Rations

Can we talk SHTF rations, Zig Forums? The standard meme prepper go-to is MRE's or canned goods but these have their own flaws. Are they decent options with downsides, or is there something far more versatile and worthwhile for SHTF?

Attached: 1552282593659.jpg (1020x570, 187.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol1.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol2.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol3.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol4.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol5.pdf
anonfile.com/I0k2v6f6n5/11_Foods_That_Never_Expire.pdf_rar
granolashotgun.com/2017/02/23/adventures-in-home-economics/
almanac.com/gardening/frostdates
plantmaps.com/index.php
altestore.com/store/calculators/off_grid_calculator/
dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/beekeeping/how-to-capture-a-swarm-when-beekeeping/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything that's going to be a viable alternative to preserved foods is going to be freshly caught/grown. So fishing pole and .22 for them fish and small game gainz.

This is the best choice for most situations and especially long-term survival. However, there are situations, such as nuclear fallout and major chemical accidents where you shouldn't eat anything from outside. For these situations you should have at least enough canned goods / dry foods to eat while you decide on what you're going to do next.
The Finnish og choice is to store metric tons of sugar in your sauna. It's cheap, extremely concentrated form of energy, can be easily mixed with any other food to increase its caloric content, high barter value, and it can be turned into alcohol. It also has an almost infinite shelf life if kept well.

Attached: sokerisauna.jpg (956x688, 117.13K)

We need to store the seeds too. We need these to start our farms in the future new world.

Canned goods is an obvious choice, try to get different types of it. Honey could also be stored for practically forever if kept on a relatively low temperature (10-25 degrees Celsius) and under 60% "relative humidity"
not sure if this is the correct word, I used Google Translate. Now getting honey "by the bees" is difficult, I'm not really an expert of that.

Good thing I don't plan to get rid of my grandfathers kitchen-garden, then. Fishing, on the other hand, is another story here.

How do you learn how to farm nowadays if you or your family never had a land bigger than the aforementioned small plot of land?

Isn't the humidity bad for storing sugar?

You obviously can't use the sauna if you're using it for sugar storage.

You've destroyed my world view on finns.

Does not compute.

He probably had another sauna that he was using, leaving the one he used for sugar storage a spare.

Maybe he is from a part of Finland that has more saunas than people?

Is that not all of Finland?

Canned goods are a meme. Hard to carry, require gigantic space to store, expensive, and only keep a couple years anyway. MREs are too expensive to seriously consider.
Sink a large watertank under your cellar/bunker and use dry goods instead.
Lentils+brown rice+honey is what you need. Keeps practically forever unless you don't store them airtight/watertight/away from sun exposure.

Depends on. If you can afford to stay in one place, canned goods are rather easy to store and they don't occupy that much of a large space unless you are an urbanfag living in what could be described as the human equivalent of an anthill. You're right on carrying canned goods being a bad idea though.
Or you can call an expert to dig a well for you. Go down to100 meters, that depth will provide you with an almost endless supply of fresh, drinkable water.
Indeed but it is recommended to eat it after a year. The more you store it, the longer it will take to cook it.
A man of good taste.

Damn, I messed my green format up.

That one right wing extremist lived for years of beans, rice, random animals, and harvesting trash from supermarkets

Consider instant ramen and bouillon cubes.

That's how entire third-world countries live, and they somehow manage to overpopulate. No surprise there.

Maybe I wasn't clear. How can I learn how to farm nowadays if mw or my family never had a land bigger than the aforementioned small plot of land?

I recommend the books of John Seymour.

is beer a viable drink when being physically exerted?

No, just drink water and eat a cliff bar or something.

Not bad, but a net is easier to use and you catch more than 1 fishy.

Okay, my bad. You can create your vertical herb, fruit and vegetable garden on you home wall, ceil or roof. Use the wood or whatever and pots to build it.

Nets can also be used for none-fishing purposes, like acting as a weaving base for a makeshift roof/wall, or a way to string up loose food supplies in trees to keep animals from getting at them. Purpose-made fishing poles aren't really good at being anything other than fishing poles.

We need the tanks to grow the fishes for food but I never tried it yet so have anyone done this before? Not the pet thing please.

I'd imagine they're really good for getting things out of storm drains.

If you do that, you may as well go full aquaponics. The second picture would be a realistic backyard-version, but it depends on living somewhere without cold winters. Otherwise, it needs good heating or its own heated shed.

Attached: tote-aquaponics-4.jpg (800x950 2.59 MB, 539.22K)

Seems simple enough, I'll try it. Does the herbs/fruits have to be "adults" already, or can I just plants seeds into the potting soil?

yes, back before it became 5 Wetbacks doing one American's job, many top carpenters (framers) would drink beer at work all the time.

also perfectly common to bring on tough hikes,skiing, kayaking, etc.

dried fruit in re-sealing bags, body builder powder drink mix, home made jerky (avoid garlic as will spoil, stick to lime juice, chili pepper, soysauce, sugar)

canned is still king for several reasons.
Not that heavy when you consider they don't require water.
You can use the can for other stuff, and it also functions as much better self contained reheater than that goofy MRE, unless you are unable to make fire. I heat cans of food under car hood. :)
Much cheaper and bigger VARIETY than anything else. If you stock a good VARIETY you will be able to trade at good rate.
Keeps longer than 2yrs, just might taste a bit "flat".
Tough packaging.

varies by plant. I've tried 2x to get Winter Savory going and failed 2x.

others like tomatoes are fun and easy (I'm in CA!)

Pro Tip: your LOCAL garden/nursery will sell what works in your area. They wont be selling anything that isn't GTO for your area/time of year.

