Attached: iwlk1bhvk5wy.jpg (1160x989, 102.97K)

There are people who literally can not read in an absolute sense. That is: It is not within their capacity to learn, not merely that they have not learned. The courts have done right to recognize this actually, as they've averted a disastrous precedent (that I'm sure corrupt educators see as a holy grail) of creating a system that must, compelled by law in fact, endeavor ceaselessly to do the impossible. It's a fucking hard truth of life - not everyone is equal in terms of capability. Our system is set up in such a way that it does not actively limit one's capability to achieve (equality of opportunity) to do anything beyond this flirts with so many failed and ultimately self-destructive endeavors to ensure everyone achieves even when they ought not (equality of outcome).

It really does suck for the kids in this situation who actually fucking are capable of much more than their shit flinging peers. But there is a solution and it falls back on wisdom I learned at my first job out of high school from a man who dropped out in elementary school and self-educated himself to a technical trade position; "Son if you want to party and pick up chicks and waste a lot of time go to school, if you want to actually learn anything and are willing to put the work in go to a library."

I realize the sense of sending someone who has not learned to read to a repository of reading material seems questionable at best however exposure is the only way one learns to cope with new stimuli. They're not going to learn to read anywhere else in Detroit, by the sound of it.

As for the rest of the people that are too unruly or frankly (which may actually be the stronger case) too unintelligent to learn to read well too bad so sad. We have better things to do in society than lament the fact that nature/God/whatever-forces-that-be do not see fit to distribute intelligence evenly.

Trump can't do shit if the city won't work with him on it. Micromanagement isn't the federal government's job. At least he's commented on it, it's dead silence from legislators there

Or maybe you should just accept the fact that your education system is terrible.

Because it's the foundation for indoctrination.

Attached: schooling.webm (640x360, 10.92M)

That's what he said in the first paragraph.

Attached: download (22).jpg (189x267, 19.03K)