World’s first solid-state aircraft used ‘ionic wind’ to fly

The first ever “solid state” plane, with no moving parts in its propulsion system, has successfully flown for a distance of 60 metres, proving that heavier-than-air flight is possible without jets or propellers.

The flight represents a breakthrough in “ionic wind” technology, which uses a powerful electric field to generate charged nitrogen ions, which are then expelled from the back of the aircraft, generating thrust.

Potential applications in the short term include unmanned drones, where silent flight may be beneficial, and high-altitude solar-powered flight, where the lack of moving parts could allow such a plane to soar for years on end, acting as a pseudo-satellite.

In the prototype plane, wires at the leading edge of the wing have 600 watts of electrical power pumped through them at 40,000 volts. This is enough to induce “electron cascades”, ultimately charging air molecules near the wire. Those charged molecules then flow along the electrical field towards a second wire at the back of the wing, bumping into neutral air molecules on the way, and imparting energy to them. Those neutral air molecules then stream out of the back of the plane, providing thrust.

The end result is a propulsion system that is entirely electrically powered, almost silent, and with a thrust-to-power ratio comparable to that achieved by conventional systems such as jet engines.

Prof Guy Gratton, an aerospace engineer and visiting professor at Cranfield University, said: “It’s clearly very early days: but the team at MIT have done something we never previously knew was possible in using accelerated ionised gas to propel an aircraft. Aeronautical engineers around the world are already trying hard to find ways to use electric propulsion, and this technology will offer something else that in the future may allow manned and unmanned aircraft to be more efficient, and non-polluting.

archive.is/PsBnU

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/r9k/thread/28984449/hey-fellas-im-in-a-lil-spot-of-trouble-who-wants
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: 2550.png (620x372, 77.05K)

How to Make/Build a Lifter or Ionocraft

Fascinating, someday even engines will be "solid state"

but how do I build the DC power supply

WOW, so exiting…I cannot wait until they corrupt it into military use to slaughter civilians and destroy nature. Science is so cool and productive these days…

Fuck off, hippie.

Attached: Capture.JPG (724x561, 66.15K)

Probably the first farming equipment made was also instantly used as improvised weaponry.
I don't understand you faggots way of thinking. You are here alive today because one of your ancestors at some point bashed the head in of someone else not the other way around. Warfare is part of human biology in it's most barest form, to say otherwise is a one way street to extinction you soy filled bitch.

Attached: joa0202-0165-f3.jpg (624x433, 113.85K)

This is how the b2 bomber works, it's edges are electrified. All "advanced" aircraft have been capable of infinite flight, multiple Mach xxxx speeds, and incredibly maneuverable because there is no air around them when the field is running

Lol it certainly looks high tech

Attached: First_flight2_1.gif (1024x576, 4.99M)

Most likely a vagina poster.

The coincidental irony is too much.

tell darpa you want to keep their drones up forever, that will get you funding

The schematics are highly sophisticated and confusing

Attached: 300px-Paper_Airplane.png (300x315, 13.27K)

FASCINATING HINT BY NEPTUNE:

they've had solar powered (and other types of) unmanned surveillance aircraft that fly autonomously nonstop, around the clock, for years already…..

And I'm not just talking about 'drones', even though technically speaking, any pilotless aircraft would be considered a drone

It looks almost as intimidating as a box of matches made out of a screen door

Sounds great…….

Now if they could just overcome the 16 ounce cargo weight limit to achieve flight

You're correct……

But you still managed to get it backwards

Almost all technology (like the microwave oven, for example) is first developed for the scientific advancement, but then is AUTOMATICALLY taken by the military to gauge any and all weaponry applications.

Usually, only after the military has thoroughly vetted it, does it get handed out to the consumer

This amazing balsa wood and fishing line contraption was developed by MIT student Orville Wrong.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE SOMETHING
THAT YOU DIDNT SOURCE FROM
THE TURDWATER

Attached: 1040656_678178625546527_1958418558_o.jpg (1074x1074, 53.71K)

WORLD'S FIRST SOLID…. STA….. ZZZzzzz…. ZZZzzzz zzz…. ZZZzzzz….

wake me up when this becomes interesting

Attached: IMG_20181122_081554.jpg (1079x1673, 291.92K)

It took 40,000 volts to make something that weighs less than a used condom fly 60 meters?

