Foreign Hackers Cripple US Newspaper Machines, Cause Widespread Delivery Disruptions

Foreign hackers infiltrated computer systems shared by several major US newspapers, "crippling" newspaper production and delivery systems across the country on Saturday, according to the Los Angeles Times, citing a source with knowledge of the situation.

The attacks, which began alte Thursday night, appear "to have originated from outside the United States," according to the Times, and resulted in distribution delays in the Saturday edition of The Times, the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun and several other major newspapers which share the same production platform.

West coast editions of the Wall Street Journal and New York Times were also affected, as they are all printed at the LA Times' Olympic printing plant in downtown Los Angeles.

The hackers were able to disable several crucial software systems which store news stories, photographs and administrative information - which complicated efforts to make the physical plates used to print the papers at The Times' downtown plant.

"We believe the intention of the attack was to disable infrastructure, more specifically servers, as opposed to looking to steal information," according to the source who wishes to remain anonymous.

All papers within The Times’ former parent company, Tribune Publishing, experienced glitches with the production of papers. Tribune Publishing sold The Times and the San Diego Union-Tribune to Los Angeles businessman Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong in June, but the companies continue to share various systems, including software.

“Every market across the company was impacted,” said Marisa Kollias, spokeswoman for Tribune Publishing. She declined to provide specifics on the disruptions, but the company properties include the Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun, Annapolis Capital-Gazette, Hartford Courant, New York Daily News, Orlando Sentinel and Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel.

Tribune Publishing said in a statement Saturday that “the personal data of our subscribers, online users, and advertising clients has not been compromised. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank our readers and advertising partners for their patience as we investigate the situation. News and all of our regular features are available online.” -LA Times

"We are trying to do work-arounds so we can get pages out. It’s all in production. We need the plates to start the presses. That’s the bottleneck," said Director of Distribution, Joe Robidoux.

archive.fo/35DLt
zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-29/foreign-hackers-cripple-us-newspapers-cause-widespread-disruptions-delivery

Attached: Foreign Hackers Cripple US Newspaper Machines, Cause Widespread Delivery Disruptions.jpg (863x849, 61.62K)

'NEWSPAPER MACHINES'

you fucking idiot, you

fucker. y do u post mainstream media?? dumbfuck!!! post something that is inaccessible otherwise. puta_madre

"Foreign"

as in they used the internet and are not retarded? so they used something like tor and VPN

no source
so basally they made it up

not even him, but youre offbase

Zig Forums indeed should be place for hard to find news

but it's NOT… it never has been…
the reason?…. simple:

the idiotic requirement of pasting a URL to an existing source article

that idiotic requirement is a formula for one of two things: either a pre-existing mainstream media article, or a pre-existing bullshit 'fringe' (unreliable) article….

this stupid prerequisite ensures that EVERY THREAD in Zig Forums is old news, that can be found all over the internet.

Zig Forums is nothing more than copy & paste BULLSHIT

by the way, Zig Forums is exactly the same, except they simply copy and paste from The Turdwater, which is one of those alternative 'fringe' nonsense unreliable sources I was just talking about.

Kek, get fucked. Though, it's not like anyone reads the papers anymore anyway.

I R O N I C

you managed to copy and paste his stupid as shit boring article….

But when it was time to develop a 'headline' n your own words, you were SO stupid that you invented the term 'newspaper machine'…

a NEWSPAPER MACHINE, huh?

I want to take you seriously as a voice of knowledge when it comes to what Zig Forums should be about. But that spacing, though - it makes me believe you're not from around here.

Israel

But Zig Forums is real news.
It is, after all, linked to The Goldwater, which is well known as one of the most reputable news organizations in the world.

Attached: The TurdWater.jpg (800x450, 122.63K)

This is true.

Attached: The.TurdWater.jpg (800x450, 116.09K)

Why do I live in a dystopia? I did everything I could to make the world a better place through advertising behavioral modification protocols.

You should have gone to college and got a degree in newspaper machine operation

I can't strip to pay for that, so it was never really an option. If I ever rise to any height, it will be strictly what a stripper is capable of and no more.

"No" is an answer

i wasn't asking

i said GO TO COLLEGE
and learn how to operate
one of these gizmos

Attached: PicsArt_12-30-02.53.26.jpg (592x444, 77.66K)

Seems like Johnny.

AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST

This

Attached: THIS THIS THIS AND THIS.png (189x267, 7.82K)

Have you ever noticed how the kikes spend their lives smearing others? They're the most hated and despised creatures in the world, yet they smear the names of those better than them.

It was all me, the 1337 H4XXX0R; What you gonna do mr CIA.

Actual reporting and shit is hard, doubly so when you're just some asshole in the internet. I'm pretty sure anyone who isn't a tinfoil conspiracy theorist has already wormed their way into some form of journalism or reporting and gotten sincerely disheartened at what they one saw as their dream but now realize is just a delusion, and the ones that are tinfoilers just make shit up anyhow. I really doubt that random people on the internet are going out under the guise of fake internet news agencies to get the scoop on news stories, and odds are most of those will just be local crime stories or cutesy filler bullshit they have on live TV anyhow. The best we're ever gonna get is this aggregate newsfeed; you wanna make a news board where you just make shit up go right ahead. As a side note, there's /newswire/ which is more of the same shit, but if you wanna start doing hotshot local reporting of your own, chase that fuckin' wish dragon and leave us some posts of your valiant efforts.

say it with me OP
The DNC emails were leaked
there was no hack

AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST

nicely done

no risk there to find such a thing in a US newspaper

Sounds like Chinese then?
If they were muh Russian they would have made a big song and dance about that.

Very true.

It could have been anyone. The OP (which I posted) was intended to trigger all the leftist fags here, and I just assumed it did just that.

I've been creative and altered the articles occasionally

Reddit r/new copy/pastes big time

I go there for the upvoted comments

sometimes knowledgeable comment about the article in question

Sometimes

I post articles on Zig Forums so I can insult those I deem to be inferior

Cyber attack and disrupt:
TV
Radio
Internet
Telephone
eLECTRIcal supply

Invade

I knew it was a conservative

Newspaper Machines

Only a conservative could be this stupid

I've met some very stupid liberals TBH, but conservatives out number them 2:1

Newspaper Machines DO exist and they DO rely on computers to operate!

Attached: NEWSPAPER MACHINES.jpg (1372x909, 143.69K)

Newsflash: newspaper machines were updated in the early 1980s to operate via computer systems making them vulnerable to viruses / hacking. It is 100% possible for any state actors to sabotage these systems remotely unless they are air-gapped (and most likely today they are not air-gapped!)

Yes, and it was the computer software that oversees all the operations that was cyberattacked

Yes, so in reality OP was correct when saying the newspaper machines were crippled by these cyberattacks! As long as they rely on modern digital software/computers they will remain vulnerable.

By the way, when they first rolled out the new computer systems to manage and operate these machines in the early 80s they were at least air-gapped (had no internet connected) so they were not nearly as vulnerable as they are today. Nowdays most operating systems are botnets that routinely communicate via internet servers. This is what is making everything so vulnerable to hacking today. I've suggested the US military bring back true OPSEC (old air-gapped computers) to store sensitive info as well as for managing operations but they don't seem to enthused about it! Maybe they'll start to listen to me? Who knows.

OK OP, I'll grant you that the term,"newspaper machines were crippled" was applicable in this instance.

But geeze, Andy's trolling above got to you?

I was teaseing a little(not being a huge asshole like Andy), but let that ego go.

Andy sees himself as a loser
He follows a guy around named Phil(KuntsKrieg?) affiliated with Mr Watkins and the goldwater and Zig Forums.

I couldn't figure out why Andy would waste so much of his time trolling this guy.

I've interacted with him several times on 8ch.
Then it hit me.

Andy lives in Macon county Georgia

Born there and will die there.
Probably hasn't been very far away from Macon County his entire life.

He brags about his sexcapdes, drug use, shitty art, etc.

The signs of someone with low self esteem.

He sees a guy like this Phil, who left a similar environment(rural Tennessee) and went to a completely different culture(Philipines) and had adventures over there.

He trolls Phil because he's envious.

He will deny it, because he seems to a person with very little personal insight(hence his kitsch'art')

sac…that's me

I think you've got it right about this Neptune guy, user

He should be pitied

Yea, I troll people on the internet, But I don't stalk them.
Too fucking creepy

hey johnny can I ask you two question? how old are you and since when have you been using 8ch?