Drink Posca instead. Healthier and cheaper. Put about two tablespoons of good vinegar (I prefer red wine vinegar) into a cup of water, add as much sugar/honey as you need (0.5-1teaspoons for me).
Make sure you don't smell it before drinking until you're accustomed to the taste.

Just stockpile rice and beans.
For rice, get a bunch of regular white and brown rice, plus some jasmine, basmati, and red rice, plus some quinoa.
As far as beans go, I just buy whatever is on sale at the time, so I've got a bunch of black, pinto, red, and white beans, plus lentils and chickpeas.
Buy a bunch of seasoned salt (I use taco seasoning), some dry bouillon or soup mix, some cheap oil, and even some dehydrated/freeze-dried/canned veggies if you want, and you'll get good variety out of it.
It's cheap, gives you pretty much everything you need (including a complete protein), and is easy to cook (there's an art to getting both the rice and beans perfect, but you could always just boil the shit out of them both if you're lazy.)

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned pemmican yet. Trail mix is nice for a snack, too.

Attached: yummy yummy.jpg (800x600, 87.69K)

I think the first picture is better than second picture however, it needs the wheels to make it movable so you can take it with you to anywhere with ease.

Either one of them, really. I bought the baby blueberry from Bunnings shop and planted it in the used pot filled with mixed soil and liquid fertiliser. It is growing quite well. Also, I bought the herb plant from the grocery shop and planted in the water pot, but unfortunately died due to my negligence. Yes some plants can thrive in the water pots!

Pemmican is expensive and not that good for what you get. It also goes bad pretty fast due to the water content/fat content. If I'm making dried meat anyways, I'll either make jerky or I'll make jerky and dried berries preserved in honey to stay out of ketosis.

pemmican is a lot of work for little reward. As mentions that shit expires fast and the amount of food reaped is a small amount, hours better off gorging on the fresh meat and storing it as fat.

Please tell me this is b8. I can get chef boyardee for 50 cents a can, each of which holds 500 calories and can be eaten without cooking.

Do you have any idea how many calories it takes to gather wood to start a fire to eat every meal? Far more than you'll ever burn lugging around whatever extra weight the aluminum of the can comes out to.

Cured sausage?

Canned goods also risk botulism.

Make grog instead

Dried rice, beans and pasta are best natural things to stockpile. Mountain House is best for MRE tier shit you can buy over the counter. Canned food is good supplemental but dont bank your whole survival stash on cans

Reads like an action novel. Really gud shit.

start with tomatoes and spinach.
both are easy and much fun.
spinach is "fastest to harvest" of ANY food I know, and high in protein for what is basically "grass"
Its fairly large and powerful seeds means it has robust "start in life".
Tomatoes on vine are far superior to any in stores, and fun and easy. Tip: when transplanting bury 75% of young tomato plant, tomato "indeterminate" in that stems will turn into roots.

I've literally never seen a canned good go bad. I have friends who come from mormon families that consume 40-50 year old cans routinely with no issue.

I've gone the whole "dry rice and boil everything" path. It sucks. It's a waste of energy to start an unnecessary fire and it takes too much time to cook. The only downside to a can is weight and BPA, and BPA is my last concern if I'm faced with starvation. Weight really isn't that bad.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why use sugar for this instead of honey? Honey just seems all around better
Really, it seems like a massive waste to go for sugar intead of honey if all you want is a concentrated form of energy – it does the job better than sugar and can be used for many other things as well.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (732x549, 765.33K)

I've had one jar of fermented honey out of maybe 120. It was previously unopened and already crystallized but it was fermented top to bottom. Fucking jar must have been dirty when the beekeeper filled it up or I don't know. One reason people will take sugar over honey is the price. Real honey is usually more expensive than even molasses. Sugar won't spoil if it's stored right and it's much cheaper to buy in bulk. Sugar can be used as preservative all the same and it's almost as good as honey when applied to wounds. Honey doesn't work so great because it's antibacterial but because it delivers loads of simple sugars (fuel) directly to the damaged tissues and seals the wounds closed, cutting off oxygen and letting carbon dioxide accumulate. Sugar can also be used to make onion and garlic syrup that's great for any upper airways infections, colds and similar winter ails.

Also don't keep just sugar. Stockpile sea salt, it's one of the few reliable sources of trace minerals you'd have after SHTF, especially if you live in a place with mostly depleted soil. I don't know about you, but I'd feel pretty miserable if the only food additives I had available were sweet.

Where the fuck is that? That's ridiculous. Even fancy soup in a box is only like $3 for shit like lobster bisque.

I wanted to specify if it's a large-scale SHTF scenario and you are making pemmican (or some nigger-rigged approximate) from something you hunted, than it has a decent work to reward ratio because it's a high-fat item that has sugar to keep you out of ketosis and gives you something to shit out (remember: painful/hard/prickly shits are better than no shits, since no shits means your body isn't removing waste matter). The "expensive and not that good for what you get" part comes into play if you're preparing food ahead of time for SHTF since there's better (if not a bit artificial) alternatives.

Salt also has a number of medicinal, other industrial uses.

While you can use salt to prepare meats, you can also get bulk salt and use it as a currency.

Note for any sea-streloks, figure out a way to reliably desalinate water, or else you could find yourself in trouble. The dry salt bi-product of desalination can be traded with inland people for meats and other products if need be.

you talkin the generic soup of gucci Campbells?

Depending on how high the cost of living is, a single serving of canned soup is around 1.5USD-4USD/per CAN

alternatively just dumpster dive for dented cans… NOT the bulging ones though

food prep/preservation pre and post SHTF are completely different topics. you want the most longevity beforehand, and the most bang for your buck post SHTF.

