THE EU SEEKS TO DESTROY THE INTERNET

THE EU SEEKS TO DESTROY THE INTERNET

archive.fo/Y6icl
eff.org/deeplinks/2019/02/final-version-eus-copyright-directive-worst-one-yet
saveyourinternet.eu/

Despite ringing denunciations from small EU tech businesses, giant EU entertainment companies, artists' groups, technical experts, and human rights experts, and the largest body of concerned citizens in EU history, the EU has concluded its "trilogues" on the new Copyright Directive, striking a deal that—amazingly—is worse than any in the Directive's sordid history.

The Copyright Directive was always a grab bag of updates to EU copyright rules—which are long overdue for an overhaul, given that it's been 18 years since the last set of rules were ratified. Some of its clauses gave artists and scientists much-needed protections: artists were to be protected from the worst ripoffs by entertainment companies, and scientists could use copyrighted works as raw material for various kinds of data analysis and scholarship.

Both of these clauses have now been gutted to the point of uselessness, leaving the giant entertainment companies with unchecked power to exploit creators and arbitrarily hold back scientific research.

Having dispensed with some of the most positive versions of the Directive, the trilogues have also managed to make the (unbelievably dreadful) bad components of the Directive even worse.

Under the final text, any online community, platform or service that has existed for three or more years, or is making €10,000,001/year or more, is responsible for ensuring that no user ever posts anything that infringes copyright, even momentarily. This is impossible, and the closest any service can come to it is spending hundreds of millions of euros to develop automated copyright filters. Those filters will subject all communications of every European to interception and arbitrary censorship if a black-box algorithm decides their text, pictures, sounds or videos are a match for a known copyrighted work. They are a gift to fraudsters and criminals, to say nothing of censors, both government and private.

These filters are unaffordable by all but the largest tech companies, all based in the USA, and the only way Europe's homegrown tech sector can avoid the obligation to deploy them is to stay under ten million euros per year in revenue, and also shut down after three years.

America's Big Tech companies would certainly love to install these filters, the possibility of being able to grow unchecked, without having to contend with European competitors, is a pretty good second prize (which is why some of the biggest US tech companies have secretly lobbied for filters).

YES. BIG TECH IS RUINING THE INTERNET.

Amazingly, the tiny, useless exceptions in Article 13 are too generous for the entertainment industry lobby, and so politicians have given them a gift to ease the pain: under the final text, every online community, service or platform is required to make "best efforts" to license anything their users might conceivably upload, meaning that they have to buy virtually anything any copyright holder offers to sell them, at any price, on pain of being liable for infringement if a user later uploads that work.

Attached: THE EU SEEKS TO DESTROY THE INTERNET.png (1200x600, 16.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

saveyourinternet.eu/
archive.fo/Y6icl
geti2p.net/en/
torproject.org/
freenetproject.org/
beakerbrowser.com/
ipfs.io/
orion.siderus.io/
github.com/ipfs-shipyard/ipfs-desktop
zeronet.io/
tribler.org/
soulseekqt.net/news/node/1
ares.com/
sourceforge.net/projects/aresgalaxy/
fopnu.com/
retroshare.cc/
openbazaar.org/features/
tox.chat/
supersimpleserver.com
sourceforge.net/projects/qbittorrent/
tixati.com/
sourceforge.net/projects/quazaa/
sourceforge.net/projects/anomos/
gnunet.org/en/
torrentfreak.com/how-to-use-usenet/
archive.fo/e1HXH
ipfs.io/ipns/boards.ydns.eu/#/
datproject.org/
github.com/gdamdam/awesome-decentralized-web
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CENSORING NEWS!

Article 11, which allows news sites to decide who can link to their stories and charge for permission to do so, has also been worsened. The final text clarifies that any link that contains more than "single words or very short extracts" from a news story must be licensed, with no exceptions for noncommercial users, nonprofit projects, or even personal websites with ads or other income sources, no matter how small.

TIME TO THROW THE PIGS OUT!?

Now that the Directive has emerged from the Trilogue, it will head to the European Parliament for a vote for the whole body, either during the March 25-28 session or the April 15-18 session—with elections scheduled in May.

These elections are critical: the Members of the European Parliament are going to be fighting an election right after voting on this Directive, which is already the most unpopular legislative effort in European history, and that's before the public gets wind of these latest changes.

Let's get real: no EU political party will be able to campaign for votes on the strength of passing the Copyright Directive—but plenty of parties will be able to drum up support to throw out the parties that defied the will of voters and risked the destruction of the Internet as we know it to pour a few million Euros into the coffers of media companies and newspaper proprietors—after those companies told them not to.

saveyourinternet.eu/

archive.fo/Y6icl

OK, so we will have to go back to sharing files via P2P and other methods. I'm sure this is going to breed a whole new Renaissance of decentralized communications that cannot be easily controlled. Can't wait for a P2P web, with darkweb news sites on bittorrent or IPFS or blockchain platforms, which will take whole copies of original news sites and splatter the text onto their own.

