Slowly Increasing Distate for Money Python's "The Life of Brian"

Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, but after thinking about the "joke" of the movie the less funny it is and the more pissed it makes me.

I'm talking specifically about the scene at the end, where "Jesus" tries to help a man carry his cross, and the guy foists the cross onto Jesus and runs away, saying "ha ha, you're it" or something, and when Jesus complains, the Roman soldier starts beating him.

Also the song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" sung by all the crucified convicts is placed intentionally to convey life's total meaninglessness.

So the sum total of Life of Brian was not really to have fun, it was to express the rationale behind a totally depraved mode of living; that Jesus was a rube, not a hero, and instead of Resurrection, we get a newspeak Orwellian exhortation to try to at least think happy and agreeable thoughts about a worldly totalitarian state (the Romans) crushing the life out of people forever and ever, amen lol not really jk.

Brian isn't Jesus nor is he "Jesus".

No, don't you remember the scene just before that one? Where the man in white robes tries to help a convict carry his cross, and the dude just throws it on him and runs away?

Jesus wasn't in that scene at all.

We had a thread about this a few weeks ago.
Why such an interest in this movie?
Its a funny movie. Tbh nowadays you can be happy for any non-negative contact people have with christianity.

Also the sermon on the mount scene, where they have a scrap up in the back over whose nose is big? It's all the same sordid attempt to laugh at the message of Christ and present mankind and the world as so chaotic, fallen, worthless, barbaric, and ignorant.

I don't know, it was just a thought. I suppose it gets a lot of interest because it is the argument of secularism cast onto the cinema. Oddly enough the argument is not from science as we've come to expect (indeed it was never there), instead it is that mankind is so impossibly sordid that no God could love it, and that spiritual people are all fools for even entertaining a contrary notion.

If we were made in god's image, then god is just as sordid as us.

That's a Jew joke, you know. Also, do you think the world was a perfect paradise just because Jesus walked it? We are fallen, sinful, and yes barbaric.

The "joke" in the sermon on the mount scene was that the people in the back couldn't quite hear the message. "Blessed are the cheese makers?"

I think you should learn to lighten up a little and stop looking for devils in the dishwater.

Perhaps, maybe I'm just off my head, my thought was that Christ's Resurrection creates an orderly world, one in which there is a definite morality, therefore, the Monty Python crew actually cut to the heart of Christianity, knew they were doing it and did it to vindicate an un-Christian idea.

We both know they don't believe that we were created in God's image, but it does explain some sh*t in the Old Testament if you bear that in mind about God.

What happy little world are you living on where that's not true?

>>>/reddit/

Monty Python is 2smart4u fedora humour

I unironically liked Monty Python, but now I see they, along with Douglas Adams books, were precursors to this "lol so randum" cancerous kind of humour.

Always loved this scene because of learning Latin in school

never lioked that shite

1 corintians 5:6-7

Stop acting like a mudslime, OP.
It was a funny movie.

Attached: c6254b03b9b97f85a8ae9857a0260b7fe70f392aa3cbad65d808bc83ad15fe48.png (391x531, 119.01K)

now that is a joke

I've never been able to watch this scene and not crack up laughing.

It shocks me how no one corrected you on this. It was Simon of Cyrene who carried the Cross for Christ. The scene is a blasphemous parody of Christ in His suffering for humanity, which I'm sure some people here will defend because they're addicted to entertainment.

yeah honestly fuсk this board. just read the replies itt defending blasphemy.

Pro tip: Brian != Jesus

fuсk off retard

Brian is unsubtly a depiction of Jesus ban Pandera of the talmud. A false prophet and son of a whore and centurion. They just included a bit of Jesus to give brainlets and excuse to not notice that the whole story is a mockery of Christ and the crucifixion.

It's a mockery of false prophets in general.
Jesus himself is treated respectfully in the movie, as far as I can remember.

No. Brian is literally not Jesus. Brian is even at the sermon on the mount, where Jesus is speaking, so how could Brian be Jesus?

