Catholic General

NON EST VERA LIBERTAS NISI IN SOLA ECCLESIA CATHOLICA

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place for general Catholic discussion. Mass, readings, rosary - everything that is connected with the faith.

Other denominations welcome, although we politely ask you to keep the arguments about our theological differences in other threads.

Useful links:
Official Vatican website: www.vatican.va
Today's readings: www.ewtn.com/daily-readings/
Papal encyclicals: www.papalencyclicals.net
Catholic encyclopedia online: www.newadvent.org/cathen/
Summa Theologiae of St. Thomas Aquinas online: www.newadvent.org/summa/
How to pray the rosary: www.rosarycenter.org/homepage-2/rosary/how-to-pray-the-rosary/
Divine Office (liturgy of the hours): www.divineoffice.org/welcome/
Little Office of the Immaculate Conception: www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=1925

Attached: flag-1208882_960_720.jpg (960x640, 315.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

churchpop.com/2018/03/29/woman-miraculously-healed-after-visit-to-marian-shrine-in-wisconsin/
jimmyakin.com/2012/06/why-are-the-psalms-numbered-differently.html
reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/8ppl72/15000_illegal_adoptions_in_ireland_mothers_told/e0d813f/
aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/chile-bishops-resign-en-masse-sex-abuse-cover-180518114402841.html
pastebin.com/wZLBPUrv
youtube.com/watch?v=JMxyrrV-Bd0
youtube.com/watch?v=QW7-Bg74rAM&list=PLCVYi9yXYkhp6qiooWxAyeynbl0W4dd7I
web.archive.org/web/20101007103544/http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_11101954_ad-caeli-reginam_en.html
newadvent.org/cathen/07301a.htm
soundcloud.com/thomisticinstitute/sets/fr-thomas-joseph-white-op-the
youtube.com/watch?v=BTrKHEngQXU
youtube.com/watch?v=IL5VqeSMw4U
youtube.com/watch?v=ZoVqmUJoA20
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder the night will pass and God will restore a proper Catholic Church.

Attached: 12_2_are_f1_50.jpg (971x277 99.31 KB, 368.98K)

Anyone going to daily mass today? It's going to be a good day. :D

Attached: 9XFUQrv.jpg (4048x3036, 1019.7K)

Unification when.

Attached: serveimage (15).jpeg (808x960, 198.16K)

Never

Attached: 1470021949648.jpg (1025x725, 336.8K)

which church is that in the picture?

I swear it is one in St Petersburg

How is this thread overrun with Ortho posting already, when they have their own General?

Eternal ortho salt.

What you guys think of the Ordo Militaris?
I think its pretty neat, but they seriously need some better branding, captalizing on the crusades meme could be a good thing to get more people on board

I think that everyone here should post their prayer schedules, along with any woes they have in sticking too them or ways the desire to improve on them, for the benefit of other anons and for consolation if needed.
For me I try to do three rosaries a day, morning, evening, and night, along with praying the Holy Face novena at the end of the day for the conversion of a random sinner. Additionally, I like to say three hail mary's whenever intentions arise, more for the souls in purgatory as penance for particular venial sins committed throughout the day (I actually started this yesterday), and one golden arrow whenever I hear a blasphemy.
By God's grace most of that is flowing pretty naturally by now, but the Devil is putting up every barrier for me adding the ignatian spiritual exercises on to them, even for just 1 hour a day, which is pretty bad given they've been sitting on my shelf for years and I've been slothing out on them for a while. I had resolved to start them yesterday, but everything from a blown out calf to two near firing-worthy mishaps at work wore me down and I ended up gorging myself on a roast beef sub and a pint of beer before passing out at 9pm. Today I'm getting my paycheck in and I'm tempted to do so again, so please pray for my strength and I'll pray for yours.

Attached: 31961263_1974477172576662_8918023033457737728_n.png (960x960, 984.02K)

When the Latin church renounces its numerous errors

Wew lad.

I'm bored

Glad to see you get your own general, Cathanons. Here's an icon of Saint Gregory the Great to commemorate.
May God bless you all.

Excuse me, but your recent popes and theologians have been quite receptive of Saint Gregory Palamas' theology.

