Is this the Biblical model of the universe?

Is this really the Biblical model of the universe?

Attached: Genesis-1-2.jpg (750x416 749.05 KB, 280.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

answersingenesis.org/astronomy/earth/does-bible-teach-earth-flat/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kys satan

>>>/trash/

Attached: 1510723809623.jpg (355x400, 29.23K)

Why do you guys assume the worst? This is a genuine thread…

I think somethings up

this

Great VPN.

All me

Attached: f0f4c7bbb47d3567e7c923ecbc15a28f55bd183e483615dcb6fb2f6d6c570bf1.webm (632x718, 628.95K)

Also me

Well, it is Summer after all.

Just for Baptists

no
/thread

Attached: videoplayback.webm (480x360 75.76 KB, 66.37K)

I thought this was a pretty thorough look at the issue
answersingenesis.org/astronomy/earth/does-bible-teach-earth-flat/

Even if some of the writers of the Bible conceived of the cosmos according to this model, which they very well might have, they were still just men. They didn't know everything. Unless God revealed the spherical nature of the world to then in a vision, they would have thought that the world was that way. So some of the statements they make could imply that the world is that way, but since Scripture is inerrant, the descriptions would only ever be so implicity rather than explicitly, and the implications could be read as poetic by a modern reader without identifying such passages as being in error. If the Bible implies anywhere that the world is flat, then it's best to read that as a mere figure of speech.

Anderson literally just had a sermon on this

"The proposition that the Earth is not the center of the world and immovable but that it moves, and also with a diurnal motion, is equally absurd and false philosophically and theologically considered at least erroneous in faith." (Papal condemnation of Galileo, 1633)

"“For this purpose,…[ pursues the Pontiff]…we have caused the Tridentine and Clementine Indices to be added to this general Index, and also all the relevant decrees up to the present time, that have been issued since the Index of our predecessor Clement, that nothing profitable to the faithful interested in such matters might seem omitted. Since then all these directions have been faithfully and accurately carried out, and a general Index of this kind has been composed,—to which also the rules of the Tridentine Index, with the observations and instructions added to the Clementine Index, have been prefixed; this same general Index as it is put forth, composed by our order, revised, and printed at the press of our Apostolic Camera, and which we will should be considered as though it were inserted in these presents, together with all, and singular, the things contained therein, we, having taken the advice of our Cardinals, confirm, and approve with Apostolic authority by the tenor of these presents, and: command and enjoin all persons everywhere to yield this Index a constant and complete obedience…" (Pope Alexander VII, Speculatores Dominus Israel, 1664. Translation by Rev. William Roberts, 1885, London)

Attached: CopyofBull_Spec_Domus_Israel_Cover_.jpg (425x585, 73.47K)

“Furthermore, in order to restrain petulant spirits, It decrees, that no one, relying on his own skill, shall,–in matters of faith, and of morals pertaining to the edification of Christian doctrine, –wresting the sacred Scripture to his own senses, presume to interpret the said sacred Scripture contrary to that sense which holy mother Church,–whose it is to judge of the true sense and interpretation of the holy Scriptures,–hath held and doth hold; or even contrary to the unanimous consent of the Fathers; even though such interpretations were never (intended) to be at any time published…” (Dogmatic Cannons and Decrees of the Council of Trent)

“…Likewise I accept sacred scripture according to that sense which holy mother church held and holds, since it is her right to judge of the true sense and interpretation of the holy scriptures; nor will I ever receive and interpret them except according to the unanimous consent of the fathers…”[Vatican I (Session 2, Profession of Faith)]

“…In consequence, it is not permissible for anyone to interpret holy scripture…against the unanimous consent of the fathers.” (Session 3, Dogmatic Constitution of the Catholic Faith, Chapter 2- On Revelation)

I find it highly unlikely that passage in Genesis wasn't being written as poetry or symbolism. Though thanks for the concepts for my next D&D campaign.

Zig Forums?
some subreddit?
some obscure not-top-100 board on infinity?
one of the weird bunkers?
some other forum