Automation thread

It's been a while since we had one, what would be the ideal build for a utilitarian vehicle preferably easily capable of recon and stealth for the civilian market.

Attached: Lada Niva Bronto.jpg (1360x903 456.16 KB, 624.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer's_water_fuel_cell
jalopnik.com/5401213/have-the-taliban-abandoned-toyotas-for-american-pickup-trucks
f150online.com/articles/ford-rangers-
autofordcars.com/ford/ford-ranger-price-in-pakistan.html
nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html
archive.is/mVckN
youtube.com/watch?v=6xewS5I4Eho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just to beat Hungarianon to the punch: hub mounted electric motors powered by a bank of diesel free piston linear generators.
Direct drive means there's no drivetrain to damage going offroad, and having a plurality of motors and generators means there's no single point of failure.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer's_water_fuel_cell
Wikipedia says his machine wasn't possible. Are there anons who know better/can test it or are they right?

Attached: who_is_stan_meyer.webm (320x240, 8.25M)

Nice, but you forgot these:
You can use the electricity to power a propeller or water jet, and you if want to go off-road that much then you really shouldn't be a bridgecuck.
Not only it's stronger, but you can put whatever body you want on it. So your amphibious diesel-electric vehicle would look like an old pickup at a glance.

I'd rather not comment on that, but it remindes me of two things:
Might as well throw a wood gas generator into that car. In theory the free-piston engines should be capable of dealing with any burnable liquid and gas due to the variable combustion ration. It should be a back up only though.
Diesel fuel cells are already a thing, they are just expensive and rare. And I've heard of fuel cells that run on diesel, petrol and natural gas. They are smaller and they don't need moving parts (other than a pump system), therefore they should be even more capable than free-piston engines. One of their problems is that they generate quite a lot of heat, but that's why you should have a cooling system with thermoelectric materials. The main problem here if that something goes wrong you won't be able to deal with it in a small shop.

Attached: tube_frame.jpg (736x792, 111.54K)

Attached: Flips in Swedish.jpg (1024x683, 245.77K)

Toyota hliux and WW2 era Jeeps are still being used in warzones by Militas for a reasons. Jeep wranglers are also popular with PMC types and law enforcement. Toyota Tacoma was big with isis. Ford rangers popular with the Taliban In Afghanistan.

"Water fuel" is gimmicky Y2K lingo thats meant to get investors to cough up cash, like "solar roadways".

The only way water makes sense as fuel is if you split it apart to make oxygen and hydrogen, store a tank of hydrogen, and just inject that into the pistons. We already have gas injectors for methane, they just need to be built to higher tolerances since hydrogen molecules are smaller and tend to escape seals. Same internal combustion idea, smoother pressure curve than even high octane, only downside is the price to produce hydrogen vs the price to dig up oil (which has a thousand other uses besides fuel).
A popular way marketing can twist "water" into being fuel is if the water is being used to dilute metal hydrides, which is a way to bond hydrogen and make it easier to store.

Irrelevant to the discussion. Easily-found materials/energy have always been tried to fuel things, and often not always as fuel (see alchemical lead-gold transfusion).
Anyway, thanks for the information.

That vehicle doesn’t look very Manlet friendly.

I'm a fan of small light 4x4's like the Suzuki Jimny. Low ground pressure is the name of the game for offroad capability.

Attached: Suzuki_Samurai_near_the_summit_of_Ojos_del_Salado.jpg (3203x2241 50.37 KB, 3.95M)

While I agree with both points, how do you plan to reconcile "tube frame" with "this bitch needs to displace water and remain buoyant"? If you weld up a contiguous steel skin/hull/skidtray that encapsulates the vehicle below the waterline (excepting the wheels, prop, rudder, et al), doesn't that defeat the purpose of the tube frame? The only other option is bolt on a bunch of pontoons, the combined displacement of which exceeds the weight of the vehicle, and then just let the inside get wet.

Also, this whole conversation is based on the assumption that you're building a vehicle bespoke for the purpose. What's really going to happen is:

But it's fun to talk about these things.

The tube frame is basically a built-in roll cage, so welding a "skid" to its bottom shouldn't be a problem. Imagine the Schwimmwagen with a roll frame that's shaped so that you can hang a body from it.