Attached: Saint Gregory the Great.jpg (474x600, 72.12K)

It show how lazy and poorly educated you guys are that this meme wasn't very popular before but now that most meme monastery put out a video that's all you throw against us, also that you never know how to spell it or are willing to google it

They don't know that because the only study they've put in is watching a video from a "monastery" even they consider in schism

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (759x500, 548.33K)

Thats I good idea, personally I try to pray THe Holy Father in the morning, the 23rd Psaml in the evening and the Psalm 117 before I go to sleep.
Also before I go to sleep I pray a rosary and always pray the trezena of Sainth Anthony, and repent for whatever venial sins I have commited that day.
Oh and I pray Veni Sancte Spiritus when I wake up too.

Attached: excitedchristchan.png (563x811, 298.58K)

This is a question to all the Catholics itt: I figure most of you are attempting or would like to learn Latin, but how about Greek?

I don't know what's in that user's heart and mind, so I can't say for sure why he says that about Hesychasm.
If he's in fact a sedevacantist of the Dimond Brothers flavor, than I can understand why he'd be wary, since he's schismed from the RCC (or Vatican II Church as they'd put it).

It's a weird trade off because on the one hand I know that there's a lot of depth to the koine OT that can't be grasped even in the Latin, such as the word for "daily" in daily bread being completely unique and infered by context Gabriel's "full of grace" being closer to "has recieved and contains the fullness of grace", but on the other hand Latin has almost everything else. Ultimately I'm gonna need to learn latin for my vocation anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Im a sucker for languages, so I want to learns Latin, all Romance Languages (already know 3) with Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.
Its kinda easier learning these languages if you are just going to learn for the purpose of reading since you dont have to practice speech.

Attached: 1504507656351.gif (400x400, 23.82K)

Do you worry that when u learn hebrew you may have to take care what theological lens your education may be presented from? I'd be highly surprised of christians and jews never duked it out over the subtleties of the language.

Psalms are always nice, I really need to read them more tbh.

Not really, Ive already looked through about some passages looking for the direct translation, some clearly foreshadow the death of Christ by the cross, and that is just a blessing.
Psalm 51 is also a thing I will always go to If I feel really sorrowful for something I did.

Go read the first few chapters of Augustine's De Trinitate, it's insane how much foreshadowing goes under the radar. For example, everyone knows that three angels visited Abraham, and most christians take that as foreshadowing for the Trinity. It's not just a symbol, however; Augustine points out that Abraham refers to the three as "Lord", singularly. Idk if he was working off the Hebrew or the Septuigent but it's a fascinating detail nonetheless.

At least I tried

I have been praying less recently, so this Summer I'm going to pray Novena of Pompeii and try to go to mass every day

There is also >>>/catholic/ if you'd like to add to it.

Augustine was Septuagint Fanboy and even had a bit of conflict with Saint Jerome over his usage of Hebrew Texts for basis of Vulgate.

Good lad. I'm currently learning Greek and Hebrew for the purposes of reading the Bible.

If you think I'm watching all that you are sadly mistaken.

Begone, heretics!

Attached: 450fc50d0a05c8cf065a44954c8a.1000.jpg (1000x666, 107.59K)

is that you bolek? If so,

*tips mini sombrero/picnic hat*

In the catacombs during the last days, when hopefully our divisions will be too irrelevant even for proud people.

Any good candidates for the next pope or will this matter need to be taken out of our hands?

Attached: E542A449-5FE7-4FFE-A216-C476085DDB24.jpeg (533x741, 93.59K)

Black Godly Man

Looking up what people think of Cardinal Sarah chances brings some interesting responses.

Attached: Screenshot (53).png (654x520, 80.35K)

Orthodog here, happy to see that you Cats have a general too. May we be each be blessed with stimulating conversations.

Breadpill me on different psalm numbering

I wish they’re were more Orthodox like you. Some of you guys may not like reuniting, but we can at least respect one another.

I've always wondered why they look like the black kkk

It;s like you cannot even in to Luke 21:21

Another person miraculously healed by the Catholic Church.

churchpop.com/2018/03/29/woman-miraculously-healed-after-visit-to-marian-shrine-in-wisconsin/

jimmyakin.com/2012/06/why-are-the-psalms-numbered-differently.html

Always do the opposite of jews

Happy feast of the Sacred Heart!

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Saint Medardus, pray for us.
Blessed Mariam Thresia Chiramel, pray for us.
Saint Jadwiga of Poland, pray for us.
Blessed István Sándor, pray for us.
Saint Jacques Berthieu, pray for us.
Saint Chlodulf of Metz, pray for us.

