Blackpowder Munitions Thread

>Bombs
>modern guns?
Law-fags, history-fags, and timetraveling-fags
Wherever you're from, welcome to the BMT

Whether you make black powder at home, buy it, or even if you use Pyrodex & 777, its all an important staple in guns, whether you know it or not

Black powder has been used longer than smokeless, but has almost been completely forgotten bar from those that can only use it
Even though black powder has still killed more than smokeless, it is only seen as a harmless sporting good & passed away by many fuds from it's true potential

Affix bayonets & get to discussion

Attached: 1858 Army.jpg (5616x3744, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-70
underhammers.blogspot.com/2012/06/underhammer-history-short-version.html
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/25/making-gunpowder-from-urine-natural-materials/
ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments.html
davide-pedersoli.com/guns-rifles.asp/l_en/partenza_0/idl_2/rifles/rifles.html
davide-pedersoli.com/guns-for-sale-pedersoli.asp?l=en
youtu.be/a5YB6dwl9rU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the best overall, in regards to both cost and performance, bp revolver? And on that note, what is the optimal caliber for bp revolvers? The general understanding is that here's a max feasible velocity for bp, and so bigger ball = better, but I'm sure the physical size of the frame or the increasing amount of bp you have to carry around makes that debatable

Attached: e8e2b4d8fe047a32c4c73dbcd335b72e5354651cd26a1fd1e29660ba19f2616a.jpg (700x501, 33.35K)

Howdy partner!

Seriously though, are there any other post-1968 cap and ball designs? I figured more companies would exploit that.

Are you using real BP or a substitute that doesn't fowl as much?

Real BP? 1860
Sub? 1858. It's less reliable under heavy fowling but other superior.

Attached: Ruger_Old_Army[1].jpg (600x600 130.91 KB, 36.24K)

Daily reminder that Eurofags should get a black powder revolver if they cant get a gun licens

Haha yeah

Attached: 1535955674758.jpg (804x640, 37.91K)

Anything by Uberti

It's generally easier to made cartridge-firing guns, mainly because people are retarded and subconsciously try to blow up their guns and you have to compensate for that, see any shenanigans relating to the Savage 10M smokeless muzzleloading bolt action.

Off the top of my head, I know of the NAA Companion, Ruger Old Army, H&R Huntsman, Diablo 12 Gauge Pistol, Westlake Engineering .38 Special, and various inline percussion rifles and shotguns.

No you nigger, it's not used because it doesn't create the same amounts of pressures, meaning you end up with a squib. Black powder can be extremely dangerous when used properly or improperly, but it's just not that good for modern firearms or uses. Is it better than a group of ground up match heads? Of course it is, but that's because it's refined for a specific purpose (which isn't lighting sticks of wood).

Attached: 1537062206162.png (594x500, 142.89K)

Smokeless powder is for faggots

For fun, I want to make a flintlock, but not a historical reproduction. I want to see if it's feasible to make a basic flintlock mechanism out of parts available at the hardware store, preferably minimizing the amount of machining required.
I envision it as a survivalist's gun, since you wouldn't need to make primers. It's said that as long as God makes rocks and chicken shit, you can shoot a blunderbuss. I want to make the blunderbuss for the modern poor, deranged hillbilly. Something made of scraps, like the guns from TM 31-210.
The barrel and stock are easy enough. Anybody got ideas on what parts I can use to recreate the mechanism? Needs a frizzen and pan, and hopefully a proper half-cock and something to hold the flint.

Maybe try using a openbolt style mechanism
Instead of a firingpin its flint, and where the chamber would be would just be a little frizzen-like funnel & a small chamber for black powder
Maybe also have some screw-on caps for pressure (not explosive caps, container caps)

Attached: Untitled.png (569x375, 8.95K)

Huh. I was considering the approach of altering the layout of the mechanism, but I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at with this design. What surface does the flint scrape to make the sparks?

In the red circle would be the frizzen-funnel
Its really not good at all, or useful, but depending on what you got, could be an easy creation

Attached: Untitled.png (569x375, 10.86K)

Oh shit, I actually had a similar idea recently. Barrel is 1/2" cast iron pipe with a round piece of steel, partly drilled large for a shotgun primer, other part drilled small for the flame, threaded into the end cap of the pipe. Trigger is bent piece of steel with a leaf spring above it, that you push up. Push the trigger up, bolt flies forward, hits shotgun primer, fires gun

Attached: open bolt caplock.png (842x234, 5.57K)

How do i apply Nail Polish on my revolver 1853 Colt To make the Powder stay Fresh

After you've put the nipples on, spread it on the nipples, preferably on the sides
You can also just treat it as bulletwax for the bullets side
You don't have to use nailpolish either, beeswax / paraffin wax are fine too
nailpolish lasts longer with a better seal

Make sure the nailpolish isn't too liquid, goopy is good

Use Nailpolish on the Cylinder Opening, Where fat is supposed to be`

?

Answer that question

You're both wrong, use a property sized bullet, slightly oversized so it shaves some off as it's rammed down, and you don't need to seal the front. I could not find a single historical mention of greasing the front of the cylinder. They fought the whole civil war with these guns and not one manual, or letter mentions greasing the front of the cylinder. That came around in the 1970's because they were using the wrong size caps and we're getting chainfires from the back side. Whenever you bring up they still got chainfires in the 70's with the grease, all the fudds fallback on "oh well it softens the fouling". Use proper sized caps, and if you have an uberti get new nipples, the factory ones aren't correctly sized.

Sealing the cap side from moisture is actually a good idea. Carry on.

Why not go for broke?

Attached: 005745.jpg (770x373, 22.37K)

Because that's a WW2 unit.

Attached: 442-Infantry-Regiment-COA[1].png (131x276, 29.47K)

What The hell is The Cap side

Speak clearly

Cap side is where the caps are placed as opposed to the side where the ball goes because you're not using ready-made rounds, instead hand-loading before every shot.

You are speaking of the Nipple side are you not kid

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-70

Is this black powder

yes, 70 is the amount of grains of it.

Looking at Laws here

all weapons pre 1890 Can be bought WITHOUT LICENS WITHOUT REGISTRATION

Getting a BFR MAGNUM RESEARCH

Making your own Ammonition With Black powder

Black powder which is not Under regulation Aswell

Are you people stupid if you use nailpolish on the primers possition the gun wont fire

I would very much like to see more of this, as well. Specifically guns designed around standardized shape smokeless pellets, with some primerless ignition system, pushing towards a 'self-loading muzzleloader'.

Here's an old (Popular Mechanics October 1967 issue) article about the short-lived Daisy V/L .22 caseless rifle, with a beautiful detail of the ignition system. Has there ever been any other gun designed to use any similar fire-piston/diesel ignition system? Could this be valuable today in alternative to electrical ignition systems?

Electrical ignition seems near ideal in most ways (especially actual function), but it is a much more complex system. There is also the general apprehension of electronics in firearm systems, which is only *nearly* entirely unreasonable.

Attached: daisyVLammunition.jpg (1280x1853 528.32 KB, 379.96K)

based on your design, there would be a lot of problems with repeating fire, the abrasive section would no longer contact the flint correctly after a few firings.

I actually might just strip down a zippo use the flint system it has and just make the trigger spin the wheel. it would look like a wheel lock internally, but it could mostly be concealed from the weather.

Attached: 36e0d496dbee04439f4e807636c2237d--zippo-collection-zippo-lighter.jpg (400x455, 28.48K)

Use a spark plug.

ATF re-classified these as firearms and halted production. Originals are exempt but pricey and if you can find any new old-stock ammo it ain't cheap either. New production ammo is banned because it can be electronically ignited and the ATF considers electric ignited guns to be machine guns now. There's a few exceptions for certain .22 target pistols but they use cased ammo and are all single-shot bolt-action.

I considered this, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'd attach a lighter flint to a trigger without doing a fair amount of machine work. It could be doable, but I'm not sure how yet.
I'd imagine you could use a spring-loaded hammer to open a frizzen and strike the flint wheel at the same time, but I think you'd have to drill into that tiny wheel to attach something so you could reliably spin it.

What I've seen suggests that it's actually pretty hard to ignite BP electrically, or else I'd be looking at piezo. I'm definitely not keen on needing batteries to shoot my gun.

either make it a clock spring or use a "piston" and make a short drive chain to spin it with the trigger being a "lever" more than a trigger, I think there are a few toys that do this. you also might build a ratcheting "hammer."

I'd use an old stove sparker, think a zippo flint but on a footlong device.

Attached: sparker.jpg (400x300, 9.07K)

Have you thought about a wheellock?

