Compound Bows

This thread is for anons who may be interested in compound bows (as well as recurve bows) and archery.

Attached: RZVCB.jpg (640x640, 121.2K)

Fag

If you're not interested in archery, go away. This thread is specifically for anons who are interested in archery, not for people to throw insults at each other.

I had an autistic fascination with archery when i was a teenager, my grandparents bought me a bow, had some fun with it and got bored.

Archery is basically in the same spot as swordfighting. If you want to learn a skill that is largely irrelevant, but fascinating to learn, and gives you a glimpse on the past of long ranged combat, by all means go ahead. If you want to hunt abbos with your bow, or something like that, you are making a big mistake. While applicable, it is also clunky, has penetration / deflection issues, and if you miss and the animal runs away with your arrow under their skin, you lose an arrow, and those shits are expensive.

Thanks for the advice. If I was going to buy myself a bow, I would get myself a compound bow because they have a mechanical advantage over traditional or recurve bows and they're generally more powerful and accurate.

G'day. Archery is a great sport. It requires/builds the same sort of skills as shooting (concentration, consistency, etc.). I got a youth model recurve with a 30-35lb draw weight for general friccan' about with and hunting small game in my dreams. At the very least I can launch a flaming arrow 20m into a field saturated with fuel.
Compound bows are superior. More power in a compact package, adjustable, etc.

Attached: tmp_16993-20190107_115014468552480.jpg (4992x2808 1.83 MB, 2.24M)

I'm thinking of getting a compound bow, mostly for target shooting maybe hunting, and as very not serious shtf larping. How would I pick a decent one that doesn't break the bank? Would just going to an outdoors and getting the cheapest non-youth one be bad?

They're not that expensive, and bows are cheaper than guns and training ammo is reusable so it's a lot cheaper anyway.

FAG

Bows are fun. Cocking a crossbow was the hardest shit I ever did when I was a kid. Turkey hunting with a bow is pro tier hunting and don't forget it. Not a crossbow though, nothing about a crossbow is pro tier

can I get a compound bow without all the gay shit hanging off it?

All those attachments that come with a compound bow have a purpose, however compound bows are adjustable, so if you wanted to take all those attachments off it, all you would have to do is use hex/Allen keys to remove them.

I have a modern compound bow with all the bells and whistles, and also a plain mongolian composite bow. Guess which one is more fun?

Compound "bows" shouldn't even be called bows…

Attached: IMG_20181202_095215.jpg (2336x4160, 2.94M)

Nice.

Compound bows are merely the latest, most technological advanced and modern iteration of bows. Like all inventions and weaponry, they improve over time. Even weapons more simple and ancient than bows like blades, knives and clubs see new improvements as technology improves. Hating on compounds is as gay and autistic as hating on AR15s with the latest lights, optics and lasers attached. Nothing wrong with prefering oldschool stuff, but dont dismiss the modern advances in tech because "muh tradition"

Whatever goes for you I guess.

Nice bow.
Say, is it better to get a recurve or longbow for a first bow?

In survival scenarios (Not SHTF, but I'm talking long term sustainability) the bow and arrow has the prime advantage of being 100% sourceable from local materials in any part of the world a white man should be in. The latest and greatest compound with space-age laser aiming sight maybe not, but something suitable for taking game can be made from very few tools and materials.

As a first bow? Well, my first bow was a recurve bow, just as I have a recurve bow now too. Recurve bows have a greater effective shooting distance than longbows, they are shorter than longbows in the same strenght, but as far as I know, they recurve bows are more expensive than longbows of the same strenght. Moreover, recurve bows are more expensive to fix , while longbows are more sensitive to humidity and heat. Longbows are cheaper than recurve bows, but you wont be able to use it for more than 10 years without having to fix or replace it, depending on how you maintained it and what kind of damage it have. A properly made and maintained recurve bow will last for more than 20 years, but it will be more expensive to be fixed because of the many components it have. If you want to be a horse archer, you wont be able to do so without a recurve bow, and I doubt you'll be able to be so with a longbow.
tl;dr Try both of them and see what you like. My opinion is that start with a longbow, and if you git gud, get a recurve bow.

