Exxon predicted exactly in 1982 the 415 ppm of CO in the global atmosphere

Atmospheric carbon dioxide sets a new record every year. This year’s cracked the ominous milestone of 415 parts per million (ppm) thanks to ever rising emissions from human activities. The sharp rise might seem like something nobody could’ve predicted but there’s at least one group of scientists that were on the money 37 years ago: Exxon’s ace team of scientists.

Internal memos unearthed in InsideClimate’s Pulitzer-winning 2015 investigation into the company revealed all sorts of solid science being done even as the oil giant sowed doubt in public. Bloomberg reporter Tom Randall revisited the memos in light of the world’s new carbon dioxide milestone and tweeted a graph from one showing just how much Exxon knew what our future would look like.

It’s eerie seeing how well the company understood both climate science and the world’s patterns of economic growth built on the back of fossil fuels. Here’s that chart, annotated for ease of reading:

earther.gizmodo.com/exxon-predicted-2019-s-ominous-co2-milestone-in-1982-1834748763

Attached: gt9tqsevdxur2ix2klbm.jpg (1600x1886, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jacobinmag.com/2019/02/fossil-fuels-climate-change-crimes-against-humanity
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colour_of_Magic
skepticalscience.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The prediction is a pretty damn good one. The world is now about 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than it was and carbon dioxide levels are at 415 ppm. The estimate was part of Exxon’s “high case” scenario, which assumed fossil fuel use would quicken and that the world would be able to tap new reserves in the late 2000s from at the time unreachable shale gas. The memo also warned that the extra carbon dioxide would enhance the greenhouse effect and that an “increase in absorbed energy via this route would warm the earth’s surface causing changes in climate affecting atmospheric and ocean temperatures, rainfall patterns, soil moisture, and over centuries potentially melting the polar ice caps.”

Honestly, it gave me chills re-reading the memo 37 years later. The company clearly described all the horrors we’re facing now. The only thing its scientists got wrong was that what they called “potentially serious climate problems” wouldn’t emerge until the late 21st century. So much for that.

In a non-sociopathic hands, the chart should have been a warning that increasing fossil fuel production and use was putting the world in grave danger. But instead, it was something Exxon buried in internal documents as the company turned to questioning climate science in an effort to preserve its bottom line.

It’s Time to Try Fossil-Fuel Executives for Crimes Against Humanity

jacobinmag.com/2019/02/fossil-fuels-climate-change-crimes-against-humanity

Attached: GettyImages-868319654.jpg (1024x683, 69.56K)

Bbbbut I got to drive my Chevy pickup real cheap

Just because they knew it was going to happen doesn’t mean fossil fuels are the cause, there are far greater sources than human emissions.

Absolutely none of this implicates AGW at all, you delusional cultist.

I can’t wait for such a time where radicals like you are sent to the gallows.

OK..Listen
They did the study because they knew their product was causing this

Now, usually I don't reply to anons as clueless as you, but Today I made an exception

Humans are warming the climate at a very fast rate

end of story

It always surprises me when someone who is obviously as stupid and clueless as you can string a group of words together into a coherent sentence and uses polysyllabic words like delusional and cultist.

Oh…I forgot, browsers have spell correction now, so even subhuman idiots like you can appear smart

But I guess where you hang out, those words get used a lot,(sac)so these are the only ones you are familiar with

HaHa…hee

David and Goliath match where David is a retard with a feather brane instead of a sling shot

lmao

lmao

The oil companies knew in the 70s that burning fossil fuels was causing global warming, according to their own scientists. It was at that point that they gave up denying it and instead started the tobacco strategy of "sowing doubt" which just means start throwing up red herrings to make people THINK it could be due to something else, instead of what it's actually due to. Every time some idiot here starts spouting stuff like "the sun spots man the sun is in a cycle, dude!" you know that's one of the low-iq idiots who fell for that tactic.
You may be all mad about carbon taxes and think that it's all a money grabbing scheme and that's fine to think that, but that has NOTHING to do with whether or not global warming and the resulting climate change is happening. It is. We have to deal with it. So rage against the greedy carbon taxing governments, but if you don't like that solution, then what solution do you want? Argue that point.
Denying global warming at this point is like you got educated in the most bottom-tier shithole country (take your pick of which one, user) and are as smart as one of those inhabitants, who gets easily duped by youtube videos saying the earth is flat and that humans don't cause global warming.