Attached: Wheellock_mechanism_explained_2.jpg (3030x777, 813.22K)

I've got one just like that from my dead grandmother.

Powder itself is still illegal to own without license, or at all in some countries. But true, you can make it with just fertilizer and some charcoal, although the former is again illegal or tracked in some countries. If you do any farm work you got plausible deniability if any police come knocking, though.

You can make potassium nitrate from compost if you have to.

If you want to go that route, then an underhammer action might serve you better:
underhammers.blogspot.com/2012/06/underhammer-history-short-version.html

Oh that's cool! Is there anything like that of more recent manufacture? Something I could pick up at the store? That could greatly simplify the build.

Is that true for BP substitutes as well? In the US, my understanding is that true BP is classified as an explosive, but the substitutes aren't because they're less sensitive.

This is interesting. I hadn't considered underhammer because I like the idea of being able to cock the hammer and try again if it misfires, but the article makes a good point, and I'll have to investigate the merits. Thanks.

literally never heard of them. thanks user.

I've only come to the attention of them from stalking abandoned woodland stuff.

I don't have a proper name for it, all I know is they spark enough to set dry tinder alight.

Cody did make black powder out of his own piss, as if he was a proud Australian.
thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/25/making-gunpowder-from-urine-natural-materials/

Check out ebay, it's the go-to for old stuff. For newer and useful old stuff chinks often produce that, that's how i got my safety razor.
Wouldn't it be kinda dumb? It's just a propellant that is weaker than a basic ANFO.

BP still goes bang just like anything else. I'd hate to be the UPS man if my powders went up.

What the fuck do you do when you get a squib on a muzzle loader?

Squeeze in powder into the cap plug and fire.
Or use the tool you get from the first page of google, faggot.

how are Uberti's manufacturing standards? I know I'm pretty much stuck with buying from them. God, they're so fucking sexy I don't even care if they're cobbled together chinesium

Attached: a35.jpg (1500x820 35.24 KB, 86.67K)

Sorry, I'm not eurocucked enough to need to know these things, kraut fag.(BRAT WAS SPANKED FOR THIS POST)

Pick one.

From what I hear, Uberti and Pietta are both fine. I hear Uberti may be slightly better, but I only have a Pietta. YMMV.

Inspect a Uberti before you buy, They're notorious for having an Arbor that's too short.

I just read my country's gun laws and noticed that anything flintlock-operated is legal for every adult citizen.
Anyone got a good guide on constructing a backyard cannon foundry/some way to nigger-rig a cannon for automatic fire that'd still count as a flintlock-mechanism? Something like a large box above the barrel with a Lorenzoni mechanism that's somehow Å•ecoil-operated maybe?
I'm thinking of mounting one to the back of a pickup as a type of horse car artillery, then haunt the Pannonian plains with a horde of these as a modern Attilla the Hun.

Attached: Austrian_I'mAlreadyTired_Cartoon.jpg (1649x1043, 222.18K)

Source? I don't believe this. There have been a few commercial electric ignition guns since the V/L (CVA Electra and a few other custom electric muzzleloaders, Voere Vec-91, Remington EtronX)

The V/L was declared a firearm because the caseless round was decided to be 'fixed ammunition', and/or just because it wasn't a 'muzzleloader'. There shouldn't be any issue if the charge is detached as a pellet, and it's actually a muzzleloader (or 'muzzleloader' revolver). Daisy discontinued it supposedly because they didn't want to get licensed, probably really as much because it hadn't been selling well to begin with.

ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments.html
you have probably seen this, but just in case, this guy has made his own electrically fired BP and smokeless guns, and details his R&D process and exactly what it took.

This is one reason I'm interested in the Daisy V/L . Its diesel/fire-piston igniter seems like it might have potential.

Attached: plink_king_rifle_entire_labeled.jpg (1920x1080, 359.05K)

hmmmm, how legally grey is a semi-auto muzzle loader

the system could use a number of electronically fired barrels in a block that have a built in bridge wire within the barrel, and as the barrel contacts an electrical source it fires, then vented gas would cycle to the next barrel (like a typewriter maybe? also muzzle loaded) and the barrel disconnects the power as it rotates, so in effect you could have it semi auto (this could be adapted to select fire) basically like that stupid volley gun that that guy had at shot show to show off caseless ammo, but you use barrel bricks instead of magazines that fire small pellets.

would purely be a proof of concept/ squirrelpocalypse doomsday weapon or for pest removal, where you COULD use an airgun, but why not use a cyberpunk muzzleloader?

or just make it a 'muzzleloading' auto-revolver. like pic related, an actual antique cap-and-ball autorevolver from 1863. for a modernized (and more legally grey) version, you could put magazines ahead of the cylinder (two separate ones, for propellant pellets and bullets), maybe even with push-through loading. an integrated suppressor should also be ATF-approved for this 'antique' (eg. maxim50), assuming you can work out a gas seal. MAYBE even automatic fire - the rationale for denying known pre-1899 machine guns antique status may have been for their having been cartridge guns?

Attached: DSC06157.jpg (640x480 13.26 KB, 13.26K)

whoops, messed one up, and forgot the carbine version (from 1855?), which MAY have actually had (in some particular units) a deliberate full-auto fire mode. which would make it the earliest known machine gun. totally unclear if it actually did or not.

Attached: mershon_and_hollingsworth.jpg (640x480 214.33 KB, 13.01K)

"Antique Firearm" explicitly excluded machine guns and explosives since the NFA's inception in 1934.

>HURR BLACK POWDER WEAPONS ARE FOR FAGGOTS
t. Zig Forums

Attached: hurrr.png (442x430, 11.13K)

What fun is that on the bottom? Name

And what in the world does that circle do?
It auto loads the revolver with new ammo?

filenames, user. they're both 'Mershon and Hollingsworth' revolver / carbine. the round part on the revolver holds the clock spring which drives the action. of course today we'd probably use a recoil action.

Attached: webley-fosbery-automatic-revolver-silvercore-firearms-training-bc-3.jpg (1500x952, 220.73K)

Yeah, I think I've seen that project before, which is why I don't think I can electrically ignite BP without a battery.

You may have a point. I'll have to look into the feasibility, but I suspect it'll be harder to garage-build than a flintlock, on account of the tight tolerances needed to seal the piston and whatnot.

Mershon & Hollingsworths tickle my steampunk boner.

what about a booster composition that acts as a primary explosive with pic related?

Attached: gas lighter.jpg (1000x750, 30.53K)

So it's a literal clockwork gun? That's pretty cool.

Hmmm. Possible, though not ideal.
I'm trying to design a gun that can be built at the hardware store and kept running almost indefinitely with rocks and chicken shit.
Your suggestion works pretty well for a more urban survivalist approach, though, and so is a worthwhile consideration as a variant. To be fair, the same might be said for the battery-powered version.

weren't the early bolt action guns black powder?

Yes

Attached: dreyse_rifle.jpg (1050x1050, 157.74K)

Where do you put the black powder in that

It's uses a paper cartridge.

Picture related, though its for a french gun.

Attached: DSC00173.JPG (3864x5152, 6.32M)

The needle rifle is a 1840's invention that uses paper cartridges, but even brass cases were loaded with black powder up until the lebel was adopted by the french.

Attached: lebel.jpg (640x480, 123.1K)

What's a cheap 1840-60 rifle that you can hunt with as in pic related

Attached: Mountain-Man-Eagles-Pass.jpg (427x640, 132.98K)

Flintlock or percussion? Track of the wolf stocks several but most of them are going to be handmade so prices vary. Traditions also makes both flint and percussion for more reasonable prices.

you can buy a BP revolver without "gun" paperworks, then buy a cyl that allows common 38spl ammo. Ends up costing about same as SA cheap revolver, and doubt any store would sell BP revolver without at least checking/recording ID but who knows.

Whatever is faster to reload

stupid question:
can I reload 38/357 with Black Powder (for shits and giggles)? This would be for recent production Ruger Blackhawk and/or Puma Lever Action rifle.
Will it make a huge mess to clean?
Does anyone use BP for Cowboy Action Shooting?

I don't want to be a dick, but a Sharp's Rifle in .45-70 Government is what the Mountain Man in your picture is using. You can get them in Black Powder, but understand that they are more expensive than some of the lever action raifus in a "big game" caliber like 45-70 which can be as little as $500-675 as opposed to $1300+ for the same look in BP. Other BP rifles are far cheaper, but they don't have that "post miquelet musket" look.

Attached: sharps raifus.jpg (600x315, 52.91K)

You definitely can with 357, i assume with 38 as well. Interestingly, you can even do that with .45ACP. There's plenty of info on that, even yt videos.
Well, have you ever shot bp guns?