Bear (the company) has decent beginner compound bows for said purposes. Look and ask around obviously. One is to look at/determine your comfortable price range. Find out what FPS you want to achieve, what power (draw weight) you're comfortable with (80-100lbs), and what fits your budget. I'm not an expert or even an amateur really. Spend your shekels carefully or not at all.

Sure. A lot of "kits" will come with all that stuff (quiver, noise dampener, etc.) pre-attached, but it can all be removed. Some come bare. At bare minimum a bow with some sights and practice is all you need to shoot Orks with.

The Mongolian of course. Modernity has its advantages, but going "fud" puts you closer to nature.

Sexy. More and/or details? I said compound bows are superior but that's of course subjective. You can't re-string a compound bow in the field for instance, let alone make one.

On that pic it's a 40 lb biocomposite Hungarian laminated bow. It's made almost entirely of natural materials, with lamination on the bow to make it more resistant to humidity and heat. Sure, compound bows are easier to learn how to use and it's eaiser to learn how to aim with it, making it a more effective weapon for hunting purposes. But what's the challenge in it? I think it's a more glorious moment when you get to the point where you can shoot a common pheasant from 50/100 meters with your composite bow than with a compound bow that is equipped with all the hi-tech stuff on it. But as I said, whatever goes for you…

You cannot source arrows that would be anything above shit tier, unless you waste incredible amounts of time finding and making them.
I am far from pro, but for me, from my personal understanding, the process is as follows:

CROSSBOWS
R
O
S
S
B
O
W
S
CROSS+BOW=perfect way to kill infidels.
Proof me wrong. Pro tip: third pic related.

Attached: serveimage0.jpeg (2592x3872 104.72 KB, 4.41M)

I just don't understand what the benefits of a compound bow are over a crossbow at that point? You're using simple machines to make the arrow fly farther faster instead of relying on your own strength, so isn't a crossbow preferable at that point, or am I just retarded?

Crossbows have a much shorter power stroke than bows do. Both have their uses.

I got one of these releases for free the other day, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of it. I have yet to ACTUALLY shoot it, but also don't know what the fuck I'm doing with it.

Attached: release.png (380x380, 96.85K)

Most crossbows use a mechanical cocking device, which makes them much slower to reload. Whether or not that's a problem for you depends on your situation.

Kill yourself.

Faggot.

Apparently you don't know how to write proper English either? Since you've ended your statement with a question mark?
And there are different kinds of bows/crossbows. Stronger bows can fire quicker than stronger crossbows, but the stronger bows take more training (e.g. English longbow) and aren't always going to be as strong as the stronger crossbows. Similarly, there are weaker crossbows that don't need cocking mechanisms and thus can fire quicker (e.g. the Chu-ko-nu), but generally aren't as strong either.

Nice bow. Do you have a horse too? :^)

Attached: composite bow and chariot were paramount to Egyptian success.jpg (716x635 73.1 KB, 665.12K)

I would like to have one :D But they are rather expensive to buy (actually, if you buy them as a foals they are relatively cheap, and it's easier to teach a horse from a "foal-age" not to drop you off his back as to teach a full-grown horse not to do so) and they also require a large amount of land to keep. Also count with the price of the forage, as a horse solely fed on grass isn't going to be as strong as one that sometimes gets forage (you don't need to feed the horse with as much forage as you have to do so with a cow, otherwise the horse can get fat too).

Attached: d.jpg (720x481 145.81 KB, 37.5K)

and what would that make firearms? also you assumed I hate compounds when I just want one that doesn't have buttplugs hanging off both ends for +1 accuracy. and a structure like a klingon sword to save two ounces.
where's something svelte, robust, and handy?
think i might settle for a takedown re-curve bow.

Powerful crossbows have a much lower rate of fire than something like a longbow would have.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (634x471, 676.31K)

My problem with some of those mechanical releases is, since my bow is so short (34" I think) the string bends enough that the arrow can come unhooked from the string.
Only way around that, is either to not use mechanical releases, or get one that grabs both above and below the nock.

Learn to greentext and go back to 4chan

no

Twang

Bows… quieter than guns.

Attached: 20190318.jpg (736x931, 66.24K)

checks out

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES