Why is necromancy a sin?

Why is necromancy a sin?
Why was it specified? Also, If its about demons, why doesn't bible specifically mention that summoners are in contact with demons instead of the dead?
no, context is different
hafiztard replies do not apply

Orthodox and Catholic replies would be appreciated

Attached: 434px-Nagash_Derp.jpg (434x599, 36.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/christian/res/491187.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody can know exactly why God forbids something. However, I'd say probably because it leads to idolatry, trusting in the knowlege of dead people rather than the knowlege of God, and also because it uses the dead as a means to an end, rather than giving them the respect they deserve.

In revelation the use of magic and divination is conflated with idolatry and unbelief so I think it has a lot to do with searching for truth outside of God.

Whoops accidental sage, have a bump

I dunno, but 8ch.net/christian/res/491187.html

Sounds good for me, thanks for your respnses
Yeah, GW asked the artist to make him a skelly (he wanted nagash to look like a corpse) so this was sort of a midfinger for GW, but they were so lazy that they actually accepted it.

there are four active threads about genesis and evolution. This one thread wouldnt hurt anything

lol I never knew that. I actually had that mini as a kid.

Because (God said so and) practitioners of sorcery will not inherit the Kingdom of God (Gal 5:18-22)

not always as it seems in the case of Saul:

First ask yourself: what is necromancy? So let's ask someone who knows: Saint Isidore. And he says (Etym. viii) in Greek, nekron "means dead and manteia divination, because after certain incantations and the sprinkling of blood, the dead seem to come to life, to divine and to answer questions."
So Necromancy is species of divination. Let's ignore how necromancy works exaclly it's by demons, always ans ask question that stated this thead: since necromancy is in it's very esence divination, is divination a sin?

Yes, for it is written (Deuteronomy 18:10-11): "Neither let there be found among you . . . any one that consulteth pythonic spirits, or fortune tellers": and it is stated in the Decretals (26, qu. v, can. Qui divinationes): "Those who seek for divinations shall be liable to a penance of five years' duration, according to the fixed grades of penance."

But we can speak more: Divination denotes a foretelling of the future. The future may be foreknown in two ways: first in its causes, secondly in itself.
Now the causes of the future are threefold: for some produce their effects, of necessity and always; and such like future effects can be foreknown and foretold with certainty, from considering their causes, even as astrologers foretell a coming eclipse.
Other causes produce their effects, 'not of necessity and always, but for the most part, yet they rarely fail: and from such like causes their future effects can be foreknown, not indeed with certainty, but by a kind of conjecture, even as astrologers by considering the stars can foreknow and foretell things concerning rains and droughts, and physicians, concerning health and death.
Again, other causes, considered in themselves, are indifferent; and this is chiefly the case in the rational powers, which stand in relation to opposites, according to the Philosopher [Metaph. viii, 2,5,8.] Such like effects, as also those which ensue from natural causes by chance and in the minority of instances, cannot be foreknown from a consideration of their causes, because these causes have no determinate inclination to produce these effects. 'Consequently such like effects cannot be foreknown unless they be considered in themselves.'

Now man cannot consider these effects in themselves except when they are present, as when he sees Socrates running or walking: the consideration of such things in themselves before they occur is proper to God, Who alone in His eternity sees the future as though it were present. Hence it is written (Isaiah 41:23): "Show the things that are to come hereafter, and we shall know that ye are gods." Therefore if anyone presume to foreknow or foretell such like future things by any means whatever, except by divine revelation, he manifestly usurps what belongs to God. It is for this reason that certain men are called divines: wherefore Isidore says (Etym. viii, 9): "They are called divines, as though they were full of God. For they pretend to be filled with the Godhead, and by a deceitful fraud they forecast the future to men."

Accordingly it is not called divination, if a man foretells things that happen of necessity, or in the majority of instances, for the like can be foreknown by human reason: nor again if anyone knows other contingent future things, through divine revelation: for then he does not divine, i.e. cause something divine, but rather receives something divine. Then only is a man said to divine, when he usurps to himself, in an undue manner, the foretelling of future events: and this is manifestly a sin. Consequently divination is always a sin; and for this reason Jerome says in his commentary on Micah 3:9, seqq. that "divination is always taken in an evil sense."

Necromancy is a sin because divination is a sin.

