Edward Snowden: If We Keep Blindly Consuming Smart Tech, We'll Lose All Personal Privacy

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden said Thursday that people in systems of power have exploited the human desire to connect in order to create systems of mass surveillance.

Snowden appeared at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia via livestream from Moscow to give a keynote address for the Canadian university's Open Dialogue Series.

Right now, he said, humanity is in a sort of "atomic moment" in the field of computer science. "We're in the midst of the greatest redistribution of power since the Industrial Revolution, and this is happening because technology has provided a new capability," Snowden said.

"It's related to influence that reaches everyone in every place," he said. "It has no regard for borders. Its reach is unlimited, if you will, but its safeguards are not." Without such defenses, technology is able to affect human behavior.

Institutions can "monitor and record private activities of people on a scale that's broad enough that we can say it's close to all-powerful," said Snowden. They do this through "new platforms and algorithms," through which "they're able to shift our behavior. In some cases they're able to predict our decisions—and also nudge them—to different outcomes. And they do this by exploiting the human need for belonging."

"We don't sign up for this," he added, dismissing the notion that people know exactly what they are getting into with social media platforms like Facebook.

"How many of you who have a Facebook account actually read the terms of service?" Snowden asked. "Everything has hundreds and hundreds of pages of legal jargon that we're not qualified to read and assess—and yet they're considered to be binding upon us."

"It is through this sort of unholy connection of technology and sort of an unusual interpretation of contract law," he continued, "that these institutions have been able to transform this greatest virtue of humanity—which is this desire to interact and to connect and to cooperate and to share—to transform all of that into a weakness."

"And now," he added, "these institutions, which are both commercial and governmental, have built upon that and… have structuralized that and entrenched it to where it has become now the most effective means of social control in the history of our species."

"Maybe you've heard about it," Snowden said. "This is mass surveillance."

web.archive.org/web/20190601195022/https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-01/edward-snowden-most-effective-means-social-control-history-our-species-place

Attached: If We Keep Blindly Consuming Smart Tech, We'll Lose All Personal Privacy.jpg (1160x768, 37.07K)

Other urls found in this thread:

browserleaks.com/proxy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There is no middle ground anymore. Either people support this and consume this shit, or they don't. And there will be a constant campaign to shill and promote this spy crap to the public, we actually already see that today. And anyone who decides to abandon ship and not utilize this (rightfully so) will be mocked and ridiculed just like I have been. This is now a war. They have declared war against our right to privacy. Make no mistake, they are at war against our right to privacy…. and now Amazon and Google are trying to FORCE this crap into our lives by shilling this crap to homebuilders, so its automatically installed before you even mortgage a home. It has gotten that invasive and ridiculous today. We need to boycott this, we need to remove any of this shit from our lives. We need to be demanding and buying traditional utilities, by God, if it means buying them used from thrift shops or flea markers or whatever. Considering this is war, I am hell bent on keeping myself within a 20th century lifestyle by all means necessary.

it's far far worse than this. it's to the point that anything that is connected to a network can be used as a spy device against you. they have been going mad with power using this technology since the bush jr days. beware of other creeps using it too. you wouldn't want some creepy sex cult to stalk you and try and recruit you.

Attached: 15036060-e8408a3def8037e89b67a30fc7ec5f30-650-ff525d9d51-1499874548.jpg (650x835, 384.58K)

Second wave amish is the only answer.
All tech past 1989 is deemed harmful and discarded.

Yes, that basic. Side channel attacks too, like remotely accessing a mic or camera on a laptop or newer PC. Thats why I physically disable them and physically remove the WiFi card as well. But then there is the other scare of BIOS backdoors, sophisticated TEMPEST-style surveillance that can "jump air-gapped machines" (air-gap = 100% offline) by intercepting the electromagnetic frequencies of circuity within a reasonable remote distance. 'Smart meters' being able to log timestamps of when machines are connected and disconnected, etc.

From what I've heard all the newer Intel chips also have tiny 3G chips embedded in the processors as well, to mitigate consumer air-gapping. Thats why you should really be using an old 90s or early 2000s PC.

You can air-gap older PCs, I have. But the other worry is TEMPEST-style surveillance to which there is almost no way of avoiding unless you are isolated from populated areas (and not on some target list at that) or hook everything up underground to avoid electromagnet eavesdropping.

