Zig Forumsristianity

"Young knight, learn to love God and honour noble women, so grows your honour; practice chivalry and learn art which adorns you and will glorify you in battle."
Fencing Master Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century

Learning about HEMA the importance of Christianity for Knights and Soldiers is constantly mentioned, yet non of the Youtube channels nor the books about HEMA go into great details about it.
This makes me feel like HEMA is missing a greater spirit, because if you read about any other Martial Art from around the world you are instantly beat over the head with what great importance religion had for these warriors.
It is even more suspicious if you think about how much Christianity is vilified for the Crusades and for putting down the primitive cults of Natives during the Age of Discovery and Colonialism.
Yet contemporary history never goes into detail how it was Christianity that has lead to these situations, its always just "they did bad things, they were Christians, hence Christianity is bad".
So does Zig Forums know of any good books about the topic how Christian Knights and/or Soldiers practiced their faiths? Or how Christianity influenced their decision making?

Also:

1. What kind of Martial Arts are people on Zig Forums learning to defend their faith?

2. Who are your favorite christian warriors from history?

Attached: SiegeOfAcre1291.jpg (1089x1515, 2.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/florian-geyer-9/mysterium-fasces-episode-36-christian-violence
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It most likely didnt. Just because they say they were Christian, doesn't mean they really believed. It was just the popular thing at that time. I doubt anybody who willingly joins an army knowing theyll be killing people is a Christian

soundcloud.com/florian-geyer-9/mysterium-fasces-episode-36-christian-violence

…..? Joan of Arc, King Richard the Lionheart, the Archangel Micheal are all fake Christians?

Having served, and thinking I was a Christian at the time, this.

I don't think killing people for any reason is allowed anymore. It happens, sure. And I pray many of the faithful are forgiven.
But the gospel talks about turning the other cheek, immediately elaborated as offering no resistance. The letters complain about Christians going to court against one another, saying "why not just let yourself be cheated."
I think surrendering yourself to God implies letting him work these things out. Being "in this world, not of it" precludes us from petty military conflict.
And to your point on martial arts. It's a competitive hobby, but should be nothing more. The Lord led the Hebrews through the desert until all their warriors had died of age so the new generation could see that it was He who delivered their enemies into their hand. Obsessing over personal power sounds antithetical to a godly warrior's humility, and may lead you to battles where The Spirit is not with you.

Well, good start would be read medieval canons. Stuff that deals with what is permissible on battlefields etc. There are also rules of military orders such as Templars or Maltese. And there are few good historirical fiction books, like ones of Sienkiewicz.

Defending against heathen invaders is unchristian?

Then why does Christ not forbid the soldier in Luke 3:14 to be a soldier and instead say that he should be content with his pay instead?
Why then, did Christ command the apostles to sell their cloaks and buy swords?
Of course they couldn't fight back too much (hence only two swords were sufficient) for the prophecy had to be fulfilled.
These swords were for self-defense.
Christ is not telling us to be extreme pacifists and let ourselves be trampled - which in itself would be an offense to God - but to not be vengeful.

You are overestimating the "Christianness" of Europe around that time.
Barbarossa alone was more heathen than Christian, despite having been a literal crusader king.

Virginian here. The only martial arts I need is rapid reload.
Marinus of Caesarea comes to mind.

There is nothing on this Earth more disgusting, more repulsive, more cowardly than the pacifist who will do nothing to defend his home or his family because he may have to use deadly force. If someone is ready to kill you, and the Moral Law which we are commanded to uphold demands that persons death. Inaction will often result in even more deaths than if the threat is simply dealt with when it starts. Pacifism is nothing more than deadly apathy, and is the reason that things like the Cambodian genocide (one fifth of their entire population exterminated) happen in the first place: refusal to defend the weak, and exterminate the mad dogs attacking them.

Attached: Well they're equal now aren't they.jpg (547x450, 53.93K)

Attached: Fatty.jpg (364x484, 95.05K)

God is usually only mentioned in treatises in the prologue, He's not a central part in the teachings of their arts. I wouldn't jump the gun so quickly and conclude that HEMA is inherently Christian because they mention God once or twice in a manuscript.

Attached: images (3).jpg (229x220, 8.25K)

Martyrs are the strongest witnesses to The Kingdom. It takes more courage to do nothing boldly than to sit in a foxhole.
It is also prophesied that many of our number will be left as witness, then die during the final tribulation.
But good effort. I'm sure your penis is much larger, too.

Attached: Knights_Templar_Jerusalem_Cross_by_Montactical_2048x.jpg (640x427, 94.41K)

Who are you quoting?

Paraphrasing the last supper and the other section the guy referenced. One is on arming yourself with The Word instead of relying on worldly comforts. The other is advice on incorporating your faith into secular profession.

Neither are permission to kill those who threaten you.
I don't know the real answer for everybody, I'm just relating the passages that stuck with me.

pure larp

Attached: 1527478714161.jpg (684x546, 76.08K)

>For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
What did he mean by this?

Zig Forums

You know, I've only seen these kinds of arguments used by people who also happen to be pro-divorce, pro-abortion, pro-feminism, pro-lgbtlolbbq, and anti-christian and anti-family in general. Just look at the most pro-gun control states, they also happen to be the most "progressive" ones.

Eugh.

Please stop spreading this cancer meme, things are bad enough on this board this time of year.

Attached: Jewish_population_by_CD.png (652x755 522.6 KB, 133.63K)

I highly disagree with that view, God may be not central to the explanation how they swung their swords but for all warriors from the past religion played an important part of how they see morality and honor.
For these people religion played a more important social role as it does in our days. For example the concept of heresy is treated as a joke in today's society, but back then you could actually get punished for that.

Attached: Last_Crusader.jpg (1750x1724, 1.1M)

Please lighten up. You're missing arguments by focusing dead on personal insults. Roasting the opposition like that's meant to be friendly, and is disconnected from actual content.

I fail to see the link between the gun laws in a state and whether Jesus says it's cool to off people. Also fail to see how the beliefs of my government affect my personal beliefs. I guess linking divorce, abortion, and other major sins would have worked….but I don't believe not killing people is a sin. That's just a non-starter.
And for your image, what does the proportion of Azenkazi in a given place have to do with this discussion? I mean, even if you do liken them to the original Hebrews, you're bringing up several books reinforcing my initial point. Martial arts are a hobby, military strength is useless. True power comes from the backing of God.

Attached: 751.jpg (598x792, 58.45K)

Whoops. I just discovered how spoilers work.
I meant _not_ killing people. Adding superfluous punctuation to simulate verbal emphasis.

I don't believe *not* killing people is a sin either. Nor did I ever say I want to kill anyone who merely threatens me.I simply don't want to give anyone the opportunity to begin with. Causing death through inaction, however, is a sin. Home defense is never a sin.
As for the Ashkenazi map, the most progressive (regressive) states tend to have the higher populations of Ashkenzi (nothing to do with the original Hebrews). Naturally, progressive elites in states with the highest number of Moloch sacrifices will attempt to disarm their citizens.
Having seen what's happened to the EU, I won't be voting for gun control.

I'm actually super interested in HEMA. ATM I'm working on not being a fatty so I can start doing HEMA.