If you haven't actually seen the movie, you shouldn't comment on it.

If it makes you feel better, watch it again … but this time think of Brian as Mohammad.

It's just a joke though isn't it.

(Ephesians 5 4-7)

I'm not a big monty python fan but that is pretty funny tbh

It's not a great movie, it's a disgusting blasphemy by britbongs who are the Fedora kings

I doubt very much that is the message as that is already way too religious a message to begin with.

You on judgment day: "It's just prank, God!"

Do you presume to believe that the almighty creator of all things doesn't have a sense of humor?

Ehh, the Python Crew has their moments. I like em because me father and I bonded on their comedy.

But that's exactly what mankind and the world *are*. It's why we needed Christ's sacrifice in the first place

Humor is rooted in irony (dishonesty and Caprice) so no. I'm not a member of the temperance society or anything, don't worry. I think we're allowed to have a sense of humor but there is nothing dignified about it and God certainly does not have one.

You can't quote things out of context that are in the very thread you're quoting them in.

Wow it must be nice to know God's mind so well

No, as an Orthodox I referenced God as an incomprehensible mystery. Before that, I couldn't even into religion. I think those who try to personalize God and attribute such relatable human things as a sense of humor, are the ones who think they know his mind.

Revere, not "referenced"

I think God has a sense of humour. Look at the platypus.

humor is rooted in many things beyond irony. you are delusional and unlearned.

I feel this way about "Rocky Horror" now.

I genuinely feel sorry for you.
Also, You obviously didnt read Gospels enough and especially Jesus talking with Nicodemus.
Also, stop shaming Orthodoxy, people like you are making us to look no better than agnostics, with permanent "WE CANT KNOW" attitude, especially when bearing incarnation of Christ in mind

Attached: t. agnostic.jpg (714x949, 149.12K)

It's amazing how modern man holds nothing sacred and mocks Christianity while shariah law is being established in the UK.

Make sure you are never seen as racist is a part of the sacred code of modern ethics.
Sadly this false idol has led to terrible results in the UK

Now for something completely different:

Agnostics aren't agnostic about everything though. Also,
There's something I find wrong with that statement for some reason.

SPLITTERS!

IMO there are some pretty good scenes in the movie

But one the whole, I didn't really like the movie. I thought it was a bit deliberately provocative to Christians. Unnecessary and just pointless fedora-tipping.

In saying that, I really liked The Holy Grail.

Don't forget the parody of British communism.

I love it

wat

That is the surface level of the joke. What The Python crew were implying, is that we can't really trust what The Bible says about the sermon on the mount. This is very clear if you watch interviews they did on the subject, John Cleese et al make schoolboy level arguments against the Bible and Christ EG. The gospel narratives being untrustworthy because they were penned a generation after the events etc.

It was written by atheists to mock agnostics

because a sense of humor is all too human. There's no reason we should think he has one.

So, Jesus isn't human? Or was he not actually God? are you a gn*stic or even worse, Jehovahs Witness?
Or were we not made in Image and Likeness of our Heavenly Father? Are we not practically living icons of God? Are you a m*slim and want to reduce God to a senseless thing that muslims believe in?

Also, for the love of God, read your Bibles, at least.

Humor is a thing exclusive to humans. We are made in gods image, therefore it is God plausible must have a sense of humor or understand it.

Attached: 1305572241784.jpg (454x454, 27.86K)

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the mote from your brother’s eye.

How does this make me a hypocrite? I have a sense of humor. You have one. I don't think its sinful to have a sense of humor.

God doesn't sin but we can do that too.

Are you implying humor is of the devil?

I should have put it in quotations. I meant it not as an accusation, but as an example of what can be -perhaps easily- interpreted as humor.

Your logic is terrible. So now we can't associate traits that are "human" to God? Whose to say those aren't Godly traits that we've attained from Him? He's a mystery so you're making assumption after assumption to defend your position.

We can but is there any particular reason to? If we just personalize God at our own convenience then we're being prideful.