Honey tends to be more expensive for starters. Making sugar is fairly easy so long as you understand you won't get pure white refined sugar. You can make it from basically anything that contains sugar. Shit, agave nectar stays good for two years which is more than enough time to grow new/more plants. Another important point is that honey is unsuitable for infants because it contains botulism (more or less ALL honey contains botulism. It's inactive in the honey because if it turns active, the hydrogen peroxide produced from the honey would kill it and it can't compete with bacteria in your gut). If you have a bee farm, honey is a great sugar source/preservative, but while it's definitely a good option, it also has its downsides, namely storage space (as compared to sugar which in its powder/crystal form acts like a "semi-liquid" in that you can manipulate it into whatever shape you need whereas honey needs a container), tends to be a more luxury item, tends to be cheaper (pre-SHTF), and tends to have a slightly wider range of uses (you can mix ground vanilla beans or orange peel into sugar for flavoring. You can't do that with honey). Plus if I'm fermenting anything for booze, it has to be sugar or sugar-syrup of some sort- honey works, but it has to be super diluted to keep the naturally forming hydrogen peroxide from mixing with water from killing everything. If you live in a wet climate, it's also easier to keep sugar preserved open-air using desiccant packs and other tricks whereas the only way to keep your honey from fermenting is to keep it in a dry box or keep it air tight. I'll champion honey any day, but other sugars have their uses and reasons for existing as direct competitors to honey.

Fermented honey is usually due to high moisture content. If the water content is high enough, it stops forming into hydrogen peroxide and then yeast can live in your honey.

Dirty jar shouldn't matter too much. What happened was that water got into it somehow and allowed the fermentation to happen.

True. Then again it's not some astronomical price and you get the advantage of not needing to build a special storage space - so long as you keep the jar sealed, you can store it wherever. You could do the same with sugar, I suppose, but you'd need to buy jars separately as sugar usually comes in paper bags. Thanks to honey having higher energy content, you also wouldn't need as much of it as sugar.

Dried legumes (beans/lentils/peas) and grains (primarily rice.) Are the best foods for long-term food storage. They're cheap and last basically forever. They also go with almost everything. So you know that fish you just caught? Well it just went from "barely filling" to "hearty meal." Other than that, freeze-dried cabbage, sweet corn, carrots, etc are good to add a little flavor and variety.

Canned foods are good in theory, but only if you eat canned foods on a regular basis anyway and cycle through your supply so they don't go bad good luck with your BPA induced low-t. because while I'm sure some canned food can last for decades, most (from what I've seen) only last for 5-10 years. I've heard the "yeah but it's still good after the expiration date" argument, and while I'm sure it's mostly true, just think, would you rather eat dried beans that are 100% safe, or canned beans that are 98% safe? If you're eating canned goods every day after a shtf scenario, then eventually one of those expired cans is going to make you sick. Keep a few on hand, but treat them like booze, either to be enjoyed as a rare treat, or traded to losers who don't know what they're doing.

When it comes to meat, it kind of depends. Meat goes bad fast no matter what you do to it, with the exception of freeze drying, but then it'll taste like sponge when you do finally eat it. Then again, low quality meat is better than no meat. Other than buying it freeze-dried, your best bet is jarred/pickled meat. Jerky is more about portability than storage, don't buy it expecting it to last more than a year. If you just killed a goat/hog and you're hoping to keep it for a while, try salting it. It's the best method of preserving meat for DIYers, even then though it'll only last a few months.

Sugar lasts a long time, but is empty calories. If you do have some, treat it like you would alcohol, it's meant for the occasional treat or for trade, not to be used in your everyday recipes.

Throw out your sugar and buy some seeds you can plant when the grid's down. Cabbage is a big producer, and can be turned into sauerkraut.

Pemmican is like jerky, it's meant for ease of transportation, not long-term storage.

Tbh if you're setting up agriculture yourself, you're either deep, deep innawoods and could easily make do with hunting and gathering, or you're dead meat. No matter how well prepared you are, you won't survive long if you're near other people. In fact, being well equipped only makes you even less likely to survive, as you'll be a tempting target. Foodstocks should be a temporary measure until you either get a group together to do something more serious than small time gardening, or fuck off somewhere far from civilization (and even then you should be prepared for some assholes discovering your hideout and deciding they want your shit).

That may have been true back when there were more buffalo than people, but nowadays, you want every edge you can get. Even if you're in the middle of nowhere, having a garden can only help. Even if you're just growing spices to make your food taste better. Hunting/gathering is a last resort, not shouldn't be both your first and last line of defense against starvation.

Also, dehydrated onions are fucking great, add those to your food storage.

Surely US has plenty of wild game to hunt? Even over here, in our piddly forests surrounded by urbanism, we have issues with an overpopulation of wild boars and deers. And you can find massive amounts of mushrooms, blueberries, and other forest fruits in every larger forest no problem.

But yeah, I guess that if you go the hermit route, having a garden of your own would save you a lot of time andgive you more variety. Still, I don't think the hermit route is the way to go if SHTF.

It depends on where you live. The US is a big place and there are places where wild game is almost non-existent. Everyone assumes that if you walk 15 minutes into the woods you'll find a deer and be able to shoot it. Reality is not as kind as the movies. Hunts can take days of hiking and tracking, and that's assuming that there are enough deer for everyone who thinks they're Daniel Boon (there aren't.) Besides even the most skilled of hunters with the most advanced hunting technology can get skunked easily. You do NOT want to rely on hunting/gathering for your food. You should be growing and preserving all your food staples, while treating wild food as a supplement to your diet.