MIT needs to invent a stockboy position at Walmart for the 'genius' that wasted time and money on this stupid idea

Since your thread is so yawn inducing, this would probably be a good time to remind you that THERE'S NEVER GOING TO BE A 'WALL' BUILT, and that the Dept of Defense has announced that they are going to immediately begin pulling troops from the border.

Also, this would be a nice time to rub something else in your face:

The 'caravan invasion' is going to be allowed to enter our border…

Oh, yeah… I almost forgot….

Trump's administration never mentioned that when Trump requested that the troops be allowed to use Force to protect the border, THE PENTAGON TOLD HIM TO FUCK OFF !!!

the Pentagon said unequivocally NO, that our constitution does not allow our troops to be used as 'law enforcement'

In other words, for Christmas, you're going to get a nifty gift:
THOUSANDS OF ILLEGAL HISPANICS CROSSING THE BORDER, UNFETTERED….

because trump is a powerless fool

Happy Holidays, douchebag

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN……

right ?…………….
hahahahahahahaha

Fuck This Plane Story

Trump is a GEOPOLITICAL GENIUS

I honestly doubt he can even SPELL the word 'wall'

LET THIS SINK IN……

THERE'S NEVER GOING TO BE A 'WALL'

He's ILLITERATE, which is an important quality for a president

buy a battery

Fuck off shill. Everything always ends up being misused in this crazy world. You sicken me to try to shut up someone who tells the truth.

I love how all these shills showed up to bash this guy and try to intentionally misunderstand their point and scream "HIPPIE!"

this whole thread is full of shills

Attached: IMG_20181122_090414.jpg (1077x1536, 377K)

Attached: IMG_20181122_090447.jpg (1079x1665, 352.48K)

AGAIN: THERE'S NEVER GOING TO BE A 'WALL'

Attached: IMG_20181122_090436.jpg (1079x1410, 260.08K)

HINT: only one person commented about the 'hippie'

HINT NUMBER TWO: overusing the word 'shill' proves what a trendy little unoriginal bitch you are

THE TWO THINGS I HATE:

-STUPIDITY

-UNORIGINALITY

congratulations

shill this, shill that, shill, shill, shill

BORING AS FUCK

Normie this, Chad that, Stacy this, Roastie that, Kike this, Shill that…..

L E M M I N G

I've had the unenviable luxury of witnessing the downward spiral of the education system and collective IQ of the human race for decades now….

That's why I admire YOU GUYS

BECAUSE YOU ARE HIGHLY INTELLIGENT compared to the average person…..

SO WHY DO ALL OF YOU ACT LIKE PARROTS, REPEATING THE EXACT SAME TRENDY CATCHPHRASES, OVER AND OVER AND OVER?

you all seem TERRIFIED that you won't 'fit in'

The general scientific community is just discovering this.
Area 51 tech has built the B2 bomber using this yrs ago

This is how (((they))) got to our planet, only using a more advanced version

No. my cave ancestor was a peaceful zen type troglodyte.

When the agressor came with his club to the peaceful village, he stepped in my greatx20grandads defensive hole and was impaled on spikes,

Acts of agression will get you spiked, bitch, you come around my back door
May I remember my true purpose, to forgive, to love, and to bless, in this and every moment.

May I be a clear conduit for blessings for myself and others

May I be blessed in this moment with Mindfulness and Gratitude

May the spaces I enter and leave be more blessed than when I found them

May I bless instead of judge others

May I bless myself whenever I begin to think a negative thought about myself

May I remember my purpose–to forgive, to love, and to bless

we ARE 'them'

and they wrapped time and space around behind them, and 'brought us to them' instead of bringing themselves to us.

But yeah ……

We ARE them

i thought aggression had 1 g, since I'm unfamiliar with the word

Johnny and Wendy Neptune Wish You ALL Happy Holidays

you diggressed like a niger

No, I am one of the (((others))) and We will supplant you

fuck off you body waste displaying piece of white trash

choke on a turkey bone and let a chile in africa get your supply of food

At least it's saffer than the new 5G agggggression

LOL @ CHILE

nice work, Einstein

…….and we're vegetarians, bitch……

Jailhouse sausages and well used roastie beef don't make you a vegetarian, Andy

I seriously don't doubt you're one of the 'others'…….

