Is Self-Defense a Sin in Christianity?

I heard that self-defense is a sin, or does it depend on the denomination? For example I have been looking at other forums outside of 8ch on this topic to see how others would think. I saw that a lot of people actually supported the notion of self-defense being a sin,

Here are forums I am referring to:

orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=63753.0

religiousforums.com/threads/orthodox-view-of-self-defence.176905/

orthochristian.com/96216.html

So what do you guys have to say about this topic, and what does the Scripture support?

Attached: 244748.b.jpg (500x324, 31.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm
archive.org/download/catechismexplain00spiruoft/catechismexplain00spiruoft.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only it's not the sixth time, it's like the sixteen billionth time

Stop pretending you're new here and have the guts to admit you have posted the past 90,000 of these threads, pls

Attached: architect-6th-time-this-thread.jpg (410x410, 122.43K)

?

If this has been posted before then can you send me screen caps or links to other threads where this question was answered?
I meaned I tried going outside 8ch but the answers are pretty cucked, so that is why I am asking

short answer: it's not
long answer: vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm
medium answer:

I was also curious about this, is it only OT related to defend yourself or defend the weak?

What this guys said
The law of Charity "Love thy neighbor as thyself" presupposes that you love yourself in the first place. Submitting to abuse also proves that you don't follow the first law of Charity which is to love God, since you have allowed evil to persist through sloth. When Christ said "resist not the wrongdoer" he was urging people not to multiply violence by violent retaliation against insults to honour, not to abstain from self-defence. Christ lived in a very honour-bound society but rejected the morality of honour. Honour societies even today find such things as honour killings acceptable, or even honour suicides such as the Japanese custom of seppukku.

Sweetie, wherever you get your bigoted answer from doesn't matter because it's from one of the two jewish testaments and you're not one of God's chosen people so it doesn't apply to you.

Don’t be a pussy.

thank you so much, these are honestly beautiful answers, and my anxiety has been relieved a litte, but my question is, is why so many, even in the orthodox church give such cucked answers to this question?

ok

The bible would say no, a lot of Orthodox have this opinion though for some reason.

Exodus 22.2
If a thief be found breaking open a house or undermining it, and be wounded so as to die: he that slew him shall not be guilty of blood.

pic related

Attached: Resist Not Evildoer.png (1380x511, 379.22K)

That was Satan speaking. Don't mind him and read the Bible.

Wrong interpretation. Lack of the Holy Spirit's enlightenment, perhaps

The Bible is full of heretical bigotry so I wouldn't trust it.

Go back.

Literally anyone can make a board and it will never be deleted while reddit removes subreddits that violate their TOS. 8ch is the most cucked site on the entire internet.

The best defense of your life is to seek eternal life

A lot of people are wrong.
You turn the other cheek because if you slapped the person back that would start a fight you could have avoided, there's nothing wrong with self-defence when necessary

no

It depends of your Christianity flavor. If you believe more in the old testament/it's more important to you than the new testament, then yes, defense is allowed, and attack, and all .

But if you think that the new testament is more important and so is what Jesus said and did, then defense is wrong.

Remember when John cut the ear of someone in defense because they were imprisoning Jesus. Also, remember: love your neighbor and search no violence or retaliation and all that.

self also extends to family and friends and your neighbor, it's not only permissible but it's a moral duty to help those being attacked, the use of force is necessary.

Jesus attacked the money lenders with a whip…
And Jesus didn't change the moral law regarding defense of self, defense of neighbors, or punishing criminals. If you love someone you will protect them, that includes force against assailants. Gen 9:6 is always in effect.

John didn't understand what was going on in regards to Jesus and the crucifixion…self-defense wasn't the issue. Even Jesus said he could summon legions of angels to fight off his attackers but that wasn't meant to be.

No

The ten commandments instruct us to not murder.

If you look at the story of the prophet Jeremiah he preached for Judah to surrender to Nebuchadnezzar so that they would be spared.