What are you going to do? Bomb China and India until they comply with western standards? It's not "our" problem to solve when most CO2 is not from "us".

predicted

predicted this, predicted that, predicted, predicted, predicted. people who think 'predictions' are relevant are uneducated fools.

We adapt
populations move from coastal areas
control population
stop the fuck using gas as a fuel
eat less meat
when India and the middle east and parts of Africa become too hot to live in, don't allow them in the cooler civilized countries

and hands off the great lakes

if you want our water, move here

And If you don't want to do this stuff, then don't have kids

It's gonna be them that have to face the dirty nuclear fallout when it's 150 degrees F in India and they migrate north to paki land where in the mountains, its cooler and pakis say no and nukes come out and that cloud of shit falls across europe

Attached: kys.jpg (1280x881, 99.31K)

reminded me of you.

cancles

About the only thing I agreed with Trump on

A wall, but not a fucking physical wall

japan can lose population but keep out the hordes because they have the ocean

The Brits…holy fuck, the channel kept out Hitler, so they invite th invaders

I'm an equal opportunity isolationalist

keep every one out

we have enough people

Build robots too care for our old
don't hire or emigrate flip workers to wipe my ass

put all the old people on a conveyor belt and hose them like a carwash

and any idiot that say the oven for them, ok, as long as they walk into it voluntarily when they become feeble

wipe my peachy ass user

what do you propose using to power jet aircraft and cargo ships?

cancles

take a vacation in your own country and use an electric train

AA alert(andy aper)

you've missed the entire point. the only cure is the complete elimination of the entire human race. only then will all of the planet's problems be solved. exactly what makes you think that YOU'RE entitled to live?

SPOTLIGHT

somebody probably predicted you'd say that, or something similar to it.

full retard

But what alternatives are there besides making everything really expensive and making our lives even more shit?
Even the biggest advocates for alternative fuels are flying coast to coast in expensive gas gussling private Jets, because there are no viable alternatives. What the fuck are we, the common man, going to actually do that's going to make a difference? The answer; nothing. The solution has to come from the top-down. You have rich assholes on TV telling the world Global Warming is the common mans fault. Fuck you, sacks of shit.

Attached: 63af9a931823d3c1aedb96ddc78f720d911be49f7d17748d9b70c402c00c205a.gif (550x192, 348.61K)

We can see right through you cultists, predicting the world will end in 12 years, for decades now. Unless we give up all industry + technology and massively increase taxes.
You call non-cultists science deniers, yet you deny the fact that the sun's cycles are responsible for anything to do with the climate. You also deny that a single volcanic eruption can release more carbon than decades of human civilization. You have twisted the most basic building block of life into a poison in your own minds. All your predictions have been wrong, except when you go back and manipulate the data to fit your conclusions of course! (See climategate wikileaks, NASA "adjusted" historical data).
Even if your current prophecies are correct, the global average has been way hotter several times. I'm not sure the Romans thought being able to grow grapes in the north of England was a problem, and the Arabs somehow seemed to survive an extra few degrees in the desert.
If you genuinely believe in your bullshit, the best thing you can do would be to kill yourself. But of course you won't. You need to be alive to spread the cult's message to impressionable schoolchildren. How else can the world be saved!?

*tries to hide my smile and looks away*

Yep that's your problem right there, when someone points out a few of the huge holes in your religious worldview you look away.
Yet you believe your high priests who create more carbon emissions in a single year flying to conferences and events (when the bloody internet exists ffs) than a whole family does in 5 years. Then they go back to their luxury shoreside air-conditioned mansions that were supposed to be underwater a decade ago. All paid for by your indulgences carbon offsets, of course.

Here's the thing, lame brane

a cult is a small group of people

Now, I bet that among any member of the earth's population that can read and write,(sac) the majority of them believe people are raising the temperature

And among that group,(sac)an even larger majority of the intelligent and/or well educated believe it

And among scientists, it's 99.99999% that believe

Now, I don't believe that you,(sac)user, are a scientist, or even an intelligent person

You seem to have the ability to read and write, and you may be intelligent, so if these aPply to you, then I'd say that there's some sort of mental illness going on in you, like the flat earthers

I'm only replying to the likes of you, because i enjoy mocking the likes of you

You are a worthless opponent

Andy was a worthy opponent
he has intelligence and education, with a slight derangement of the mind, but he know the earth is round

So, since you belong to such a small minority of people

YOU ARE THE CULTIST, YOU BRANE ADDLED FUCKING BRANELET

That's telling 'em.