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui sancto.
Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper
et in saecula saeculorum,
Amen.

Attached: serce_jezusa_pg1.jpg (436x630, 162.23K)

What Church do you think Christ founded?

According to Scripture, Christ founded a visible Church that would never go out of existence and had authority to teach and discipline believers (see Matt. 16:18-19, 18:17). St. Paul tells us this Church is “the pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim. 3:15) and it was built on “the foundation of the apostles” (Eph. 2:20). Paul also tells us the Church would have a hierarchy composed of deacons (1 Tim. 2:8-13); presbyters, from where we get the English word priest (1 Tim. 5:17); and bishops (1 Tim. 3:1-7).

Paul even instructed one of these bishops, Titus, to appoint priests on the island of Crete (Titus 1:5). In A.D. 110, St. Ignatius of Antioch told his readers, “Follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop.”

Unlike the apostles, Christ’s Church would exist for all ages, so the apostle’s passed on to their successors the authority to bind and loose doctrine (see Matt. 18:18), forgive sins (see John 20:23), and speak on behalf of Christ (see Luke 10:16). Acts 1:20, for example, records how after Judas’s death Peter proclaimed that Judas’s office (or, in Greek, his bishoporic) would be transferred to a worthy successor. In 1 Timothy 5:22, Paul warned Timothy to “not be hasty in the laying on of hands” when he appointed new leaders in the church.

At the end of the first century, Clement of Rome, who according to ancient tradition was ordained by Peter himself, wrote, “Our apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop . . . [so they made preparations that] . . . if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry” (Letter to the Corinthians 44:1–3).

Just as the apostles’ authority was passed on their successors, Peter’s authority as the leader of the apostles was passed on to his successor. This man inherited the keys to the kingdom of heaven (see Matt. 16:18-19) and Peter’s duty to shepherd Christ’s flock (see John 21:15-17). Peter’s successor was the pastor of Christ’s church and a spiritual father to the Lord’s children (1 Cor. 4:15), thus explaining his offices future title pope, which comes from papa, the Latin word for father.

Attached: de01010d0cabeb8574415768bb1f.1000.jpg (1000x666, 131.44K)

Where does this say doctrine?

Wait where does it say they passed their authority to others?

That is the only example, and it's because Judas Iscariot went to hell. Have you read Acts 1:25?

That's talking about ordination, not about creating new apostles. The latter only happened one time to fulfill scripture and because Judas died. Are you saying the other apostles perished and like he did?

1 Cor. 4:15 is not bestowing a title or taking a title. In fact taking this title is in direct violation of Matthew 23:9.

Saying you have a relationship of a father with someone is not the same as being called Father ____, as if you are the Father of everyone. That's vanity, taking the name of God lightly.

What part of

Don't you understand. What is wrong with you!

Why can't we ever have one Catholic general without someone coming in trying to debate against Catholicism

Attached: 1526467146692.jpg (957x621, 90.04K)

How do you respond to people like this:
reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/8ppl72/15000_illegal_adoptions_in_ireland_mothers_told/e0d813f/

Attached: 1527827005493.png (500x330, 16.67K)

As decent Catholics, we have a responsibility to our brothers and sisters not to abandon them to the wolves, wearing sheep's clothing. To leave the church would be to surrender the Body of Christ to the corruption of men. (Theological corruption. What's the secular equivalent?)
Because Christ Jesus is incorruptible, it would further be an insult and blasphemy of the highest order to do so. Instead, we are called to be meek in the face of evil. (Strong, but reserved. Peacemakers, as Abraham when he divided his inheritance to make peace with his brother.)
We have a responsibility to speak amongst ourselves freely, and take action against inequity as a unified (read: Catholic) body.

We are a priestly people, each possessing gifts of the Spirit. Act like it.

Attached: ceb3347e-a877-48f1-b6d3-70df4635d704.jpg (1280x720, 136.39K)

I don't understand
Did you reply to wrong comment

No, it is the right one.
I didn't read the link, but this idea serves as reply to anyone who wants to hamstring your participation in the church. Inside you will find no excuse and no lie.
Criticizing the church is important, in helping each other grow spiritually. You can't help each other by leaving, or depriving each other, or keeping your opinion to yourself.
Pedophilia is a severe problem, and grevious sin. In performance and effect. To reduce your role within the church as a result amounts to letting this sin have reign over you, where you should only be slave to Christ Jesus.
Instead, we admonish each other. Condemning the act, for the health of The Church. Recent events in Chile are a good example of laymen taking action to improve their parishes directly.
(And I know I haven't read the link you posted, but here's more information if you want it.)
aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/chile-bishops-resign-en-masse-sex-abuse-cover-180518114402841.html