Also, expect to be eating more squirrels, raccoons, and rabbits than deer, goats, or boars. Trapping beats hunting every time when it comes to securing food. As for foraging mushrooms and berries, unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, and you are practicing those skills right now, don't bother unless the idea of your insides slowly melting sounds like a good idea. For every edible food to forage, there's 100 poisonous ones. Besides you need to remember that everyone else has the same idea, and there simply isn't enough to go around. There's a reason big cities import a shit-ton of food and New Yorkers don't just go to central park to pick berries and mushrooms for dinner. Even if your suburbs are right next to a giant forest, don't expect to find nature's super-market in your back yard. Wild animals are skiddish, and if they learn that hunting seasons no longer apply (which they will,) you can expect them to get out of dodge ASAP. If open season is declared and people are starving, they won't be over-populated for long.

You're mostly right. Going into the woods alone is not the best idea, you should keep in contact with your neighbors, and group together to form a community. However the more people there are, the more likely that some wise-ass will try to fuck you over and steal your shit. You want a small group of close friends and family you know you can trust. If you can't remember everyone's names, then there are probably too many people. Think of how colonial-era frontier America worked. Your closest neighbor Jeremiah lived 15 minutes away, but you knew that his wife just gave birth so you're gonna show up with a hog as a gift. You can't stay to chat though because you have to go back and tend the sheep while your wife patches that hole in your sock.

You know those "small towns" that all the country singers never shut-up about? You basically want to live there.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (474x355 2.05 MB, 375.77K)

You can easily have a homestead on 1/10th of an acre of land. Pic related. Have the FoxFire books while you're at it. Old Appalachian survival techniques/misc useful information that a Farmer, Prepper, or Homesteader would find useful.

outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol1.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol2.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol3.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol4.pdf
outpost-of-freedom.com/library/FoxfireVol5.pdf

That's 5/14 of the series in .pdf. The whole set is about $235 though.

Attached: Homestead_Sample.gif (768x1024, 411.29K)

Well, I do. Everyone here does – mushroom gathering is something almost everyone in my country did at some point, many doing it every year.
Agreed.

Feels shitty. Guess I can at least shoot a few assholes before dying.

ad garthering:
I don't know about the americas, but over here, only few mushrooms are actually poisonous - many are inedible unless prepared correctly, meaning you'll get the shits but won't be endangered on life, with the few that actually are poisonous usually being only mildly so, very clearly distinguishable, or exceedingly rare. In fact it's so simple to tell most mushrooms apart that people usually bring their kids to help. As for other kinds of gathering, I'm not really sure what you could mistake a wild blueberry or strawberry for – at worst you'll forget to wash them after some fox pissed on them, I guess? Every couple years, when at relatives, we grab a couple jars and go fill them with wild blueberries so that we can work them into pies and milkshakes. There's so many of them that there's no way you could just run out of them. Hell, some assholes even turned it into a bussiness, sneakng into nature reserves with special combs so that they can harvest industrial quantities of wild fruits. One person could easily gather enough to sustain himself throughout the year, provided he can store them (either have a freezer or work them into a jam, etc.) and subsidies them with meat (sure, taking down a deer might be hard and take days, but that deer will last you a long time before you consume it). Growing your own will of course add more variety and grow your food supply, but hunting and gathering can definitely work as far more than just a rare supplement to your diet.

The reason being that it takes assloads of time, not that it couldn't be done, provided berries and mushrooms grow there. No NewYorker is going to return home from his shit job and go "Time to go to central park and spend five hours picking berries".

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about – the perfect gatherer. So long as you aren't blind, you can gather berries even if you have no skills. If you get your hands on some book about mushrooms or just print it from the net, you could gather those as well, along with other things (wood sorrel is very sour, for example - you can use it for flavouring instead of lemons. Toxic, but harmless if you eat it in moderation)

Seems pretty nice and thorough, I'll make sure to read the pdfs. Thank you for the help.

Thanks for the PDFs user. More info is always better than less info.

Good for you, but don't forget that as soon as the shit hits the fan, you're competing for the same resources with everyone else in your area. I'm not gonna pretend I know about the population to wild edible flora ratio in the Czech Republic, but I still don't think that relying on foraging as your first and last food source is a good idea.

Move to Podunk USA while you still can. Evacuate the cities ASAP. You're better off in a single-wide trailer in a small town than you are in a mansion in a big town. You can make friends when you get there, go to a church and talk about how much you love Jesus, and hate faggots (even if you're actually an atheist cock-gobbler.)
The best time to learn to farm/garden/trap is 5 years ago, the second best time is right now.

Don't rely on that for more than a single year once SHTF. The main reasons there's overpopulation issues are that right next to all the forests are giant modern fields full of produce and villages with nutrition-filled trashcans. That won't hold true, and so once the first winter post-SHTF hits, there'll be no overpopulation anymore.

anonfile.com/I0k2v6f6n5/11_Foods_That_Never_Expire.pdf_rar

Guinea pigs are good food source and they keep your lawn short.

Yeah, they're called guinea PIGS for a reason, I've heard they eat them like chicken down in south america. The only animal that I've found to have a better feed-in to food-out ratio was the rat, and I don't think anyone wants to farm rats. Although apparently the meal worm is really efficient too, but they don't have any fat on them, so they're more like a garnish than a meal ironically enough.
That being said, chickens for eggs, goats for dairy, and pigs as walking edible compost bins is probably the most likely scenario for anyone that wants to start an off-grid farm.

