Becoming apathetic to Catholicism

Lately, I've felt very apathetic to the Catholic faith. I used to be very into it, going to Mass all of the time, confession every week, doing all the devotions, reading the Church Fathers, etc. I still have great appreciation for these things but have felt apathetic towards Catholic practice ever since I've really started to read and study the Bible. Honestly, that's really the only thing I focus on in my faith life right now, reading the Bible and studying it often. And it really pisses me off to know how little Catholics even read the Bible but are so focused on other kinds of devotions. A lot of my Catholics friends only read and study the Bible maybe like once a month and they can't even tell me what Gospel the saying "I am the way and the truth and the life" are from… yet they pray the Rosary everyday and read the catechism more often. Sometimes I feel like people focus on Our Lady too much. Don't get me wrong, I love the Blessed Virgin, but devotions take away from Bible study… I feel like a Bible Fundamentalist at this point, yet I still hold to the Catholic faith, I'm just apathetic towards it now. I still go to Mass every week and go to confession at least once a month, but the rest of the time I prefer to read the Bible rather than the Catechism or Church Fathers. I prefer to now pray to Christ rather than reciting to Rosary.

Attached: bible-896222_960_720.jpg (960x640, 84.58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's ironic is you complain about Catholics praying the Rosary instead of reading the Bible, when the majority of the Rosary (half of the hail Mary and the Lord's prayer) comes straight from the Bible.

This isn't a false flag…

Many people don't have much of a devotion to sacred scripture, and that isn't going to damn them to hell. You say yourself you don't have any particular devotion to Mary and I assume you don't have any devotions to any saints either, that's fine. That doesn't make you non-catholic, that just makes you a Catholic with a particular devotion to the Bible. Look at all the different saints and the different ways they expressed their faith and the different acts of good they did. There is a saint for almost every small expression of Christian faith, kings and peasants, martyrs and hermits, theologians and teachers, saints that translated the Bible and saints that could never even read. Please do not take the current modern trends of the Catholics you see around you as the full expression of Catholicism, it is so much deeper than that and there is a place in it for you.

So you've basically tasted the sweetness and the inner peace of the Jesus Prayer and cannot return to reading long psalms? I don't anything spiritually wrong with that, so here is a video of dogs eating cabbage.

Attached: why.webm (640x480, 7.67M)

He probably doesn't even know the Jesus prayer, Kostas, keep your shitposts to yourself

Reading the Bible is fine, just don't make up heresy

I suppose you're right.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

So you're angry that some people have a different approach to faith and devotion which is entirely in the valid boundaries of Church teachings ? Pray and ask yourself why it does make you angry. People hear bible readings from all over the place when they regularly go to Mass. Sure, reading the bible 10 minutes a day is not a big deal and very much encouraged, but maybe that is not their way - for whichever reasons you don't or cannot know ? Maybe they go to Mass every single day so they hear the whole of the bible over time over and over again, anyway ?

That's a lot of maybes and I agree that reading the bible for some minutes a day is a great and edifying thing - after all it's having conversation with God, like when you pray. But maybe the problem is that you think you're a bit better than these other people.
I don't know you background, but from my perspective it sounds like you did way too much - too much for a normal person with a normal life - and you're angry at others because they don't put as much effort into the faith as you did. Something along the lines of
>I'M DOING SO MUCH AND THEY DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO DO IT LIKE ME. AFTER ALL IT SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM WHEN EVEN I CAN DO IT.
The caps is for exaggeration. Again, I don't know you, I don't know your friends, and I cannot and I must not judge the situation. Hence, you must explore why you are angry at others trying to do good but lack making time for bible readings etc. in prayer.

What I would do in your case - especially since you grew "apathetic" to the faith and the Church (as you make it seem from the thread title and your post) - is to pray the Compline every evening. When you fully open up to God in prayer, He can help you see what "drives" you. See also .

I'm a Catholic and I agree with some points. I wish all Catholics had read the bible but I pin this on crap apathetic catechism and parents post v2. 15 mins of bible reading grants a plenary indulgence and the Church loves reading the bible and the pillar of sacred infallible scripture. Benedictines do lectio divina which is awesome. I personally prefer scripture reading as my personal devotion right now rather than the rosary (because I haven't finished the OT yet) and I think it would be great if others did so too but I cannot fault anyone for praying the rosary as the world needs it and it is powerful.

But it is best to focus on your own zeal not others, especially if you feel you are becoming apathetic, then you are the problem not others. But your devotion too scripture is amazing and incredibly Catholic so keep it up.