I apologize, I was treating it like my own general.

my college bible study is starting a segment on theology of the body for the summer. Should be interesting because some of the normies have shit tier theology knowledge. One girl asked why we were not jews when most people in the bible were jews

Attached: 1473465299668.png (1280x720, 1.38M)

9th of June, Ordinary Time.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Saint Columba, pray for us.
Saint José de Anchieta, pray for us.
Blessed Anna Maria Taigi, pray for us.
Saint Ephrem the Syrian, pray for us.

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper et in saecula saeculorum,
Amen.

Today I watched Thomas Becket film. Oh dear this puts current film industry to pieces. What a great acting

put together a list of Catholic Youtube channels with many academic lectures
pastebin.com/wZLBPUrv

here are two of my favorites
talk on salvation
youtube.com/watch?v=JMxyrrV-Bd0
15 hours reading through the NO and TLM rubrics discussing the differences
youtube.com/watch?v=QW7-Bg74rAM&list=PLCVYi9yXYkhp6qiooWxAyeynbl0W4dd7I

Hey this is good, it might take a couple of weeks for me to get through the 15 winnie the poo hours reading but seems juicy thanks

you're missing link to Crusade History channel

I was Orthodox for a year and a half but Edward Siecienski's book "The Papacy and the Orthodox" is really pushing me toward Roman Catholicism. The beauty of the Mass helps too - I felt a bit hesitant about it because I expected a carbon copy of the Divine Liturgy, but it's actually really nice once you get used to the organ and to the priest facing the people. So, chances are I'll join you guys soon.

Is Gregory Palamas fine to read or venerate though? He wrote against the filioque, was criticized by later Catholic theologians a lot, and I was told that it doesn't matter that the Eastern Catholics venerate him since only the Latin Church's saints are considered universal.

I'm asking about Palamas because he is my favorite saint by the way.

I dont know much about Gregory Palamas, what is so unique about his writings?

Besides a few post-schism Orthodox quirks (he believed that the light of Tabor is uncreated, and the essence-energy distinction in general; he also wrote against the filioque) I think he's fine, but I haven't read about Catholic theology so maybe that what he says in his homilies isn't so fine after all, I don't know.

He also defended hesychasm, which I was told is considered a heresy in Catholicism (quietism).

Mat 21:33-46

I think that greek catholics do venerate him but it's only because Rome was (and still is) seriously tired of byzantine autism.

Quietism is not hesychasm though.

Is there any books by saints or overall scholars that talk about Divine Retribuition?

For sure as hell not one that goes against almost all his teachings.

I liked baptists before i came to this board now i found out you guys are just cunts

yes because its a catholic general if you dont like seeing it dont click on it

So if I said in the Baptist general that Christ founded Baptist doctrine younwouldn't debate?

not if it said at the start of the thread to keep theological debates out of it…

wipe the drool off your face

Is it okay to call Mary "Queen of Heaven?" I saw a Catholic building called that somewhere. I don't remember what it was, regardless I find it strange. What backs this idea? I don't remember it in scripture but I might just be forgetful. I know prots think it's wrong so I'm wondering how this conflict started.

When Enoch and Elijah come again

web.archive.org/web/20101007103544/http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_11101954_ad-caeli-reginam_en.html

Yes, it's obviously ok to call her by her title. Crowned as Queen of Heaven and Earth is the 15th mystery, no less.

Attached: yy97.jpg (736x573, 357.5K)

I realize my post came off sort of critical but I was just curious about it

read the history part here
newadvent.org/cathen/07301a.htm

He was raised by the emperor so had people like him more, and again the history really speaks for itself. (calling something latin was enough to refute it)
we have much better theologians to read/venerate

soundcloud.com/thomisticinstitute/sets/fr-thomas-joseph-white-op-the
Lecture series going over St. Thomas and the sacrements which is very interesting

if you want mysticism St. Teresa stuff is great
youtube.com/watch?v=BTrKHEngQXU
goes over some of her stuff

Also keep in mind the priest facing the people isn't really our traditional mass I linked a series comparing the rubrics above but search around
youtube.com/watch?v=IL5VqeSMw4U
if you want to see an example of the sort of highest form of the traditional one

and the lowest form
youtube.com/watch?v=ZoVqmUJoA20

Prots get mad cause theres a OT verse about not worshipping the queen of heaven, a pagen goddess of the times, that can be easily applied to the Catholic mary also.

