Can someone explain to me what happens in Heaven...

Can someone explain to me what happens in Heaven? My philipino girlfriend who is baptist is claiming that when we're in heaven we spend an eternity worshiping God and if we were married and saw each other we wouldn't talk to each other or hug or anything. I'm not asking for lewdz but I feel like not talking to her would make me sad.

Attached: Rasslor.jpg (450x318, 18.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=32115
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, this is awfully material way to view it (huh, protestants view things in a material way, who would've poohing thought?), but even broken clock is right two times a day: God is basically everything one would need. Especially when you are immortal being departed from body and dont need anything material to survive anymore. But denial of communion of saints is retarded and extremely egoistic.
But way questions are formulated is that as if people forget that endgoal isnt living as a spirit in immaterial universe but resurrection after second coming with restored and enhanced physical bodies. What will universe be like after second coming…nobody really knows that, only that saints will be happy and joyous while damned will be bunch of angry wojaks

So what you're saying is we just don't know?

well…kind of
All descriptions I have read in patristics would usually end with basically "this is a dumbed down version for everyone to understand and shouldn't be taken literally"

It would be cool if there was a theater mode, similar to the one in COD BO, based on your life. Like you could see yourself in a 3D perspective and see what would happen if you took different life decisions and saw what people REALLY thought about you.

tbh…thats basically hell

it’s almost like the popular vision of heaven includes everything Man doesn’t like and nothing that he does, and it’s mind boggling that he would want to go there at all. Who would want to sit around for the rest of eternity, singing and praying to God with no breaks, no casual chitchat, no rounds of golf, no games of chess, nothing to read, and definitely no having sex with your wife?

t. Samuel Clemens

to elaborate no, you wont be an automaton only hardwired for choir singing. Yes, you will interact with other humans and angels. Yes, you will be co-heir with Christ and rule creation with Him. No, being a Saint is not boring (NO, Origen, your opinion doesn't matter). Yes, there will be resurrection and every human being will have its body restored.

I'm pretty sure we'll just be living a similar life, but it'll be without sin. I really don't know though.

My understanding is that in heaven we are in a state of bliss awaiting the resurrection in which we inherit the new Earth, heaven is not permanent, that's a misunderstanding that has leaked into popular christian thought.
So what do we do in heaven? I'm not sure if concepts such as "do" apply, but i do believe we receive the glory of God, the love of God etc, and then we are raised to the new earth. The New Earth is like this Earth but renewed, no sin, no death, no pollution, like how we live but perfectly.

4 u

i don't know much by myself so ill just copy and paste this here:

The intuitive knowledge of God which produces heavenly beatitude. As defined by the Church, the souls of the just "see the divine essence by an intuitive vision and face to face, so that the divine essence is known immediately, showing itself plainly, clearly and openly, and not immediately through any creature" (Denzinger 1000-2). Moreover, the souls of the saints "clearly behold God, one and triune, as He is" (Denzinger 1304-6). It is called vision in the mind by analogy with bodily sight, which is the most comprehensive of human sense faculties; it is called beatific because it produces happiness in the will and the whole being. As a result of this immediate vision of God, the blessed share in the divine happiness, where the beatitude of the Trinity is (humanly speaking) the consequence of God's perfect knowledge of his infinite goodness. The beatific vision is also enjoyed by the angels, and was possessed by Christ in his human nature even while he was in his mortal life on earth. (Etym. Latin beatificus, beatific, blissful, imparting great happiness or blessedness; from beatus, happy.)

catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=32115

Classical theology characterizes as the most essential aspect of Heaven the beatific vision, which is defined as:

When considering existence one does not always appreciate just how central knowing and understanding are to human experience. Man is at heart a knower. Take a player at a game of golf who utilizes his cognitive powers and skills, thoughtfully developed over years, to execute a successful strategy. Think of new acquaintances who delight in discovering a shared interest which takes them into hours of enthusiastic conversation. When we consider this aspect of our natures, we can expect the beatific vision to be nothing short of incredible, because it will be a direct knowledge of God Himself, the source of all good, who Himself is infinite.

Those in Paradise right now are merely waiting for Christ's second coming, and receiving a foretaste of the glory of the Kingdom of God (to the degree one can do so without a body).

In the Kingdom of God, those who are saved will eternally worship God and be bathed in His love. They will see God as He really is. I hope you like Divine Liturgy/Mass, because if you're saved that's what your eternity will look like.

Lets look at what we already know.
It seems those in heaven are not bored nor choir singing machines, but rather have power like that of the angels. Heaven appears to provide more freedom than physical life, not an eternal sentence to choir singing.

Attached: 6BCF818B-A1E4-4596-9941-815CF6249EC0.png (873x700, 72.67K)

Aren't we going to live in New Jerusalem on the new Earth instead of in heaven? (Revelation 21:1-3)

Yes, at the end of time.

i just hope our pets are there

Source?

Catholic saints are required to perform miracles posthumously as proof of them being in heaven. The only religion I've heard say significant action is possible from hell is Satanism.

There are some anecdotes in Orthodoxy where damned would appear to the living (mainly its to ask for prayers)

They'll effectively be the same place.

Interesting, what is the Orthodox concept of hell? It sounds very different from my own.

God is the source of every good thing any person has ever appreciate. Any time you ever appreciated anything that's good, the actual cause behind this was God all along. The reference point by which all things may be said to be better is always based on God. Lastly, anything of higher quality is still of lesser quality than God.

It's mostly viewed as state of soul of reviling God and His love, not as separate place. Sort of how sunlight melts wax and hardens clay as God's love brings joy to the saints but enrages the damned. But it's generally left to be the mystery.
As I said, these are anecdotes and are not binding or always trustworthy.

Ears have not heard and eyes have not seen what the Lord has prepared for us.
Literally nobody knows besides God himself

Sorry to disappoint you but they won't, since they have no soul.

necromancy is sinful. Dont raise dead threads…

If it is in the catalog, it is not dead.

I mean, those things are all means to an end. If the real reason we create art, love other people, study etc is to get closer to God, then Heaven as simply being in the direct presence of God is ultimately just cutting the middleman to eudaimonia.

I personally imagine we'll be chilling out with Christ and the angels and saints talking about stuff laughing with each other that is having a good time. And if your wife and kids go up there there's no reason for people not to be together once our body ressurects.

I support Ortho version of this. Everyone will be together with God, both Saints and Damned but Damned will have severe case of assburgers and will revile their existence maybe

Am
Thank you all for your input. After reading your posts and some books I have revised my view of the afterlife significantly. I no longer believe in heaven and hell as containment zones nor in soul paralysis until the resurrection. I now believe in the afterlife you still inhabit "this world" but as a pure spirit and are fully exposed to the spiritual side while still having agency in the physical side. I now believe heaven and hell are states of being in this new experience with purgatory possibly being an adaptation phase.

We create art because we love creating stuff. As simple as that

Jesus does say it would have been better for the damned never being borned.

We will be as the angels. Angels usually appear in Scripture on tasks for the Lord, in complete communion with the Lord, quite happy and talkative and in control of their personality, if this is what you're afraid of.

Revelation is a vision of events to come, you must remember, not quite a play-by-play of Heaven after the Second Coming. Even if it so, we will have eternity to chit-chat anyway.