And if you have the know-how to sheer them, sheep could be better than goats, but I'm convinced that you'd be better off growing hemp or linen to make clothes instead of wool if you're worried about that. Wool fabric production is a bitch and a half.

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

The salted egg yolk can last up to 12 months so it is perfect for the people whom are having long winter or the eggs are neither unavailable nor untrustworthy to eat.

Make your own long-term larder?
granolashotgun.com/2017/02/23/adventures-in-home-economics/

Attached: 20190602.jpg (680x453, 24.93K)

Some time ago an user here suggested an eel farm. Eels are hardy creatures and eat everything. If you have a water body on your land(or make one), it shouldn't be too hard to raise them.

For clothing I'd say you're better off stocking up now or scavenging later, textile production has been notoriously difficult and time consuming prior to industrialization. There's good reason why good Greek and Roman wives spent all their time spinning yarn. If you want to try, I suggest making rope out of plant fibers. It'll take you around an hour to make a string that's a few inches long.

Recently became a farmer, and have been preparing for this for 12 years. I'll answer basic questions to anything in there. I'd start clearing up some of the false notions already posted, but to be honest there's tons.
I can tell you about:
aquaponics
small scale farming
tools for small scale farming
soil management
canning
farm animals and applications
resources online or books for year round farming
root cellars, cold frames, hoop houses, wallapinins, chinese greenhouses, etc
off-grid shit
and some advice on scaled up operations for mid-tier farmers who own more than 5 acres, but less than 100

Not gonna claim to be an expert, but I have honestly spent a lot of time researching this shit, and running cost v reward scenarios all the while. Most of the time if you've got an income source, just buying what you need is gonna be "cheaper" in terms of time and money, but most farmers and off-grid homesteaders are hours out from the nearest stores, so fuel, wear on equipment, and travel times start playing a much bigger factor.

Soil management, please. Especially with regards to water and erosion control.

As far as cost effectiveness, my rationale is this.
The goal is not to be 100% self sufficient, at least not pre-collapse. The goal is to maintain the tools, knowledge, skills, and systems necessary to create value without outside input. Trying to get in-situ production of food, power, et al up and running when failure means starving to death is a recipe for suicide. But if you already have established systems that work, even if production is only nominal, you can always scale up to match demand.
Furthermore, every item you don't buy with fiat currency is another thing you're not dependent on someone else for. It might not be worth it from a strictly economic standpoint, but how much do you value that lack of dependence?

there's so much textile around nowadays that scavenging for it shouldn't be a problem. At worst, you can just collect rags and sew patches from them on any tears your clothing gets. It's not very dificult - even an amateur can sew patches well if he dedicates enough concentration and time to it.

For soil management, Gabe Brown and Russell Hedrick have pretty good insight. The shortcomings are they both preach no-till equipment on a large scale, where most new farmers won't be able to purchase such equipment for years without investing into the neverending debt-farming cycle.
You can easily buy a generation or two old equipment for pennies what new equipment costs, so you'd be foolish to go out and buy all new equipment assuming you're gonna succeed as a farmer.
As for your goals, knowing more about your region, cold zone, soil composition, average yearly income, and desired acreage whatnot will give me a better chance to give you some input. I can tell you all about the importance of planting in july, and which cold hardy plants you should invest in, but that's not gonna do you any good if you live in malaysia.
Being 100% self sufficient is really pointless. While you can grow your own sugar, harvest your own cotton to make your own pants, or make an entire dinner using only food on your farm/hauled in from the hunt, you're not gonna be able to make your own salt, forge your own steel, make your own toothpaste, roll your own TP. It's just no viable to stretch your skills that thin.
What foods do you wish to grow? Are you gonna be in a network with other neighbors growing food, or can exchange supplies with? These are the things you need to be considering now if you want to rely less and less on currency, and hide your earnings better from the tax man. I have neighbors who exchange goods with me all the time in return for labor, trade skills, or for equipment. I'd say half of being a successful farmer/off-grid homesteader, is to have a network of people around you whom you can depend on to cover your back when things go wrong, and vice versa. Then again, I'm single. Having 12 kids and a wife to lighten the workload goes a long ways as well.

Attached: 6624c5a269ac74feb2993c8a6d244a86c15bf58857d4a62ec2e87f7ffeb76d8b.webm (640x360, 15.96M)

are natural fertilizers (like cow shit) viable, or are the too ineffective compared to artificial ones? Can human shit be used for this purpose?

What about chemical treatment of your crops (against insects, etc.)? Going full bio is, AFAIK, going to result in risking some of your plants getting sick, which will fuck you up if you don't discover it and eat them, while using too much chemistry is bad for obvious reasons. How much would you advise?

