Theosis

Can I get a layman to explain the orthodox concept of theosis?
(And maybe some Protestant opinion)

Here's a description I found on Google.
ww1.antiochian.org/content/theosis-partaking-divine-nature

Attached: 8bb2fa32-78ed-4a3f-9524-9a09cf1a0841.png (714x963, 1.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n3BqLZ8UoZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm what you'd call a shitty Catholic (r). Haven't been through confirmation, didn't know a cathecism existed until sometime last year.

But, upon rediscovering faith, I've been applying real perception to the Bible and weekly sermons. This is where I became confused after encountering the concept.
Theosis sounds like my understanding of true Grace. Constant communion with the Holy Spirit, autoprayer, faith to move mountains, etc.

Is there more? Doesn't everybody strive for this kind of connection? Is this every orthodox, or just monks?

Attached: c0257100-19e6-4b66-8748-db01e489be5a.png (159x176, 57.42K)

It means becoming like Christ, like the saints. When you clean your heart from the passions little by little you are making room for the Holy Spirit to come and live in there and you are starting to imitating God and leaving the world behind.
It's for everyone, the monks just take a different path but every Christian's life is supposed to be a struggle. There's much more to Christianity than "be good boy - go heaven"
Anyway your link gives a better answer but you wanted a normie explanation so here you go.

Bravo

youtube.com/watch?v=n3BqLZ8UoZk

CATHOLICS HATE HIM!

See how Jay Dyer BTFOs Catholics and their neo-Platonic theology in one simple step

It doesn't stop being like that

From here on out, it is best to refer to "Catholics" simply as Vaticans. They lost their Catholic distinction many years ago.

tl;dr: To Become by grace what is God by nature. The word itself tells you that its about becoming more and more Godlike

I think the term you are looking for is papist, amigo. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Attached: Nast Anti-Catholic Papist Drawing.jpg (861x586, 291.46K)

Through spiritual osmosis you *begome* God

Attached: 209fe47b460f4d8185ed813859267639e27fa0f98fbca1006b04aa7039da4e21.png (755x703, 375.56K)

You shouldn't call something heresy if you don't even understand what it is.

Now thats an anime I would watch

stop shilling here jay no one is gonna buy your videos

Now this is just Steven Anderson tier

A wood thrown at a fire will crack and be destroyed.
A rock might heat up but little no nothing changes.
A metal ingot thrown into the very same fire will change its form to suit the fire vessel and will glow like the fire and become more like the fire.

That's the braindead wojak analogy I came up with. We must be like the metal ingot with the will of God and the Holy Spirit.

Eh, first one leaves a seriously negative implications, so you should've worded that one better or used a better analogue.
But the third one is actually used as an example since ancient times so kudos for that for discovering it on your own.

Pretty sure it's ancient church fathers tier. Should I start quoting or nah?

Attached: 08c82d53f6cc4925ceb74a0dffe53797feb1e4fd54bb9337124ffa20b99e9d54.gif (245x180, 1.6M)

Not sure how true it is, but I believe I heard somewhere that famous Reformed theologian Jonathan Edwards also had a concept very similar to the Orthodox "theosis".

Reciting an out-of-context quote about something is not the same as understanding it. Try actually reading On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius, and maybe a few other things about theosis (since it is only treated in passing in On the Incarnation). I'm sure you'll find that no one is saying that we become equal to or even partakers of the divine essence (since I'm sure this is what your understanding of theosis is, or rather might be if you were familiar with these terms).

Not an argument

its polytheism

2 Peter 1:4

It is only negative to the wood chip but not the fire.
Some people are so detached from God that flowing them with Grace would feel like torture to them.
Imagine a satanic pedo kike actually being filled with God's beauty and not pedophilic perversion. It would be torture to them.
I had a protestant friend tell me he was worried if european football was allowed in heaven. Some people are just so wordly they are not able to do anything with the fire that is the Holy Spirit and they crack.

Attached: ajELqXw_460svvp9.webm (460x460, 1.23M)

I was talking about the implied annihilation in that metaphore

its polytheism

You know who else do this kind of shit? Jews

Attached: hide-anime-threads.png (429x308, 359.2K)

curb your autism, darling

Attached: 1527350211696.jpg (310x310, 29.78K)

You need a picture to start a thread. Some people prefer cute girls. And motorbikes.

I found a Vatican II catechism at SVDP today. Will return with results, if you guys are interested.

