EDC/Hiking First Aid Kit

What the title says just putting together a list of things I can slap in a first aid kit that's not too bulky for hiking, won't be getting in the way of me moving around too much and will mostly sit in the car while I'm not hiking. I have a separate first aid kit for camping/innawoods I may ask about later but for now I just wanna hammer this out.

Attached: 41V8LHJTpCL._SX355_.jpg (355x282, 13.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B07N446MQG/ref=twister_B00XP3YB6I
google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=quikclot&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivraHFoIXiAhUoilQKHSeqDjQQBQgrKAA&biw=1121&bih=505
uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17465L/Gatorade/Powdered-Gatorade-20-oz-Single-Serve-Pack-Lemon-Lime?pricode=WB0513&gadtype=pla&id=S-17465L&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtr_mBRDeARIsALfBZA7MKYqFm9R7ByTdp6IDNf1evDEBP1GnAs7UbYUorfO22Cc5aXjD3x4aAu_xEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
sectionhiker.com/leukotape-blister-prevention-tape-for-running-and-hiking/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

24 antiseptic benzo pads
50 Sterile Adhesive Dressings (band-aids)
10 4"x4" Sterile gauze dressings
04 4"x6" pressure dressings w/ crepe ties
02 crepe roller bandages
02 3" conforming gauze bandages
01 1" adhesive tape
08 cotton triangular bandages
01 windlass style tourniquet
01 universal scissors
01 stainless steel forceps
01 pocket mask with one way valve *
06 pairs nitrile medical gloves each of assorted sizes
01 waterproof waste bag
01 3" roll esmarch
02 Sam splints
01 travel sized aspirin

*So I don't have to go mouth to mouth with some dirty meth mouthed homeless person

You do know they make literal pocket FA kits right.
3 Antiseptic Wipes
6 Plastic Strips
1 Knuckle Bandage
1 Fabric Strip
1 Fingertip Bandage
1 Gauze Bandage
1 Gauze Bandage
2 Gauze Pads
1 Adhesive Tape
1 Pair Nitrile Gloves
1 Face Shield
1 Triangular Bandage
1 Pair of Scissors
1 Pair of Tweezers
12 Safety Pins

Yes I know that, but any first aid kit worth having is one that you pack yourself. Prepacked first aid kits that you buy are overpriced, understocked and of pretty shit quality. What I have listed will probably weigh about 5lbs and will be 12"x9"x4". I'd rather pack my shit with stuff I have on hand that's reliable and I know how to use. I'll probably strap it to a backpack, sling it over my shoulder or loop it onto my belt while hiking. Good treatment is using whatever tools you have on hand to get the job done and having great tools on hand so I don't get caught lacking is half the job.

Also on a side note I'll probably chuck a 8"x10" drainage dressing or two into the mix

What I was getting at is looking at what those have and modify for own usage.

eh fair enough, I'll chuck tweezers into my list cause I'm missing that

If you plan on hiking with children, it's always worth having at least one bottle of Rivanol. It's popular with veterinarians and some pediatricians because it doesn't burn. Unlike iodine and alcohol-based antiseptics, it can be used to irrigate the wounds and even treat second degree burns.

Thank you this is why I opt for the benzalkonium chloride antiseptic wipes. Doesn't burn or sting on application.

how long a hike?
I can't imagine needing 50 bandages.
I got weak ankles so I pack an ankle brace (sorry a "Stablizer", non-strechy that you use after a bad twist) amazon.com/dp/B07N446MQG/ref=twister_B00XP3YB6I
And some of those instant cold packs. Most of the "damage" done after sprain or impact, etc is the bleeding, and if you ice something fast it makes huge difference next day.
Alcohol pads make great firestarters, and cleaners for optics, hands, etc.
I'd rather carry a small bottle of EverClear as multi-use.
What about legendary Super-Glue for 'stitches'.
Sunscreen and Deet?
Small bottle of sterile salt water for cleaning wounds.
Small tube of antibiotic cream.
Assortment of over the counter pills? Diarrhea, allergy, some Opioids left over from last major denta, caffeine pills, acid reducers,
Tourniquet and emergency sutures?
Gunshot Treatment kit? (I've seen my share of unsafe gun shit when hiking).
But IMO best "first aid" would be a Beofeng UV-5r pre-set to some local HAM-emergency freq that some old guy with nothing else to do monitors.

