Reinventing standards RP thread

Suppose that you went back to 1000AD and invented firearms, given the ability to utilize any modern manufacturing method how would you standardize firearms? Examples:

>Every screw is a phillipshead actually I haven't encountered any weapon where this isn't the case
Of course you would probably change some of the words for receivers that start with the same letter, like B for bolt-action and break-action.

What other things do you wish you could change, Zig Forums?

Attached: tactical nerf handgun.png (559x415, 230.08K)

Another thing about the calibers, using the same caliber for a short barrel and a long barrel isn't ideal since the powder would either finish burning after it leaves the short barrel or before it leaves the long barrel, but ammunition can be labeled with the length of barrel it is intended for by just having different powder rather than entirely different calibers. A long barrel bullet would still work in a short barreled gun of course, just not as efficiently.

No thanks. Torx, allen, or pozidriv.

I'd argue for Robertson, simple, durable, and holds screws/bolts like it's magnetic.
Torx is an obnoxious piece of shit that get's all kinds of crap jammed in the tiny corners be it from the factory or in general use.
I have never seen an Allen (screw/bolt or tool) that doesn't break immediately, it's basically known as THE head for made in china shit for a reason.
If you had said Frearson instead of Pozidriv I could've respected that but you even fucked that up.

I wouldn't standardize anything. Mass production is the death of beauty and every gun is meant to be a one-of-a-kind piece of art capable of shooting the shit out of anyone that doesn't properly appreciate it.

Attached: wheellock.jpg (640x480, 18.46K)

Can you imagine hand-crafted bullet with detailed pattern?

There's is actually a surprising amount of standardization already in place thanks to common caseheads. Most rifle cartridges have nearly identical sizes (the differences are so minimal that they are lost in practice due to the manufacturing tolerances), just look at the first pic. Then there are revolvers too, the most extreme case would be a revolver chambered for .410 shotshells that can fire .460 S&W, because then it could chamber .454 Casull, .45 Long Colt, .45 ACP, and .45 Schofield (and maybe there is one or two more that I forgot about). There is even a rimmed version of .45 ACP specifically for revolvers. And .45 ACP' shares its rim diameter with common rifle cartridges. In other words, if you had a rifle designed to fire a rimmed cartridge with the same rim diameter as these .45 revolver cartridges, then with a simple swap of the barrel (and possibly the magazine too) it could fire the whole host of revolver cartridges, maybe even the .410 shotshells too.
If you go a step down, you will see and other host of pistol cartridges, all of the descendants of the 7.65mm Borchardt. This includes 7.62 Tokarev (that is just an extremely hot load in practice) and 9mm Parabellum. And the size of their caseheads is the same as 5.56 NATO's. Needless to say, it's very close to .38 Special. Go down one more step. and you'll see that all those .30 calibre revolver cartridges are close to .30 carbine.
Considering all of this, I wouldn't reinvent the well, I'd just enforce the current situation, so that there are only common caseheads, lenghts and calibres. I'd make every cartridge straight-walled and either semi-rimmed or belted (I'm not sure which one is better). Of course semi-automatic firearms are rumoured to work less well with semi-rimmed ammunition, but that seems to be a baseless accusation to me. Just look at all those pistols from the beginning of the previous century that use semi-rimmed cartridges, not to mention all the commblock weapons that work just fine with 7.62 Russian. The Czech even made a push-through belt for that cartridge. And then there are all those Japanese weapons chambered for their semi-rimmed 6.5mm cartridge. But I digress.
In my endless wisdom I'd have these calibres for small arms:
And these would be the allowed lenghts overall lenghts of the cartridge (the case lenght might differ depending on a few factors, so it's better to standardize the maximum allowed OAL in my opinion):
Casehead sizes are rather straightforward with straight-walled cartridges, they'd correspond to the allowed calibres. So if you want to make a cartridge you pick the casehead, the calibre and then one of the available lenghts. E.g. the rough equivalent of .454 Casull would use the 10.5mm calibre and casehead together with the 45mm OAL (yes, it would have less capacity and a smaller calibre). For a rifle cartridge roughly similar to 6.5mm Creedmoor you'd pick the 6.5mm calibre with the 10.5mm casehead and go for a 75mm OAL. Of course you might have to introduce additional options for all three of them. Not to mention that you'd still end up with quite a lot of variation when it comes to bottlenecked cartridges. But at least you wouldn't have all these very similar but not similar enough cartridges everywhere.

