Miaphysite Thread

I've been seeing some threads on Oriental Orthodoxy lately so I'd just though we should have a thread about it since I have experience with it.

Oriental Orthodox are Miaphysites not Monophysites. Miaphysitism teaches that Christ's hypostases (God and human essences) are mia physis (one nature) without mixture, without confusion, and without alteration but completely inseparable. This term was first used by St. Cyril of Alexandria and can be found in extensive areas of his own literature as well as in the Ecumenical Council of Ephesus of 431 A.D.

This link:

britishorthodox.org/glastonburyreview/issue-112-the-oriental-orthodox-rejection-of-chalcedon/

explains the reasons that the Oriental Orthodox reject Chalcedon which include perceived Nestorianism and perceived abuse of authority.

Rules ITT:

Attached: holy-thursday-st-thomas-indian-orthodox-church-of-philadelphia-pa-371.jpg (800x533 82.02 KB, 444.84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/anc-orient-ch-docs/rc_pc_christuni_doc_19730510_copti_en.html
w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/speeches/1984/june/documents/hf_jp-ii_spe_19840623_jp-ii-zakka-i.html
copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/liturgy_of_st_basil.pdf
trinityorthodox.ca/sites/default/files/Agreed Statements-Orthodox-Oriental Orthodox Dialogue-1989-1990.pdf
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/sub-index/index_ancient-oriental-ch.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_liturgy#Eastern_Christian_churches
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Relevant text vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/anc-orient-ch-docs/rc_pc_christuni_doc_19730510_copti_en.html
Also:
Sorry, but no

yeah and don't forget that up to a certain level we need a baseline to denote who's actually considered a christian and who isn't.

Woops didn't meant to delete that.

I don't think anyone doesn't consider Baptists and Oriental Orthodox or Assyrians to be Christians. Again that rule was to keep Non-Trinitarians out.

The meta thread should be updated and rule 3 should be along the lines of, "This is a board for Christian discussion and fellowship. For the intentions of the board, a Christian is one who believe in the orthodox definition of the Trinity, that God is three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and one being; and that Christ's divinity and humanity are united by his personhood but unmixed.

How different is the Liturgy of Oriental Orthos from Eastern Orthos? Do you still use the Liturgy of John Chrysostom or St. Basil? Or do you have your own?

w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/speeches/1984/june/documents/hf_jp-ii_spe_19840623_jp-ii-zakka-i.html

Creeds are good, for they are orthodox and authentic faith of early church.
And Chalcedonian Definition was added to Nicene Creed only because people demanded it. And they did it, because Andersonites and modern neo-Nestorians were insufferable faggots

Yes! Coptic Orthodox do use liturgy of St. Basil for Holy Qurbana.

copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/liturgy_of_st_basil.pdf

To tell the truth though I'm not really a liturgy fanatic but I am a pure theology fanatic.

The thing I love about the Coptic liturgy (and I'm pretty sure it's done in other Oriental Churches as well) is that the Coptic Orthodox Church still does the original Agape Feast every Sunday after the liturgy. It's really a spectacle. The meal is 100% free, anyone can join in including non-Orthodox though it's usually on parishioners, and the community becomes very close and tight with each other that you don't see in a lot of other Christian communities. It's very communal and a loving way to express the Orthodox faith.

Worse than mainstream prots.
Disgusting blasphemous heresy.

Hello Ahmed. I see you want to continue burning down our churches and slaughtering our people. Don't worry, Christ will overcome and the Copts are his holy martyrs.

Attached: ISIS-Beheaing-Coptic-Orthodox-Christians.jpg (622x395, 83.59K)

Hello Satan

Become Copti Catholic

You worship Satan.

OK if you say so.

Mhhhhh. No. Filioque is heresy man.

Top kek. Baptists are smarter than you.

God bless the Copts.
Reunion when?

But Miaphysitism isn't a heresy, Monophysitism is which Oriental bros do not hold to.

"We say that there is one Son, and that he has one nature even when he is considered as having assumed flesh endowed with a rational soul” (On the Unity of Christ, St. Cyril, p. 77

Cyril himself said it: "Mia physis tou theou logou sesarkomene"

Miaphysitism is an off shot of monophysitism. You guys claim the two nature's of christ are united in one nature "physis". One nature see?
While the orthodox teaching of the Roman Catholic Church and of our Eastern bros say that there are two nature's in Christ through an hypostasis. The two natures don't become one physis. That's heresy.

Yes one nature in principle.

St. Cyril gives this analogy:

Humans have one nature, but in truth we are really two, soul and body. When body and soul are joined together we say that they are one nature. Likewise, though indeed Christ is divine and human, and these are fully distinct never mixing or confusing, when they are united in the incarnation we say that this is one nature (mia physis).

And?
Btw the Saints are not infallible. All you say it that St. Cyril said something. St. Cyril wasn't inspired by the Holy spirit nor he was infallible and he would be the first one to tell you that. And if the council was made in his lifetime he would accept it like every good Christian.

Are you really this ignorant? This is a part of the core of Cyril's theology. It's also used in the Council of Ephesus which is an infallible ecumenical council.

Do you not see that we are saying the same things as you are? We confess the same doctrine but we express it in different ways. I am not disagreeing with you at all nor are you with me.

You're basically also calling St. Cyril a heretic. You're calling one of the most important Church Fathers a heretic. But once again, he was in full agreement with you and with me, it's just a different expression of the doctrine.

Hmmm

Attached: thats-not-an-argument-3737029.png (500x365, 72.53K)

Also, here are some joint statements of faith:

trinityorthodox.ca/sites/default/files/Agreed Statements-Orthodox-Oriental Orthodox Dialogue-1989-1990.pdf

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/sub-index/index_ancient-oriental-ch.htm

We also have a friendly joint statement with prots, which is meaningless. It's not even part of the ordinary magisterium. Same applies for the orthodoxes I believe.
It's all part of the ecumenical effort. Trying to show what we have in common and convert the other party.

That's means orientals are schismatic

There are different liturgies for each church.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_liturgy#Eastern_Christian_churches

Keeping an umbrella open inside is considered bad luck where I live.
And we're an overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox country

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (625x423, 74.47K)

I've heard of this superstition here in America.

Same in Italy