I am reading a greek bible, what does the word "gnose" mean ? Is that necessarly bad ?

I am reading a greek bible, what does the word "gnose" mean ? Is that necessarly bad ?
And what about gnostics ?

Attached: Thinking_Face_SCF.png (1227x1227, 264.79K)

If you can read koine greek you definitely know what gnosis means.

I am not sure, because people tend to give it different definitions. Also some use "gnostic" as an insult. Why ? Isn't the word gnosis good ?

Gnosis means knowledge. The Gnostics were a specific group of people who believed that the God, or "demiurge", of the Old Testament was created by Sophia, the seventh divine being created by the true god who they call Monad.

If gnosis mean knowledge then is it bad "to have knowledge" as the word gnostic mean ?

I'm not sure, people tend to have a very different approch of this notion in this board… So I'm a little confused.

Attached: thinkolic.png (90x133, 7.28K)

Nice subtle way to restart this topic again. We literally had this topic like a week ago before it was deleted. What more is there to add. We know that the meaning of gnosis does not pertain solely to the Gnostics, but beyond talking about a specific type of knowledge there really isn't anything to elaborate upon.

Gnosis, noun, is the greek word for knowledge and understanding, nothing wrong with that.
Gnostics, proper noun, were a group of ridiculous heretics whose silly misinterpretation of scripture and their phoney baloney 'testaments' led them to believe that God was evil.

But if it just designate someone that "have knowledge". It's not necessarly evil.

It doesn't designate that though. The term Gnostic refers specifically to the group and no one else. That is the definition of the word and has been for close to 2000 years. Just like someone that believes in certain fundamentals is not that same thing as a fundamentalist. This entire thread is just arguing about semantics.

(get thee behind me!)
It isn't just a designate for someone who has knowledge. I don't think the term gnostic is ever used by english speakers for anything than to describe these heretical sects.

But I've read it's used by fathers of the church to designate saints.
(funny for the 666)

gnostic have initially been designated as "false-gnostics"

When you use the word but please actually put a rebuttal in there. The church fathers wrote in greek, not english. The word has negative connotations in english because of its common association with the heresy.

a rebuttal ? I understand you need references, I have seen saint irenaeus use the word I'm talking about.
So that's just modern connotations apparently. The real definition of gnostic isn't bad, great.

Sounds less like theology but purely in relation to the metaphysical.

Back to >>>/christ/ you silly Cathar,
No one will take you seriously here

Yes, words tend to change their meanings over time. Faggot used to mean bundle of sticks. If you want to use archaic definitions for words go right ahead, but don't be surprised when people think you're saying something completely different.

Because the word gnostic can point to its original meaning, he who holds knowledge, or a completely abstractly different idea, that is a specific group and the teaching of said group.
Said group is considered brainlet tier, to put it in youth speak.

So gnostic can have two meanings, much like the word Catholic, Orthodox or evangelical.

how am I cathar ? was I saying something heretic ?

But the Church base itself upon the Tradition, not on secular wordchange, sorry. If for example church fathers give a definition to substance, then we should keep this definition in mind as the most important, no matter how the biology or other field use this notion. Same for a lot of examples of words or even names, we should stay precise and academic in order to stay loyal to our fathers in the faith, it is better by far than going with the time.

Then why are you speaking English? If you're this hung up on a single word experiencing linguistic drift after no less than a couple millennia you've picked a very strange language to converse in. What is even the point of this thread? I consult an interlinear fairly regularly but I don't have a mental breakdown when I do.