Depends. You're not gonna cover 40 acres with cow shit, unless all your neighbors are ranchers, and even still there's a method to it. You need to sit the manure for a year to kill off all the harmful bacteria and whatnot that'll give you botulism, or having it still decomposing so hot it kills the plant. Same with human manure (dark soil). If you have a small garden, then composting leftovers, using manure, and older techniques will work well enough that it'd beat spending money for inorganic fertilizers.
As for pesticides, again this all depends on the scale: if you have 100 acres of crops and need to keep it bug free, you're looking at either pulling a spray tank with a tractor, or paying for a crop duster.
I'll state again: I can't really advise you what'll work best for your situation without knowing more about the scope and scale. There's a big difference between 100 acres with 3 wells pumping 100+gpm on sandy loam, than a half acre plot with no well sitting on clay. If we're talking ~5 acres and a water source, I'd recommend full organic. If you can, get an outhouse above ground with a 50gallon that didn't contain anything hazardous, and place it under the seat. Use it, toss in some moss or ash from your fireplace between stools, and once it's full, pull it out, cap it, and store it away from your house for a year. You'll be surprised just how little manure you'll have for the field though.
As for plant health, you're gonna get more diseases if you're not rotating the crops. You don't want to plant legumes twice in the same lot, and you don't want to plant nothing but wheat in a field over and over again if you don't intend on using synthetic fertilizers all your life. No matter what route you go, you're gonna need to know what your plants need in terms of soil composition. You can get test kits fairly cheap to see what your soil is base, and most labs will do a pretty comprehensive analysis for less than 60EU. This is just my opinion, but if you can avoid synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, do. You're better off buying 10 acres of land and doing it organically, than 5 acres of land and needing every plant to be perfect. Again, depending on your scope, most small scale farmers use cover crops to maintain their soil health. As in the video, they are very multipurpose: you can have animals graze them, they act as a moisture retention barrier to give the new crops a head start, they compost naturally to raise your soil nitrogen and keep the worms and bacteria happy. What the video doesn't mention, is that a seedbox; an older piece of equipment that drops seeds behind rakes that dig a couple inches into the soil then packs it down with tires, is a very effective no-till alternative (for small scale hobby farms) if your soil is soft enough.

What is the most efficient meat you can farm?

If all the stores suddenly went down, how would you continue to fed your chickens? Is there a way to consistently feed them without outside aid?

What are the top "producers" vegetable wise? I'm planning on potatoes and cabbage

What's the easiest fruit to grow?

How would you power your stuff in a permanent grid-down scenario?

Have you ever fucked on of your animals?

How was it?

Rabbit if pure meat, chicken if you count the eggs too, and goats if you want meat+milk, sheep are neat because wool since otherwise you'd need to have some flax too, or wear pelts.

Potatoes are good, but don't forget beans too.
Cabbage is healthy, but produces relatively little calories. Good to avoid scurvy.
Pumpkins are relatively good too, IIRC.

Old variants of apples. Walnuts also grow easily and chestnuts can be ground into flour and were always a starvation food around these parts.

Lots of carrots, beets, turnips, and potatoes like a true Rhinelander

Different user here, but natural fertilizers are effective, if you use them periodically. The benefits of it are that there's more organic matter and micronutrients provided to the plants. It also lasts longer.
The downside is that per lb there's less npk than in synthetic fertilizer, and it's not available to the plants right away in the form they can absorb.

Camel is good alternative meat and milk for the farm people living in the desert area or are suffering from drought.

Depends on how sad you're willing to be, user. Soldier flies get the meme answer, since you can feed them anything, and eat the grubs for super easy protein.
The US "I'm not living poor enough to survive off bugs" answer would be a combination of critters: chicken/guineas/ducks + eggs, rabbit meat (rabbit meat is very lean, so pair with other proteins to get a more balanced diet), pheasants, or pigs if you have the land in a basic homestead setup and want critters that don't require any input. The trick here is to diversify your animals, and to utilize them for as many tasks as you have on your farm/land as you can.
Chickens/guineas are great at scratching and tilling the land, while eating all the bugs that'd threaten your crops and guineas will alert you to anything around you. Ducks are nice as they tend to be quieter, lay bigger eggs that are better in baked goods and if the breed is carefully selected, you can get nearly the same production as what a chicken will lay. I went with ducks, since in my local neighbor economy everyone sells chicken eggs. Quite a few neighbors like duck eggs for certain things, so we trade eggs. I paired them with geese, and have had an easy time with them. My geese trained my ducks, so all I have to do is hijack their training to get them to move where I want them. The geese are perfect guard dogs, and will drive out most smaller pests (bugs, mice, snakes, racoons, and probably foxes in an area where food is readily available).
Pigs will forage completely on their own (as will most breeds of chickens, and a few breeds of ducks), and can be used for clearing forested areas out for fields. The downside is they tend to disrupt land as they forage, so if you have nice gentle hills you want to farm, know that a pig will wreck shit. You could alternatively go with a breed known for being less likely to root, or pen your pig and feed it scraps. They eat just about anything, so it's easy to supply them with food.
Goats are a fantastic choice if you're looking for milk, something that can mostly survive on what they forage, and relatively tasty meat + decent leather. I recommend the dwarven variants, as you can have more on the same land, control their impact better by thinning the herd without adversely effecting reproduction, not immediately filling up a chest freezer on one source of meat, and also nigerian dwarves have the highest fat % in their milk; better for butter, better for baking, better for ice cream. Rabbits are decent, but I recommend using them in conjunction with greenhouses since they take up so little space. You can pen them and put them in a greenhouse to raise the overall CO2 in the structure, and you can add their pellets into the field to raise your nitrogen. The pellets breakdown slower than most manure, which is nice as it doesn't spike the levels too hot, and you get a consistent release into the soil. Getting an angora rabbit can not only yield decent hides, but you can also harvest their wool and have rather nice wool stock. This can either be sold, or processed by yourself. Cuttings from your field/greenhouse go right back to the rabbits.
You could go sheep as an alternative, or in conjunction with goats, but know that both require more infrastructure: goats need powerful electric fences, or expensive mesh fences ran around the perimeter, and even then you risk one getting out. With sheep you need a fenced in area, and usually a herding dog/guard dog as sheep are defenseless from 4 and 2 legged adversaries. Sheep and goats also smell pretty awful. Wool is a pretty decent textile that can be traded, or used by yourself, and sheep are less apt to escape your fence.
You always have the option to get a heffer, that you can get milk from, and occassionally pay to get insemenated for selling/eating the calf. Obviously if you have big pastures, it would be a good idea to have a few head that you can sell for income. Cattle are pretty intensive though, thus I won't really go into any further details.