That's because you have a good foundation and most people don't want to enter in biblical discussions. They are arid and fruitless 99% of the times. Also it's a dangerous way, because "I know better than the rest".

For most people, the Gospel is more than enough. To be fair, it's self sufficient. And, nobody forces you to pray the Rosary pal. Go recite the psalms.

Straight from the Vatican: vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

nuChristanity is heresy. But if you don't take the Pope's teaching on it to heart, you aren't a Catholic friendo.

Attached: tenor (1).gif (220x220, 13.37K)

It's a melting pot of weasel words but there is nothing false in that statement.

Pope St. Gregory VII, 1076

Attached: Gregory_VII_saying_Mass.JPG (1280x1156, 667.19K)

Funny how it says "the one God" not that they adore "a God" or something like that to imply they have a false idol.
Then they compare them to Abraham submitting to God.

I don't see how any Catholic doesn't just throw this crap in the garbage and become a sede

Attached: 1478999688022.png (889x911, 532.12K)

You're almost there bud

Attached: E560C7A7-15B0-4DCE-97C8-FB01AACD9670.png (400x763, 275.39K)

It doesn't say their theology is correct

But it's incredibly ambiguous. Are Muslims saved or not? If they die today, do they go to heaven or hell?
If you read just that passage, you get the impression that Muslims are just okay and don't have to turn to Christ. They are already submitting to God, just in their own way even if they have some wrong ideas & practices.

That your description of God contains misconceptions (in this case, that He commanded beating women or whatever heresies Quran contains) about God doesn't necessarily imply that you're not referring to God. If that was the case, we would reach multiple absurdities: take for example the Orthodox, who deny that Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son also. When Orthodox talk about God they worship, their concept of Him is flawed in that their description of Him is incorrect, since Holy Spirit indeed proceeds from the Son. Does their fundamental misconception about God mean that when they are talking about Him, they aren't describing Him? No, because you don't need to have impeccable understanding of something to talk about it.

If any pope who teaches this belief is invalid, and therefore if he teaches this it means the see is vacant, then we would have to reach far more back in time than VII. Popes, actual Catholic theologians, etc. have universally claimed that Muslims believe in God before it.>>642249

Attached: 1d1cc043dbc9e7a85ff6697f0e1d3503cf2dd03291c54e9dcdea40a8fc15aad4.jpg (511x787, 194.53K)

You're not disagreeing with me

Islamic moon demon =/= God

Attached: 18e3d2b29bff2d2fa41ea29b2a43b741.jpg (711x798 48.73 KB, 71.56K)

How exactly does anything here say they don't believe in God? Their religion is obviously false and evil and won't help them in getting saved, true. But this isn't the subject of this discussion.

Attached: jesus_facepalm.jpg (850x480, 67.4K)

Brother, when was the last time you partook of the Eucharist?

Attached: 679A8406-8EA5-40C4-AC67-69DEEEABA67A.jpeg (745x1053, 65.51K)

Then what about Jews?

To study the Bible is to become Catholic. Study harder or better yet, read commentaries from those who know better than you. Humble thyself.
And one twelfth of first bishops were damned and one seventh of first deacons heretics. Mystical body is not about quality of members but quality of herself.
And? This knowledge is not necessary. You think you boast in Christ but you boast in your own mind and memory.
Rosary is gospel in a nutshell and ask albigensians if it works. Also, if you think that you don't need proper catechesis then you are downright dumb.
Focus on our Lady is focus on her son. She is called Mirror of Justice for this very reason. You cannot have Christ without her Mother, nor can you have Mother of Christ without Christ.
Devotions are better bible study than any bible study.
And you read and read and yet read not. Sad.
And this is how we know that it either a false flag or pure idiocy for even the little kids know that Rosary is Christocentric prayer.

Read Saint Louis-Marie Grignion de Monfort about the Rosary.

Attached: Benczúr_-_Painting_of_St_Stephen_in_the_Basilica_of_Budapest.jpg (1796x2585, 4.91M)

This is what papists actually believe

Better a table than a trash can

You do know that Rosary is meditation about key points (mysteries) of gospel right?

You are obviously acting very Christ-like my Catholic friend. I am sure many who meditate also have fits of rage.

Why have non believers infiltrated our board?

I'm not angry. Also, seems like you need to read your bible since you forgot this episode.

Attached: 42-58227857_1024x1024.jpeg (1024x956, 227.89K)

And where in the Bible is this? Last I recall Jesus says no one can have the Father without the Son, but it never says anything about Mary. Where does the Bible says, "You must go through Mary to go through the Son to get to the Father"????

lol

You know, I've been thinking about becoming Orthodox lately guys.

