Ethiopian Orthodox Church (Terawehdo?)

What does Zig Forums think of EOC? For example they don't eat pork and women cant go to mass if they have their period. Book of Enoch is also Canon in their Bible. Their holy language is Ge'ez
They are Miaphysities

Attached: ladda ned (25).jpeg (275x183, 18.83K)

It's interesting to see how apostolic christianity converges towards orthodoxy/catholicism and NOT protestantism. If the prot reformers were right about their interpretations we should see some sort of ancient "protestant "style churches SOMEWHERE in the world, that date back to the early christian period. But we don't. Their view of the eucharist, their view of scripture and baptism and all sorts of things is so utterly modern it's comical.

they're in communion with other miaphysite churches that do not have the same judaising practices as them so that would imply that they're only pious practices and traditions not of significant doctrinal importance.

Never change, Zig Forums

Pretty much.
They explicitly say they respect these things because they want to, and because the initial ethiopian church was made of a lot of jews, so they are honoring their spiritual ancestry, and not because it's dogma.

Doesn't this happen in (eastern) orthodoxy as well? At least in my country it does (also 40 days after giving birth)

Yup there is alot of Jewish tradition in ethiopian Christianity. Jews and Ethiopia has a big history together

I think yes. But i dont think its common for western orthodox people

There are stories about western Christendom in places like Spain after the reconquest as having banned bathing as a suspicious heresy for excessive washing of the body and hands being a religious obligation of the Jews and Muslims. It's also said monks would forgo bathing and acquire a "scent of piety".

In anycase I think much of these practices are commendable as the sacred should be treated with care and cleanliness or purity.

The practices of not going to Liturgy if one has their period or had a nocturnal emission the night before, and the practice of separating men and women, was historically Orthodox but nowadays only the Ethiopians and Eritreans consistently do it.

What country are you in?

That church looks really comfy.

I don't hate protestants. I just want them to have a better relation to God by entering a real Church, with real sacraments, one that Christ historically started, not one started by Pastor Jimmy John circa 1800s through his peculiar reading of scripture.

In my area they take up churches left behind by earlier groups, really a diversity of buildings from classical American protestant style to stripmall type locations.

How do i say this vut what text is the Ethiopian Bible based on? Masoretic text or Septaguinta

Interestingly Ethiopian Jews have the deuterocanon in their scripture.
I imagine Ethiopian bibles probably inherited some influence from the Septuagint or at least texts. The Copts whose jurisdiction they had been under use plenty of Greek terminology along with the Nubians but Ethiopians did preserve more distinction by comparison.

Gib the ark of alliance

It comes from the days before regular bathing and the use of pads. It was a sanitation issue.

Georgia

Byzantines were pretty clean as far as I know.
The theological justification, at least, is that since we receive the blood of Christ at communion, we must not bleed at the same time. As such, people with bleeding wounds can't receive communion, and this extends to women on their period.
Regarding men with nocturnal emissions, this is because of the belief that they're a carnal indulgence (even if not mortal sin) and so go again the preparation for communion of fasting. It's also a bit of Judaizing.

Interesting, didn't know Georgians still did it.

it's Tewahedo, btw

colourful church

Oh noes, crypto-jews! Stone them!
It's easy to forget early Christians were a very diverse bunch, and Ethiopians were quite distant from the rest of Christianity. Kinda like how the St Thomas Christians had a temple curtain and were a lot more Jewish in worship before the Portuguese Cathlocised them.
Catholics have Judith or Wisdom. So?
oooh, what a crime against God. (wut?)
I'm pretty forgiving about this. My understanding, visa view Copts, is that it's more about the specificities of language than necessarily theology. While I consider it a pretty low or core theology, I won't call them excommunicants because their ancestors explained Christ differently to mine.

tl;dr They're not a cult. They're just a reflection of a branch of Christianity that was separated from the bulk core of us for most of two thousand years and therefore evolved distinctive traditions for which they will fight and claw as much as any Cathbro or Orthbro will insist his(/hers) are the only right ones.