You need to mix and match for your time, resources, environment, and your natural predators.
I recommend smaller animals over larger ones, as you can always get more to meet your needs, but having too much body weight draining too many resources will be more of a burden than a boon. Also look into raising grubs, silkworms, mealworms, flies, worms/nightcrawlers. You can utilize most of these thing for multiple crops with next to no investment, and your farm animals will enjoy the easy protein. If you get bigger critters, look into butchering, and into leatherworking. If you have to drive an hour into town and pay someone 60 bucks to slaughter your goat/pig, you're probably ending up with fairly thin margins. Butchering is relatively inexpensive to get into, and is easy enough to master to warrant the time learning the skill. Better still, if you expand your list of animals you can butcher, you'll find yourself getting requests from others. Additional income.

In the event of a SHTF scenario, you should have all the means on hand to continue feeding any of your animals. Chickens are amazing foragers as I've mentioned. Goats, pigs, sheep, birds, and even a small head of cows can be kept alive all year long with smart crop choices, cover crops, and any small insect farm you've got going on. With bigger animals, it may be necessary to provide hay depending on your location, and your success with your crops. It'd be advisable to set aside part of your lot for growing hay, and to use your cover crops as forage in the winter months. Cattle make a good symbiotic relationship to cover crops and soil health as well. This is discussed further in 's video.

Not bad choices. In terms of "top producers", that's not really something that can be properly quantified. There are many perenials that can produce year round with one seed, and there are many annuals that can produce very little, but take next to no resources to grow to maturity, and can be grown 2-3 times in a season. Your water availability, soil conditions, altitude, and growing season are gonna be the bigger determining factors in this. It's also important to note that some of the better choices for your area, might depend on what your stock can eat, whether or not your have a root cellar, if you're canning your extras, or if you're looking for cash crops. Your tastes will also play the biggest factor in this, since growing something like wheat that may work great in your area, might be useless to you if you're on a gluten free diet.
almanac.com/gardening/frostdates
has some decent info, and recommendations for your area, but it can't take into account things like microclimates, greenhouses, and won't recommend based off of long term storage, soil requirements, or other parameters. If you can, I say try to grow anything you can think of, and see what works and what doesn't. Seeds are cheap, and you'll be surprised at how some more exotic foods you've never heard of before will do on your property, and how decent some can taste. There's also hundreds of different breeds of every vegetable you can think of. Non-GMO, heirloom varieties, hybrids, and monsanto crops are up to you what you pick. I personally go for heirloom seeds, as I harvest my own seeds to put back in the ground later, but that's not to say that going with a hybrid is a bad decision. You can get much better yields out of a hybrid strain at the tradeoff of not being able to harvest the seeds for next go around.
Don't forget that crop rotation is the bigger key to success here. You can't/shouldn't grow generation after generation of the same stuff in the same place.
There's also the seasons to take into account. Not all plants grow in the same seasons, and proper planning of your fields can yield a very long harvest season for you.

That again will depend on your area.
plantmaps.com/index.php
will show your local hardiness zone. You can't really grow a fruit tree in a zone it can't survive without going with dwarven varieties, and bringing them in when winter rolls around.
I'd like to mention at this point, that berry bushes are a fantastic source of vitamins, sugars, and flavors for when the long months of winter drudge on. Many berries can be turned into syrups, candies, or do well being frozen and cooked/baked with. As with your farm animals, look into fruits and berries that are multipurpose. Elderberries can be made into drinks, syrups, baked goods, dehydrated, made into alcohol, or fed to your chickens/ducks/pigs/goats. Grapes fall in the same category. Look into the different varieties and see what they excel at, and buy according to your needs.

More SHTF stuff, or off-grid living. Solar and wind turbines are almost always gonna generate some energy. If you have running water on your property, you can make a small hydro-electric generator like the old lumber mill waterwheels. Any of these things however is only gonna generate a small amount of power that'll only be useful the second it's created without a battery bank. That's a pretty long topic, so I'd refer to you
altestore.com/store/calculators/off_grid_calculator/
which is a simple calculator based on your requirements of energy, your location's peak seasons for energy creation, and then advises a battery bank to keep you going through the low output seasons. Keep in mind, your solar and wind turbine farm is gonna much bigger than you'd suspect, as you need to overengineer it, as well as the battery bank to offset the non-peak times.
I'd stick to 12v as much as possible, and to either incorporate propane to offset your draws, or to expand into high energy systems designed around off-grid applications. You can get some extremely effecient 12v fridges and freezers that'd make a pretty big difference in your budgeting, but know they cost a pretty penny. You can also convert a chest freezer into a very efficient fridge with just a simple thermostat.

No.

N/A

A couple of addendums:
Turkeys and pheasants are completely autonomous. If you have a good area for them to forage, they'll stick around. Harvest as needed.
Look into Root Cellaring by Mike Bubel. It has tons of info on how to make a root cellar out of anything, and what vegetables exceed in them. Thinks like carrots can be left in the ground, and merely covered with straw/hay bales, while things like apples do well in cellars with moist sand over top.
Look into a generator for high draw electrical items that rarely run. Shop goods like air compressors, drills, and the like. going bigger is a better idea. I think the idea is to have 30% more output than your biggest item's startup draw is.

These are all good picks if your area supports them.
You can pick bushes and fruit trees based on your shade needs as well. A grape vine outside the sunny side if your house on a trellis will shade your home at the hottest times of the day, and in the winter, will allow full sunlight inside the home. Elderberries make a decent snowfence as well as shade a relatively small area. They'd do well to shade your driveway, lowering the temperature of any vehicles parked next to them. You gotta start thinking macro when it comes to your purchases. Make every plant do 5 different things, make every creature just as useful if not moreso. Find synergy between your animals and your plants.