Then they took Yirmeyahu and threw him into the cistern of Malkiyahu the king’s son, which was in the guards’ quarters; they let down Yirmeyahu into it with ropes. In the pit there was no water, but there was mud; and Yirmeyahu sank into the mud. ‘Eved-Melekh the Ethiopian, an officer in the king’s house, heard that they had put Yirmeyahu in the cistern. When the king was sitting at the gate leading toward Binyamin, ‘Eved-Melekh left the palace and said to the king, “My lord, king! What these men have done to Yirmeyahu the prophet is evil. They have thrown him into the cistern; and he is likely to die there where he is, because of the famine; for there is no more food in the city.” Then the king ordered ‘Eved-Melekh the Ethiopian, “Take thirty men with you from here, and bring Yirmeyahu the prophet up out of the cistern before he dies.” So ‘Eved-Melekh took the men with him and entered a storeroom under the treasury in the king’s palace, from which he took some old clothes and rags. These he let down with ropes to Yirmeyahu in the cistern. ‘Eved-Melekh the Ethiopian then said to Yirmeyahu, “Use these old clothes and rags as padding between your armpits and the ropes.” After Yirmeyahu had done this, they pulled Yirmeyahu up with the ropes and took him out of the cistern. Yirmeyahu remained in the guards’ quarters.

Tzidkiyahu summoned and had Yirmeyahu brought to him through the third entry in the house of Adonai. Then the king said to Yirmeyahu, “I want to ask you something; don’t hide anything from me.” Yirmeyahu said to Tzidkiyahu, “If I do say it to you, won’t you have me put to death? And if I give you counsel, you won’t listen to me.” So Tzidkiyahu swore secretly to Yirmeyahu, “I will not put you to death; nor will I hand you over to these men who want you put to death.”

Then Yirmeyahu said to Tzidkiyahu, “Here is what Adonai-Tzva’ot, the God of Isra’el, says: ‘If you will go out and surrender to the king of Bavel’s officers, then you will stay alive — this city will not be burned down; and you and your family will live."

Attached: Sebastiano_del_Piombo,_The_Raising_of_Lazarus.jpg (2919x3874, 10.79M)

It's not a sin, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Absolutely not

Any books etc that discuss more of the historical culture aspect like in that pic? It was fascinating to read about the council of jerusalem's debate of mosaic law and the removal of circumcision as a requirement partly because of hellenic culture disgusted by the practice.

Is that Yiddish?

Attached: 3ae6e396f.png (591x502, 53.38K)

Christianity should make you a pacifist, YOU personally have no reason whatsoever to go to a war you took no part in starting, to fight people you've never met and would likely get along with in better circumstances, for a cause that is contrary to the plan of universal peace that was Christ's, which has never been the political agenda of any nation since Christ.

If I were oppressed like say Ghandi or Martin Luther king or the early church Christians, I mean really oppressed not like someone who's car space is taken at the last minuit and pride is hurt, who should forgive instantly, then violent self defence is futile as well as sinful, I must use my legal rights to protect myself whilst trying to convince others of my case through peaceful debate and negotiation, only then can I say to God I did all I could to bring your peace to earth

In terms of self defence against muggers ect I'm not sure, I don't see how it's Christian to let someone you love get hurt whilst you are a capable defender, but this also must not be taken lightly and the bare minimum of defence needed must be used

Attached: d8557233b2aeb1143553f237af8ab5d42c3f8ece332d0a709e442cf9ad6c9e72.jpg (1500x2057, 893.44K)

I would say not. The Apostles were armed with bladed weapons, for utilitarian purposes but of course also fend against highwaymen. Luke 22 shows that Jesus suggested they sell clothes to purchase such armaments, likely to prepare them for the near future as protection and also for utility purposes.

Of course, it's also important to note that excessive violence is always discourage as has been pointed out by others here, so I won't repeat them. Essentially, do what is necessary to protect life, but only what is necessary. I would suggest one avoid going all "Death Wish" with that in mind.

archive.org/download/catechismexplain00spiruoft/catechismexplain00spiruoft.pdf

3.It is, however, lawful to wound or even to kill our fellow-man, if he threatens to take our life by violence, or anything that is absolutely indispensable to our life, and we have no other means of defence. This is called the right of self-defence.

Self-defence is not wrong, because our object is not to take another man s life, but simply to preserve our own; and the moral worth of an action is determined by that which is, not by that which is not its object. We are permitted to defend, but by no means to avenge ourselves; hence if we can save ourselves by flight, we ought to do so. If it is enough to wound our adversary we must stop short there. Above all, a woman is justified in defending herself against any one who attempts to violate her chastity. We are also permitted to kill any one in order to save the life of a third party; this Moses did when he slew the Egyptian who was striking one of the He brews (Exod. ii. 12). It is only lawful to put to death one who un justly seizes our property, if he lays hands on what is absolutely necessary to our existence, for then it is our life that we are defending. It is not right to shoot a robber who carries off something of no great value; nor can we plead the right of self-defence if it is only our honor that is wrongfully attacked.