Nothing terrifically long like 8-12hour hikes but
the 50 bandages thing is just so I can avoid restocking the thing while having it in the vehicle to be used.

Will be posting an updated list as the thread goes on cause I'm autistic

Attached: OH_MAN_OH_WTF.jpg (301x301, 6.03K)

24 antiseptic benzo pads
50 Sterile Adhesive Dressings (band-aids)
10 4"x4" Sterile gauze dressings
04 4"x6" pressure dressings w/ crepe ties
02 crepe roller bandages
02 3" conforming gauze bandages
01 1" adhesive tape
08 cotton triangular bandages
01 windlass style tourniquet
01 universal scissors
01 stainless steel forceps
01 pocket mask with one way valve
06 pairs nitrile medical gloves each of assorted sizes
01 waterproof waste bag
01 3" roll esmarch
01 Sam splint
01 travel sized aspirin
02 8"x10" abdominal drainage dressings
01 cold pack
01 medical superglue
05 50mL tubes of saline solution

forgot the details but COLD is what works to stop bleeding and swelling, which is why you see it used in sports where they want to get back in action ASAP. Compression is good for artery bleeding, but not so much for large area from sprain or bruise. Down side is the Insta-Ice are HEAVY. On the job, I like to freeze Walmart 34OZ water bottles to carry in lunch chest AND have "ice on tap". Pour out the icewater onto socks and shoes, refill with water to make more icewater.

Trick to Super Glue is only carry unopened fresh tubes. They are cheap enough and once opened tend to dry out before you use again.

All radios are now Chinese, UV-5r is $25, very small (but get the big antenna for $1.60 on Ebay) and comes with FM receiver (and decent speaker!) and flashlight. Not to mention many LOW COST add-ons like car-top magnetic antenna, AA-batt packs, extended rechargeable battery, holsters, etc. Best thing is get four, because you can make a REPEATER out of 2 plus a connector cable.

google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=quikclot&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivraHFoIXiAhUoilQKHSeqDjQQBQgrKAA&biw=1121&bih=505
they say don't use on certain body parts, but I guess if bleeding to death is the other option I'd risk it.
PS-IIRC something about using cold pac after head injury to mitigate certain serious complications, like swelling of brain or something.
Head injury seems very common while "hiking". stumble and fall on some big rock next to trail.
IMO, regular hard hat (with headlight of course) is underated piece of outdoor gear. Light and airy enough to wear when serious hiking (unlike bike or rock-climbing helmet) but will mitigate that first big blow to head if you fall, or something falls on you. Most people think hardhat is about objects falling on head, but 90% of "saves" is when your head is the falling object and you stumble or fall off ladder, etc. Also good to use as hand shield to fend off vicious dogs, or to throw at animals. I use the ones with vents but could be nice big bowl/sink after snap out suspension.

This right here is the main problem of most kits. People are making lists with ~20 or more items covering every single little problem in existence, but it ends up with them not carrying it around due to bulkiness. First aid kit should be as small as possible and suited for critical situations only. Basic kit:

A good multitool;
Hemostatic gauze;
Prednisolone or its alternatives;
Ketoprofen or its alternatives;
A brain.

Less basic:
Aspirin;
Activated charcoal tablets;
Doxycycline;
Medical bandage;
Any nice antiseptic stuff you want;
A specific treatment for diseases you can obviously predict.

You can get ballcap style hardhats, they won't do you any good getting on to a job site but they should protect your noggin. Sticks work better for fending off dogs cause they'll let you put distance between you and the teeth.

I'm not going with what is shown in the picture I I'll convert the measurements to metric.
30cm x 22cm x 10 cm
with a finished weight of 4-5lbs or 2kg it's really not a bother to strap to a bag or sling over the shoulder

I go for cowboy style, for sun and rain. El Dorado is little smaller than Vulcan.

I like to hike at night on treacherous trails, and the hard hat carries a nice big USB input AND output rechargable headlight with red-light option.

All the big through hikers swear by some special blister tape.

