Divorce

How many Protestant on here support divorce? It is very *very* clearly prohibited by the Bible. Most prots I know irl are perfectly fine with divorce and remarriage.

Attached: princess-bride-2.jpg (229x220, 17.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desiringgod.org/articles/on-divorce-and-remarriage-in-the-event-of-adultery
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know my church (LCMS) only supports divorce in cases of cheating or abandonment.

I would think only normie prots would support divorce, but normies will support anything.

I'm a prot and I don't support divorce. It is very clearly wrong. You may get a different answer as regards whether the state should allow divorce however

I'd say…about none?
I don't believe you, papist. Most prots I know irl are completely against it, to the point of staying in what normies would consider abusive marriages.

Not I.
T. Baptist

well, I have basically my entire family who has had divorces and they are all protestants. Also reading books sometimes protestants will point out Catholics don't ever get divorced.

for example; The Great Gatsby

Prot here. I don’t support divorce. Isn’t it okay if it was over sexual impurity though?

according to the Catholic Church, you may separate, but not remarry.

I'm a former Baptist, and have gotten to know many Baptists, non-denominationals, and other Protestants for that reason. While a small minority of happy, middle-aged couples were strongly against divorce, everyone else (especially young women) hardly saw marriage as being "holy" or even a lifelong commitment as the Catholics do. Instead, their reasons for divorce basically boiled down to the wife having to endure any serious hardship, whether it be physical abuse from the husband, the occasional heated argument, or simply the wife losing their attraction to the husband.
Which is why sola scriptura is more a middle finger to the Church than a way of life for Protestants. Present 99% of them with the scripture you quoted or the verses about how women should cover their heads in church/prayer, and you'll soon find their doctrine is really sola modernismi.

Well, how many actually take their faith seriously? It sounds like almost none of them did.
This is a shitty troll thread. You know Protestantism doesn't "support divorce".

From my experience, there's no general rule. I've heard strict Catholics say it's okay for a wife to divorce her husband if he's beating her, I've heard liberal non-denominational Protestants say you shouldn't ever get divorced, even if your spouse is beating you or cheats on you, and I've heard everything in between. I do know that it's common for Southern Baptist churches to not allow divorced men to become deacons, however.

It just so happens that my militantly protestant father who kicked me out when I converted to Orthodoxy divorced my mother a few years prior to that.
This sort of behavior exemplifies Sola Fide perfectly if you ask me.

If I was trolling I would be all over this thread insulting people and starting arguments.

Diminish the holiest of sacraments, and the others fall along with it - or stop being sacraments at all.

All in the name of Sola Scriptura, of course.

My parents' pastor is divorced lmfao Prots are a joke. Maybe in the south they're better, but here in the north it's 100% Moralistic Therapeutic Deism.

whats it like in the north?

protestants don't support divorce because they don't even believe in marriage.

It depends on the Protestant. A lot of them seem to be pretty cool with wives divorcing their husbands because they cauaght them fapping to anime tiddies or whatever. It's a pretty big thing, at least in the States.

Yankee scum lives there, so it's probably terrible.

Rule 2

rules are for protestant nerds

I've been working at a Methodist church (choir work) while worshipping at a Latin Mass.
Methodist Pastor just got divorced, and is taking a 3 month leave. They put an old lady in his place. She's terrible.

I got 1 more month, and I'm gone.

Mainline prots support divorce and everything else that contemporary culture does. Part of the reason I left my last church was because so many seemed to be on their second marriage. I don't know every situation (though I knew plenty of occasions where wives were throwing their husbands out), but it sure sat wrong with me.

Reformed and conservative denoms are more restrictive, but I don't think they're restrictive enough at times. The general rule you hear is "infidelity or abandonment" But Matt 5:32 only seems to make divorce OK for infidelity, yet applies the label of "adulterer" to anyone who remarries. Matt 19:9 seems to combine the two, so that remarriage after infidelity is "safe."

As for abandonment..well, if they end up sleeping with another person, that seems to hit the infidelity criteria anyways…I know the prooftext for this is 1 Cor 7:15, but the "bondage" that the spouse is freed from is more likely the responsibility to provide (1 Tm 5:8) and have sex with (1 Cor 7:5)

Of course this is all based on the assumption that the "exception clause" is talking about a cheating spouse (who back then would have been killed….till death do you part) Some, such as Steven Anderson and John Piper take it to mean the discovery of fornication early on in the marriage

desiringgod.org/articles/on-divorce-and-remarriage-in-the-event-of-adultery

I tend to agree with this. If it wasn't for forcing celibacy on those who lack the gift, I would probably be in line with Catholic teaching on marriage and divorce.