Because the 'others' are the primates that WE genentically mutated with OUR DNA to create the human race

monkeyboy

Can ..can this be applied to cars and other things??????????

t.tree fucker

PROOF THAT YOURE AN AMATEUR:

you don't even realize that one of the first things they do in jail and prison is to 'grid' you and categorize your diet, mainly for religious purposes…..

LOTS OF US GOT A SPECIAL VEGETARIAN DIET, YOU IDIOT !!!

(and since they give you twice as much food with the vegetarian diets, the smarter carnivores would request veggie diets, just to get more food)

You wouldn't last 5 minutes

It's obviously been applied to OP's neurosynaptic ganglia, because he almost appears capable of thought….

almost

You are a primitive sack of shit and blood, dna creature.

(((We))) manufacture a new one of ourselves in the rare occurance that one of us is accidentally terminated.

If The consciousness of the accidentally terminated one has been backed up(always is),it is transferred into the new (((body)))

Jailhouse sausages = cock
You senile old cock sucker

CONGRATULATIONS on the 'refusing to take the atypical antipsychotics you had prescribed' accomplishment……

u bean Andy Kaufmanned, andy

Jail house weenies and your ho's well used roastie beef

And dna
You gonna have to do better, or it won't be fun Pwning yo no mor

AGAIN: because you're an amateur, the only things you know about jail or prison (or girls or life in general) is what you've gleaned while sitting in front of a monitor or a TV set

AGAIN, AGAIN: no real life experience with women, or socializing, or real life….

Hence your vocabulary, which consists of nothing but predictable cliches, trendy terminologies, and parroted imageboard catchphrases

Speaking of which: how's that latest video game going?

I bet you're a 'military expert' now, huh?

Now I gotta go
I've been eating mints with Isomalt, a sugar substitute, that cause diarreha, diahhhreha, the shits if you eat to many and I ate too many

I took a picture of an earlier dump and included it

Unlike you, I spoiled it,But since your a freak into bodily fluids, I'm sure you will open it

Eat yor veggies!

Attached: for andy.jpg (1280x720, 78.72K)

you're SO EFFEMINATE

virgins and video games

jeezus

areeba deershay

Not joking at all….

I always know it's you
BECAUSE YOURE SO EFFEMINATE

you're exactly like a bitter divorced chain-smoking middle aged woman

No shit

That's EXACTLY what you're like…..

You remind me of a lot of my friend's divorced old mothers….

You're THE FARTHEST THING from 'masculine' I've ever seen

You got everything right but the smoking
Quit 12 yrs ago

Decided to toy with you for 10 mor min

YOU ?……

I never said you're a virgin

I just said you never fuck FEMALES

you're an OBVIOUS homosexual

so you replaced one neurotic addiction with another?

Hold on
Aren't you the same age as your friend's divorced old mothers….and you smoke?

And you like jailhouse salamis.

Are you projecting, Andy?

……and if you tell me that you don't play video games, you'd be insincere…..

LOL you don't pay attention very well for someone who's obsessed with me, huh?

wow

Attached: IMG_20181122_101624.jpg (3456x4608, 2.8M)

Yea, I spend hrs trolling, trying to get the beast of others.

But when I run into someone of superior intellect, I keep repeating the same insults that worked on the inferior.

1Games
2Virgins
3Fags

You are a 1000 watt projector Andy.

That won't help.

Risk of lung cancer stays for a long time after quitting.

chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), can improve.

The big C, Andy.

Got a tickle in your lung, me lad?

/killcen/ can help

Try his /prep/ board

Take a dildo, prep it well with the requisite herbs and insert.

