Yeast produce low-cost, high-quality cannabinoids

UC Berkeley synthetic biologists have engineered brewer’s yeast to produce marijuana’s main ingredients—mind-altering THC and non-psychoactive CBD—as well as novel cannabinoids not found in the plant itself.

Feeding only on sugar, the yeast are an easy and cheap way to produce pure cannabinoids that today are costly to extract from the buds of the marijuana plant, Cannabis sativa.

“For the consumer, the benefits are high-quality, low-cost CBD and THC: you get exactly what you want from yeast,” said Jay Keasling, a UC Berkeley professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering and of bioengineering and a faculty scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “It is a safer, more environmentally friendly way to produce cannabinoids.”

Cannabis and its extracts, including the high-inducing THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, are now legal in 10 states and the District of Columbia, and recreational marijuana—smoked, vaped or consumed as edibles—is a multibillion-dollar business nationwide. Medications containing THC have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to reduce nausea after chemotherapy and to improve appetite in AIDS patients.

CBD, or cannabidiol, is used increasingly in cosmetics—so-called cosmeceuticals—and has been approved as a treatment for childhood epileptic seizures. It is being investigated as a therapy for numerous conditions, including anxiety, Parkinson’s disease and chronic pain.

But medical research on the more than 100 other chemicals in marijuana has been difficult, because the chemicals occur in tiny quantities, making them hard to extract from the plant. Inexpensive, purer sources—like yeast—could make such studies easier.

Plus, he added, there is “the possibility of new therapies based on novel cannabinoids: the rare ones that are nearly impossible to get from the plant, or the unnatural ones, which are impossible to get from the plant.”

news.berkeley.edu/2019/02/27/yeast-produce-low-cost-high-quality-cannabinoids/

Attached: feedingyeast.jpg (452x553, 60.66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/zhggW
qwant.com/
duckduckgo.com/
startpage.com/
ixquick.com
searx.me/
ecosia.org
search.yacy.net/
goodgopher.com/
bing.com/
gab.ai/
shitposters.club/
sealion.club/
freezepeach.xyz/
voat.co/
iscute.moe/
social.ufeff.club/
d.tube/
bit.tube/
brighteon.com/
invidio.us/
pe.ertu.be
ugetube.com
hooktube.com/
liveleak.com/
bitchute.com/
minds.com/
streambotz.com/
unseen.is/
signal.org/
freedom.social/
mastodon.social/
steemit.com/
joindiaspora.com/
snabbo.com/
medium.com/
spreely.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If someone buys the patent for any drink formula using thc/cbd/whatever then maybe. But that would be anti-competitive in an emerging market and there would be a ruckus of sorts about the legality of that.

What I think will happen is that UC Berkeley make the knowledge public and private enterprises have free reign to try their own spins/flavours etc.

east tends to mutate over time. I'll harvest yeast for a generation or two to save the 10$ on purchasing a fresh batch from the homebrew store.

I've also harvested yeast from a commercial bottle of Belgian beer when I was trying to clone the recipe. If Berkeley lets the genie out of the bottle, however, I'm sure that labs everywhere could begin to grow this yeast. I have a friend that's a lab geek that grows yeast for a supplement type of company.

You can add more than one type of yeast during fermentation, so yes, you could get stoned and drunk off a lager/Ale provided the temperatures both strains like are similar.

THC BREAD(PIZZA)

How can something be a "cannabinoid" if it isn't available in the original plant?

Can't wait to brew my own pot IPA

rubs hands together…
We can PATENT it!

It actually makes total sense. Plants feed on sugars, turning those energies into other compounds. Yeasts do too. Training yeast to produce the compounds desired would be even much simpler than training plants to produce desired compounds. It's kind of fascinating all the different things they can do with simple yeasts!
But producing opiates?
Whew lad!
(((Who))) could be behind this research?

Read the article. It's a good one. Here's an archive link, because, you know..
archive.fo/zhggW

I'm assuming cannabinoid is a chemical family with a similar structure. That's why marijuana has multiple types of cannabinoids in it. Well, this yeast could possibly make a different type of cannabinoid that doesn't naturally occur in marijuana. It is still a cannabinoid, regardless.

If you weren't paranoid about getting drugged by your everyday foodstuffs, you're sure as heck gonna be!

getting stoned off of a yeast infection. lol

Either way, serve that shit up. I've smoked things I've bought from hippies in rave parking lots. Gimme.

Attached: index.jpg (315x160, 6.4K)

t. stoner

t. drunkard

Attached: PicsArt_01-25-09.38.24.jpg (650x488, 54.97K)

Opiates arent evil

Protip: Nothing is.

This

this might explain why I feel euphoric
whenever I lick Rocket's sphincter

but then again, it might not

Protip: Jim's breasts are

Cooking foods breaks down the THC. THC has to be added after cooking in edibles.

interesting but useless. you need to grow crops and ferment them into this thc batch. if you just grow the weed you got the thc and you don't need the extra process.

