Japan Is First To Land Rover On An Asteroid

Neptune News ™

The Hayabusa 2 mission is visiting an asteroid 200 million miles from Earth to collect samples. The mission profile involves a lot of robots, bullets, and explosives.

In 2014, the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched the Hayabusa 2 spacecraft on a four year journey to Ryugu, an asteroid nearly 200 million miles from Earth. The spacecraft has been in orbit around the asteroid since June and early Friday morning dispatched two rovers to the asteroid’s surface.

The confirmation of these rovers’ safe landing will mark the first time that a maneuverable robot has landed on the surface of an asteroid.

The two JAXA rovers, named MINERVA-II1 A and B, navigate using a “hopping” mechanism. Using a more traditional form of locomotion such as wheels or crawlers was impossible because the gravity on Ryugu is so weak. As soon as the rover with wheels started moving, it would’ve began floating upwards.

According to JAXA, when the robots hop, they stay in the air for up to 15 minutes at a time and can move around 40 feet per hop.

The first time a spacecraft landed on the surface of an asteroid was in 2001 when NASA’s NEAR mission touched down on Eros. Since then, several missions have been deployed to asteroids and comets, but none of the landers have had the ability to move once they touched down on the surface.

The two robots have a total of seven cameras between them, which they will use to create a stereo image of Ryugu’s surface. Later in the mission, Hayabusa 2 will dispatch a third MINERVA-II rover to the asteroid’s surface as well as the MASCOT lander developed by Germany and France.

Before Hayabusa 2 departs the asteroid, it will fly close to its surface with a sampling horn and fire a small bullet into the asteroid to collect the particles that are ejected during impact. To get a deeper asteroid sample, the spacecraft will also drop a small explosive charge to the surface and a camera will capture the explosion on video. The spacecraft will have to wait for nearly two weeks for the debris from the explosion to settle, at which point it will descend into the explosion crater, collect a sample and then begin its return journey to Earth.

Hayabusa 2 is expected to return to Japan in late 2020.

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ev7zy7/japan-just-became-the-first-country-to-deploy-rovers-on-an-asteroid

Attached: 1537541085366-2.jpeg (650x365, 22.92K)

There's nothing even vaguely interesting about Trump, or any of the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating an ear lately

Attached: 1537541184672-3.jpeg (600x509, 95.51K)

There's nothing even vaguely interesting about Trump, or any of the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating in here lately

Attached: 1537541199737-4.jpeg (600x337, 42.33K)

There's nothing even vaguely interesting about Trump, or any of the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating in here lately

Attached: PicsArt_09-21-03.47.56.jpg (1998x1486, 200.87K)

Attached: PicsArt_09-21-12.49.03.jpg (1386x1080, 112.84K)

Attached: PicsArt_09-20-04.28.00.jpg (1924x1733, 334.52K)

Attached: PicsArt_09-21-11.32.34.jpg (2147x1897, 155.93K)

are you trying to suggest that there is nothing even vaguely interesting about Trump, or any of the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating in here lately?

I'm not sure if I agree with your claim that there's nothing even vaguely interesting about Trump, or any of the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating in here lately, because there's something vaguely interesting about Trump, and the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating in here lately, although I wouldnt necessarily say that there's anything completely amazing or stupendous about Trump or any of the delusional paranoid conspiracy theory nonsense threads people have been creating in here lately,

trump scared my cat to death

Attached: dead cat.jpg (500x481, 126.69K)

Trump asked me if I wanted to do a 3-way with a transparent Double Vagina Onahole

Attached: love-ai-crystal-onahole-4.jpg (540x300, 15.24K)

Trump……..

no insult or punchline necessary

just his existence alone
is embarrassing enough

Trump likes black pussy

Attached: PicsArt_09-21-10.33.39.jpg (1212x2173, 137.01K)

here's your (You)

Attached: I repeat my argument ltnot admiring someone so _7f72f8f956cf2c6fab9cf1cd8a8c349f.jpg (223x226, 31.27K)

Go back to commieland you limpwristed faggot, and take your goon poon with you!

the only reason I'd ever
have a limp wrist

would be so I wouldn't slap
your face too hard while
my balls were on your
chin

whoever added a spoiler to my pic

…….I want you to know
I got that image off
the Toy Demon site
you advertise here
on Shitchan

its a photo of plastic

there's no nudity
……..just plastic

the really creepy part is that YOU
ADULT MALES in here obviously
never get any pussy, and the Toy
Demon Company has done their
demographic marketing analysis
and that's why they chose Shitchan
to advertise their loser product line

advertisers don't flush
money down the toilet

they know you guys never
get any pussy, and even
more importantly, they
know that unlike other
psychologically stable
guys who can't get any
pussy, YOU GUYS will
actually pay money to
masturbate into a tube

Wat? This was done like 4 years ago in the middle of goymergate.

t. Newfag
There's literally one vol for all of Zig Forums.

Doesn't matter. it's NSFW. NSFW images get spoiler'd on Zig Forums. People who spam NSFW images in retaliation get the banhammer.

Attached: 1527386855393.gif (255x255, 253.33K)

Yes but it just reached its destination. Shit in space takes a long time to reach, user.

That guy landed a permanent structure on an asteroid, not a rover. Both are equally amazing, this is just a little more amazing since the rover can move and thus map the asteroid.

U ass of a declines further

The Rosetta mission explored a comet, not an asteroid. It also didn't have a rover, as the lander stayed in place. "Hayabusa2 landed the first rover on an asteroid" is technically correct. While Rosetta is also noteworthy, NEAR Shoemaker is the first to touch down on an asteroid and thus deserves primary recognition in terms of historical landings on small astronomical objects.

lol blow me, you sexually failed
dungeons and dragons faggot

Attached: 24adbb51125d6cdbeedee7f51e5e7b6f864995d4a79d764cdbdb12e774a5cea4.png (1844x1210, 597.16K)

Didn't know (((Neptune))) was so shit. A rover was landed on an asteroid years ago.

whomst'd've'ly'yaint'nt'ed'ies's'y'es added a spoiler …

First to land on an asteroid? America was the first to BLOW UP AN ASTEROID.

CHECKMATE, NIPPON

Attached: Deep_Impact_HRI.jpeg (900x900, 37.05K)

Attached: bigstockphoto_American_Eagle_239566.jpg (1792x1412, 1.14M)