Attached: Schwimmwagen_01.JPG (2048x1536, 2.42M)

Ford, Built Taliban Tough
Surprised we haven’t meme this yet like when isis were driving those Toyota Tacoma’s. Apparently Pakistan Taliban and isis are driving ford rangers now too.
jalopnik.com/5401213/have-the-taliban-abandoned-toyotas-for-american-pickup-trucks

f150online.com/articles/ford-rangers-

desert-transport-afghanistan/

autofordcars.com/ford/ford-ranger-price-in-pakistan.html

Attached: 551D1F20-73D8-48E3-840C-503DAAF2F458.jpeg (1000x639 59.72 KB, 1.01M)

Like where exactly? toyota landcruisers stick out like a sore thumb outside the shitskin 3rd world

nigger, there are cars that run on compressed air

Fatbikes are gay and slow get a road bike from around 1975-1990 or a good mountain bike, avoid dual suspension models as they are heavy and specifically designed for downhill sport.

Bicycle for any distances

Attached: sez.jpg (300x275, 70.31K)

Pretty sure they usually drive Hilux's

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (800x450 377.29 KB, 458.2K)

If I had to guess. 50% of isis trucks were Toyota Hilux”s, 30% were Toyota Tacoma’s. Last 20% were other random truck brands like Ford and Nissan. Keep in mind a lot of Isis trucks could be mysteriously traced back to dealerships from Dallas Texas and Sydney Australia. For some reason isis also gotten a few used Ford F150s from plumbing and logging companies. With company phone number still painted on the doors.

Kawasaki m1030M1
but why on a motorcycle? I assume the only reason the military uses MOGAS and diesel with these things is the pure logistical convenience.
Plus you can just fab new tanks pretty easily with pretty much any kind of material you want. Drop the 4.2gal tank for a smaller lighter 2.5gal tank and strap on quick release fuel bladders in case you need to drop them for extra maneuverability and speed
Personally I'd want some more ponys down there but you are still looking at 60-80mph top speed fully loaded
The only downside but also an upside is that they are entirely limited to rider skill. They can go pretty much anywhere their rider can. Sure you are a little limited space wise but it's not much a of a problem for recon.

Never heard of free piston generators before this but they seem like kind of a noisy meme from what I've seen so far. What's the big deal with them? What's the point of having a tradition cylinder driven engine if you are just moving the pistons with exhaust gases from a turbine?

Every car technically runs by compressing and burning air with the help of fuel

Attached: M1030.jpg (504x360, 55K)

Does not compute. What the hell is this turbine that you are speaking about?

You know those shake-to-charge flashlights? The ones with a magnet in a tube that passes through a wire coil?
Imagine that, except you make the magnet into a double-ended piston, and you put an ICE combustion chamber at each end of the tube.

The advantages are it's compact, it has a minimum number of moving parts (as few as one with two-stroke scouring "valveless" designs, and the free floating piston means the compression ratio is variable, so it's comparatively easy to make it run off of any burnable liquid or gaseous fuel.

I'm-Just-Your-Friendly-Neighbor mode:
Toyota Prius
+ rear seat delete for equipment storage
+ 2 bikes on a roof rack
2019 model is available as AWD
50+ mpg easily in town (21 km/liter; 4.7 liters/100km)
silent at very low speeds, very quiet until highway speeds
It's honestly the perfect 2-person urban patrol vehicle.

John McCan't, god curse his corrupt soul to hell, sold them those trucks which were donated by car dealerships as "trade ins" under the trade-in stimulus plan in '08/'09.

One random plumber traded in his vehicle and started getting hate mail when his car, with the plumbing logo and phone number still on, showed up in ISIS training videos.

Mark-1 Plumbing
Good ol' Cancer Brain McCain

Attached: mark1.jpg (618x410, 84.72K)

Its very easy to improve a vehicles fording ability, as long as it has a decent engine and is 4WD.

Basically just extend the exhaust to the top of the roof, this will prevent the exhaust from being flooded. Plug the grille at the front of the car and install a tarp into the engine compartment with some caulking so water can't come in. Run another vent to the roof so the inlet has some oxygen for the reaction. Seal as much of the car as possible and run a small DC motor to bilge whatever leaks through.
Presto! That's basically what the Vodnik is.
The 4WD will provide about 3 knots speed on calm waters, but if you get a truck just install an outboard motor in the rear and you can motor at 10 knots.

The only reason US military consistently fails to produce amphibious vehicles is a lack of imagination and economic incentive, if the Russians are doing it you can bet its piss easy and cheap to do.

most of those trade ins were junk so someone in government actually invested money and auto mechanics to fix them up before passing them on to people who use the same trucks to run down entire crowds of people in europe…. try wrapping your brain around that!

Upon further inspection I have revealed the culprit.

