Far-right fake news misidentifies Jacksonville shooter as anti-Trump Reddit user

nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna904366

A day after a competitive video gamer shot and killed two people, wounding 10 others, at a Madden video game tournament in Jacksonville, Florida, a group of far-right news outlets announced that they had found the Reddit account used by the shooter, who they said used the pseudonym "Ravenchamps."

But the groups were wrong.

"Ravenchamps" did not belong to the shooter, who the police say was a Baltimore resident named David Katz and who killed himself in the shooting. And the announcement caused considerable trouble for the real person who owned the account.

The fringe sites Infowars and Gateway Pundit, plus far-right commentator Mike Cernovich and reporter Ian Miles Cheong, claimed that "Ravenchamps" — similar to Katz's frequent video game username "Ravens2012champs" — was operated by the alleged shooter before his death. They pointed to the account's rhetoric that repeatedly slammed the president, along with other political figures, pointing out a comment where Ravenchamps called users "Trumptards."

But the real owner of the account was a Minnesota native named Pavel, who returned to Reddit on Monday to see dozens of people claiming he was dead.

"I went on Reddit. I noticed I had 60, 70 unread messages. Usually I have two or something," Pavel, who didn't give his last name out of privacy concerns, told NBC News on Monday night. "I look at the messages and it's a bunch of people using my username claiming I'm that Madden shooter person. Half of them are messages like 'I hope that person's dead.'

Responding to a user who said "ravenchamps was his profile, see for yourself," Ravenchamps wrote back.

"I'm alive you know?" he wrote.

Pavel then went to Reddit's AskMeAnything board to answer questions about everything from his favorite TV show to what it was like to have all of his old opinions shared across the web as a possible motive of a mass shooting.

"Confused at first, now I'm just laughing about it," he wrote.

Shortly after Pavel started tweeting, Gateway Pundit appended two question marks to the headline of their story tying him to the shooting, which now reads: "Jacksonville Shooter Was Member of Anti-Trump ‘Resistance’?? – Murdered 3 People (UPDATE)."

This is not the first time Gateway Pundit has misidentified someone who committed an attack or mass shooting. The site said the Charlottesville car attack was conducted by an "anti-Trump protester" who in reality was hundreds of miles away at the time of the attack. The site also named the wrong person in the Las Vegas mass shooting, and spun an elaborate conspiracy based on an anonymous Twitter post which identified the wrong person in a mass shooting at the airport in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, in January 2017.

Cernovich, an early promoter of the "pizzagate" conspiracy theory who has been touring Arizona with Republican Senate candidate Kelli Ward, was cited in the Gateway Pundit article saying Katz was a “member of the Resistance,” pointing to Pavel’s Reddit account. Cernovich has since apologized, adding, “The mass shooter’s Reddit handle is different from one that previously circulated.”

Infowars, a purveyor of conspiracy theories that was recently banned from Facebook and YouTube, blasted "Jacksonville Madden Shooter Criticized 'Trumptards' on Reddit" in their headline, and claimed he "hated Trump supporters."

>CHECK YOUR SOURCES

Attached: 1535480257113.png (252x200, 63.53K)

the far right doesn't give a shit about checking sources. its a propaganda game to them now and its all about repeating lies until someone believes it

Meanwhile seventeen far left news agencies report pic related as the perpetrator.

Attached: 105260e5df7e9554f145edcb4c8c230628513a42c5ec52548c5d84450a6d2afc.jpg (1102x1200, 155.66K)

NEWS FLASH!!!

B O R I N G

meanwhile,your post was boring

THIS JUST IN:
nobody gives a fuck

HOW TO BORE THE WORLD TO DEATH:

mention the terms 'far right', 'far left', or 'trump'

…and you guys have the audacity to wonder why nobody wants to hang out with you in real life

Attached: projection.jpg (1600x2400, 1.9M)

AGAIN :

you bore people into avoiding you

Attached: 1.jpg (852x480, 32.11K)

TBH, JOHNNY COULD HAVE PUT A BIT MORE JUICE INTO THIS STORY

That's the reason you don't have a girlfriend

Attached: 11.jpg (852x480, 26.51K)

this isn't my thread

you'll never catch me
creating a thread like this

POLITICS:

FASCINATING

Attached: thumb_woman-sleeping-at-desk.jpg (700x400, 46K)

mass shootings

Attached: maxresdefault(2).jpg (1920x1080, 109.14K)

Liberals

Attached: A-hot-brain-causes-yawning.jpg (507x338, 73.17K)

Conservatives

Attached: iStock_000017332704Small.jpg (785x611, 412.82K)

NEWS

Attached: UNILAD-yawning-130292.jpg (639x289, 31.86K)

I apologize about the 'no girlfriend' comment.

I realize your political beliefs have very little to do with the no girlfriend status

your penis size

Attached: asian-woman-sleeping-at-desk_41esa2ytzx_thumbnail-full01.png (1920x1080, 1.55M)

Alex Jones, Gateway Pundit, Pizzagate, etc.

Attached: 140314211843_1_540x360.jpg (540x330, 28.53K)

Infowars

Attached: yawing.jpg (640x427, 77.48K)

David Katz

Attached: Yawning-contagious.jpg (250x323, 128.88K)

Stephen Paddock and the Las Vegas shooting

Attached: 97405307-640x640.jpg (640x360, 22.9K)

Conspiracy theories

Attached: yawn1-300x202-19mwizo.jpg (300x202, 21.68K)

Republican vs Democrat

Attached: maxresdefault(3).jpg (1280x720, 81.73K)

this thread

Attached: multiethnic-group-sleepy-people-women-260nw-520073314.jpg (833x280, 77.6K)

unlike yawning, this thread isn't contagious

nice nigger jewshill

tHANKS FOR BUMPING MY BORING POST, aNDY
I was bored when I posted it, but habit forced me to

I want to stop.
How did you stop shit-posting Andy?

Attached: monty 1.jpg (400x300, 17.11K)

This song seems like something you guys would like

Q: have you ever seen The Rutles?

daily reminder that alle those websites, unlike the left reported their mistaken.

Daily reminder that you misspelled 'all' and 'they're'

And by the way …

I've got your number, and I'll call you the minute anybody gives a flying fuck about your post

we learned all our dirty tricks from the commies.
thanks for that

MFW the alt right is far better at implementing Alinskys Rules for Radicals than the left ever was.

Attached: anigif_enhanced-6963-1414163540-8.gif (625x350, 1.24M)

Ain't We Lucky We Got 'Em?

Good Times
Any time you meet a payment
Good Times
Any time you need a friend
Good Times
Any time you're out from under
Not getting hassled, not getting hustled
Keepin' your head above water
Making a way when you can
Temporary layoffs
Good Times
Easy credit rip-offs
Good Times
Scratchin' and surviving
Good Times
Hanging in and jiving
Good Times
Ain't we lucky we got 'em
Good Times

You be mah nigga!!

shuckin' and jivin'

with mah nigger

I've seen just about every Monty thing ecept the newer stuff
Fawlty towers is my fave(Cleese only)
Holy Grail is my MP grail

Terry Gilliam movies are the only real connection I've had to them in the last 20 yrs

Agreed @ HGrail

and while the Rutles want necessarily a great movie (it wasn't terrible, just not great) if you're a Beatles fan like me, the soundtrack was fucking fantastic.