Christian Literature

What are some of your favorite Christian books that aren't the Bible? What has helped your spiritual development?

For me I've read and enjoyed
.Augustines Confessions

Attached: Manual for Spiritual Warfare.png (1200x450, 671.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jaysanalysis.com/2014/06/23/creation-metaphysics-and-a-single-unified-science/.
youtube.com/watch?v=NSvBnJugYrQ
dropbox.com/s/7wdo4kfipfzxmer/nexus 3.pdf?dl=0
kanzenshuu.com/translations/wired-japan-1997-akira-toriyama-interview/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's a useful pic for anyone who wants some ideas for books to read

Attached: 1531380549249.jpg (3000x2900, 1.68M)

Is it good? very liberal? It has chapters on racism, globalization, and social justice, which always makes me cautious.

The EP does a good job at taking on these issues from a purely (Orthodox) Christian perspective.
The overall theme is "racism is an issue, globalization is an issue, the secular ideals of social justice are problematic, and Orthodoxy has the answer to all that".
The overall book is a bit lacking in profound content, since it is more of an urgent call to stop running into a wall, aimed at the secular world, than a message targeted at his own flock. But it neatly gathers what the Patriarch has always been saying about social justice, the environment, the state of society, globalization, etc. and always remains a purely Orthodox perspective on these subjects, rather than a more vague message that doesn't revolve around Christ directly.

Maccabees.

One day we'll have a thread without Baptists shitposting, but it will not be this day

Some books that have some Christian aspects and theme in it is most of the well known books by Dostoyevsky and Don Quixote.

I just finished reading Don Quixote a couple days ago and it's probably one of my favorite books out there. It's hilarious and at the same time, sad, especially in the ending of the book.

I've been reading a lot of the Summa lately by Aquinas. Also I really enjoy Imitation by Thomas Kempis. Against the Jews by Chrysostom is also a great read.

KJV ONLY

I have this book its not worth the price otherwise its ok the best part was the different ways that Church fathers interpreted matthew 16 and how they're not generally mutually exclusive

I’ve been reading through this chart, I’m on Backpacking With Dracula right now. It’s pretty good. I’m thinking of replacing Demons, Billy Budd, and the Hobbit with Crime and Punishment, Moby Dick, and the Lord Of The Rings respectively

Attached: A492D0CA-9FB8-47C4-B432-CEE9A737F4CC.png (1800x2300, 5.84M)

I've been reading The Desert Fathers. Not only is the zeal inspirational, but so is the mercy of these men. To emulate them would be arduous, but I pray that I may learn as much as I can from their example.

I dub thee a chart thread

Attached: christ-of-saint-john-of-the-cross.jpg (4120x8232 1.49 MB, 7.28M)

My bad I didn't know one was just incomplete

More. I'm Catholic but have a fascination with Orthodoxy and have been meaning to check out the Eastern Rite parish by my house.

Attached: bread pill christianity reading.png (1858x1354 3.35 MB, 356.56K)

Didn't mean to send so soon.

Attached: christian film movie recs.png (1208x3654 739.25 KB, 1.75M)

Attached: christian readings 2.png (1904x1920 548.13 KB, 778.17K)

based movie

Attached: christian novel to read 2.jpg (326x499 46.37 KB, 51.79K)

Would any of you lads have a copy of the papacy and the orthodox? I cannot find a pdf anywhere online and the price is quote absurd.

I pretty sure there's another version of this chart with a vastly improved Protestant section.

I think that the price is worth it considering the volume of the book. It also undoes a lot of Orthodox propaganda, and collects what modern scholarship has to say about the subject.

I found it on scribd some time ago but it got removed, sadly.
I think you're better off saving money until you can afford it.

Anime is good only for memes. Anime apologetics is heresy. Nothing more nothing less.

Ok, masonry can be seen as a christian like organisation.
-fight for truth
-had to struggle to make the world free
-have Bibles in their temples
-praise the eye of God
-have charities
-promote culture and technology

Do you see how easy it is to twist the truth?
The symbolism in anime is heresy. Watch an anime, sure, but don't you ever dare to call monsters Christ-like figures.
Watch your *stupid* anime and leave Jesus alone.

Attached: 1484033153691.jpg (1156x1694, 1.02M)

For me, personally it went in this order of posted pics.
And then finally at seemingly orthodoxy, although still discerning. But i actually like Jay's Articles they're good reads on this one right now.
jaysanalysis.com/2014/06/23/creation-metaphysics-and-a-single-unified-science/.

