"Again I tell you...

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

What did he mean by this

Attached: p_Church_Poster_02.jpg (320x249, 40.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thecatholicthing.org/2010/01/04/camel-or-rope/
8ch.net/christian/res/700109.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"And when they had heard this, the disciples wondered very much, saying: Who then can be saved? And Jesus beholding, said to them: With men this is impossible: but with God all things are possible."

Those would both be very hard things to do ordinarily. But God is extraordinary, so it's possible.

Attached: 644993f93179d01189f28b098d4a5ac9b788a6848b65e07be94635212bbb0144.jpg (720x337, 65.25K)

I would read the rest of what Jesus said in that chapter (both Matthew and Luke). The question arises, then who can be saved? Jesus replied, “Listen to my words: anyone who leaves his home behind and chooses God’s kingdom realm over wife, children, parents, and family, it will come back to him many more times in this lifetime. And in the age to come, he will inherit even more than that—he will inherit eternal life!” This lines up with what Jesus said, that anybody who picks up his cross and follows Him is worthy of Him, and that man does not live on bread alone, but on every Word of God. Ultimately, we are to put God first in our lives. We are to give up our own earthly dreams, cast down our idols, and give it all up to Him. Will you be that seed that gets suffocated by the worries and cares of this world? Or will you be the seed that produces abundant fruit for the Kingdom of God?

Also fun fact, the verse is most likely to be translated as: In fact, it’s easier to stuff a heavy rope through the eye of a needle than it is for the wealthy to enter into God’s kingdom realm! As translated from the Aramaic. The Greek is “to stuff a camel through the eye of a needle.” The Aramaic word for both “rope” and “camel” is the homonym gamla. This could be an instance of the Aramaic text being misread by the Greek translators as “camel” instead of “rope.” Regardless, this becomes a metaphor for something impossible. It would be like saying, “It’s as hard as making pigs fly!”

thecatholicthing.org/2010/01/04/camel-or-rope/

Attached: www.thecatholicthing.org_images_rope.jpg (360x240, 51.81K)

There have been many interpretations, though I find the least convincing one the idea that being rich makes you destined for Hell. The one I tend to accept is that, at the time, rich people were considered the most righteous. After all, if they weren't righteous, God would have taken their riches away, right? Jesus then shows that this rich man (and from his questions, a genuine seeker) was unwilling to give up what he had to follow Him, and then says that rich people can't be saved. The reaction could be read as something like "If even the rich can't be saved, who can?"

How to spot a leftist 101: quoting the first half of this verse this verse and ignoring the second half.

how to spot a Zig Forums faggot, brings politics into every thread about faith

People probably got the point of it even back then. Tax collectors were also viewed negatively.
Much of the gospel story looks pretty obvious to those hearing it and its characters likely came off as hugely oblivious and dense which is probably a reason why it stirs up a lot of passion in some people.

Look, you posted half the verse trying to make it seem as if Christ said the rich cannot enter heaven: yet you complain when I bring up politics?

This is a figment of someone's mind, the original is Greek.

I'm not clergy, but that's what the gospel says. If you are rich you need a miracle. If you are poor regular old faith will do.

I am pretty sure it heterodoxy to put any sentence in the bible into context, in the very paragraph it is found even.

This doesn't mean rich people can't go to heaven, as Jesus said Himself. But it's also true that "the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1 Timothy 6:10) Lusting after riches, which are corrupted, instead of God, who is incorruptible, is a sin, not to mention going to hurt yourself badly on earth.
See associated sermon for details. Anderson is great when he's not doing the anti-vax or acausal salvation thing (he's an Arminian at heart but is too attached to the Baptist once-saved-always-saved doctrine)

Any Human being redeemed through Christ and being accepted into God's holy kingdom is a miracle, silly bitter poorfag

But that's not what it says. Read all of Mark 10/Luke 18. It's less to do with the wealth of the man than the intercession of God. Richfags and poorfags who focus on the shinies are missing the point.

I…what? How else am I supposed to read it? It's probably one of the most unambiguous sections!

You guys realize that by “needle” they’re referring to the stone structure and not the tiny “pins and needles” needle, right?

Attached: C6A4D722-4A7B-490A-807B-125B52F17A7E.jpeg (1024x768, 124.49K)

Medieval myth

Nah. Sewing needles have been around a long, long time.

Attached: history-of-sewing-machine-3-638.jpg (638x479, 46.4K)

I think he's poking fun at the fat rope explanation from earlier in the thread.

bump

Half of Job is the other people telling him he must've sinned and that's why he lost everything.

If you have more money than you need and live an extravagant lifestyle with little to no regard for the ones who don't even have the basic human necessities, this is a sin.
I think think is what Jesus meant with that.
Having money and not using it to help others, instead using it for your own worldly pleasures seems like a pretty big sin to me.

I liked this thread better when it was this thread
8ch.net/christian/res/700109.html

It means what you think it means: it will be incredibly hard to have true faith and fulfill God's will if you are surrounded by riches & all kinds of luxuries
Tough luck kid. It's even reinforced by Matthew 6:24. You can do all kinds of American mental gymnastics but it's as clear as it gets.

This. You CAN be rich and virtuous, it is just that wealth makes it that much harder because it takes your attention off what truly matters.

Rich does not just mean monetary wealth but rich is how attached one is to the world. The richer someone is the less space they have for God in their heart, because their heart is rich with concern for the world…the poor in spirit have much space for God, they are not enchanted by the world like the rich, they thirst for the spiritual, so they will see God and pass through the narrow gate.

I'll throw a spanner in the works here…

The word for camel is gimel (in Hebrew), the third letter of their alphabet, and can also mean rope… so it may simply mean rope through the eye of a needle.

I've heard another theory that needle was the name of a specific gate in Jerusalem which was very narrow but I don't buy it.

In other news… if you store up treasures in this life you forgo treasures in the next… for he who is attached to this material world can not inherit the kingdom of heaven, the spiritual world.

Pretty sure it means that being rich is sinful. It doesnt mean be dirt poor. It just means don't be rich.

Sorry but God doesn't care about "muh property rights".

Leftypol does the same to people who say homosexual acts are sinful. Dont pick and choose what you do and dont like.

Your chosen interpretation of gospel has zero to do with what it says both in the context of that verse and in its broader content. Your retarded comment about "muh property rights" is equally vapid and nonscriptural. I have every reason to believe you're from, if not Zig Forums, somewhere else and are only here to push your angle. You don't even know how to write board names.

Peak autismo. Stop trying to justify sin because it doesnt agree with your political ideology

You need to fight the good fight more, call people heretics more and be smugger. Otherwise you probably haven't done the good works (works - not only faith) and you hardly won't make it. Learned all this from Zig Forums and You did Not- you prothodox scum. :)

just fyi camels were a common brand of cigarettes back then too

You should seek information about a small gate in the wall of the old Jerusalem called "the eye of a needle" because the gate was slim: Camels who passed through had to be unloaded without their packings outside the wall to fit and the gate was low: the camels had to bent their knee to pass through the gate. Other intrepretations is that the camel should be miss translated for a rope, but I feel that is not so strong because in the old Greek writings New testament the translation for camel and not rope appears three times in the Greek texts. Please Seek for yourself and make your own opinion.You have to leave everything outside the gate and bend your knees to get into heaven.