Best reply
Argumentatively, you're all over the place: you can't attack the "style" of protestantism and conflate it with (their) Biblical theological positions regarding the eucharist, scripture and baptism. Two different things. And then asserting it's "modern" when we're talking about ideas that are buried in the letters of Paul or at least in 12th to 15th century writings … you don't seem to decide who you're attacking: Wycliffe or Anderson.

But, the best answer, I guess, is to point out that were it not for a few tired-of-being-under-the-HRE/Pope's-thumb German Princes, Catholic soldiers would have extinguished Luther's ideas, just as they did every other attempt to bring western Christianity back from the depth of despair. Also note that protestantism is a reaction TO catholicism, not TO Tewahedo or other Orthodoxy. A fact worth pondering.

Attached: cure-for-such-is-beatings.png (483x368, 189.95K)

Why are you so defensive/aggressive ? I wasn't demeaning them I was just telling facts to people who don't know that much about them

Greek here, it's still a thing and we get some hate because of it by liberals now and then

Also i love Copts, we maybe have some huge dogmatic differences but i respect how pious they are and the fact that it's harder for them to be Christians there.

Wtf are you all right?

*like the book of "Henoc"
Fixed

Wisdom and Judith are part of the canon in most traditions. But Enoch is part of the Ethiopian and Eritrean traditions. Even Ethiopian Catholics consider Enoch to be canon.
It's of a lesser authority since it's deuterocanonical but it still tells us about Christ and was in fact referenced many times in the NT (besides obvious references like in Jude) so believing it is canonical is not so out there as you think.
Although one shouldn't necessarily bother with it if it's not part of the canon of their tradition. God did not give you an incomplete canon.

It's has irreconcilable heresies. Although it is right about Christ and some other things that shouldn't surprise us since they were Jewish Tradition back then.
Btw the deutero canonical books have the same authority as the rest of the scripture.

Ps: no Catholic can belive Enoch is Canon under penalty of excommunication if he is really aware of the danger of it.

The Deuterocanon does have a "secondary" quality to it though. Made most visible by the fact that it varies from one tradition to the other.

I mean… Ethiopian Catholics believe Enoch is canonical scripture. Go tell them that, not me.

There is only One True Tradition
Ethiopian catholics just like any other Catholic in the world must recognise the Canon of the Holy Scriptures as the Church defined. Those who knowingly deny one of the books or claim another one is canonical let him be anathema.

Are you Roman Catholic? Is Byzantine tradition false because they think 3 Maccabees and Psalm 151 are canonical? Because Ukrainian Catholics and Melkites definitely do.

Byzantine rite =/= from wtv Byzantine orthodoxes believe.
Byzantine catholics have the same Canon as we westerners do.

I was talking about Catholics.
No, they don't.

I'd like some proof user.

Ask any EC of Byzantine tradition. I'll be very confused if they tell you they follow the Latin canon and reject 3 Maccabees or Psalm 151 for instance.

Lol. If you ask 90% of the people who go to my parish church they wouldnt know the basics of the very basics of Catholicism such as Eucharistic theology and so on.
Of course catholics living in those areas are deeply influenced by their orthodox neighbours. Since its not their fault they aren't commiting a formal heresy.
By the law of the Church every Catholic in the universe must abide by the Canon of the Scriptures of the church.

Then ask a priest?
My EC friends are far from uneducated.

Noice.

Sadly miaphysitism and the judaising just ruins it.

this

To be the least bit fair they are technically Semites (just with a lot of black DNA) so in the most loose sense of the word they’re at least sticking with their traditions, but trying to rationalize Jesus into being some weird demigod hybrid instead of just accepting his being as unexplainable to the human intellect (using the analogy of oil and water implies Nestorian thought) is sadly heresy in the eyes of most other Christians and thus unless they repudiate it they cannot be called Orthodox.

also they’re treated like almost demigods by dude weed Rastas which is pretty funny concidering the actual source of the slave trade