PS-how about 4 pairs of surgical gloves. At least 4 because they rip so easy, and good chance if you are using gloves you gonna want to change them at least once. They also make good balloons, for air cushion or liquids. I'm sure they'd come in handy as wide and flat bungie cord in making a dressing, and or sealing off a finger cut with one glove finger and some tape.

how about a Space Blanket?
after heat exhaustion I'm guessing your most common hiking first aid need after sprained ankle will be hypothermia. This includes finding fellow hikers who didn't plan so good, or slipped into water leaning over to try and see fish.

moleskin I think it's called for blister tape. Better medical gloves are nitriles which are "sturdier" than most medical gloves, you're also able to buy extra thick pairs for work purposes which stand up pretty well to abrasions.

Space blanket is a fair point and would probably be worth slipping in considering it comes as the size of a small wallet. You actually made a better point than you'd think because with patients going through shock one of the things you should provide them with is plenty of oxygen and warmth.

1.3OZ powdered Gatorade pack, to aid general fatigue, heat exhaustion and diabetic issues.
uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17465L/Gatorade/Powdered-Gatorade-20-oz-Single-Serve-Pack-Lemon-Lime?pricode=WB0513&gadtype=pla&id=S-17465L&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtr_mBRDeARIsALfBZA7MKYqFm9R7ByTdp6IDNf1evDEBP1GnAs7UbYUorfO22Cc5aXjD3x4aAu_xEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

nah, this shit.
sectionhiker.com/leukotape-blister-prevention-tape-for-running-and-hiking/

Good suggestion on the gatorade doesn't hurt as a seasonal thing. One thing tons of people neglect are the diabetic. Also my friends are retards and we don't plan on being anywhere near sober while camping.

Leukotape looks like it'd actually have some fucking use other than blister tape holy shit.

I never understood the Super Glue wound closure thing. Wounds will be wet so would the glue even stick and even if it sticks do you want a layer of glue between flesh that is supposed to bond and heal? Do you apply glue to dry skin on both sides and pitch together, pretty much deforming the flesh?
I could see it as extra strong butterfly bandaid.
Someone should work out how to use Super Glue to make splits and braces, combined with heavy fabric, sticks, etc. Idea being you'd just carry Glue.
I'm still looking for good info on DOSAGES for antibiotics. Doesn't really help to know you can use same as sold for fish tanks if you don't know how much to take for what, and unlike Opioids you can't just start small and work your way up by feels.

Diarrhea is a big killer, due to sudden dehydration. Not sure if that is address by over the counter anti-D pills, or what the real treatment is for life threatening squirts, especially if drinking water isn't unlimited.

You just need your damn electrolytes.
Ringer's solution if you can precisely measure stuff.
If not then do some makeshift saline, nobody will OD when you keep it under 100g per ingredient.
You should probably put it closer to 1-3g per substance if you have to do some hobo saline.
Salt (sodium chloride), baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), potassium chloride, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride.
Snort it, drink it, infuse it, insert into rectum.
It tastes like shit, but hey, better than going belly up 'cos you got no infusion set and aren't fan of cave xxxplorer.

From my experience the best diarrhea solution is the simplest. I mean, there was one time polymethylsiloxane polyhydrate, diosmectite and loperamide combined didn't help that much while a nice load of activated charcoal tablets tamed the volcano immediately.

Don't get injured in the first fucking place, retard. And if you do, walk it off.
Things would be better if we didn't have stuff like doctors and medicine and first aid to keep every idiot alive.

Ive closed a huge knuckle cut with super glue, yes it sticks, and yes it closes the wound in a couple of weeks of ripping it off and replacing it.

You use medical superglue as opposed to the toolbox stuff which is toxic and not flexible.

This is why we wash our hands after taking shits and why we don't drink unclean water.

From what I understand there is a thing that astronauts drink which is essentially saline but formulated a bit different which is excellent for hydration.

haven't used it myself but from what I've heard shit is supposed to heal by the time it wears off. What kind of glue did you use?

bring a marker too, and a watch, if you ever have to use a tourniquet you have to write the time you put it on, on the tourniquet

Always a good practice to carry a watch, dunno if there are a whole lot of people who actually remember to write the time down. Would probably help to keep the marker with the tourniquet.