The braneless cultists.

Long rule common sense.

(But he's right about The DiCaprios of the world flying around to tell us not to waste, about the only thing he's got right)

Is that you /killcen/?
(sac)
If it's you, you should have the courage to admit that it's you and accept the chastisement
It's all in good natured opposition

You completely misunderstood my comment

I didn't want to embarrass Killcen, so I tried to
hide my smile, then I looked away, to try and prevent myself from busting out laughing.

I agreed with your post, and I was impressed with your clarity and fluidity of syntax.

You erroneously thought I disagreed with you

You're brilliant

And you're funny

I'm not a worthy opponent at all.

not compared to you guys…
You dudes are much smarter than I
And you're much better expressing with words

I'm just an obnoxious interloper
who is addicted to confrontationalism

Has anybody seen the trailers for GOOD OMEit looks like it's going to be fairly interestingc

Attached: Good_Omens_Title_Card.png (400x225, 148.4K)

Typo

GOOD OMENS

looks like it has a lot of potential to be good

Attached: good-omens-logo-1137626-1280x0.jpeg (1280x718, 51.73K)

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
L O O K S G R E A T

Quentin Tarantino says it's his last film
he says Netflix and Hulu and Amazon prime have ruined the film industry.
he says the film industry is supposed to take place in movie theaters, not watching a TV in your living room

And he's correct. The good old days of Hollywood are over… This is going to be his best movie yet.

It comes out in July, and you would be an idiot not to go see it in the theater.

I don't think you're Andy, but i appreciate the Andy aping attacks on my grammar

(sac) Space after comma was to needle him when he kept on in his autistic way of asking why I didn't do this in my Op titles

I did it to save space

I adopted the namefag just so he'd knw it was me

Now, even I wasn't as dedicated to the type of constant shitposting that Andy was int, and i ignored the poor lonely bastard when he barked like a little puppy in threads looking for someone to interact with;
i also wasn't here nearly as much as he was and would come back 4 or 5 days later and see his liitle wups wups looking for his master to pay attention to him.

I felt so bad
I'd go over to Zig Forums and there he'd be, chewing on the toe of someones foolish post.

and I'd say, Andy, you toilet graffiti drawing washed up artist, how you been, and his lil tail would wag and he'e call me a cunt
But then I gt involved with the gaming again heavily and the anime and the marvel movie universe and left for a whole week and I came back….and he was gone.

Hhhe…heee had wandered out the door

I searched and I searched everywhere, but he was gone

Big fan here of Gaiman and Pratchett

American Gods just finished season 2, and it's good

now unlike that game of thrones which i would never read (10.000 pages?), American gods(2002) is a 300 page novel with 1 sort of sequel that doesn't have to be read

There' a a graphic novel which came out last yr and which i only started reading because of the amaing illustrations

Pratchett's discworld series(which i have never read or even watched) was made int a few tv series

The Colour of Magic is a 1983 comic fantasy novel by Terry Pratchett, and is the first book of the Discworld series. The first printing of the British edition consisted of 506 copies.[1] Pratchett has described it as "an attempt to do for the classical fantasy universe what Blazing Saddles did for Westerns.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colour_of_Magic

Discworld is a comic fantasy book series written by the English author Terry Pratchett (1948–2015), set on the Discworld, a flat planet balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle. The books frequently parody or take inspiration from J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft, Charles Dickens and William Shakespeare, as well as mythology, folklore and fairy tales, often using them for satirical parallels with cultural, political and scientific issues.

41 short novels he wrote

to many for me, but the short tv series it's based on has been to watch list for yrs

Hey, thanks for reminding me, time to go looking into my old burned dvds

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1017x417, 543.38K)

good night
found the 1st series and wiil watch until I doze off

Nuclear renaissance when?

I mean, if we're going to die in 12 years because of global warming anyways, might as well reduce the misery and make it 2, right?

