Real Christians know Hebrew, Syriac, and Greek

Real Christians know Hebrew, Syriac, and Greek.

Attached: hqdefault (2)

Attached: 78c.png (832x968, 419.65K)

I'm in the process of learning Syriac. As a Maronite, it has been the language of my ancestors for 200 years. It is the same language Christ spoke. We have it in some parts of our liturgy. It is truly a beautiful language.

He spoke Palestinian Aramaic. Western Neo-Aramaic such as the Maaloula dialect is the closest living language. On the other hand eastern Syriac varieties appear to preserve the most conservative phonology.
This isn't to say that there isn't a lot one could discover about the subtleties and specifics of meaning in Jesus' possible original words through the study of Syriac translations of the gospels.

Jesus spoke Latin so why not just learn that then you're a ok?

t. brainlet falseflagger

real christians are saved

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (433x363, 343.24K)

Μάλιστα

Real Christians speak all tongues due to gift of the Spirit :^)

Language thread. Anyone actually studying anything? Been studying koine at a slow pace.

I get that you're trying to be funny, but be careful there - Paul wrote quite a bit on Christians claiming what made them "real Christians" better than others because they got the higher visibility gifts like speaking in tongues or prophecy. This kind of thing breeds infighting. Every Christian should accept that not every other Christian plays the same role in the Kingdom, and be grateful for even the seemingly lowliest Christians whose gift might just be that they're really good at scrubbing toilets (it's nice having clean toilets you can feel safe sitting on, isn't it?). Take nothing for granted, dear brothers.

Real Christians aren't obsessed with original languages, because even a casual read of even the English NIV tells us what Christ wanted us to know and do.
Real Christians know the Lord, listen to what He says and do what He told us to do.

Pfft. We all know what language Jesus actually spoke. If it's good enough for God, it's good enough for me.

Attached: KJV-web.jpg (640x480, 34.58K)

Same here, its hard to get motivated to study.

You can't read the Bible for real if you don't know it's original languages.

You don’t need to fully read it, just fully understand stand and follow it. If you feel the need to learn an archaic language so you can get a better understanding of the Lord, then do so. However don’t let it turn into pride and start telling Christians they aren’t true Christians if they can’t read in a language more than two millennium.

Lmao and you guys call yourselves humans?

Attached: YfUipVt9Qi.png (360x361, 70.42K)

It's Adám and Hawwáh not Adám and Sidiqiyyáh.

OK well I know the Hebrew alphabet and am picking up various Hebrew and Greek words just by being anal about checking Strong's in my Hebrew/Greek ESV Study Bible.

I would've thought that Jesus spoke Hebrew given he was a Jew, preached at the temple where they definitely spoke Hebrew, chatted with Rabbis as a kid who definitely spoke Hebrew and makes claims that only make sense when you take them back into Hebrew like:

"Before Moses was, I Am"

Which refers back to how God introduces himself to Moses at the burning bush by saying:

AHYH ASR AHYH
Ehieh Ahser Eheih
I AM THAT I AM

Then proceeds to, for the first time, name Himself as YHVH.

All these times Jesus says "I Am" it is very specifically announcing to those that know their OT scripture that he is the pre-existent Son of the Most High, the Logos or Word of God.

I suppose historically/archaelogically there's evidence of them being bilingual or trilingual in this area?

Real Christians know the whole of the Vulgate by heart.

"Before Abraham was, I Am."
Fixed for you user

Oof. Long day. Thanks… I was conflating the reference to Burning Bush. 🤣

Also on diff device, ignore ID.

I learned Latin in school, and I'm currently teaching myself Hebrew and Greek. I would like to learn Syriac at some point. I have some questions about it though:

1. Is Syriac synonymous with Aramaic?
2. Is it also the same as 'Chaldean' or 'Assyrian' that you might sometimes read that theologians in the past studied?
3. I have heard that Aramaic is similar to Hebrew as they both belong to the same family of languages. How similar are they?

Attached: 06943c658ddc144f5d234699747d2c002e0dde77c793964fba017a3c7d51ea3e.png (760x587, 359.82K)

Tell 'em Francis!

I'm part of a Bible study Discord. In there there's a room for Greek learning in which I talk to another man who is learning. Having another people to talk to might motivate you (it motivates me)

I'm not an expert so if someone contradicts me go with their answer but from what I understand there are several dialects and Syriac is split into East and West Syriac. West is Palestine, Lebanon, and Syria (Used in Maronite liturgies), and East is Babylon (Chaldea) and Assyria. When it comes to ancient writers mentioning them, I don't know if "Chaldean" or "Assyrian" refers to the Syriac languages or older tongues of those people before Christianity. As one user said earlier Jesus spoke a particular dialect of Aramaic, and I believe Aramaic is a subdialect of Syriac, though I don't know whether its closer to East or West or what the divisions between the dialects were in the time of Jesus. Syriac is mostly liturgical today and I don't think is spoken much as a vernacular outside a few small villages in the middle east like the above mentioned Maloula. I don't have any personal experience with the languages so I can't say how similar they are. I haven't verified these infographics either they're just interesting ones I've picked over the years.

Attached: 2000px-Semitic_languages.svg.png (672x652 63.47 KB, 56.27K)

Syriac is a dialect of Aramaic. It originated in Syria in the 1st century A.D.

Chaldean and Assyrian are both dialects of Aramaic as well, although they're both much more recent dialects than Syriac. Both dialects are extremely similar and did indeed take some influence from the Syriac dialect.

Yes, Hebrew and Aramaic are Semitic languages so they are very much related. Hebrew is considered a Canaanite Semitic language whereas Aramaic originated in the region of Syria. Aramaic did have heavy influence on Biblical Hebrew and this is because of contact with the Assyrians and the later Persians who adopted it as a lingua franca in their Empire. Hebrew even dropped it's original Phonecian script in favor of the original "blocky" Aramaic script and today Hebrew still uses the original Aramaic script and the current Syriac script that Aramaic now uses was just an variation of the original Aramaic script that originated in 1st century A.D. Syria. There are a host of other Semitic languages including Arabic, Maltese, Ge'ez, Amharic, and others all related to Hebrew and Aramaic.

Been studying Latin. Need help getting motivated