So far those are the books i've read alongside, C.S Lewis doodles. His talk on living in an Atomic age really hit the nail on the head for just plain, Naturalism and Materialism, and how these Philosophies are dead ends.

Attached: 1516577148128.jpg (1200x627 167.29 KB, 194.46K)

Hes literally the anti-christ, here is the clip where he falls from heaven and automatically enjoys hell more. youtube.com/watch?v=NSvBnJugYrQ

The video in this post, shows the satanic details in the Anime (Do what thou wilt, teaching sin as successful, the use of Satan, the japanese name for the dragon they wish to has a divine context), the only bad part of it is the author mentions reptiles, but the rest of the details are good.

No dude, i was talking about the anime list

Here:

I know Goku is bad. That's my point. Read better what i said in the post.

Yeah, those kind of videos are grasping at straws.
Goku is based on son wukong, a character from journey to the west, that's why he has a tale, because he's based on a monkey guy.
What I've seen of dragonball doesn't have any buddist propganda in it. Sure it has "ki", but it doesn't mention buddism.
Dragonball is no more satantic than any other secular show.
I'm not saying it's a good show I'm just saying it's not literal satanic propganda

gb2 the nerve center

Attached: wew.png (825x635 21.5 KB, 24.98K)

Is there a book by an Orthodox priest, that talks about the want to unify with the Catholic Church?

The Screwtapes letters and Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis.
The most helpful books about christian behavior I have ever read/

Absurd. Goku doesn't belong in hell, he's pure hearted, so of course it's not going to bother him when he accidentally falls into hell. He's also depicted as being stronger than the demons in hell, that's why he can go around as his happy-go-lucky self. One demon helped him escape hell after he lost a sumo match to Goku…

Except that's wrong, he's selfless and pure-hearted and even after he dies he doesn't remain in heaven but condescends back down to earth to repeatedly save mankind from destruction. And he doesn't even get the credit, everyone on earth thinks Mr.Satan is Earth's Hero.
He has no lust or greed in him, for example when Princess Snake tried to seduce him he didn't even understand what was going on because his intentions are always good.

Got any examples? Do what thou wilt is fine when what you will is always good.

sin leads to hell, thats why the bad guys are put in hell and the good guys go to heaven.

Do you have anything substantive to add? Cause your ideas are nonsense.

and he is depicted as a weak willed, cowardly and fame seeking guy who gets respect he doesn't deserve. Also he's a joke character.

Also to add the flying nimbus confirms Goku is extremely good as only the pure of heart can ride it not even Krillin could ride it (because he looks at adult magazines). And when Goku fought Devilman he was immune to his Devilbeam attack because he was so pure hearted, nothing in him to exploit…

Regardless the fact the symbolism is mostly for show it's also gnostic and new-age to the core. The goal of the NERV being to fuse all of mankind into a single psychic entity so "there is no pain anymore"
Plenty of neo-spirituality school teach stuff like this.

Look, I like anime. You can like anime but this list really comes accross as "I like this, and it has alright morals/superficial religious symbolism so it's christian."

Well, there is good to be found everywhere anyway and if a particular anime inspires you it's great. I'm just talking about the general attitude.

Attached: rpwJl.jpg (523x4409, 140.65K)

Also
tsst tsst tstt

Attached: God3.jpg (1088x1600 516.97 KB, 473.54K)

Remember, don't steal.

I've read the orthodox way by Timothy ware and it is not 558 pages long. It's like 350 max.

No one's stealing anything.

baww leave me alone

Has some content, the writter of it as Shintoist, Polytheists.

Now anime has a type of respect in its language for Christianity that Western Media doesn't.

Western Media is vicious on Christianity.

What message does this tell us?

???
Most of the time it's used as a cool exotic symbolism when they're not outright saying that the church is evil and that you should kill god in one way or another.
I sure do love seeing Joan of arc used as fapbait by Fate:Stay night.

Valis; Philip K Dick
That Hideous Strength; CS Lewis
Nexus
dropbox.com/s/7wdo4kfipfzxmer/nexus 3.pdf?dl=0

do you have assburgers?
oh boy you would hate C.S. Lewis

Goku is Christ-like though, since he saves the world and is pure hearted, basically a saint who knows martial arts.
Anyone who besmirches Goku is ignorant of his character or ignorant of morality in general.

DUDE GOKU IS A CHRIST-LIKE AND A HERO LOL

I'll quote Akira Toriyama himself

"kanzenshuu.com/translations/wired-japan-1997-akira-toriyama-interview/

Wired: There’s actually “poison” inside?