Attached: tenor (40).gif (480x274, 1.39M)

No, yeast and sugar

10 yrs before this hits the market

dude weed lmao

Does not read the article. Just gets stoned and inserts own ideas into a meaningless commentary.
I think I'll go brew me up a batch of live resin right fucking now!

Alternatives to Google

qwant.com/
duckduckgo.com/
startpage.com/
ixquick.com
searx.me/
ecosia.org
search.yacy.net/
goodgopher.com/ (for news)
bing.com/

Alternatives for Twitter

gab.ai/
shitposters.club/
sealion.club/
freezepeach.xyz/
voat.co/
iscute.moe/
social.ufeff.club/

Alternatives for Youtube

d.tube/
bit.tube/
brighteon.com/ (aka real.video)
invidio.us/
pe.ertu.be
ugetube.com (gun tutorials)
hooktube.com/
liveleak.com/
bitchute.com/
minds.com/
streambotz.com/

Alternatives to Facebook

unseen.is/
signal.org/
freedom.social/
mastodon.social/
steemit.com/
joindiaspora.com/
snabbo.com/
medium.com/
spreely.com/

NOYCE CANNANANOID BUMP, KILLCEN!

ripped off from mr robot.

Retard

I thought the same thing. Cannabinoids are called that because they come from canabis. Fucking nigger scientists in this clown world. Everything is so fucking dumb these days

They are called cannabanoids since they were first discovered in cannabis. Cannabanoids are just a class of neurochemicals. They led to the discovery of the cannabanoid system in humans. Receptor sites for this molecule. Its just a name, it doesnt mean that molecule is exclusive to the plant, its just where we discovered it first.

My tiger just smoked some of the live resin I brewed in the garage and about scared some thievin' nigger half to death!

I feed pot to rabbits then feed the rabbits to my tiger.

Attached: 508085a8eba2703d4e32e7466d67f77b.jpg (525x525, 61.38K)

Thanks, user. I enjoyed a good laugh and now I can go to bed. I want to get up bright and early so I can get a good start on making Killcen's day again in the morn..

Those rabbits are eating pot, oh man.

You dont 'brew' live resin

Gotta keep those tigers stoned.

ill bet it will be 1,000,000,000 times cheaper than insulin while having +\- 1000% change in production difficulty
(clean room for insulin , possible difficulty for yeast to make the stuff)

Spam.

This is the exact opposite of reality.
THC has to be cooked TO MAKE IT ACTIVE.

No, the yeast synthesizes the cannabinoids itself.

No. Cannabinoids are called that because they interact with the cannabinoid receptor system and were first discovered in cannabis.
Much the same as a compound being called an opioid if it interacts with the opioid receptors. Not all opioids come from the opium poppy. Not all cannabinoids come from the cannabis plant.

Yeasts aren't "trained", they're created through genetic engineering.

That's why you keep a master culture instead of reusing each new generation.

That's very naive. A core concern of the groups doing this yeast research is how to keep the yeast out of the hands of the public.
Most likely a security system will be engineered into the yeast itself, e.g the requirement for an exotic enzyme that's easier to control than yeast, because it's only a matter of time before someone liberates a yeast and makes it publicly available.

test reply 1

DUDE YEAST LMAO

Why spam a MORE-THAN-LEGITIMATE REAL NEWS thread, Killcen? Jesus says he'd like you to take a look at that overblown ego – that is, if you can even see past it enough to see anything 'else', if for no other reason than to gain some fucking perspective!
And the rest of you lazy fuckers on here – don't even get me started!
READ THE FUCKING ARTICLE!
This is NOT about Weed.
This is about so much more.
This is about the ability to 'orcestrate' any organic compound by feeding simple organisms carbohydrates, then collecting and recombining the byproducts.
and if you think "orchestrate" was the wrong word to use, then you have never vaporized a hit of Cannabinoid Live Resin!
You really should, Killcen. If anyone should, you should. I 'highly' doubt it could make you more paranoid!

Attached: Dab.Down.NAO!.jpg (1830x1742, 512.67K)

*orchestrate

Aren’t “novel cannnabinoids not found in the plant itself” basically the same thing as synthetics like k2 that cause people to have seizures and eat each other’s faces?

Those weren't cannabinoids in Spice or whatever that shit was.

nothin wrong with that

Attached: dan.jpg (900x900, 62.29K)

Holy shit a retard who doesn't realise those sites are just as bad if not worse

Also Hooktube is useless now, the best youtube redirect is invidio.us

I thought they were just functional groups of THC, etc., with random shit tacked on to make it “not technically thc”

The thing that bothers me about this is; it’ll never be accessible to the public. Anyone can grow a pot plant. Only corporations and medical labs will have access to the magical yeast strain even though anyone can grow yeast too.

And that’s probably for the better anyway. Right now naturally occurring yeast ferments all kinds of things like pumpkins, fruit, etc wherever it comes into contact. If a feral thc yeast strain got into the environment hilarity could ensue.

The pot brownies will no longer need pot in them to get you high!

The only thing about this thread that's getting higher is its placement in the Catalog.

What of it? Wanna buy some?

| 👀 |