Make sure to get heirloom seeds and not Jewish single use Frankenstein seeds.

A colony of honey bees just took over a birdhouse in my garden, what should I do?

I've eaten tins about 10 years out of date with massive dents in them and rust all over, perfectly fine.

For meat tinned food is good, but knowing how to make Jerky and pemmican does no harm. Also, to store meat for a while you can simply cook it, put a layer in a pot, then pour liquid lard or tallow over it, then it will solidify and keep a good while. Eggs can be kept in isinglass or lime water.

The see where I live, at least, has 1% of the fish it had two hundred years ago. Our wildlife is gone essentially.

Mate mealworms are 30% fat, I breed them for my tarantulas. What I do is fill an old aquarium half way with flour and grains (mix of oatmeal, bran flakes, and corn flour, and wheat flour, simply because that's what I had) then cut up a potato, they eat ALL the moisture so the veg doesn't rot, don't pour water in or give them dripping vegetables though, it makes maintenance harder. Both worms and beetles are edible, the beetles being less fat, though I've never eaten a beetle, the worms are nutty in flavour. They can't climb smooth glass or plastic and thrive at room temperature. Also, waxworms are very good, they are parasites of honey bees so NEVER let them out! Keep them on oatmeal mixed with honey to be moist but not wet and cover the whole with a breathable fabric with very small holes. That's it. They live in the honey-oat mixture, make web everywhere, then become moths. Very fatty but perfectly edible, you might thing you've failed to get them to reproduce but they are microscopic when first born, really. Give it a while and soon you see them.

Beekeeper here

dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/beekeeping/how-to-capture-a-swarm-when-beekeeping/

Try this if it dont work oh well. If they swarmed already they might be flighty or just resting for a few days before taking off again
Sage for off topic

thats not objective

facts below, butthurt warning

shtf historical example 1 • native americans numbered 15 million about 10,000 years ago and hunted many game species to extinction such as the antelope, buffalo and the horse. some cities had as many as a million people and subsisted in large part on hunters ranging far in search of game, and in small part on subsistence agriculture. this is basically what we would expect during shtf.

shtf historical example 2 • when settlers first came here 10 million of them (plus ~2 mil natives) almost exterminated all the game animals on the continent. including large seemingly indestructible ones like the buffalo.

common sense fact 1 • there are, what, 18 million people in an average american state? And anywhere from 10 to 50 thousand deer depending on how wild a state is, more rabbits and other game but not nearly enough. there are maybe enough animals for people to have six meals before all game is gone. even if you include pets and livestock thats not more than a months existance before the only other game left is long pig. look at venezuela, their oilp production gave tgem great pesticides and fertilizers, theyre an agricultural power in the region and all the socialists in un are busting ass to provide aid, but people are still setting traps for crows for basic sustenance. there simply arent enough animals to sustain people, and people wont just lay down and die they will eat all your food before they kick the bucket.

common sense fact 2 • there isnt even enough water to keep so many people alive without powered siphoning of aquifers.

This is interesting information user. I have never spent much time considering this particular issue. Not doubting you but your post is causing me enough stress that I would like to verify the data. Can you tell me how you came to these numbers. I am a vegetarian so no need for meat for me, but I would just like to get a feel for how this would go down in your scenario. Fewer deer means fewer deer eating my crops which is nice but I would like to think that some of the worlds animals would survive the collapse and in your scenario it seems unlikely.

There's over 800000 deer in New York alone, and there's enough meat for quite a few mouths.

Your country have 300 millions or more people so when the shtf happens. The poor animals is going to be hunted to yhe extinct. I trust you to know that the dumb people can't into farms or whatever.

This video was the reason the Brits invented shovels.

They probably aren't into hunting either. Unless you mean hunting human beings which are soft easy prey.

Also, I think they are lying about the demographic situation and that there is probably 600 million people in the USA right now with 50% being new immigrants.

Numbers are from memory, but even if I'm off by several times it's still going to be fucking horrible. The fact that starvation is an omnipresent problem means that humans have only ever been at peak population. This means our planet can maintain a maximum of about two million hunter gatherers. About a hundred million people with crop rotation, shit fertilizer, tilling, irrigation and agriculture. Two billion with advanced chemistry to create fertilizers and pesticides in bulk. About six billion with genetic engineering and all of modern science. Almost all predictions I've seen say we're going to peak at about 10 billion before mass famines set in, unless we invent a newer, better way to produce food.

SHTF assumes we're sent back in terms of technology to somewhere between hunter-gatherer stage and early agriculture. Which means there are several billion people extra, who should be dead, and who have no means of getting food. Expect all animals which can provide food to be be extinct fairly soon.

By choosing to eat only vegetables you lower the competition for meat on the market, which makes meat cheaper, and stimulates meat farmers to produce more of it. On a long term basis, if everyone becomes vegetarian, it would require the cutting down of all forests and destruction of all ecosystems, because a mixed diet has a lower footprint.

Do the math, that's still 23 people per deer, for four months, three meals a day, meat is about 100 calories per 100g, at 2000 calories a day starvation rations, the deer would have to yield about 12,000 pounds of meat for your claim to be true. I might not be 100% correct, but I'm 60-90%. You're not even 1% correct.

***Also even assuming 20,000 pound deer yielding 12,000 pounds of pure meat… what the fuck do you do after "quite a few months", or does your SHTF planning extend to only "quite a few months"?'''