Toriyama: Right. There’s how, basically, Son Goku from Dragon Ball doesn’t fight for the sake of others, but because he wants to fight against strong guys. So once Dragon Ball got animated, at any rate, I’ve always been dissatisfied with the “righteous hero”-type portrayal they gave him. I guess I couldn’t quite get them to grasp the elements of “poison” that slip in and out of sight among the shadows.

Wired: Perhaps that’s because it’s animation aimed at children, after all?

Toriyama: Well, that might be some of it, too."

And even in the anime, Goku lets evil lives (Piccolo) because he wants to fight him again, not because "he might become good one day lol"
Same for the cyborgs, they had the chance to kill them before they even appeared and spare the death of many people but "lmao i want to fight them bro"
I like dragon ball, but stop. You guys are childish. Christ is nothing like goku.

wew

Read everything instead of using cheap greentext to escape. He might be more righteous, he is still not the selfless saint you imagine him to be; You might as well say that superman or most of western superheroes who save people are christ-like figure, but no you won't because it's not BASED ANIME.

Attached: argumentation.jpg (613x460, 47.7K)

That's because Goku is naive and that's how he maintains moral purity. If he was too aware of right and wrong he'd probably make mistakes. He's the happy go lucky type who always does what is good by intuition , even if his intention is to challenge himself by giving bad guys a second chance. And by giving them a second chance sometimes they convert to the good side….like piccolo and the androids and maybe freeza now.
Anyway Devilman confirmed Goku never had a negative thought and flying nimbus proves he's pure hearted which is extremely rare.
He's definitely a good role model for work ethic, optimism, being joyful and caring. In DBZ and beyond he's definitely interested in saving his friends and the world, and loves them a lot.

Don't you ever besmirch Goku or Superman. They are saints.

wew

This is what autism does to you, it leads you to making false idols out of superheroes written by japs and jews.

Attached: 1521467882792.jpg (303x402, 22.75K)

Yes goku is a good person, no arguing about that, but it's quite baffling people are so deep into anime, or perhaps to validate their interest, they will be as far as declaring profane characters christ-like or saints. Not even a deliberate christ-like allegory like Aslan, nope, Goku.
Now it's fine if he inspires you, Ipman (the movie character by Donnie Yen, not the real guy) inspire me, am I going to compare him to real-life saints and triviliaze religion? No.

It's profane art, and while there are good lessons to be learned from it, don't try to make it holy or whatever. It's an ultimately childish way of thinking, in the same way normal animefans always try to argue that "anime is very deep! Look at this surface level philosophy namedrop going on in Ghost in the shell" some people in christian like to grasp at straws to make their hobby seem legitimate
____

Now to get back on the topic (LITTERATURE) you can't go wrong with Dostoeivsky

Attached: crime and punishment.png (1400x2092 120.85 KB, 303.34K)

Christ is a jew. Neither goku nor superman are Jews.

They are role models not idols, like saints.

END WITH THIS AUTISM AND TALK ABOUT LITERATURE

On that note, I'd like to repeat my question from
Is there any book by an Orthodox priest that expresses the desire for reunification with the Catholic Church?

These lists are nice and all but how am I supposed to know what each is about and why I should read it? This thread should be for talking about books you read and why you liked them.

does anyone have that one "Christian challenge" chart. One of the challenges was to read Gospels in one month, but I lost the pic after that

Just read them in a day.

Also, if you're not reading in Greek and doing textual criticism, I don't see the point.

I hope someone has the chart though, I ain't that advanced yet

One of these two? Found them both today in the /sig/ thread that's up.

Attached: catholic challenge.jpg (1394x2048 218.9 KB, 3.05M)

the cloud of unknowing

actually, while god only knowns what the true intent of evangelion is, there are some interesting conclusions that can be drawn overall which are relevant to christianity, vs newage/gnostic/eastern thought.

the idea of fading into nothing, everything dissolving into one great pantheistic blob is something pretty common in these thoughts, that maya/ego/(in this case the AT field) is what is causing pain and suffering and if everyone just realized they were just one and literally became one big blob, this is the answer.

this eastern/newage nonsense is actually pretty popular amongst hippies and the like and western 'spiritual people'.

however shinji rejects this notion, and while everything isn't really clear, he rejects that concept or notion, and feels that being separated as an individual, despite there being pain and suffering is still worth it. now christianity is the one religion that really emphasizes that suffering is something to be embraced, for our rolemodel and example, the way the truth and the life, willing suffered more than anyone could possibly ever. so the idea of willingly suffering or there being some redemptive quality in suffering seems to be there.

also we reject the idea of us just dissolving and losing ourselves into nothingness. we remain individuals, like the saints in heaven, even after we experience the beatific vision. despite there being a form of oneness or unity in that all of the church triumphant (or saved) are united with God through the beatific vision, we are still individuals, with our own bodies.