Attached: 1463513667609.jpg (1500x996, 909.57K)

>>>/lds/

>>>/endlesscelestialsex/

I thought that Catholics were Aristotelian and Orthodox were Neoplatonic

It is to become, by grace, more like God.

Great video, love it.
Other way around, Aristotle is the guy who didn't believe in universal forms.

Its an artform tho.

Before even getting past the declaration of faith, the cathecism explains a similar concept.
(From memory)
In the beginning, Man was created with the purpose of being stewards to Creation. As the only creature uniquely positioned in friendship with The Father, we borrowed from the divine nature to perform our duties. The Spirit flowed through Adam and Eve, and it was good.
All sin is likened to the first, in that sin is disobedience of God's command. Even today, disobedience disrupts communion, and Grace is lost. Original sin is literally loss of the initial dose of Grace.

(Independent thought)
Based on this, and the description given of Theosis, it sounds as though when properly executed Theosis is a reinstatement of original Grace.
It's described as though it is beyond apostlistic levels because it is the perfection of our Grace. It is the point at which you have surrendered yourself enough to discard sin entirely, and can freely access divinity as we were originally meant to. Hence the description " caught fire" with The Spirit. This is not dangerous or unholy because by discarding the will to disobey allows perfect fulfillment of God's will.

Sounds like exactly the goal we all should aspire to. I think this is my new area of study.

Corrections? Comments? Anybody else want to focus on this specifically, and trade ideas from time to time?

Attached: 8c07ff99-0f8f-4ae1-9f26-a62b55c370d0.jpg (450x299, 34.62K)

Most Holy Trailer Park Monastery really ticked Dyer off with that anti-Orthodoxy video.

It's autism vs autism, the fight of the century

For me it seems to be a Holy and righteous/right hand path version of the Law of Attraction. Where you don't so much manifest what you want, but by living in communion with God's grace and "listening" when the Holy Spirit speaks you will become the best version of yourself.

I wish there was more about how to actually live in Theosis. All the books I find just support the idea of it and explain what it is but not how to go about it, save for attending Liturgy partaking in Communion and utilizing the Jesus Prayer.

Attached: 1512364458610.png (1920x1080, 2.78M)

Orthodox understanding of theosis is radically different from other Christian conceptions. St. Peter's enjoinder that we are to become "partakers of the divine nature" is taken literally and something that is possible in this life, not something deferred to the next in the beatific vision. We are to become God in every way save identity. This isn't possible if one has the conception of God as absolutely simple essence as the Catholics and Protestants, but only if there is a distinction between God's essence and his energies.

See the first pdf of this post for a good overview of the essence/energies distinction:

You are making advances with your effort by the grace. I would say this pleases God much more than receiving a sacrament passively. First is the heart and later the forms. Apart from this Catholics are called to live in a sacerdotal way.

What is theosis? Is it like union with the absolute of eastern religions? Is it becoming God or merely being adopted sons?
It's simply impossible to tell, because it is above reason and can't be understood unless through direct experience.

God willing you will have your answer, in this life or in the eternal life.
Clean your mind from things you can't know, because it is not helpful nor necessary to be a good christian.

no, this is absolute garbage
no not Big-G at least, small-g one is applied to us already in psalm 82:6
this is part of it, but not all of it

Church knows very well about the subject and it was part of apostolic Christianity since time immemorial. And yes, it is helpful to be a good Christian. We got pr*testantism and their meme """"theologies"""" after this concept was forgotten there

Attached: d621592a894d729a38793ce4df1b8bf4a10dd97ba774b88accff005ffff769ab.jpg (1845x2331, 1.68M)

Attached: DgJT1XmX4AA5Wps.jpg (654x717, 25.53K)

But God essence is unapproachable to us. We can only contemplate God in his divine energies which were manifested as the divine light on Mt. Tabor and the fire/light on Mt. Sinai. The Latin conception of God is heretical because it reduces his essence as a part of creation. Anathema!

I like the idea that we are walking alongside christ rather than that we are considering his actions from afar.

I would certainly argue there is a time and place for both. For his miracles, wonders, and majesty the Roman catholic way makes a ton of sense, but in the acts of spreading the word and performing miracles (even small ones) i would argue that the Orthodox explanation makes more sense.

Am i wrong? I dunno i'm currently protestant but i think this is interesting to discuss, might even be worth its own thread.