When it comes to this story there are two interpretation. To cite Augustine: "there is nothing absurd in believing that the spirit of the just man, being about to smite the king with the divine sentence, was permitted to appear to him, not by the sway of magic art or power, but by some occult [in proper sense, meaning hidden, not occultic] dispensation of which neither the witch nor Saul was aware. Or else the spirit of Samuel was not in reality aroused from his rest, but some phantom or mock apparition formed by the machinations of the devil, and styled by Scripture under the name of Samuel, just as the images of things are wont to be called by the names of those things."
Former opinion is most common among Fathers and it's plain literal sense, not only story of 1 Kings itself, but also Sirach: "having fallen asleep, he[Samuel] prophesied again, warning the king of his end; he spoke from the depths of the earth in prophecy, to blot out the wickedness of the people."

How excactly would the shamans of old speak to the dead without God?

Wololo

Attached: come on now.png (598x369, 207.36K)

Even if it weren't a sin it would still be awful, simply because you throw the circle of life out of balance.

And yes, it's a thing, not just a song from a cartoon.

Death is unnatural to human beings so there is no such thing as "circle of life"

NECROMANCY IS A SIN YOU FAGGOT

Hi, Smiley

And this is necromancy

And then they went in the other direction, and may have jumped the shark, depending on how you see it.

Attached: Nagash_White_Dwarf.jpg (920x950, 83.09K)

Guess they've never heard of the phrase "less is more"

Humans do not in and of themselves have power to summon the dead. And so said power must come from God or unclean spirits. And so in the case of necromancy, being forbidden by God, this must come from demons.

As to why God doesn't mention that these things are of demons, I don't really know, but presumably he saw that the Israelites were not yet ready for it.

After reading this thread I have many questions.

1. You are not summoning the saint, but sending them a message honoring them and asking for their prayers.

2. This interaction is by God, and not devils.

Humans are either in heaven, purgatory, limbo?, or hell after death. They have no power to come down to earth of their own accord, unless God allows them to for some specific purpose. Any Ghostly/para-normal activity is in all likely-hood a demon harassing someone.

The power of you dead relatives presumably depends on whether they are in heaven or hell, with those in heaven of course being more powerful; but in either case they still don't have the power to come down to earth by their own will.

There is no sin if you didn't assent by will or action to necromancy.

Frequent the sacraments, confession and communion mainly. Observe the commandments of God, pray to God. This should ordinarily be sufficient to ward off evil spirits. If these things arn't working and you're being oppressed by a demon then you need to contact an exorcist.

heres my possibly retarded answer
Necromancy is when you summon the dead purposefully to acquire some information or so on. Praying on the other hand is just asking them to pray for you (remember that we are immortal, hence saints are treated as alive). All of the prayers towards the saints are about asking them to pray for us to God.
All power come from God, so nobody can do anything without His permission really. It generally depends on state of their soul, but there were anecdotal references where even damned were appearing to people, but its sole purpose was to fortify their faith in God. I also wondered if the damned could possess others like demons, so I asked my priest about it. Basically what I got from him there are two things that differentiates the two:
1)All creation was made for sake of humanity (2 Esdra 8:44 >inb4 "muh apocrypha". Both us and Catholics acknowledge it as part of the bible and was so, until certain fat German decided otherwise.) and are inclined towards it and that includes angelic beings, and humans were made to interact with God, so their "priorities" and vectors differ
2)Angelic beings are fully spiritual, while we are deficient without our bodies.
In short, while dead have certain powers, they, like all humans arent full without bodies and are awaiting resurrection.
Maybe not his fault, but demons cant really predict future, they are still limited to space-time, so they can only guess. With good accuracy maybe, but still. This is one of the arguments of Orthodoxy for criticizing various so called """prophets""" like vanga. Not all of their prophecies are fulfilled, meaning that they dont come from Omniscient God, but from someone or something else.
Pray, fast, receive Communion, go to confessions often. Prayer and fasting are really important, as some " kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." (Matthew 17:21).

Necromancy is species of divination while prayer to saints are intercession made by order of the Divine law.
Humans cannot. Human is union of body and soul. But soul of human can. Well at least alive souls.
If you asked for divination then you have as much culpability as one who practices divination. If you heard it purely accidentaly i.e. you did not willed it then you are ok.
If they are saints then they are as powerful as angels, depending on their place in Heaven.
If they are not then they are impotent.
By power of God some souls from purgatory can appear to living so that they my ask for prayer. Or by the same power saints from Heaven my appear to give some revelation like Jeremiah to Judah Maccabee or Michael to John d'Arc.
Grace of God. Fast, Prayer and Alms.

I think it's pretty straight forward even in a non-religious sense.

Necromancy even without the supernatural will require people desecrating graves, probably associated with/promotes regional pagan beliefs, and spread diseases ( or"curse")

Attached: 8181174.jpg (800x800, 202.31K)

Because necromancy is magic and magic is heresy.

Attached: magic-heresy-21751470.png (500x732, 180.24K)