Attached: 9mm_in_M27_belt.jpg (1933x1933 48.58 KB, 6.97M)

Easy to torque out.
Fuck you. 20 years of using that canacuck shit taught me otherwise.
You must apply the same pressure as a philips as the screw is driven into the object, otherwise the screw pulls free from the taper and strips. At least with philips it strips slowly so you can easily replace or continue driving the screw.
Torx is still better.
All screws should be slotted by this logic.

And I've never had one fail.

Your thread is shit and you're shit.

Armies are given a standardized cartrige to work with. They are then required to design their own weapon around that cartridge. They will then train with it until the flaws in their design are realized and they make adjustments. This would teach them to respect and care for their weapon. It would also teach them multiple manufacturing skills depending on what they decide to go for.
Soldiers have a weapon to be proud of and become attached to. They become disciplined through the labor they put into their weapon and the stress of training training with it.
It would be far too expensive of a program for any reasonable military to adopt though.

Allen is the best of the suggested but I'd just used a slotted phillips heads with appropriate screwdrivers. Torx is a piece of shit that torques out just as easily as phillips, but gives you false impression that it's more durable.

Attached: MHT932464055.JPG (900x900 50.79 KB, 47.5K)

Attached: random breaker bar.jpg (1500x1000, 45.61K)

Only caliber that should exist is 10mm

Sounds good to me.

B-but it's the same diameter, so muh OCD isn't triggered!

Attached: 15036677868500.jpg (260x194, 6.48K)

Attached: 201603311711260.traktatlogico.png (400x631, 377.44K)

You wouldn't be able to use the same barrel blank for all of those calibers unless they were all the same length projectile.

A blank is a shaped piece of stock with no cuts made. Projectile length doesn't mean anything.

Nigger, there are good reasons people use 12ga instead of .410, 5.56 & 7.62 instead of .50, and 5.7 instead of .45. The reason is that projectile caliber matters, a lot. ~ 10mm diameter being common for pistol rounds doesn't makes it a universally good caliber.
You're either retarded or the other option.

You shifted every single goalpost that you set. Literally every single one. You also apparently think that M4 barrels, M249 barrels, and M40 barrels all somehow come from the same source. That says all that needs to be said about how shitty your argument is, let alone the fact that it's nothing more than an ineffectual spergout in the first place because my post was just a response to another Strelok who suggested the idea, and I lazily played along. Are you capable of understanding that not everything is 100% sincere and srs bsns? No? Okay, I'll entertain your autistic ass then.

Because .410 is garbage.
7.62 what? .50 what? No common cartridges that fit those shitty vague labels are even used in similar purposes. Are you retarded?
Because you want an overpriced icepicking meme round instead of a hard hitting subsonic round, I guess. Again, not even remotely similar use cases in the cartridges you are obviously referring to. Retard.

Your post doesn't even define whether or not it's comparing .22 LR to .500 S&W Magnum, or .222 Remington to .45-70. This is how retarded you sound, retard, that you cannot even come up with a sensible premise for your pointless flailing. But oh, wise oracle, thanks to you we know that if any cartridge uses a bullet that's approximately .40" in diameter, it is automatically bad at everything based solely on that, because case design and bullet design don't real, and diameter is literally the only factor that decides anything! 10mm barrels in this completely hypothetical situation with no limit on creativity or resources are magically harder to machine than other sizes because raisins!

Suck start a shotgun.

Attached: Untitled 1.png (791x480, 33.19K)

There's a part of me that wants to explain why it would be a bad idea to use one caliber for everything, but it's so basic I'm inclined to believe this is purely b8.
Though I will say this much, why do you think (at least in rifles) straight walled cartridges generally got replaced with bottlenecked ones?

Replace the the word 'plastic' with 'elastic'. I just woke up. My bad.

Also, you disingenuous faggot, nowhere in any of my previous posts did I say a single thing about straight-walled cases. Where did you even get that from? Do you just imagine details that you want to argue against when they aren't relevant?