Attached: 1482771605295.jpg (600x745, 93.75K)

To be honest. Cars showing up with isis sounds like a great plot for a dude where’s my car sequel/

Like this?

ahhh, I missed the linear part and I was looking at the gif of the other engine backwards. Turns out the ICE drives exhaust gasses drive the turbine not the other way around.
Looks pretty neat

Attached: LCE-animation.gif (489x489 330.21 KB, 802.01K)

How can something be so gay yet awesome at the same time?

Diesel doesn't use spark plugs so it's good if anyone wants to fuck up your shit with an EMP as you don't need electricity for it to work.

That's a far fetch. Glow plugs still need electricity, so you would have to compression start your bike without a kickstarter somehow.

Attached: tiger_firing.gif (480x270, 1.87M)

things not mentioned in this pic:
its about 150,000$ tho, compared to a

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1035x800 2.37 MB, 5.43K)

why is the image black? wtf

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1035x800, 292.86K)

this is just a metaphor for achieving higher state of existance

make the tires bouyant
another solution would be making just the lower chassis into a boat

Attached: flawless ressoning.jpg (480x361, 65.93K)

Modern bicycle corps.. can it work?

That's how I like my girlfriends

Attached: sys.jpg (229x200 98.97 KB, 402.14K)

No one has mentioned the Mahindra roxor. It's basically a direct copy of a CJ-5 but with a 4cylinder diesel. It's sold as a side-by-side, but many states allow them to be street plated. It comes limited to 45mph, but if you just disconnect the transmission speed sensor it'll do 65.

Attached: Roxor-OliveDrab-MH2361-01.JPG (425x340 171.16 KB, 28.09K)

I

Never underestimate the CIA's ability to serve zog.

Lets start with Statement Of Requirements (SOR).

That having been said, IMO this will diverge into "Lite Open" and "Heavy Enclosed".

I'll do HE:
4x4
Van shaped (livable, ambulance, tradesman, cargo hauling AND storage).
Hybrid drive with good engine off ability (stealth and powering aux systems)
No-nonsense utilitarian transformable body (goes without saying)
Optional amphibious kit.
About size of standard American full size van (2002 Ford Econoline 250) with kit option to make full standing head room AND/OR extended rear.
Tow hitch on back AND front Class III or better (carry 600lb motorcycle on front, or just tool boxes).

E-bikes have silent engines

BTW, if you want to know why the F-35 is such a steaming pile of shit, it's the engineers having to cope with this kind of conflicting laundry list of requirements and no way to tell the people in charge that they're idiots.

I think the requirements I listed are much more feasible than what they're asking for the F-35.

If you're willing to drop the speed and MPG, what you really want is a small diesel powered 4x4 tractor. Mechanically simple, easy to repair, can tow/haul, robust.

For recon and stealth, why do you need a wheeled vehicle at all when a drone can do most of what you want without exposing yourself to danger?

Has anyone ever made a diesel powered motorbike? I can only imagine how heavy and slow it would be. I could see putting one into something like a Goldwing, that long distance tourer market might go for it just for the extra range.

nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

Forgot this: archive.is/mVckN

Motorcycles or ATVs are still the best "recon and stealth" land vehicle. If you want it to be quiet, you could use an electric motor scooter, but it will only go a few miles before going kaput. I had one for a few years when I was like 13 and it was back-heavy enough that I could have easily put better tires on it for dirt roads/mountain trails and attached a light weapon to the front of it/re-mounted the headlights and use those ports to mount a gun.

I agree. I've wanted a super-quiet dual sport for just that.

but when I asked a few shops about an extra quiet muffler for a bike they all just looked at me like I had 3 eyes.

I'm surprised this is not more of a thing, being able to fire up a bike without waking up the whole ghetto.

I'd probably want a water cooled bike so I could add extra panels if needed, and because water cooled should be quieter to start with, and better for sneaking around at low speed without much airflow.

Attached: rainbow lel.jpg (500x500, 31.41K)

I like the Wood Gas option.
in EOWAWKI even after all the other fuel has been sucked out of every tank, you should still be able to find various wood for a while.

I'm pretty sure the right Wood Gasser could make use of just about any oil from any plant source, such as grass seeds, peanuts, furniture, house frames, etc.

Lada Niva is pretty much spot-on in that regard.
Pretty spartan car and has been produced for a long time now.

Lightweight and towing are mutually exclusive.
Powerful motor and good mileage are mutually exclusive.
AWD and easy maintenance are mutually exclusive.
Going off-road and going over 100 are mutually exclusive.

