Cleaning tips for some old guns?

Hey guys, I've obtained some old Mausers. I don't care to divulge anymore info than that, but they have some old dried oil inside of/on all of the steel components and it's driving my OCD crazy. Would acetone harm anything on them? Obviously I won't be dunking it, I'll be applying it carefully with q tips and I'm not a moron so I won't be taking a metal brush to anything. Is there any harm in this? I don't want to risk damaging anything, but I'd like to make them as clean as they were the day they left the factory.

Attached: swede.png (1440x2560, 4.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?s=d&q=how to dissassemble mauser rifle
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Acetone is fine on steel, but you won't get very far with it. The best method of getting rid of the gunk from the black lagoon is to disassemble the bolt, trigger group any other metal part that can fit in a tub and fill it with boiling water. once the water is in add some simple green and let it sit for a few minutes. then use a copper sponge or a brillo pad and scrub.

If its just steel components what's the problem with taking a brass/copper brush to it? I've used them to clean the shit off of some used rifles I got and they didn't leave any noticeable marks or scratches. Am I just the idiot? Did I fuck up?

Attached: 0e91a37f725ddced4d88c3e4dc173930184035a44e7e3aed0a018ed7f2f6bd75.jpg (665x574, 23.83K)

i think i'll be ok with acetone if it's not damaging. it's been slow, but it's dissolving everything. the main issue is that the q tips are filling up with oil quickly. i might go buy another box. a copper brush would be fine on the bare metal parts, but there are a lot of blued parts as well.

there are blued parts. i don't want to hurt the finish of anything.

Copper is only a danger to the gun's finish. Even then you'd have to be scrubbing for a long time with the sole exception to parkerized finishes. cheap parks are prone to scratching.

Give Palestine back

Use mineral spirits to get out cosmoline. You can leave it overnight and it won't rust. For tighter corners you can try using an ultrasonic cleaner, just make sure you've got pipe cleaners or an oven to bake the parts in after it's done cleaning.

Alright guys, I have a question for anyone knowledgeable about Mausers. To remove this rear sight, do I have to take out this pin, or is it just the one grub screw? I've taken out the screw but it's not budging.

Attached: 20190301_142754_HDR.jpg (2048x1152 1.35 MB, 1.47M)

I don't want to disassemble the rear sight, I just need to get the assembly off of the stock

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to maneuver the handguard around the sight when you have it up like in the first picture. Lift it up, then turn it 90 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise and it'll come off.

Does that help or am I completely wrong/ misunderstanding you?

user, I think you may be clinically retarded.
See and here's a tip for free - the rear sight assembly is wrapped around and soldered to the barrel, you can't remove it unless you dump a few hundred rounds in quick succession or heat it up manually and beat it off.

Attached: 1170233751691.gif (290x189, 1.04M)

Do not take off the sight, user, unless you have good reason. I took it off of mine, and I am almost sure that they used a special tool to put it together. If you take it off you need two people with "dad strength" to put it together and it will be a bitch. You see that pin holding the leaf of the sight to the mount? That pin is under a ton of tension. If you want to take it out you need one person to push the spring down with a pencil or a dow, and another person will have to punch out the pin. I have done this to two different guns and bother are a bitch. You might be able to do it yourself, but putting together that way for my guns are impossible.

Sure, ok. Sorry for not knowing that. If the stock can just be lifted off as it is, then why would that be apparent? I'm trying to take it apart, not break it, which means being careful and triple checking that I'm doing it right before committing to something. The top half of the stock near the barrel isn't wiggling at all, and it feels like something is holding it down. If I stuck a screwdriver in there and pried it off, at best (if it's just sticky) I could dent the wood. At worst, I could snap the wood apart if there's a screw or fixture somewhere that I didn't take care of first. I'm ignorant about the particulars of this gun. What would you have me do? Ask questions and learn about it, or just beat it apart with a hammer and destroy a valuable family heirloom? Why do all that, why not just go spit in my dad's face instead?

Attached: viv.jpg (369x369, 13.48K)

Thanks for the tip, don't worry though, I gave up on the idea of getting that pin out earlier today. It wasn't budging one bit, and I figured there must be good reason for that. If it was required to get the stock off then so be it, it will just stay on.

I just checked to make sure I was right and I wasn't. The mosin is the complete bitch. It isn't hard to take the sight off of a m48 mauser.

You may as well if you can't be fucked to look up videos of it being done, asshole.

You fucking moron, read

I have looked up videos. The answer was unclear, so I came here for further clarification
I've already stated that it was sticky and didn't feel like it was going to budge. This means one of two things, either it's glued in place from old grease or cosmoline, or it's held in place mechanically and I haven't addressed whatever screw or mechanism may be holding it in place. If I pried it up in the latter situation, then I'm going to break something, so the obvious thing to do here is confirm for sure that it's just stuck before you go prying shit apart. If you go about stuff like this so gung-ho in your own life, I pray to God you never get your hands on any real antiques. You don't sound like you know what you're talking about, it sounds like you think you know everything but are just going in blind and hoping for the best.

You're not assembling an end table from IKEA you faggot. The Swedish Mauser isn't some complex device, the handguard is secured by the front barrel band and the rear retainer - once the front barrel band is removed, you lift the rear sight to its upward position and pull the front of the handguard upwards, slide it forward, and turn it 90 degrees, vid related.
www.invidio.us/watch?v=Ne4NlgeqIg8&t=108
If it is somehow stuck, it's probably never been apart and may need to be persuaded.
This isn't rocket science and it's not made out of balsa wood. Don't be as retarded in life as you are displaying here.

get bore snake. older gun barrel will be rougher and more prone to dirt.

I wasted hours on some old Mosins with rods and brushes, but they were clean fast with bore snake and accuracy came back.

do not use boiling water on wood stock, might turn it milky white.

Dish soap and warm water actually worked pretty decent for getting some cosmoline off my mosin.

Break down the bolt, place parts in mineral spirits for an hour or 2, brush, rinse with warm water, dry, spray with a penetrating oil like WD-40, reassemble.

lmgtfy.com/?s=d&q=how to dissassemble mauser rifle

WD-40 and a nylon brush.
Plastic spudgers or bamboo skewers for picking.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x1000 209.82 KB, 117.7K)

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES