Protestant wants to get into Orthadoxy

I left my “reformed” acts 29 church I had been raised in because the Clown Calvinism was out of control. I’ve been unchurched for about a year, but a friend recommended I try out orthodoxy because there are a few Greek churches around. What are some good resources for protestants to orthodox Christianity?

Attached: moot gym.jpg (500x375, 45.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/inq_anglican.aspx
oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith
gometropolis.org/im-orthodox/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/inq_anglican.aspx

I find this persuasive and think on it often

Just go to the Liturgy in the beginning. Talk with the priest afterwards, then if you are still interested start doing your homework.

The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware is a good starting point, even if people will jump in with dumb memes
I would also suggest reading the Apostolic Fathers, it's always good to have a strong understanding of the early church
As far as what you should do now, visit Orthodox Churches, all of them if you have more than one locally, and then stick around till a catechism class starts or talk to the priest if there isn't a planned one, if there are multiple Ortho churches look into catechism at the one with the priest and parish you connect with the most

Read the Bible.

oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith

This is the gateway to begome. It will give you the courage to attend a liturgy. Lots of OCA and Greeks are protty converts these days, and you will find many like minds. Try the parrish closest to you as they can be distant depending on your location.

Excuse me, but what is "Clown Calvinism"?

Oh look, it's the guy that answers virtually every single question on Zig Forums with "Read the Bible". The Bible will surely give resources on differences between Eastern Orthodox belief and culture, the Patriarchs, and the Desert Fathers, especially a Protestant Bible!
You don't come across as condescending, you come across as a shithead.

Honestly, that's some of the better advice you'll get here.
We can hash out threads all day but if a Christian doesn't have a good knowledge of the Scriptures, he can be persuaded by almost any argument.
I'd recommend user start with the Scriptures and keep around some commentaries to help open them up a little more, like some from Augustine, or Chrysostom, or Calvin.

Good luck brother, check this out

gometropolis.org/im-orthodox/

There are two links there, one for " Orthodox Catechism: Basic Teachings of the Orthodox Faith " and "I'm Orthodox What does that Mean?"

Pretty basic stuff, but good to know.

>commentaries by calvin
Would simply confuse a new reader who can't distinguish the heresies and misreadings that calvin/luther/etc promote

Like the Eunuch said, how can he understand what he reads if no one teaches him? Christ started a Church particularly for this reason, so that scripture has living teachers who know how to interpret it, hence the need for an oral tradition and an actual continuous church throughout time.

As an ex-prot who recently became orthodox, I'll tell you to go the liturgy and ask the priest questions.

Watch this

Essence-energies distinction.
I know it seems a bit esoteric but you must understand Orthodoxy is not a cult of reason before you begin to "experience" it, which is very different from scholastic "understanding".
It basically means the Monk has better grasp of God than the Theologian.

The Bible is the core document of the Orthodox Church, so yes. Even a Protestant translation is fine, although it'll have missing books.

The scriptures interpret themselves.

Thanks for the resources.

Attached: p[atroll.jpg (532x552, 49.16K)

A wishful thinking.

What is your authority?

The Bible? Well, apparently this authority doesn't work, as there are more than 1000 prot. heresies.

Then the pope? Well, we agree that this authority is bad, but at least it does what it is supposed to do – to keep the Catholics together.

Then what? The Holy Spirit.

One interesting thing about the Orthodox Church that amazes me is that its canons seem to encourage schisms. I am told that it is my obligation to separate from my bishop if I see that he is a heretic. And despite these self-destructive canons the Orthodox Church survives, visibly disunited but spiritualy united. How? I think this is because it actually has the guide of the Holy Spirit.

Regular Calvinism.

That's why protestants disagree on almost everything and have the most variance out of any denomination

You forgot someone

Attached: c0fc99ba904bade34cdfba23f0e53fcab7ef9fed295b3553aea966b3e5ff77dc.jpg (2500x2097, 1.14M)

I'm going into surgery in a few moments, and I'll reply more, but I'm on the same journey.

>Trying to understand their theology why aren't they covenantal Baptist ;_;
>borrow The Orthodox Church by Ware

Apostolic Fathers especially Ignatius and The Didache. Remember these were written by people only 100 years removed from the Apostles and give a clear example of what the Apostles wanted the Church to be.