How to make the life of your local church easier:

How to make the life of your local church easier:

> Don't get divorced or an annulment.
> Don't drink around or marry! people who abuse alcohol.

By following these simple rules, you will save your local church a lot of trouble in fixing the consequences of you not following them.

Attached: a8cf58c0e75ee3f31316f3c1fc6de718.jpg (1000x1205, 299.86K)

Proverbs 23:13-14 disagrees.

Even if you think that's a literal rod, many of parents do it because they're angry. And that's how you get seriously messed up kids.

what's the point of this thread again?

Do coffee and tobacco count?

In my experience they aren't as deleterious. Tobacco leads to a miserable old age, 20-30% get COPD and lung cancer is a bad way to go. But I don't see people washing up on the steps of the church due to cigs.

Coffee, well, go wild.

Drugs aren't inherently sinful, abuse of your own body is however. You're making me want to get coffee though

What the winnie the pooh?

You'd think this would be the most basic step but it's amazing how many people screw it up

I have a question about this. My father's first wife divorced him. He tried to fight it, didn't want to divorce it, wanted to make everything work out but to no avail - she left him high and dry, took the three kids and got him for years of alimony and child support.

He got remarried and had me. Did he sin in doing this? The church wouldn't annul his marriage even though he tried to have that done. It really hurt him when the Church wasn't there to help him in his time of greatest need, and led to him leaving it.

I'd say no, as neither coffee nor tobacco are intoxicating - they neither alter your thought process or behavior - unless you've become addicted to them and begin to suffer withdrawals, in which case you've let your use of these drugs become uncontrolled which is indeed a sin. However, the use of them in and of itself is not sinful.

I'm going to punt on whether he sinned, but it's not the kind of conduct that's creating boatloads of troubled souls, especially if you were well catechized. The first wife, on the other hand…

I'm sorry, I'm not an intelligent man and don't know what you mean by this. Could you explain this more?

What I mean is that after his wife left him, he found another woman and had another kid. If they raised you up OK, I'm more worried about the 3 kids from his first marriage than you. Healthy, vibrant, intact families generally do OK, and providing him creating that for you is good.

ugh, I can't type
*, and him creating that for you is good.

Yes, I would assume he did sin. Are you familiar with the Church's teaching on divorce and remarriage? And that aside, leaving the Church is a whole host of sins, as well as severing yourself from the only means of healing them.

well I went astray for a while but eventually came back to Christ (albeit, in the form of Orthodoxy) but I'd say he did a fine job raising all of us - we are all now stable adults with jobs, a few of us have wives etc

I understand this, but when I tried to talk to him about it he simply told me the Church wasn't there for him when he needed them the most. I'm not sure what exactly happened between him and whatever priest(s) were directly involved in this process, but apparently whatever interactions they did have ruined his image of the Church. From what I gather he was made to feel guilty for his wife leaving him, like he should have fought harder for her to stay or something. Like I said though, I am not sure.

I know none of this excuses the sin, but this is his reasoning behind it. He is a very good man, better than I and many others that I know - I simply pray God will have mercy on him and show some understanding towards his plight and will decide to save him in the end. He still believes in Christ, just doesn't participate in the Church any longer.

I'll say this - if anyone is deserving of God's infinite mercy, it's my father. Moreso than I, the actively practicing Christian of the family.

What about beating your child into discipline? The same can also be said for rape

Leave that to all the hispanics in my diocese?

Don't beating your kids ends with them becoming brats. God The Father use punishment, including corporal one, for his children so earthly fathers should too. We are not pelagians, children as much fallen as we are.
Alternative advice:

Spanking =/= punching. There should be nothing more than a red mark, and in my case it only took a few times. And for Christ's sake (and I mean that in the literal sense), never punch your child in the chest or kick him/her.

rape into submission??? wut

t. muhammad

Genesis 1:29

Tylenol makes you sterile.

Attached: raw.gif (244x246, 940.9K)

So I guess opium is ok too. winnie the pooh potheads.

kek

Heavily disagree. Had anxiety problems for 5 years, tried everything to figure out why. Finally, after heavy prayer, realized it was coffee. Suddenly I can interact normally again and my life is becoming successful without the anxiety. Also, I wake up rested in the morning- I don't need coffee to get up.

I think caffeine is not as bad as some drugs, but it's still bad, and people don't realize how much damage it can do.

Chastening ≠ beating

Everything in moderation.

Just do a little bit of heroin?

There's a biblical injunction against insobriety. If you're seriously arguing for the freedom to smoke pot in such moderation that you aren't intoxicated, then maybe you're not wrong in principle, but nobody is going to use and not abuse pot. If you're arguing that getting high isn't insobriety, get your head checked.

The argument, by the way, that because other drugs are as bad as/worse than weed and yet are socially acceptable therefore weed should be accepted too is asinine. Alcohol is enough of an evil, we don't need two drugs of that sort and you couldn't ban alcohol even if weed WAS better. What you're arguing for is just doubling the amount of harmful substances. Normalizing it is degenerate, and there's no upside.

Attached: f8b6691da9d1b1f47f95411c450eddacb30a69b5ee5567f0535ff9504d72a7ed.png (607x395, 503.78K)

Oh hi, Michael Pearl.