What language did Pilate speak?

Just re-watched a scene of Passion of Christ and I found quite odd how Pilate speaks Latin to the crowd, even though the Lingua Franca of the Eastern Mediterranean was Greek, even in Roman times (the Bible is written in Greek too).

Did Pilate speak Greek or Latin, or is this just typical Catholic falsification of history?

Attached: passionofthechrist-pilate.jpg (477x354, 31.96K)

One should always take films like this with a grain of salt.
Being an educated Roman, Pilate would have been fluent in Latin and at the very least conversant in Greek.
He most likely addressed the crowd in Greek, unless he was working with a translator although there's no mention of such in the scriptures.
He may have actually known some Hebrew, but that's highly unlikely.

Most likely Greek, since it was both lingua franca of the region and the language of the roman elite

He was prefect of Judaea and held the title almost as long as his predecessor, Valerius Gratus, at about 10 years. He was also an equestrian, so he was probably well educated. It's possible he spoke a number of languages.

Certainly, what I meant what language he spoke when addressing the crowd. Should've been Greek or Hebrew, Latin doesn't fit at all.

English

Pls try and be even more inflammatory next time.

Let me explain it to you why he spoke Latin instead of Greek like he probably did "in real life". It's a movie so it was probably a thematic choice to reinforce the "romaness" of Pilate, not some conspiracy to undermine the authenticity of the gospel account. Plus it's probably easier to replicate classical Latin than Greek. Or to not confuse an audience why a Roman official is speaking greek to a Jewish audience, all subtitled in English.

Just admit you wanted to take a swipe at Catholics. Try and make your bait more subtle next time. Fortunately for all of us an interesting conversation resulted by some miracle.

Pilate was an educated Roman elite, he would have been bilingual in Latin and Greek

Ah, bravo. Based, to make a movie meticulously obsessed with historic detail, and then to excuse that one on artistic freedom.
Or reconstructed Aramaic, the language almost the entire film is in.
Man, I sure wish I had your ability of self-deception.

Really, what did you learn thus far?

Russian, of course

Attached: pilat.webm (642x362, 10.06M)

Just that this film doesn't purport to be historically accurate.

Wasn't the Lingua Franca of Palestine/Israel/Judea/Outremer/Whatever Aramaic at the time?

one thing to note though is that the latin used in the movie uses the ecclesiastical pronunciation (with italian accent). The way old latin sounded is estimated by scholars, we can have some hints but it's hard to know how exactly it sounded.

Well, in the 1st century AD Judea it certainly didn't sound at all.

I had completely forgotten about Aramaic, you're right user.

Aramaic was only spoken in the Levant, but Greek across the whole Eastern Med.

My guess would be a language the crowd would understand, so probably Greek or Aramaic. People can learn more than two languages, and for an official in his role it would be expected to know the language the people can understand.

Scripture doesn't say what language he spoke. There is no reason not to think he spoke Latin to the crowd. It doesn't say otherwise.

Honestly it never occurred to me why he would have used Latin, but thinking about it, would make sense to use Latin if he is pronouncing a sentence.

It would have. Roman soldiers would have spoken sermo vulgaris (or perhaps in their case the sermo militaris), and since it was the language of command, Roman officers would have used it too.

Why are you so paranoid? There are probably many other minor historical inaccuracies into that movie. This is an interesting topic, interdenominational shitflinging is completely unnecessary on this topic.

Polite sage, as my comment doesn't address the point of the thread.

he spoke english, otherwise how is he quoted in the KJV Bible written by jesus?

t. baptist

Godspeed, Stevie!

Acts 22:26
And the hundred leader having heard having proceeded to the thousand leader reported saying what art thou about to do; for this man is a Rhomaian.

It would be cool to see military terms translated this way, apparently 'hecatontarch' and 'chiliarch' are calques for Roman ranks or of Persian terms.
Translated as centurion and chief captain, commander, commanding officer, or tribune.

Attached: 920a4efc01320fa54ad3a5ca55800766.jpg (1500x2081, 573.36K)

Ah it's a Chaos Dwarf! Begone Dawi Zarr!

Attached: chaos_dwarf_earth_shaker_4_5_edition.jpg (1600x1065, 180.71K)

He's probably got Hellenic hand me downs, the one on the left is a Gallic mercenary apparently.

It's typical catholic falsification of history, like the removal of the first fundamental baptists who received the KJV in 40AD from the highest among the apostles, pastor Jim.

Greek was the administrative language while the various dialects of Aramaic were common vernaculars with varied scripts and orthography.
John's Gospel says the sign placed above Jesus head was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. Hebrew is taken to refer to an Aramaic dialect.

The typical behavior, clearly.

Great movie though and probably one of the most amazing depictions of what happened to date.

Only thing which comes close is My Last Day which is based on it.
Risen looked cool too.

Top kek!

the honest to god lingua franca was greek.

the local language in palestine was aramaic.

Pilate would have more likely known greek, though, since he was the dang boss, the local important people knew it because of muh antiochus, and you don't force a roman boss to learn a difficult language for the benefit of a bunch of people who might as well be crucified anyway.

many of the church fathers didn't know aramaic nor hebrew well (semitic languages are difficult for indo-european speakers in general). these guys would have had a reason to know it, and were alot more academic than a man like pilate – from this, I highly doubt pilate knew any local semitic languages (especially not hebrew, which was basically nothing but a liturgical language).

He was most likely fluent in Greek and Latin as well as having a passing knowledge of the local Aramaic language.