30 years ago today

Reminder that this man did nothing wrong.

Attached: marcel_lefebvre.PNG (782x805, 578.16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sspx.org/en/faq-page/wasnt-archbishop-lefebvre-excommunicated-faq11
ift.tt/2NJmoMg
lifesitenews.com/news/vatican-publishes-document-declaring-a-female-diaconate-is-a-possibility-in
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Based

Marcel François Marie Joseph Lefebvre (French: [maʁsɛl fʁɑswa maʁi ʒozɛf ləfɛːvʁ]; 29 November 1905 – 25 March 1991) was a French Roman Catholic archbishop. Ordained a diocesan priest in 1929, he joined the Holy Ghost Fathers for missionary work and was assigned to teach at a seminary in Gabon in 1932. In 1947, he was appointed Vicar Apostolic of Dakar, Senegal, and the next year as the Apostolic Delegate for West Africa.

Upon his return to Europe he was elected Superior General of the Holy Ghost Fathers and assigned to participate in the drafting and preparation of documents for the upcoming Second Vatican Council (1962–65) announced by Pope John XXIII, and was a major leader of the conservative bloc during its proceedings. He would later take the lead in opposing certain changes within the Church associated with the Council. Refusing to implement council-inspired reforms demanded by its members, he resigned from the leadership of the Holy Ghost Fathers in 1968.

In 1970, Lefebvre founded the Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX) as a small community of seminarians in the village of Écône, Switzerland, with the permission of Bishop François Charrière (fr) of Fribourg. In 1975, after a flare of tensions with the Holy See, Lefebvre was ordered to disband the society, but ignored the decision. In 1988, against the expressed prohibition of Pope John Paul II, he consecrated four bishops to continue his work with the SSPX. The Holy See immediately declared that he and the other bishops who had participated in the ceremony had incurred automatic excommunication under Catholic canon law,[Notes 1] a status Lefebvre refused to acknowledge to his death three years later.[3][4]

In 2009, 18 years after Lefebvre's death, Pope Benedict XVI lifted the excommunication of the four surviving bishops at their request. However, it was not done retroactively, meaning that it had no effect on Lefebvre.

Possible future Saint once God decides the trials of the Church are over.

It will happen

Attached: Canonization of Marcel Lefebvre.jpg (480x671, 155.6K)

Serious question: is he in hell? Since the excommunication was not lifted

sspx.org/en/faq-page/wasnt-archbishop-lefebvre-excommunicated-faq11

What are the limits of this argument though? If I don't subjectively believe I'm comitting a sin then there's no penalty?
Maybe I'm just not understanding it properly but isn't the whole point of having a Church to say that there is an objective earthly authority that can judge such things?
Obviously there are no limits to divine mercy, but in terms of what one would presume, unless the excommunication is removed, he's been condemned to hell right?

I guess I'll do the brotherly thing and respect your church's tradition; yes. Eternal torment.

Attached: 1530202514262.gif (286x258, 2.51M)

lol

Excommunications don't automatically mean you are going to Hell; you can recover grace always, as long as you are alive.

What's so funny?

Attached: 435px-Albert_Lynch_-_Jeanne_d'Arc.jpg (435x600, 96.41K)

Attached: DA752490-1022-4350-BBA0-51C03A30BB34.jpeg (1180x1440, 313.59K)

lol

Didn't he murder a communist and then make a YouTube channel about paganism?

ift.tt/2NJmoMg

The conservative faction of the SSPX topple Fellay, meaning talks with Rome will inevitably cool

This.

This.

Can his heritage be resurrected?
I think Vatican II must absolutely be undone completely for the Catholic Church to return to it's own root for revival.

We can only hope.
The Church must be saved by people who have faith in God and want to carry forth His tradition.

dude obedience to the church is a virtue except when i decide it isn't lmao

wtf when did any of this crap happen

no seriously were these some vatican II reforms that i just didn't notice?? i'm very confused and dense. redpill me, o sage :)

Vs.
One is validly excommunicated and burning in hell, the other isnt

You don't know that.

Not for certain. But everything we know about heretics/schismatics and hell would say that he is there.

Maybe God has preserved him, hopefully.

lifesitenews.com/news/vatican-publishes-document-declaring-a-female-diaconate-is-a-possibility-in

t-there's no crisis in the church, everything is just fine! I promise! Amoris was just a joke bro, the Pope will answer the dubia in his own time :^)