Returning to this thread, I see that there's only a passing mention of "The Jesus Prayer." However, the name has stuck in my mind like we had a full conversation.
With my new job, I've bought a book of Bishop Kallistos Ware's writings on the subject. Has anyone read it before? Are there any Orthodox concepts I should review to understand his ideas fully?

I've personally been reading through St Augustine's "Confessions." The book provides a nice account of struggle with sin from someone who won. He approaches a variety of topics, but as of the last two books, it appears his thesis will be "Not loving things as things. Instead loving things as you love God." Or to rephrase, loving God in the course of loving things.
In example, I enjoy riding my motorbike. However, to simply love bikes for the sake of bikes puts bikes above God.
But, loving the headspace riding the bike puts me in; loving the view of God's creation my visor affords me; loving God's children, as I wander and meet more and more. That is to love God BY riding a motorbike.
Or something like that. It's a radical line of thought, coming from the most secular part of the US, but I feel like each day with it brings me a little closer to God.

And if it wasn't obvious already, I'm looking into adapting hands-free methods of meditation/contemplation. I just got a job as a city postman, and it lets me spend all day working on this. Any other recommendations? I'm thinking of reading St Ignatius's "Meditations" also.

Attached: 92faa4ca-a9a1-4622-bba9-4254d6c74730.png (1280x720, 1.23M)

christian server

discord gg/Xw4V7Jb

Ancient Faith Radio has a literal ton of podcasts you can download and listen to, check their stuff and I'm sure you'll find programs that are about the questions you have.

From Seraphim's Acquisition of the Holy Spirit;

"However prayer, fasting, vigil and all the other Christian practices may be, they do not constitute the aim of our Christian life. Although it is true that they serve as indispensable means of reaching this end, the true aim of our Christian life consists of the acquisition of the Holy Spirit of God.
…"

It happened last night, Anons. I was up for no reason, tossing and turning in the bed. I have a habit of praying to unwind, and decided to try something different this time.
Understanding, instead of thinking, I offered one of my usual petitions (bring my agnostic girlfriend back into the fold). Except this time, I thought about the apostle's question. "How SHOULD we pray."
I know for a fact The Lord's Prayer is raw power. It has saved me many times from destruction, allowing my soul to cry out when my mind cannot find the words. But this time I combined everything I had learnt about prayer.
From the Rosary, deep in my childhood, I found the quiet space for contemplation. From The Jesus Prayer (the book came) I brought both renewed meaning, AND a commitment to have my heart gaze at the Lord. To bring to bear my love for God with every word.
And finally, the nature of the Our Father dawned on me. I said a prayer in seven parts, addressing seven pleas, with each one running parallel to the meaning behind each verse of the Lord's Prayer.

It worked in so many ways. I felt The Spirit alight on my head, and spread throughout my body. I heard the whisper of God's presence.
My tinnitus frickin changed pitch.
Since then, I've felt a kind of euphoria I can only attribute to actually humbling myself before The Lord properly. There's a lower key warmth that hasn't left since the initial shock, and it is honestly better than drugs.

I feel as though this small gift is literally the mustard seed. Or a handful of talents. It's precious, and I don't want to lose it.
But I know this is only another beginning. So I wanted to share it with you, and encourage anyone else looking.

Don't give up, because when God comes to you, you'll know.

Attached: image (2).jpg (1280x960, 255.05K)

E N D L E S S

Attached: Mormon_Jesus.png (1277x737, 562.69K)

RCC believes the right as well why do you guys always have to do this. This is literally what we believe Holy Communion does.

Naw, man. Better than sex, and this is just the trial version.

(I know this is a joke, but if it was true—and the best promise your cult can come up with is sex? Really, man?)

Attached: 6c1e90a8-470e-4152-9f35-aebbfa4c446c.jpg (1280x720, 279.41K)

reported

Don't post anime fapbait here.

Attached: sdsdse.jpg (397x334, 26.61K)

Get a sense of humor.

Yeah. No.
Already through this. People like things. Sometimes these things are different from your things.
And I'm pretty winnie the pooh crude. Some people renounce sin instead of starting perfect.
This picture is wholly unoffensive to me.
(Sage)

Attached: 8dbabf45-6146-4cbb-b98b-d58f3e4df26d.jpg (500x576, 172.8K)

If you really consider that a fapbait, then I think that you have some…issues.