Genuine question

Hello, I'm a Mormon, and my question is why don't you consider us to be Christians? (Mods please don't delete this because this is a genuine question from a genuine inquirer on this topic.)

Yeah, there are differences between us. But we have so much more in common.

By definition a Christian is someone who follows Christ

But they don't believe him to be the Son of God, nor do they believe him to have died on the cross for the sins of the world. But Mormons do believe Jesus is the Son of God. Mormons also believe that Jesus died on the cross to atone for the sins of humanity.

Yes, I get most Christians are Trinitarian. But in truth the Mormon Godhead is not that different. We believe God is the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. But we believe they are separate in substance, whereas Trinitarians teach they are one in substance. That really doesn't sound like that big of a difference.

Like other Christians, we hold the Bible to be the word of God. But we also accept the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, as well as the Pearl of Great Price to be scripture. But really they're all the same. They teach all of the same stuff.

So, why don't you consider us Christians? We baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. We also practice the Lord's Supper. Again, there is no reason we shouldn't be considered Christians.

So, please explain to me why do you not consider us to be Christians? It seems like an arbitrary choice to me. You do the same with Seventh Day Adventist. Why? What's the deal with us? It really seems like an arbitrary choice.

Attached: mormons-1024x924.jpg (1024x924, 98.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCK9RJwC7Er16-Y8dvIQ-3tw
myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/Russell_partakers.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You believe that there are trillions of other gods on different planets and believe that good mormons become a god when they die. That's way to far away from the Bible teaches, and is literally satanic
Genesis 3
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Isaiah 14
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

You guys carry some external forms like baptism, yes, but much of your deeper doctrine is completely insane and incompatible with the Christian faith.
And do give credit where credit is due. Adventists are unabashed judaizers but they still adhere to the Nicene Creed (if just barely).

We believe there is a cycle in godhood, and yes other "gods" exist. But we believe there is only one God in our area of the universe. We worship this God alone. No other god can be worshiped but God alone.

You've never heard the expression, "God became man so man can might become a god" (Or, "God became man so man might become God"). The early Church Fathers talked about this. And as far as I know you guys still believe it. Becoming a god is a central part of salvation in the Christian faith, no? Jesus himself even said,

Like what? I don't see anything. We believe Jesus is the Son of God. We believe he died for us. We believe in the Holy Ghost. We believe in baptism. We have bishops. We read the Bible all of the time. What makes us different?

No we don't. Mormons believe there are many gods and that God became God by obedience to law. That alone makes Islam more Christian than you.

Muslims don't believe Jesus is the Son of God. They deny his crucifixion. They don't use the Bible. They don't baptize. They don't have churches they have mosques.

We
Are
Christian

You're misinterpreting the idea of theosis in a way that supports your doctrine. The Church fathers never supported the idea of partaking of God's essence, but rather partaking of God's energy. This is St. Palamas' essence-energy distinction and a foundational part of Orthodox Christian theology; it's not an exaggeration to say that the entire concept of theosis hinges on this point.

Al of those things are required for the Christian faith, yes. But there are also other things that you aren't mentioning, things that you aren't doing, that you must do to be Christian.

Here you contradict yourself. You say that someone is a Christian based on following "Christ", not on holding dogma. But then reject Muslims as Christians because they dont hold certain dogma.

Believing in three gods vs believing in one God is a pretty big difference, and yes who God is, is a big deal.

You try really hard to be considered Christian, there is one easy way you can be considered a Christian brother, and that's BEGUM

1. The nature of God, the fact that Mormons believe that God has a body of flesh and bones, rather than being a spirit.

2. Joseph Smith taught that there was a plurality of gods (God the Father, Christ and the Holy Spirit are separate beings, and many “intelligences” helped form the earth in the Mormon scripture called The Pearl of Great Price).

3. Mormons believe in a pre-mortal life, which is a pagan belief (via Plato) and not a belief of other Christians.

4. Mormons believe that they can become gods (not spoken of much anymore, though not officially renounced, either).

5. Mormons believe that we were all siblings (children of God) in the pre-mortal life, including Christ and Lucifer (Satan).

6. Mormons believe that other Christian churches are “apostate,” meaning devoid of true priesthood authority from God, which was taken from the earth in the first century, and only returned in the 1800s to Joseph Smith.

7. Mormons believe that they have to do various temple rituals (baptisms and marriage sealings) in order to return to God, thus denying the sufficiency of Christ’s Atonement.

2 Peter 1:4 explicitly says,

>Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

We believe that in our resurrected bodies, those who have completed all the requirements of salvation, will achieve godhood. We don't become the same as God, but we become like him in nature as 2 Peter 1:4 explicitly says. By this we can do everything he does. How is this that big of a difference?

What you must do to be a Christian is believe Jesus to be the Son of God. We believe that. We are Christians.

Well for one, like protestantism you're offshoot/ breakaway from the original church, which only the catholic and orthodox church hold any grounds to. Also second i've noticed, is your church has cult mentalities when your leader Joseph smith was persecuted. Instead of standing his ground he rounded up his followers, left civilization at the point, settled in Utah away from reality/civ. Literally that's cult mentality like it's not real dude im sorry. Also your triniatarian claims how are they any different from Muslims then? So yea i'd would say yea it's just borderline cult at that point. Like come back to the real church one based in tradition.

Attached: 5c762be881d64eff8fe54f696888c2cd3696977bd5fd875eb043a95193ea3f35.jpg (464x447, 36.74K)

Which is heresy
Because they're heretics.

