Filioque Thread

Let's discuss the Filioque. Here, I'll start:

RC's, the Filioque isn't just a problem of "semantics" as some of your theologians have tried to pass it off as. Your current doctrine of the Filioque was fully defined at the Council of Florence (1431 A.D. - 1449 A.D.). This is when reunion was supposed to happened between our two Churches, and you claim that the definition of the procession of the Holy Spirit is the same as the Orthodox profession. But that is not the case. Here is an article explaining why we do not accept it:

orthodoxyinfo.org/CouncilOfFlorence.htm

Excerpts:

:)

Attached: 267350.p.jpg (550x272, 19.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!mYY3WQpB!YDDUN320VOOCHII_Itvk28iw5qIv8c1juAJ24rAT0mM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We do not deny the Father is where it begins.

Disregard any Orthodox polemics that use the term "Latins" to describe Catholics.

This.

What should we say? Romans doesn't sound as good and Roman Catholics is a pain to type over and over. Latins works

Catholic is just fine enough. That’s like calling Orthodox the “Greeks”.

They aren't Catholics though. Greeks and Russians doesn't work because neither patriarch has immediate jurisdiction over the other, but if someone was saying Greeks I would get it pretty quick and not virtue signal about it

Okay, how about we refer to them as Western Christians while you guys are referred to as Eastern Christains, so our panties won’t get in a bunch.

Mods, please don't delete this thread, I'm typing something big.

Bump out of interest. Not really an argument but I read/saw (can't remember) an Orthodox point out that the way we Catholics have the Trinity a lot of people seem to think the Holy Spirit lesser than the Son as opposed to equal.

What I'm writing is turning out to be really long. I'll post a download link to it instead of flooding the thread with posts, once I'm done. I hope it will be useful for discussion.

mega.nz/#!mYY3WQpB!YDDUN320VOOCHII_Itvk28iw5qIv8c1juAJ24rAT0mM

I copied down quotes from saints up to the council of Florence (plus the doctrinal definitions of Lyons II and Florence since they're important for Catholics, and show how the final attempt at reunion went.

Unfortunately I can't read this until tomorrow. But looking forward to it buddy.

This thread is somewhat pointless because the modern Catholicism is a reed shaken by the wind. With the Jews the rulling Catholics become Jews, with the Monophysites they are Monophysites, with the Orthodox they are Orthodox, with the homosexuals they are homosexuals, etc. Thank God, this is not so with the simple Catholics, but it is true about those making the official Catholic policy.

With respect to the "Filioque" when discussing the issue with Orthodox, they will tell you that the position of the Orthodox is true and that Filioque refers not to the origin of the Holy Spirit, but that the Holy Spirit appears to us from the Son. Which is ok from Orthodox point of view: the Holy Spirit originates from the Father (only) but He is Spirit of the Son and He is appears to us from the Father and from the Son and through the Son – the preposition really doesn't matter in this particular context (as Palama explains).

But all this doesn't mean the Catholicism has changed its theology. It only means it no longer has firm theology.

I'm just noticing there are a lot of typos. I didn't sleep in a while, okay. Bear with me here.

Attached: 5ff027e2b77bbfc2f55c5b47e99bf37a.png (350x227, 140.25K)

The way you're putting it makes it sound as if the Son and Holy Spirit didn't always exist

Holy crap 14 pages, just having a look now. Looking forward to it.

That was an extremely good read. Thank you very much for taking the time to compile it, will be sure to save it for later use in discussions.

Highly suggest other anons in this thread to take a look at it. The user has compiled an unbiased look at the filioque and put a bunch of quotes from Church Fathers mutual to both the Orthodox and Catholic faith.

Would have to say this is my most appreciated analogy from it all.

Bump.

Only if they havent read what the Cathecism clearly teaches

The filioque imbalances the trinity. The father is the begettor, the Son is begotten and the spirit spirates/proceeds from the father, The father is unbegotten..They all have unique distinctions.
If the father and son generate the spirit then their distinction is confused, and puts the spirit beneath both.

Also the pope as Christ on earth implies he sends out the holy spirit.

There are western orthodox and eastern papists.

Papist works. Or romanist.

Well, catholic is a greek word and roman didn't mean from the city of Rome as the average person thinks it does today. The eastern roman empire citizen called himself roman.
It's like calling kikes and the Talmudic Palestine State jews and Israel. Or Zionists, semitism. Funny how both control language like that.
You can't even describe both of them in a politically correct manner without attributing veracity to their usurpation of orthodox cults.

That's why any man free from language bondage ought to call kikes kikes and papists papists. I'm still to find a good name for so called State of Israel.

I’ll just call you heratic then, even things out for us.

Well this brings me back to my original point, calling us Romans doesn’t make sense. Let’s just call each other Catholics and Orthodox, makes things easier. We shouldn’t be lazy, just type the whole damn word instead of coming with nicknames. Back to the thread topic, what was it again?

Of course it isn't.
It's a meme issue made by the Orthos to Schism.

necessary bump

Attached: 19227c30b75d88ff96e15a358cf79790523b0c475ce764374da77df2441614f6.jpeg (1242x765, 398.65K)

From what I remember it went something like this.
So it started off as a meme issue but now its spiralled into an actual issue.