I feel like the Orthodox don't completely throw out spirituality like many Protestants do, but I also feel like they're more Christ-Gospel centered and not distracted by vain repetitions that take focus away from Christ and his teachings.

Also, the Catholic Church feels like too much of an institution, with the Pope lording over everyone. I know things have gotten better today but the Pope is literally the king of a country yet Christ tells us to be separate from the world. The Pope even used to wear a tiara like a king! Orthodox bishops seem more humble and more like they're serving in a hospital for the spiritually sick rather than a worldly institution. Just look at the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople!

Also, the Orthodox still have the Eucharist, and believe Christ is really there too, and they also have confession, and still have a sense of spirituality and a solid foundation and claim. They also still have Our Lady, yet they don't over do it like Roman Catholics….

What should I do guys?

I don't know what you're talking about but okay.

Attached: uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused Christian Bale.gif (475x267, 4.99M)

Absolutely winnie the pooh begome!

Attached: DM0so55WsAApe4m.jpg (464x447, 11.67K)

'Studying' the Bible was never a Catholic thing. The priests used to teach the people and instruct them. In my opinion, praying the divine office, for example, is of more use than reading the Bible. What exactly are you studying? Do you even know the stance of other Apostolic Churches towards this 'study'? Their stance has always been that Christianity is about oral tradition and teaching, not a literary study. Because without an objective authority, how can you be sure about what a line means? Protestants may say it's clear what it means, but they themselves have thousands of interpretations.

When St Paul visited a town and established a new missionary community there, he did not leave a copy of the Bible and invite the new Christians to read it for themselves and decide what it meant.

We are not to pick up Scripture and ask what we think it means, nor listen to the interpretation of someone outside the Orthodox and Apostolic Church. But we are to ask ourselves how the Church has always understood the Scripture, and what it has always taught as the substance and content of our Faith, and in such a way we will be rooted in the Apostolic Faith for our salvation.

This meme is getting out of hand

Yeah, it's not like the Hail Mary comes from the gospel or anything… Heh…

Attached: f2be791d6c6d22f997219f4e4a66033d.jpeg (500x546, 105.62K)

Attached: laughs in American.jpg (600x600, 64.67K)

Attached: 1416351530736.png (673x501, 54.94K)

That's what I'd like to ask you, since you go around claiming that the Holy Spirit is insufficient for this role as the authority.

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13-14
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

prots should just convert to islam they are garbage tier

protestanism is a jewish religion made for the jews. go worship your jew masters

HAHAHAHAH
they are nuts about the theotokos
you're a stupid prot who thinks otherwise
honestly it's 99.99% because of anti catholic bias that's seeped in america and the west that prots become ortholarpers

Truly an orthoLARPer in the making.

Attached: 15d5ab5945f43756173f7ff50a….png (225x225, 68.79K)

Attached: Benedict and Bartholomew.jpeg (538x351, 53.39K)

bruh..

Attached: images (3).jpeg (233x216, 8.17K)

This is too much.
Basically your draw to the EOC is emotional and aesthetic. You don't seem interested in the Truth, just what looks good.
Also "not distracted by vain repetitions" lel. I'm not a prot, and I don't consider the Rosary and the Jesus Prayer to be vain repetitions in the least, but if you thought saying 50 Hail Marys a day was insufferable, just wait until your spiritual director assigns you 3,000 Jesus prayers to say a day.

I'd suggest going away and actually reading up on what you are talking about.

BO should take note, false flagging is only going to evolve to new extremes without flags

Attached: Screenshot_20170621-031622.png (1068x402, 69.45K)

The supposed antisemitism and basenedness of Jesus in the context of being anti jewish is extremely overrated and overblown.

Protestant can't into logic. Those who can begome catholic

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but if you're ignoring Christ and his teachings, you're doing something wrong.

Orthodox bishops all wear crowns to this day. Are you trolling?

Is this true of the patriarch of Constantinople, who has traditionally enjoyed the support of the Turkish government, more so than Catholic bishops under attack by Islamic militants Boko Haram in Nigeria or ISIS in Iraq? Or Catholic bishops holding firm under oppressive regimes like England, France, Mexico or China? Likewise, if you don't think that the Orthodox Church has its own politics and vying for power, you are naive.

Orthodox have Marian devotions too, and the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom has more references to Mary than the Roman liturgy.

Bearing false witness, sacred scripture is a pillar of faith so a three legged stool should be the picture