I'm not sure how much other orthodox interpretations you can take from evangelion - i haven't thought about it too much yet, but there is a bit.

Art is a mirror of one's self. Nothing is totally devoid of light in some ways, and your interpreation is quite fine although individualism is pretty common is the modern (japanese) zeitgest… which is why they like the "kill God" trope so much, there's nothing better to express the desire to free oneself from the natural laws of the universe, it's basically luciferian to the core (no, I don't mean lucifer is making rpgs, I'm saying rejecting God/Rightful authority is a luciferian attitude)
Now I'm just gonna say something…
Evangelion is the anime where Lilith, a kabbalistic invention from the middle age is shown crucified like our Lord…
Either you accept that it's pure style and meaningless, or Evangelion's symbolism is actually relevant.
In both case, it's unchristian as F*CK

Attached: Lilith.png (640x772, 474.83K)

Read Crime and Punishment years ago and it's probably one of the biggest things that turned me towards being a Christian now that I think about it.

I started reading The Brothers Karamazov a few weeks ago, and even though I'm a slow reader and haven't made it far, I haven't been so involved in a book since I was a kid. Good feels from both. I plan on reading everything he's written once I get through this behemoth of a novel. I'm not a big reader but no other author has given me such genuine gut laughs and feelings of sympathy for his characters.

Attached: b6e32774e32249b68049173ba7044f72cb3df338aaacb8ab5899f3ec6785a5bd.jpg (685x900, 127.08K)

we can always try and come up with some orthodox interpretation for it. i wonder if that might be a good project to come up with some orthodox interpretation for eva and then spread it to anime fans etc. sort of like what jordan peterson did with all those fedoras.

also jordan peterson is pretty damn deceptive watching his career more. he keeps claiming he's a left leaning person, but what does he say that's actually left leaning? he keeps tweeting out climate denial stuff, is on pragerU, tweets out straight up republican points like about how all the black cities are democrat controlled etc. i'm certain he's pretty right leaning, but keeps saying he's left leaning.

he also did make a bit of a slip up (i think?) in a reddit AMA, where someone asked why doesn't he explicitly support christianity, and he replied saying because he feels it's stronger to support it implicitly. however yeah, i'm pretty sure he's still a junging pseudo gnostic, and yeah i actually haven't watched all that much of his stuff, but if you've ever read some church fathers, his stuff is pretty damn basic - it's only interesting to the loads of fedoras who never learned anything about religion, or learned a bit of the trash "evangelical" nonsense that gets passed around in america and think they know all about christianity.

i'll have to do some thinking to see if i can create some sort of theory to give it some orthodox interpretation.

>choose a personal vice and abstain from it for a month
hmmm….

Anyone here read the Mystical City of God? (Not to be confused with St Augustines City of God)

Attached: 2130x.jpg (868x900, 350.54K)

no i've heard that it goes on and on and on though. i'm sort of weary of marian maximalism. i think because of defending prottys we tend to not think that marian maximalism is an actual thing. i do intend to getting around to reading it at some point though.

The Great Divorce by CS Lewis. Also The Screwtape Letters because I learned something I didn't know when I needed it the most.

my man :)

Attached: lewis at desk.jpg (800x659, 118.92K)

He found heaven boring and fell asleep that's why he feel from heaven, exactly like lucifer.
Hes not though, he selfish to his family and gluttonous.
The seven sins are broken into different characters, Master Roshi's sin is lust.

Do what feels best, the video should have illustrated how positive sin is portrayed, like Vegeta's envy.

Also the name of the dragon of the dragon balls (the one you make wishes to) is nammed Shenron meaning "Divine Dragon" or "God Dragon"

The video answers this. 41:49

It doesn't matter what kind of exoteric mechanism that show uses to show that Goku is pure (which is exactly how those that worship Lucifer describe him, as innocent, pure.). He is still a gluttonous, absent father who is bored of heaven and enjoys hell, the surface interpretation of the story is a contradiction.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (2048x1536, 411.25K)

Wait are we talking about the original series or Z?

Attached: Koala.jpg (1024x768, 762.53K)

Haha, those are some fitting Satan trips. Both the original and DBZ.

I hope it's because you faggots consider it part of the Bible.