Any surplus military utility vehicle will do the best job but it won't meet half the requirements. There's no such vehicle that would.

Do you need to be as quiet as to approach the enemy to 200 meters rather than 2000 meters you'd do with a gas powered bike?

Aren't they made in India? I looked at one but I didn't want to drop $15k on something built by the street shitters.

I figure you need a good mechanic and a good driver to really get things going.
youtube.com/watch?v=6xewS5I4Eho
>>>/o/

Attached: anus.jpg (796x344 3.61 MB, 56.7K)

Niggers

Attached: 94b33dcf2b6b64552873e47379a0104de836555177d6d511232ec1dbe4ad3c11.jpg (1280x851, 282.67K)

If you are an Amero nigger import a Toyota Heliux

it is illegal to import a cat under 25 years old to the united states if it was not made to nhtsa certification.

car not cat lmao

Attached: sickstunts.png (1053x700, 864.32K)

>

I agree, a healthy cyclist can easily cover 100km in under a day on a comfortable bicycle. Also in an urban environment the bicycle is unmatched in maneuverability.

Yes, but have the official license to make modern Wilys jeeps, people are snapping them up and Mahindra is trying to find a way to make them street legal around the world.

In regards to other brands, Mahindra (India) and LDV/Tata seem to be making okay pickups/utes for rock bottom prices, for a basic vehicle they look great, but im worried about the rest.

Outclassed by an enduro motorbike.

725kg to 1088kg
16-20 hands high on average (1.6-2.0 m approx)
Got to concede this one - draft horses are made for endurance and strength, not speed
Very
Does all hoof drive count?
What's a road?
Literally what they're bred for, assuming you have a reasonably well built trap to hook up to them
Even better, grass powered, your fuel is found scattered all over the ground for free
Self repairing to some extent, and much less finicky/maintenance intensive than a hunter or thoroughbred
Hard to convert kg-grass/km to l-diesel/km, any suggestions?
Unless it gets shot or you try to do something stupid with it, sure.

Attached: Clyde & his Dale.jpg (700x642, 62.85K)

I know they have the license to make Willys Jeeps, but what I want to know is if they're built to last. Them being built by Pahjeets is what calls this into question.

>riding a draft horse
>20 hands on average
I'd ask what that was in penis lengths, but you'd say 40 and I'd say 10.

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

How would a golden-age Mercedes or 90s Toyota fair in the apocalypse.

Attached: Toyota Corolla AE95.jpg (1200x754 492.54 KB, 211.54K)

Fiat Panda Cross, but they don't sell them in the US AFAIK. It's the go to car for people living in the mountains in Europe (which villages streets were never meant for cars).

Can you speak from experience that they're good reliable cars and won't kill you in a crash.

Attached: 1387393720466.jpg (510x532, 50.45K)

Why would it need too? Electric motors would be sealed and don't work on combustion, a battery big enough to sustain them for a few minutes and a good of road capability would mean you don't need it to float. You don't even need pump jets.

Amphibious is for pussies SUBMARINE car is where it's at.

Well I never "crashed" in one if that's your question, I've rolled around in one of the old one when I was younger and the car had literally nothing except glass broken (not even all of them) and basic body damage.

I've got one of the new ones and it goes almost everywhere my Polaris goes. It's only "downside" is that it's small (but designed well enough you have proper room in 2 seats config. And it's not really a downside where I live but it's like 1/2 a Navarra, maybe less, to give you an idea) and it's less "comfy" to drive off-road (smaller and lighter = jump around more), the offset being it's "easier" (more maneuverable).

I've got it for over 2 years now and never had any issue personally (they did a recall over something, but they took in charge everything and everyone I talked seemed competent enough).
While the rest of the brand has a "colorful" reputation, the panda always had a stellar one (it's largely a niche thing for interior market, people forget but Italy is mostly mountains, it's the car for the rural Italian, the kind that won't hesitate to kidnap Fiat executives over his car trouble, so they're well done enough that a shitload of European, even Swiss, police use them as they have the same effectiveness as a big, proper and pricey, European 4WD like a Class G or a Defender).

What about the added weight of adding all fo your bug out shit? I'm fixing to put a 1.6 Geotracker in mines. But I also want to carry a spare motorcycle/dual sport in the back.

Toyota Tacoma's are practically the same thing, no point in buying and importing for the name change only.

I've a got a Suzuki Vitara, it's AWD (or 2 wheel for highways), a v6 engine, and it's amazing at 3 point turns in tight forest roads. I use it a lot for my forest inventory work. It squeezes right through ATV trails.