Is that only pellet and black powder gun or does it need a cartridge

Give me names of these 4 guns

.38 special was originally a black powder cartridge. but was changed to smokeless during it's first year or two of production. But for reference, you can load almost any cartridge with black powder provided you know how black powder works. It's has a significantly lower pressure curve than most smokeless powders. Just understand though that you load it differently from smokeless. With black powder, you either fill the case and seat a bullet allowing it to compress the powder a little, or use a filler. You do not want any gaps of air with black powder.

The bottom rifle is a Ruger No.1

Nah modern weapons is not for this thread

What I asked for is those 1300$+ muskets used by mountain men

Send those kid

Kek. You really want those eh? Those are all .45-70 Government Sharps Rifles of various models. I personally recommend you get the 1895 lever-action Marlin in .45-70. However, if you want to look at a whole bunch of historical replicas/rebuilds/repros/etc. then take a look at this site. You should choose one you like the best, then try to find it cheaper and independently online. They come in BP and Cartridges of course.

davide-pedersoli.com/guns-rifles.asp/l_en/partenza_0/idl_2/rifles/rifles.html

Attached: .45-70 1895 Marlin.jpg (5472x3080, 3.97M)

The golden age of fur trapping was the 1820s-1840s. it'd depend on what you really wanted, if you want early mountain man, you'd be looking at smoothbore flintlocks, by the mid 1830s it shifted for the most part to rifled percussion guns, The most famous being Hawkens rifles. who made both full stocked flintlocks and half stocked percussion guns.

Pedersoli is about as good as it gets without buying a custom rifle. davide-pedersoli.com/guns-for-sale-pedersoli.asp?l=en They have distributors all over the US and Euroland

Mountain men were pretty much using rifles in the early 1700's. Daniel Boone smoked some dumb bong at 250+ with one.

Fuck Zig Forums vols.

No. Rifles were expensive as shit and stayed confined to Pennsylvania (Where Danial Boone was from) Parts of Virginia, Northern NC (a place where Danial Boone and a bunch of Other Pennsylvanians congregated) and the Kantucks (another place Danial Boone brought Pennsylvanians) relatively cheap large diameter smooth bores were the predominant gun of the long hunters. Daniel Boone could afford a rifle because he not only started off fairly affluent, being the son of a blacksmith, but also because he made a shitload of money later in life off surveying and land speculation. That is till he fucked up royally in Kentucky. which he never recovered from.

Also, Mountain Men didn't exist until a bit before the beaver fur trade along the Mississippi. What you're thinking of was long hunters. Similar in that they went off into the woods for large stretches of time, but different in both the amount of money they made and how they operated. Mountain Men were Company slaves who Racked up a shitload of debt buying supplies and spent the rest of the year trapping in demand pelts to work it off, only to rack up a shitload of more debt at the next Company sponsored Rendezvous. It wasn't until beaver really took off did these people switch to predominantly rifles, which by the 1830s had become a lot cheaper compared to the artisan works of the Jaeger and Long rifles that preceded them.

Yes. That is what I'm thinking of and from my understanding they tended to get their hands on a rifle as soon as they possibly could, considering they blew the fuck out of the trade musket they were most likely using at the time.

The frizzen on this gun is a pretty great idea for what you're looking for

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

I want them even if i do not understand them

I relatively recently stumbled upon a site that sold what looked like high quality musket repros that wouldn't fire - unless a touch hole was drilled near the frizzen, by a licensed gunsmith only, of course. they were kind enough to provide an exact location of where your licensed gunsmith (only) should drill the hole.

of course, im a stupid bitch and lost the site. anyone here know about it? they were decently priced, relatively speaking, and seemed high quality.

In terms of blackpowder, I have an interest in pepperbox revolvers.

youtu.be/a5YB6dwl9rU

In Pennsylvania, I may still have to deal with bureaucracy such as the background check to purchase one.

bamp.

Can any cap and ball revolvers take two balls per cylinder "hole"?

Attached: 1439802866313.png (289x269, 63.96K)

I found it for anyone interested - www.militaryheritage.com

Are brass frame Remington 1858 good or should I go with a steel frame?

Attached: brass frame.jpg (217x217, 5.43K)

Go with the steel.

Plenty of ways for making black powder from scratch. What options are there caps/primers?

Steel.

Apparently later on you'll be able to directly buy one of these. Although making one doesn't seem to be that hard.