Canteens & mess kits

What are some good examples of canteens and mess kits?

German Canteens and mess kits haven't changed since WWI.
They just work.
Our field cutlery is also superb, although the knife is next to useless for anything but spreading butter (which is it's intended purpose).
Anyone using anything but metal is a faggot.

Attached: Feldbesteck_Bundeswehr_TSR_81_front.jpg (1200x1200 4.15 MB, 85.97K)

Oh I have that stuff too.

Attached: IMG_20181202_104831.jpg (4160x2336, 2.21M)

Wehrmacht did have global influence.

#metoo
It's quite funny, I bought one last year, and it was made in 2017 according to the stamping. Some mates of mine got into this new "volunteer territorial defence reservist" thing that sound like Volkssturm, just with old AKs and second-hand English uniforms, and they were issued with the same thing, but made in the 1970s.

I'm in the ÖTT too. It's ok, gives some cash, we have some shooting, and it's better than scrubbing plates in a restaurant or cleaning in a supermarket. Which regiment?

The fag in doesn't even show off the proper canteen we use. Fucking gay. It's the one on the left. All aluminium, can be used as a small mess kit if necessary or as a cup. And the airgap between the canteen and the hull turns it into a thermos that can keep your water from freezing even in -30°C for a long time, or keep it somewhat cold even in very hot weather.
In his video on messkits he also doesn't mention how you are meant to hold the entire thing in one hand. Second pic related. You are meant to hold everything in your left hand so you can use your right to hold your current cutlery (99.99% of the time it's the spoon). The small "cups" he mentions aren't really cups. They are supposed to hold food items that are not meant to mix with the stuff in the pot.
When you receive food you get one big ladle of soup or sauce or whatever into the big pot.
Then you receive small items like bread or apples separately, so you can dip them in the soup, or keep it separate and dry for later/breakfast in the small non-coloured cup above the soup. You also put the cutlery you don't currently need in the top with the handle attached to it. Everything in one container and in one hand, allowing you to eat comfortably without a table or losing anything. All leftovers will stay perfectly contained in that thing, ready for the next time you got some time to eat.
Also: the distance between the handle on the big pot and the actual top when closed is meant to accommodate a towel, which is partially wrapped around your messkit. This keeps everything silent, even if something bumps into you, and also is a convenient place to store a towel. Towels are underrated tbh. You will want one after fording a river, or for shaving if you got some time to do so.
Honestly, I could spend hours just talking about how ingeniously designed most of our old gear is. You can feel the greatest military and engineering minds from a hundred years ago at work.

All right, spit it out. How many reserve-fags are lurking on Zig Forums?

Attached: serveimage.jpeg (800x685 548.83 KB, 100.45K)

Don't bully, ok?

I'd rather not give away them, if you don't mind.

Nobody in their right mind would bully a reservist. You guys are doing good work.

Wasn’t the Japanese mess kit from world war 2 a cheap shit clone of the German design?

Japanese and German peopre very friendry in ord days. Stirr friendry, of course.

No wonder you Germans are autistic. It's all the aluminum.

Titanium canteens from AliExpress are almost the same price as aluminum ones from local stores.

I still don't understand how you are supposed to get that.

By sucking Belgium's cock a little more.
EU collapse when?

Only fags want the eu flag anyway.

Watch
Thee fine Nipponese gentleman explains that he took large doses of aluminium for his stomach problems over many years, and it didn't cause him the severe autism you see today :^)
What other material would you use? Steel is too heavy, copper rusts, and plastics melt. Aluminium is the only way, and the layer of aluminium oxide is good enough to protect you, as long as you don't use your fork too aggressively. Or just use plastic/wooden cutlery and problems weren't.

I really liked the Chinese milsurp canteen I had back home

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (438x350, 126.1K)

I like it because the carrying strap makes it useful for innawoods shit without a seperate pouch.

Are there any stainless steel canteens that aren't made in China? I'm looking for something similar to pic related, but made in the US/Canada/Europe/Japan/anywherebutChina. I cannot find one at all.
If not, I may just get one of those hipster-tier liberty bottles. I know, I know, single-wall aluminum. But I'll be damned if I'm drinking long-term from soylent plastic or lead-tainted chink shit.