Should be easy for you

10 mins is up
shit coming on again

It's not exactly a 'folder' but I've found a storage unit for your posts

Attached: IMG_20181122_102422.jpg (3456x4608, 2.24M)

ADMITTED HOMOSEXUAL

CHRONIC DIARRHEA

(Google AIDS)

Try This, Mr. Kaposi's Sarcoma

Attached: IMG_20181122_102514.jpg (4608x3456, 2.52M)

Nigger, they've had this shit since the 80s.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

IONIC PROPULSION WAS DEVELOPED AT S4 (area 51 is just a grid number, while the actual R&D proving grounds are called S4) decades ago

This story is BOOOOUHSHIT

back from my shit, Andy

Obsessed???

wholly fucking hypocrisy

Andy gets a taste of his own medicine and the bitch whines.

I just like trolling you, because, unlike you, Idont go after the low hanging fruit.i.e:Millennials holding on to mommy's apron strings

I go after scum.

Trash
Garbage

This site attracts the likes of you.

You mocked that poor ratworm brain infested guy

And you tried doxing me

scum

yes it's me

Attached: 8ch newsplus.jpg (1728x1080, 350.29K)

Regardless……. Here I go…….

The most common of the opportunistic infections that cause diarrhea in patients with AIDS are CMV infection, cryptosporidiosis, microsporidiosis, and MAC infection. CMV infection is the most common opportunistic viral infection in the GI tract of HIV-infected patients and can cause problems from the mouth to the anus.

I am space after comma
and I will get you scum

yor zzzzzzzzzzz boring top album cover was shit

really
it was full of shit

Attached: andy zz top turd.JPG (409x543, 54.72K)

Happy Tossed salad

vegetarian

Attached: commafterspace.png (460x345, 375.02K)

LOL talking about the mouth breathing wheelchair slug parasite blood-brain barrier punching bag that died recently??

Hahahaha !!!

That was some of my finest work… I would literally pay money right now if somebody could supply me with the two short webm videos I made of that piece of shit paperweight, wishing the people dancing behind him, and the other featuring two girls bouncing on a trampoline…..

Somehow, I inadvertently deleted them

Attached: monty laughs.jpg (1920x1080, 770.09K)

lol @ you thinking THAT was one of the 'album covers'…..

That's like showing a photograph of a tangerine, and suggesting that my eggplant parmesan was undercooked.

I'm curious… Have you EVER successfully accomplished any of your goals no matter how small?

The three main reasons mommy python suck so bad:

1: all British men are gay
2: they weren't even vaguely funny
3: see number 1

Ansy's been andy kauffmanned again

The joy of Pwning this lolcow is giving me an
ERECTION

Thank you andy

I was just messin' with you

no bad intent meant

Andy kauffmanned you again,,, bitch

gone 4 good

Attached: monty laughs.jpg (1920x1080, 770.09K)

Monty Python never were funny, and never will be funny… They were the most boring worthless stupid attempt at humor I've ever seen… The holy Grail was a piece of shit, and everything any of them have ever made since then was even worse…..

why is it that all British men are born genetically homosexual?

it doesn't matter if they're married to a woman and have children, because they're still homosexuals… They are disgustingly effeminate limp wristed lisping sissies…..

ALL OF THEM

I challenge you to name one masculine Brit, other than the queen..

(And I mean the real queen, not your kind of queen)

The internets never 4gets Andy

Attached: Capture.JPG (1327x240, 66.89K)

4archive.org/board/r9k/thread/28984449/hey-fellas-im-in-a-lil-spot-of-trouble-who-wants

YOU BEEN Pwned, i say boy,
PWNED

Attached: ANDY PWNED.PNG (480x360, 287.47K)

SEE ?!!!………

That's exactly what I'm talking about when I said you have never successfully accomplished ANY of your goals, no matter how small ?…..

Because that's stupid screenshot is absolutely true… Every single word of it is true… Exactly what about your stupid screenshot makes you think I claimed that particular illustration was one of the album covers?

Apples usually don't fall very far from the tree, as they say….

So I'm imagining your father was probably also a complete failure? Was he also an effeminate, spineless, neurotic, bitter imitation of a divorced woman, who could never get ANYTHING right?….

Where did it come from your mother's side?

Andy, just put your tail between your legs and get out.

Try another thread.

It's sad watching what this guy is doing to you.

I mean, you're an asshole, but this shouldn't happen to anyone, not even Trump