Attached: 1528271566056.jpg (720x560, 66.1K)

not really, it referred as you said to a specific idea, Mary is not that idea. Sharing a name doesn't mean anything however I would say it comes down to the hyper-dulia though, adoration in itself is only for God it's wrong to give that to Mary but it's a bit complex

goes over it

Attached: 1497273719395.jpg (398x500, 35.66K)

You can privately venerate anyone you want "for pious reasons" (i.e. you can't venerate hitler because you liked him putting jews in camps).

This includes non-canonized people or people canonized in other apostolic faiths. Funny enough, venerating someone not canonized is the first step to someone becoming canonized.

A lot of modern Palamites have interpretations of his work that are (so I'm told) acceptable within the Catholic Church. So I don't think anyone would bat an eye at you having an icon of him.

Remember, private and public veneration are two very different things. You won't find a St.Palamas Church parish anywhere. But you could on your own.

what's the problem here

The steps of the devil are subtle but deliberate. Making you think you do righteous when you are disobeying God.
saging myself because I just couldn't resist.

Attached: 96123ed0ac8ae9313614de8da7de9b6b.jpg (399x568, 52.82K)

I'm surprised I haven't heard this meme more often from atheists considering most of their arguments against Christianity come from Low church Protestant criticisms of Catholicism

You're literally telling me "your saint sucks, look, we have better saints". That's rude and dodging the question.
I don't care what the Catholic Encyclopedia has to say about a post-schism, non-Catholic saint.

I also don't care about the TLM. The Novus Ordo is already wonderful. But I'd like to see one someday, although I was told it's not better than a Divine Liturgy.

Read the article it's not lying or something it's from a highly respected and reviewed source.
And it was with regard to one saint, if you think backing up your weird new theology with saying "it's not popish" is a good argument that's on you.

By what specific measures, in what way?
Why do you not care about the TLM?
I can say the TLM is objectively better then the NO in terms of it's rubrics since it's claimed to be based off of it however I have no idea how can you assert one rite is better then the other, it's just a cultural one and there are way more rites then just the two.

If you are from the west you should go to latin rite as it's our cultural heritage but many started going to the eastern rites because some NO were so bad.

Going against your cultural heritage to just find something that appeals to your senses goes against piety/respect for your ancestors.

As if atheists actually know what they are talking about most of the time beyond poorly rehashed "dead children = God is evil" arguments.

Fair, but a lot of Atheists arguments like the whole "Christianity stole things from paganism!!?!?!?" is a common Protestant argument against saints and Mary

thought some people might enjoy this video i came across

while we are usually always on the defensive about the saints, i do think yes there is some similarity between praying to different saints and like some forms of polytheism where people view different gods as like different forms of a one God, but the difference is our faith is actually real and they worship demons. we don't worship fables and demons, we ask real people who actually lived, and in fact many actually had the power to perform miracles etc, and they are truly alive still. it seems like the blind primitive man did seek for what we have but deformed by sin we ended up worshipping pantheons of demons. it's the devils version of the communion of saints. it also always reminds me of Jesus in revelation "Behold, I make all things new", which was amazingly used in the Passion of the Christ too at an extra biblical scene where he says that to Our Lady when he falls down.

I think our Lord makes all things new, just like how even St. Augustine et. al was able to take what was good from pagan philosophy and baptize it.

Not Catholic but want to become one some day. There's no parishes around me. Right now all I do is read the Bible and pray. I'm up to Judges so far.

I don't trust the Catholic Encyclopedia after the nonsense it says about a lot of Eastern things, most notably the Photian schism. Notably, it's a very outdated, 100-year old ressoiurce.

I love Palamas because he was a kind, loving man who wrote well.

Ah, I don't remember, sorry. :(

Why should I care about a semi-obscure rite when the normal liturgy is already wonderful and deep?

If I follow my cultural heritage, you're telling me to become Muslim.
I don't like where this is going so let's cut this disucssion short.

The KKK copied us.

You mean the Traditional rite, as instituted in perpetuity by Saint Pius V?

There is nothing 'wonderful' or 'deep' about Novus Ordo. It is illicit, and probably invalid as well.