Attached: rothco_canteen.jpg (1500x1500, 111.71K)

This German knows what he's talking about. Though I generally just stuffed bunch of small plastic bags in the empty pot, wrapped around the spork. Since, due to reasons unknown to me, we never were given any downtime or maintanance time during field exercises, meaning that during long field exercises you'd probably end up getting a food poisoning due to leftover food starting to rot in the kit during summer. Thus, you put a disposable plastic bag in the big pot like you would in a trash can, and put food in the plastic bag. Which would mean that you got like 10-15% less food due to food getting trapped behind the folds of the plastic bag.

The most retarded shit I have ever heard. How on earth are you supposed to take care of yourself and your gear then? That's 90% of your job.

Attached: reconstructed legionary sarcina.jpg (1369x1000, 297.12K)

Yeah, in fact, you were so friendly, you sent armaments, trainers, and supplies to the Chinese! Also,

Attached: Nationalist_Chinese.jpg (690x466, 80.81K)

I've criminally neglected my canteen but I picked these up for like a total of $25 off of amazon. Some of the best rice I've ever made though; I'm thinking of upgrading to something with a handle soon enough, maybe before summer.

I'm on the reservist candidate list, but not a reservist

Attached: hangou suito.jpg (1706x960, 166.97K)

That canteen is shit. I'm only ever done light use to it and the plastic lid cracked on it. I have never had that happen with a 20 cent bottle of water, but it happens to my canteen. Fuck china and their overpriced pieces of shit. I also had my chain snap on mine.

I just bought one of those cheap rothco canteens to put on my belt.
Good enough, it'll manage during a survival situation.
I'm looking for quick hydration not a lifelong fountain of purity.

Attached: whatever.jpg (430x396, 18.93K)

I have no idea. Maybe I just happened to be a retard among retards during my conscript time, but we never did any field maintenance during field exercises. In reservist exercises, we did have time to do things. Like, hit the gym, eat food, sleep, keep our kit in good condition, take a shower etc, provided that we were in our positions according to schedule and prevailing situation.

I know, there's a reason why its called chinkshit. My lid cracked when I dropped it from a coffee table so I threatened the seller with a one-star review and they came back immediately with a poorly written apology and five spare lids sent for free.
I wanted something cheap that I could throw on a fire or stove that wouldn't leach metal, so it works alright for my needs now; I'm thinking of upgrading though.
Are there better canteens out there, both surplus and new?

We used to have pics related.
99% aluminium, the rest is a polymer strap on the outside, a rubber seal on the lower canteen holder, and an aluminium lid with rubber seals inside.
The modern versions don't have an aluminium lid, and instead use very sturdy plastic, which allows for one of those NBC-mask tubes to be connected to the canteen.
The fact that the canteen is nestled into an aluminium hull means that it works kind of like a thermos for hot or cold drinks. The top cups with a handle can be used to prepare hot drinks or small meals over a fire, though I advise against it, because you are supposed to use your canteen anyways.
It has a nice hook on the back, so you can attach it to anything you want to.
The lower part of the housing allows you to handle and drink from the canteen even if something hot is inside.
We also got pouches to attach it to our rigs. Everything fits nicely, nothing rattles, you can throw it down a hill and it will still hold your fluids.

Attached: serveimage0.jpeg (600x399 75.06 KB, 31.75K)

they are trash mate
t.knower

Your mom is trash mate
t.knower

Serious: they are genious if you use them right.
Of course they will stink up if you are too lazy to fill and empty them every single day. Wash them regularly and keep the rubber seal in the lid clean. It's that fucking simple. All you have to do, is do as the Feldwebel says.
If it ever stinks, because you filled it with sugary stuff, or it looks dirty because you used too much tea, take out the rubber, fill your sink with hot (almost boiling) water, add some dishsoap and leave put it in there, let it cool off until you can put your hands into the water, and then scrub it clean.
The tricky part is getting into the actual bottle. Get a piece of strong wire and twist a rag into it, insert that into the bottle and clean it out from the inside.