Help please

I plan on attending a Roman Catholic Church this weekend or the next.
However…

I've never been to one before.
I'm a socially awkward 23 y/o, former "atheist", and unbaptized.
Zero clue on what to do when I attend.

Any input so I don't wind up making an ass out of myself and accidentally commit sacrilege?
Not memeing, genuinely panicky about this.

Attached: 1508076872230.png (394x397, 226.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just sit down and don't take the communion. Very easy, they don't really demand your participation unlike protestant churches.

And how do I do that?

Near the end people will start lining up to recieve the body and blood of Christ. When it comes to your row just remain seated or kneeling.

Gotcha, cheers.

Also if I do convert, don't I need to be baptized or something? How do I get that done?
Did I miss my chance? Pretty sure only babies get baptized…

And I'm wondering if this will present a problem later down the line. I used to be a degenerate 'sinner'; probably still am; heck I even lost my virginity while drunk at a party a few years back.
Am I winnie the poohed if the folk there find out?

Like I know about confessing your sins and what not, but honestly that's always just seemed like a dodge/easy way out to me.
Because from what I've gathered from my friend who's a "catholic"; I use the term loosely since he's still as degenerate as I was back in the day; it's essentially:
Obviously I'm not going to do that, I've swore off sex until marriage.
But still, I don't know, I guess I just don't want to be let off easy for being a sinner in the past I guess?
Get what I mean?

The norm is meant to be adult baptism. Baptising babies is valid but an exception (that has grown to be the larger option)

You can absolutely join the church. Go talk to a priest. Usually youll do a short course, then a bunch of stuff during lent and then baptised on holy saturday.

And confession is what you make it. Of course some people abuse it, but you should approach it with the intent to never commit your sins again

Cool, now is this in front of a crowd?
I don't do well in front of crowds.

When would be the time to do that? Does the priest stay behind after mass is done?
Don't want to ask at the wrong time.
That like a written test or something?

Yeah I've noticed.
That's what I thought.

Priests do sometimes stay after Mass but you might be better off emailing him and trying to set up a meeting. You can look up your local Parish (A parish is your local church) online and find his email. Also yes baptism is done in public, at a special Mass called the Easter Vigil, which is held on the Saturday before Easter. It's important when you are baptized all of your sin is washed away, and you emerge from the water sinless, so you wouldn't need to go to confession unless/until you sin after your baptism.

Attached: 4877ed9fe05c5ffb5700e6ff0e844925--pictures-of-jesus-bible-pictures.jpg (439x559, 43.36K)

Will do

That just seems… Really bloody weird to me, I feel that I shouldn't be forgiven so easily for my past mistakes.
Call me crazy, but I'd rather get the cat o' nine tails than be "let off" so easily.
Is that common belief, or is that literally just me that thinks like that?

Maybe my friend has just warped my views on confessional, he's never really taken it serious at all.
"Went out last weekend and had sex with this girl."
"Didn't you tell me you went to confession like a month ago for doing the exact same thing?"
"Yeah, I know it's awful. But I can't help it."
Shit happens at least twice a year.

but I'd rather get the cat o' nine tails than be "let off" so easily.
In fact, we all should be burning in the eternal BBQ pit for our sins. But our Lord, through His sacrifice, paid the price for us. That is “the” forgiveness without any strings attached or any catch, and the only thing we have to do is to take it. And we should do the same to others. That is why in the Lords Prayer we say “forgive our trespasses as we have forgiven others”.

user you have much to learn. Have you read the bible yet? I recommend doing so if not. It'll really clear up a lot of things (though not church practices.)
You can find it free online if you don't want to buy one. I recommend using an audio version for comfiness

Don't put headphones in ears.
Don't talk.
No one will bother you unless you do something weird that would be weird even outside the church.
Put phone on silent.
No sexy outfit.

You should ve good.

Did you grow up around m*rmons?

Noted, thank you.

Clearly.
No not yet.
Any specific version you recommend?
I know there's a lot.

Got it.
I was actually planning on keeping my phone in the house or at the very least taking the battery out so zero chance of it going off.

Pretty sure m*rmons here a nonexistent.
My aunts and uncles are Jehovas Witnesses, my mum's also recently gotten into that.
My fathers a notorious druggy, and my brother doesn't give a toss about religion.
I'm in Scotland, so I'm pretty sure it's mainly Protestants here.
Although I've never been a fan of basing my faith around a "protest" tbh, never made sense to me.
Goes back to my whole belief that the oldest version of Christianity is the one without the least (((influence))).
Get what I mean?

You sound alright, may the Lord help you on your journey

You too…

So is there a specific Bible you recommend? I was thinking King James.

KJV is the go-to but Catholics have a Catholic Bible which had a few extra books in it. You'll likely read multiple versions throughout your life so don't sweat over "reading the right one." If KJV is too difficult to understand then try ESV

Thank you for the help user, I'll check them out.

Sit in the back so you can follow along with everyone else and watch when the people in front of you are sitting/standing/kneeling etc. God bless brother, I'm so happy for you.

If you want a KJV-style bible, get the Douay-Rheims which actually precedes the KJV. And don't get the ESV either, since it's also not an approved translation. Try the RSV-CE instead.

Tacs is that you?

usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm

And you'll keep doing badly if you don't ever step out of your comfort zone.
The Church is a community, I think it can create a good feedback loop to be more social in it.

Also read on orthodoxy.

maybe

don't know who that is

All good, asked him already.
He's a friend that basically said the same thing as you when I asked him. Which I why I was wondering.

Tell your friend that if he confessed with that purpose in mind he has committed to sin of sacrilege of the Holy Sacrament of Penance.
Hell awaits him.

Attached: E74F9CB8-9354-4DC3-8DA3-F1567D84E83B.jpeg (720x960, 189.89K)

Attached: 485dbb2c9a3fb34e3f8c805915e661055acc7d85f5ba9b92cee038d1b54cf0da.png (265x209, 60.36K)