And I'll also be doing it here too, because I don't give a fuck about their laws. Hell, I don't even care about US laws either.

For our sake, i hope they succeed….

at least in destroying YOUR connection

nobody ever limited access to their own propaganda.

They won't because I live in America. Plus I don't care about their stupid laws anyway, I'll copy/paste/rip/convert/mirror/pirate any damn thing I fucking please…. but third of all, if they make it hell for me they'd be making it hell for EVERYONE ELSE too. So be careful what you wish for.

I'll tell you whats gonna happen, people will just ignore these stupid laws, more will use VPNs among other things like Tor, and they'll keep doing what they always do. And the EU is going to bitch about it, and the companies will bitch too, but they'll get over it because they won't be able to stop it without mass Chinese-style blockades.

fuckit, I know how this sounds but you'd figure the EU could understand multiculturalism

Streaming has killed a culture that didn't have to be seen as such a problem. To some degree, this creates more criminals, not less and ends any kind of spirit of a culture that didn't have to necessarily be seen as an enemy.

Fucking shame like always, it's not like Netflix even cares about really running a legitimate profit. What the fuck is wrong with these people ?

WAIT PEOPLE WHO DO SHITTY THINGS TO GET POWER WANT TO DO MORE SHITTY THINGS TO GET MORE POWER????

What this would mean is a lot of Europeans would have to adopt P2P platforms to share stuff (think Soulseek/Retroshare/Tribler/Onionshare/eMule etc), perhaps including decentralized web browsing platforms (think Tor/Beaker/Blockstack/Zeronet etc) to host "banned" content so others can view it.

The only good thing I see coming from this is it will piss people the fuck off, and force people to adopt alternatives that will be much harder for governments to control or regulate (maybe with hope, development of NEW decentralized technologies/protocols similar to bit torrent or IPFS).

oh boy, you're gonna love the future

Well if they ruin the world wide web I'll be on P2P networks and use decentralized anonymous platforms to communicate and share.

And if they think about ruining that, I won't purchase any online service AT ALL, and I'll just live my life like I lived it BEFORE the internet and I have no problem doing so if need be.

Now listen

There are parents and there are children

Drugs are bad, and we will punish you
Now listen
There is god and there is the devil

Do bad things(as perceived by our god) and you will be punished

Now listen

There ae haves(1%) and havenots

Don't try to get any of our shekels
you will be punished

The EU is a modern Soviet Union, run by Bolshevik Jews.

actual rational

What this would mean is a lot of Europeans would have to adopt P2P platforms to share stuff (think Soulseek/Retroshare/Tribler/Onionshare/eMule etc), perhaps including decentralized web browsing platforms (think Tor/Beaker/Blockstack/Zeronet etc) to host "banned" content so others can view it.

The only good thing I see coming from this is it will piss people the fuck off, and force people to adopt alternatives that will be much harder for governments to control or regulate (maybe with hope, development of NEW decentralized technologies/protocols similar to bit torrent or IPFS).

MODERN SOVIET UNION.

MODERN SOVIET UNION

10 years ago this would be headline news that the world would be infuriated about….. today? No one pays any attention at all. Sad.

real news

anti-slide

Perhaps this will awaken the normalfag.

Attached: aEkDdLlX_700w_0.jpg (413x411, 10.71K)

oh wow REAL NEWS!

By far the biggest news event of the week!

such actual

rational factional news

wow actual rational

I2P -> geti2p.net/en/
Tor Project -> torproject.org/
Freenet Project -> freenetproject.org/
Beaker Browser → beakerbrowser.com/
IPFS -> ipfs.io/ | orion.siderus.io/
IPFS Desktop -> github.com/ipfs-shipyard/ipfs-desktop
Zeronet -> zeronet.io/
Tribler -> tribler.org/
Soulseek -> soulseekqt.net/news/node/1
Ares -> ares.com/
Ares Galaxy -> sourceforge.net/projects/aresgalaxy/
Fopnu -> fopnu.com/
Retroshare -> retroshare.cc/ (retroshare is full of decentralized image boards)
OpenBazaar -> openbazaar.org/features/ (p2p web with a crypto market place)
Tox -> tox.chat/ (p2p instant messaging & decentralized chat platform)
Super Simple Server -> supersimpleserver.com (decentralized web hosting)
qBittorrent -> sourceforge.net/projects/qbittorrent/
Tixati -> tixati.com/
Quazaa -> sourceforge.net/projects/quazaa/
Anomos -> sourceforge.net/projects/anomos/
GNUnet -> gnunet.org/en/
Usenet -> torrentfreak.com/how-to-use-usenet/ | archive.fo/e1HXH
Image boards over ipfs:// -> ipfs.io/ipns/boards.ydns.eu/#/
dat:// protocol -> datproject.org/
List of goodies → github.com/gdamdam/awesome-decentralized-web