Are you stupid? Im jelous of our neighbors up north because robertson is way harder to cam out of than phillips.

Robertson is just as shit as Phillips.
t.guy who has autisticlly screeched at having to drill a screw out and retap the fucking hole multiple times.

I'm going to categorize rounds by the outside circumference of their casing, not the size of the bullet.
fuck you

You're all retarded, there can be only screw drive to rule them all. The Slotted Torx Screw!

Attached: to surpass metal gear.png (1024x1024, 60.01K)

Once again as I said in my first post "If you had said Frearson … I could've respected that but you even fucked that up".

The best screw drive is whatever kind of screwdriver is within arm's reach at the time, and all other kinds are shit-tier. Prove me wrong.

torx is only inferior to flathead. You have no idea what you're taling about. I can't tell you how many phillips and allen heads I've rounded out - yet never the above mentioned.

Just because the actual tool doesn't commonly break on allens doesn't mean the head doesn't get rounded out every time with any notable degree of torque. I've legit replaced all the screws in my RMR with torx because this has happened probably 3 or 4 times with allen. Never had an issue since.

OP is completely autistic and not in a fun way.
None of your proposals even merit a response, you won't get one, you colossal winged faggot.

Attached: OP in a nutshell.jpg (625x604, 122.53K)

You must screw 2 objects together. You have one of each type of screw and all the necessary screwdrivers are equidistant from you. What do you do?

Pre-drill the proper sized holes and use every single screw, so that my two things will never come apart no matter what stress they are placed under and nobody will ever have all the necessary tools to take them apart. Especially those stupid Security Torx shits that the right sized bit uusually doesn't even fit on. Congraturaion me, my house is now impervious to break-ins. What now?

I grab a screw and a screwdriver at random, and then get pissed off because they don't match.

This is also the correct answer.

25ACP for everything.

All pistols are now either smol or very high capacity
All shotguns are now pepperboxes
The most skilled marksmen can now take out a target from almost 100yds
Tank cannons produce far less collateral damage
Artillery is magnitudes cheaper to manufacture

Fuck firearms. I'd give England the lathe, drill press, and CNC machine, and let them go absolutely apeshit taking over all of Europe/genociding the lesser Europeans/North Africans/Mediterraneans in the ensuing technological revolution so we never have to hear about "muh Nationalist Germany stronk" or "muh Soviet Firearms" ever again.

Attached: 41cd8e64304813c41b4b9dd431a8fa8f52eb0d4b86878e9bb20b7b4be1d64a0e.png (858x1200, 782.36K)

I think we broke the mutts, lads.
Lmao stupid subhuman.

This is why the 56% actually

Read the OP, nigger.

Attached: 1553391073382.png (231x277, 50.33K)

What can we expect? Would be fun to see anglos monkey around with machines they cant power, kek.

Attached: They_Are_Laughing_At_You.gif (355x200, 2.87M)

Nothing more can be exxpected from a butthurt goblino.

Not to defend him, but first those machines were run with steam power, and you can easily replace that with water power. The much greater problem is that without the metallurgy to support them they won't be able to do much with those machines.

Attached: Line_shaft_in_Leipzig_1925.jpg (1280x934, 566.57K)

>Dumb tawny Kraut failing to realize that by your very argument, reinventing the wheel modern firearms in OP's scenario would be impossible
I'm not surprised. It's probably the inbreeding mixed with fear of proper Northfolk raping your people for centuries that keeps you illiterate.

Torx+ to-yield only

this is how holy wars start

Fucking mutt.

but you jews do tons of inbreeding and you can read just fine.

We more or less have this already, people keep making meme calibers anyway, and they'll never stop.

good luck actually designing this.

fuck no, fuck you.

Gun screws should always be slotted if they're ever intended to be used away from a bench. And if I was reinventing everything, Phillips wouldn't even fucking exist. everyone gets to use fucking Robertson (square) or something, but not fucking Phillips. I'm leaning towards Robertson since the drivers and fasteners are just as cheap and simple to produce as phillips with early 20th century technology. Good luck trying to convince everyone to use torx/torx+ in like 1935.

why

Allen is terrible.

Kek.
Which would not be you, mutts.

Stupid fucking mutt, lol.