Bury that waste safely, or shoot it into space(don't want the rocket exploding on takeoff though)

And we have enough electricity to keep even all those Indians and Arabs burning up in their respective countries cool

it'd be like the winter in canada now, wher i have to bundle up to keep from freezing, but those Arabs would have to bundle up to keep from burning when they left the safety of their houses

I'd be like the Herbert Dune novels wher the fremen have to wear their stillsuits outside in the desert heat to survive

Attached: stillsuits.jpg (373x457, 66.05K)

PS:That cunt who wrote harry Potter stole all her ideas from Pratchett

That cunt stole from any and every source it could. All the character names are lifted from elsewhere, she is a stupid miserable thieving cunt housewife that made the book equivalent of clickbait.

ifyoureallywantedtosavespace,you'dtypelikethis
and I was just kidding about good omen

No I'm a productive white person. I'll eat my meat, drive my car and make a positive impact on the world. The other races can go without since its not their culture to drive cars and clean up after themselves.

Ebil whitey, why u import so much oil !
Stobpt that.
Ignore our fellow bugmen from constructing one new coal plant every week. You are the problem roundeye!

Attached: main.png (575x287, 16.45K)

Who pays you to post here? I can see the way you type you don't visit the chains very often

hes from plebbit

Wrong. China release more c02 overall, but look how much more efficiently than the US. PER CAPITA, they're way below. The US spews out half as much c02 as china, but the US only has one-fourth the population. Also, China has overtaken the US as the world leader in renewable energy technologies. (just one more future tech in a trillion dollar industry that China will beat the US in, taking jobs and economic prosperity away from us) Don't be stupid. You sound like fucking trump with that logic "if they don't do something, then why should we? waaaah!" like a fucking child. Everybody needs to do something, which is why we have things like the climate change accord that EVERYBODY signs on to (except the retarded US)
There are no boundaries to this problem. Just because you do or don't sign on to solving it doesn't mean you will or won't be subject to the effects of it. The only sensible thing is for everyone to get on board and do what they can. Look, just this past week the US was bombarded by freak storms that spawned devastating tornados that haven't been seen to such an extent.

absolutely every "fact" you posted in there is wrong. do yourself a favor, go to skepticalscience.com and see what scientists around the world are posting about your "theories" The comments section are full of actual scientists from around the world debating it all with each other. Far more informative than reading conspiracy bullshit on a chan by trump-like 80 IQ morons.

common fallacy and what the fossil fuel industry harps on when they want to scare people into not acting against their interests. You either a) have fallen for it or b) are an oil shill

Did the horse market mean the death of all industry and commerce when the automobile came along? Did the mp3 mean music was no longer a viable industry? No. New energy like thorium nuclear and renewables is where trillions of dollars of money and jobs will be made. Life will go on. There will be no dramatic end to civilization if we switch our focus, only new opportunities. China knows this, which is why they've surpassed the US in renewable energy. The only thing that will end will be oil execs making million dollar salaries. (actually that's a lie, as their industry dies, they will take off from their jobs with multi million dollar golden parachutes while their shareholders and peon workers are left penniless)

right now, I am in the middle of a triple digit heat wave that matches the normal temperatures found in July and August. It's in the 80s at 2AM

it doesn't matter WHAT anybody else postulates, or tries to back up with 'science' (every 20 years, the accepted scientific standards get rewritten)

I know what I EXPERIENCE

and I've experienced a disturbing change in climate….

I really, REALLY enjoyed reading your post.
Bravo, sir

while I agree with pretty much everything you said, I'd beg to differ about the music industry

I think china should cancle something.

where do you live, numb skull(trump?)?

Fucking chilly here in s Ontario

finally gt abve 20 celsius for 1 day

ima idiot

it just warmed up

do you wanna know the sad thing?

The facts that you just typed won't register with this guy

a fact to someone like him is what fits his world view

he will never be able to see out side it
There are too many like him

The fact has too bite him in the ass when it's too late

Nigeria

I'd suggest giving you a horizontal gaze nystagmus field test right now, but I can't see your eyes.

Yeah okay.

Methane does more harm to the environment than carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide at least gets respirated by plants. Methane is twice as dense and has no real outlet besides combustion. The problem is the issue of methane is tied to livestock, which we have even less control of.