Genesis 3:8 says God was walking. Also Exodus 33:11 affirms that God has a physical face. It even says Moses spoke with God as if he were a real friend. This indicates a physical body. Also, three men meet with Abraham in Genesis 18, which is clearly the Godhead.

Please read my OP again and see

The Church Father Origen taught about pre-mortal life.

Again, see and

Ok, and? What does that detract in anyway?

But, if I understand correctly, Protestants believe the same thing about Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox and other Protestants.

The Bible clearly affirms the need for baptism and marriage (see Genesis 2:24 for marriage, and Acts 22:16).

A follower of Christ is someone who believes Jesus is the Son of God. Muslims don't follow Christ in this respect.

Three beings =/= three gods. We believe in one God in three beings.

Guys, there is no use in debating a Mormon or any of these cults, please save your energy and time. Think about it, if you were able to successfully convince this particular OP, then the entire Mormon religion would die out. That's not going to happen. They are trained and armed to the teeth in their belief system. Once you start getting into an argument with the devil, you lose. Pray for OP and let the mods take care of this situation and give their final word.

And OP, if you're interested in understanding the differences between Nicene-Creed Christianity and Mormonism, please check out this YouTube channel and leave us alone: youtube.com/channel/UCK9RJwC7Er16-Y8dvIQ-3tw

Attached: deceiver.jpg (763x600, 42.89K)

There's not a quick answer to 2 Peter 1:4 because, essentially, that's the verse the entire essence-energy debate hinged on.
Here's an article. It's long, but if you want to know why you're incorrect, I'd highly recommend reading it. myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/Russell_partakers.html
Or you could just read Palamas' works themselves

This thread is going to go nowhere fast unless you're actually trying to learn something. We can help you, but you need to listen.

I'm trying to reach out to my other Christian brethren and hope to have dialogue. Ecumenism between our denominations.

Hope this video will help you understand why Mormons and Christians are so distant.

We're not falling for your bait, Satan. Out.

Attached: snake.jpg (763x600, 63.08K)

Your pic is related for a start: you added to scripture
And St John's exhortation at the end of Revelations is pretty explicit.
God's own condemnation of prophets who were adding words into His mouth is pretty explicit.

Joseph Smith added to what God had done. How can we, the believers in Christ, EVER consider others who embrace such heresies to be brothers? It just cannot be done. Sorry.

And I haven't even taken issue with the theological errancies taught by Mormonism, which are multitudinous and seriously grave. Pic seriously related. I can disagree with Cathbros or Orthbros and we can debate ferociously and disagree bitterly, but I still for all their issues – and I say they too are fairly … a lot-ish … yet I can still say that I have no trouble believing there are vast numbers of God's own children amongst them, my brothers, my sisters. Mormonism has just too many theological whoopsies, and they are fundamental issues too. Like the divinity of Christ. Like the Holiness or uniqueness of God. (Pic related)

What have black and white in common? It's not like we hate you, any more than we could hate a homosexual or a Hindu. But, you are certainly not one of us.

Attached: mormonism-heavenly-father-blasphemy.webm (640x360, 301.4K)

Nope.
Sorry.

Attached: nope-nope-nope-nope-nopetopus.gif (476x253, 947.32K)

OP, I invite you to watch the 12-minute YouTube video . I think that is all we can do. God bless.

I want to smash your winnie the pooh temples with a sledge hammer. Mormons deserve to be persecuted tbh

Because you're not.

Because you believe someone gave birth to God the Father, you aren't just not Christian you aren't even monotheists. Muslims are better than Mormons

Can someone please explain why according to Mormon doctrine Jesus had to be crucified and rise from the dead? Because the way I understand it, one becomes a Mormon god through obedience to Mormon teachings, so what was the point of the crucifixion? Does every planet have its own version of a mormon Jesus

OP, you say all those things you believe in that we supposedly also believe in, but you are missing an important point: when Mormons say they believe in X they say the same thing, but they mean something completely different.

Mormons believe every man is the son of God. Not in the sense that we are children of God because He created us as Christians believe, but that we are literally the offspring of the Mormon god and one of his goddess wives. This is a major difference, not just minor semantics.

The only thing that makes Mormon Jesus special is that he is the oldest son of the Mormon god, not his only-begotten Son. This makes the Mormon belief no closer the Christianity than the Muslim belief that Jesus was just a prophet.

It is a massive difference whether there is some sort of tribunal of three gods, or only one God. This is not some autistic question like whether a church procession should go clockwise or counter-clockwise. If you are not Unitarian, you are not Christian.

No, they don't. Mormons have altered holy Scripture to add their space aliens and other heresies.

Not to mention the fact that your "prophet" is a fraud, just look up the supposed "book of Abraham". The TL;DR is that some Egyptologist brought a scroll to Smith in the hope that he could translate it (this was before the Stone of Rosetta had been discovered). He made up a story of how the scroll was supposedly a long-lost book written by Abraham, and then the original got conveniently lost. Years later, after the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, the scroll was found and translated properly. Turns out it was just an instructional manual for preparing mummies. Joseph Smith is nothing but a dirty liar.

Again, you use all the right terms, but you mean completely different things. It's not about what you say, it's about what you do.

Again, this is a massive difference. Christians believe that there is only one God, not that there are countless gods but only one of them is our designated god.

I would technically classify Mormons as Christians, but it's pretty obvious why most Christians don't. Adding an entire testament to scripture is a big deal. It would be like Christians asking Jews why they don't consider Christians to be Jews.