You can buy a device to test for wireless frequencies. Air gap only really works if you are right next to a telephone line. You can easily faraday your computer, laptop is harder but it can be done. Take it apart, put a flat copper mesh in and only use it when grounded.

see

You could also place strong magnets in a circular pattern around the area or room where you use your computer/laptop too. Just make sure they are not too close to the computer/laptop or they can interfere with the electronics. If someone is trying to electromagnetically eavesdrop around the area, the magnets will interfere with their interception signals.

the truth is that all this mass surveillance and ufo bullshit we have been seeing is just the feds syndicate that does all these espionage jobs. stop paying taxes. this is hardcore predatory tactics and we are fair game to them. it's gotten so bad it's to the point where i can't even trust my own family.

Always use digression when talking to family or even friends. Make sure you don't inform them about what they do not need to know (such as political preferences or online activities). You have to slowly gain trust, but very cautious what you tell people at the same time. There are things people should know about you and things that must also be kept completely private. Learn and discern from those.

Zig Forums has become the most worthless board on Zig Forums. no wonder we're all in Zig Forums. this is unbearably dead and pointless. one user creating threads, and talking to himself

None of us are on pol that I know of. If you don't like it here go back over there for all I care. Peace.

Velostat, Linqstat

Just ripped this from some torfag on Reddit:

"Using uBlock Origin in Tor Browser.

According to browserleaks.com/proxy Content Filters and Proxy Detection, the 3rd-party filters will be detected.

However, the more of us using Tor as a default daily driver for clearnet browsing, make uBO's 3rd-party filters list look just like a current default installation of uBO on Firefox desktop, upgrading AdGuard mobile to AdGuard base for further obfuscation if using Android, then the less we will be fingerprinted if a site utilizes filtering detection.

Advanced user Rules are undetectable.

about:config for TBB daily driver mode:

dom.indexedDB.enabled true
javascript.options.wasm true
network.http.referer.XOriginTrimmingPolicy 2
network.http.sendRefererHeader 2
privacy.firstparty.isolate.restrict_opener_access false"

I've heard it said we may be moving towards a post-privacy society. Where everybody knows what you've done, but that goes the same for the people at the top. What would happen to the power structure if all the closets had glass doors and the skeletons could no longer be hidden?

when will Zig Forums collectively purchase 10k acres of arable land and build the commune we've dreamed of?

wow, I'll check into that very soon, thank you user

Very common propaganda tactic. I've also heard we are headed towards a "post-industrial economy" and look how that turned out. These phrases they come up with are meant to subdue you and make you think everything will just be fine, when in fact everything is getting worse and worse and you should not have to put up with their BS.

Just checked about:config and only one of those existed and was enabled for my browser. I do check about:config from time to time to make sure no botnet telemetry urls sneak in.

Can't even find those old computers around here tbh. Otherwise, yeah I'm okay with an Amiga 500, but it doesn't stand a chance to do much of anything on modern Internet.

Attached: A-Talk.jpg (1199x930, 291.78K)

I don't sweat surveillance too much these days. I simply don't put personal info or have personal contacts on the computer I use online. So even if I get hacked, there is not much to steal or find out about me. And I do all the typical opsec including covering up the web cam, removing the mic, WiFi card removed, using a private encrypted VPN, forward secrecy, don't leave my modem on 24/7, etc.

So even if they are doing some routine surveillance they really ain't getting much of anything on me. All my institutional records are old as the hills and I have no social media presence to spy on.

This tech will be perfect when our AI overlords command us

000010 00000(sac) 00000 00000 10000 000000

Big guy

Is that some kind of polymorphic electronic worm code?

my browser can't make it out

Attached: what is this.png (468x85, 2.58K)

They have been warned

Attached: 3806d5a4bb4638755ead007a0a3535dc01eebda17a55b0ff0af18fa43b284861.jpg (1500x1000, 274.27K)

I would expect someone to hack my OS at some point while being here, it is a place with a lot of spooks. Hopefully nothing was illegally planted on my hard drive.

I could just imagine hackers shuffling through folder after folder after folder of paranoid rambling kek

anti-slide 4

Found the glownigger

Seriously. about:config is typically filled with third party urls that Mozilla Firefox automatically feeds your cookies / browser history to, but you have to be very careful using it because if you mess with programming that is important, it could screw up your browser. But I'd recommend looking for third party (typically big tech and other advertisement urls) and removing that shit so they don't gobble up your data as you browse online.

Also, learn how to disable webGL and webRTC IP leakers from about:config because if you have those enabled while using a VPN, they will leak your real IP!

The irony is he is being protected by Russia, one of the leaders in electronic hacking and manipulation of people on social media.

Actually its the NSA who is the leader of electronic hacking and Snowden's leaks proved it. Russia doesn't have the kind of money to invest like the US does to be that good. Regardless, Snowden is right, we can't trust all this "smart" IoT crap to keep our lives secure or private.