French Government Study Concludes LED Lights Damage Retinals

LED lights can permanently damage the retina and disturb natural sleep rhythms, France's government-run health watchdog has said.

The French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES) warned powerful LED lights are 'photo-toxic'.

In a 400-page report, the body cautioned it can cause an irreversible loss of retinal cells and lead to a common cause of blindness.

ANSES urged officials to revise the maximum limit for exposure to LED lights, which emit 'blue light' at much higher quantities.

The report distinguished between acute exposure of high-intensity LED light, and 'chronic exposure' to lower intensity sources.

While less dangerous, even chronic exposure can 'accelerate the ageing of retinal tissue' and contribute to poor vision, the agency said.

Long-lasting, energy efficient and inexpensive, LED technology has gobbled up half of the general lighting market in a decade.

And industry experts predict its share will continue to rise, topping 60 per cent by the end of next year.

archive.fo/ProIe
dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7032303/LED-lights-irreversibly-damage-eyes-French-health-authority-warns.html

Attached: French Government Study Concludes LED Lights Damage Retinals.jpg (718x480, 73.18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They claim newer computer screens don't do damage, but not necessarily true. If you stare at computers all day long, it will do damage over time, it may take many years before you really notice or are highly impacted, but staring at computer screens for many many hours per day is also bad for the eyes. Therefore take lots of extra vitamin supplements, like K2, which is good for eye health. And drink lots of filtered/distilled water. And omega-3 fatty acids.

anti-slide

In other news power lines cause cancer, vaccines gave me autism and the world is flat.

Do it and shut up once for all…

anti-slide 444677777

The sun also is bad for your eyes

Yes, if you stare at the sun thats true. Same thing with the LEDs, they're not good to stare at or look at for periods of time. Maybe one lighting up a room not so bad, but direct overexposure certainly is.

actual news

They claim newer computer screens don't do damage, but not necessarily true. If you stare at computers all day long, it will do damage over time, it may take many years before you really notice or are highly impacted, but staring at computer screens for many many hours per day is also bad for the eyes. Therefore take lots of extra vitamin supplements, like K2, which is good for eye health. And drink lots of filtered/distilled water. And omega-3 fatty acids.

I wear polarized shades when working at the computer.

Yes, because we all know that LEDs are equal in power to the sun.

Even if you are just outside without UV filtering sunglasses, you're doing damage to your eyes.

Tons of disinfo in this thread.
Don't listen to schizo freaks with as much scientific knowledge as a fucking prehistoric shaman.
The scientific study in the OP is the only bit of truth here.

Why should anyone listen to you? You provide nothing but negativity and criticism everywhere you go.

So what do we do?

When the first LED car headlights came out, a couple medical groups gave reports that due to the mostly-blue color of them, they would probably increase the risk of vision problems in people who drove a lot at night because of oncoming car lights in the driver's eyes being unavoidable.

There was also at least one driving-related study done that showed that the blue LED car headlights were not as effective (even for the car's driver) as the older-style incandescent lights. But by that time car companies had already spent a lot of money on developing car headlights, so they went ahead with them anyway.

bumping fresh news

CRTs and incandescent light bulbs, obviously! Well except that those are hard to find now…
I guess you can also turn down the brightness on your monitor, if you have the LED shit. And there's some programs (e.g. redshift) that change the color temperature, but I don't know if that's an adequate solution.
I'm using an old (2003) LCD screen, and those are still around if you look on craigslist and places like that. They're cheap too. This is a 17-inch 1280x1024 that I paid only 15 euros for. It has only VGA connector, as most do from that era, except maybe some that also have DVI. So you might need an adaptor also, if you computer only has the HDMI shit.
Old laptops also probably have LCD screens instead of LED. My old IBM Thinkpad T30 did, but later I upgraded to a shitty modern laptop and I'm pretty sure it's LED. That POS is already broken though, so I bought an ARM SBC and this old LCD monitor. I'm surely going to buy a couple more SBCs and LCD screens. Don't want to be stuck with x86 shit or widescreen LED shit ever again!

Attached: cfclient.png (1280x1024, 129.18K)

edfwe

total news

Oh, and I guess this is the next solution for when you can't find anymore cheap TFT LCD screens with fluorescent backlight: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
Right now they're kind of expensive. Here's a 9.7-inch one with controller board for raspberry pi, but it costs $170! On the plus side, it's safer for your eyes, uses almost no power, and can be used comfortably even in direct sunlight.

Do it. I wanna watch you ruin your body drinking nothing but distilled water as it ionically rips essential minerals out of you.

better sell tv's, monitors and led flashlights with safety sunglasses.

Dont forget to activate your almonds. Imma be over here eatin' muh burger.

This isn't always true. I'm never going to try Indian sungazing but it does make sense that the eyes need some indirect natural sunlight to stay healthy.

If you have to use LED's only buy soft white (looks like old fashion yellow lightbulbs) and make sure you eat a lot of greens and veg and fruit and herbs and take whatever vitamins you can't get like b12 and d3. spirulina kicks ass too, do your research on it you will flip your bricks how good this shit is. as for computers maybe there are computer glasses out there (many scams too beware that ofc) that protect the eyes. Haven't researched that really, but heard of it.

Dim your screen bros. Dim as low as you can go while still being comfortable (or you strain your eyes in the other direction)

It's also really bad to look at your bright computer screen in a dark room. Have a light on behind you so that your eyes don't strain dark background/bright as hell screen in foreground.

Is there a link to the original study? Don't get me wrong, I want to shitpost about this, but I need some more verifiable claims before I can do that.

I do that too. I also set my brightness to "echo 3 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness" which is 3 out of 10 (10 being the brightest setting) so its not overbearing.

Also, don't use LED screens. Either use older clunky CTRs or LCD screens.

More than the light of the LED itself, it's the diminition of darkness prriod that fuck up the eyes. In the old days, when it was night, you didn't really had powerful light sources available so the retina had time to regenerate at night. Now with sreens, how many people in this very thread are pulling almost all nighters behind their computers? Longer light exposure = more tiredness for the eyes because more activity and less rest.

Typically I get a goods night sleep, and when I do I shut off any lights & screens and that includes shutting down my computer and unplugging my modem too. But last night I went to bed very early, so I woke up very early this morning. That said, I'm also one who recommends people turn off everything before they go to bed, you sleep much much better that way.

anti-slide 78236