The other issue is the fact that China and India are basically going through the industrial revolution. The US and EU can do as much as they can for their own boarders but international policy is a completely different story.

At least there is some solace that the fossil fuel issue is raising awareness in clean nuclear power, such as Thorium reactors.

Hardly. The liberals/"greens" are still clinging onto wind and solar, not even other more viable renewables, even though it's become clear as day that there's no way they can provide base load energy. And the only way we can possibly unfuck our shit is to decarbonize our grid ASAP, which can only be done with nuclear. The only country that's making serious investments in new nuclear tech is China. If they don't succeed, we're fucked.

while your post was extremely intelligent, and the first Two Paragraphs were accurate (with the exception of misspelling 'borders') your third paragraph was totally bizarre.

'clean' like Fukushima?
or 'clean' like the enriched uranium they found in the elementary school last week?

or did you mean 'clean' like the radioactive leak in Washington state last week?

or Three Mile Island Clean ?

perhaps you meant 'clean' like the partial core meltdown of the Fermi 1 Reactor at the Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station?

the answer is simple

the human race is a cancer

Yes those solar panels are much "cleaner". Just ignore how they break down quickly and need to be recycled, leeching toxic chemicals into drinking water. Ignore the strip mining it requires that renders entire swathes of land uninhabitable. B-but nuclear did that once in the worst possible circumstances, so nuclear is worse, right? Oh also ignore how solar doesn't even fucking work half of the time.

Attached: number-of-deaths-from-energy-production.png (1030x730, 91.6K)

Unironically china and the rest of the developing third world need to be stopped, the first world will need to decrease emissions yes, but we cannot afford to let china continue and india and africa to go through industrial revolutions.

calling this a 'prediction' wasn't your smartest work

it was a CALCULATION

did I mention solar ?

weird, I don't remember that

Then what else do you propose we use? Or do you think we should stop using energy altogether? Because that's pretty much the only viable alternative.

I didn't mention windmills either

nor conveyor belts with mules on them

all I said was nuclear is the farthest thing from clean

you should post a graph that represents the Japanese government's IDIOTIC plan to drill down into the earth and 'freeze' the core to stop the MELT-THROUGH (not a meltdown, but a melt-through) that's basically like a small sun sinking down into the core of the planet …

I already told you my proposal

7.6 billion bullets

the human race is a cancer

7.6 billion corpses will help a lot of plants grow

I had my own team of scientists develop this chart to demonstrate the effects of my proposal

Attached: PicsArt_05-25-10.41.08.jpg (1158x1158, 100.28K)

I can tell you who would benefit by the elimination of the human race:

every living thing that's not human

I've yet to see a single thing that humans have ever done that's beneficial to this planet.

not a god damn thing.

squeakers

great chart

Thanks for some intelligent interaction Andy

I may not be around that much to offer intelligent opposition and/or discourse for you as much as I would like, but holy fuck, some of the stray anons that wander in here make /killcen/ look like a god damned quantum mechanical physicist

At least your shit has a slight aromatic barnyard aroma

Attached: PicsArt_05-25-10.56.45.jpg (1300x966, 49.32K)

the past 37 hours have been nerve-wracking for me. my cat Sputnik went into labor, and only had one kitten, and it's been pins and needles trying to determine if she still had any babies in her uterus.

Sputnik is one of those cats who's not much bigger than a kitten herself, and she's always going to be a tiny little thing.

She delivered the kitten at 9:30 yesterday morning, and only right now am I beginning to think perhaps she was one of the rare exceptions that only had one kitten inside of her.

I've been very concerned about her going into sepsis if she had more kittens inside of her belly, but a veterinary caretech friend of mine came over and we've come to the determination that Sputnik might be okay.

Here's Sputnik

Attached: 20190410_224458.jpg (3264x2491, 2.49M)

Fuck your climate change bullshit

And here's the father, Cosmo
he's passed out right now (of course)

Attached: 20190525_231033.jpg (480x240, 88.32K)

and here's the one kitten, SOYUZ

a replicon

Attached: 20190525_231127.jpg (1280x1015, 272.8K)

Sputnik seems to be okay.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be okay now

but this past day has been scary

Attached: 20190525_231347.jpg (1280x900, 566.97K)

Looks like we got a feisty one

Glad your cats are fine, good sir!