Best Prayer Books?

I'm looking for some books to strengthen my prayer life

Attached: Divine Intimacy.jpg (305x499, 21.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=47#tab=tab-1
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=6845
divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl
catholicapologetics.info/scripture/newtestament/Lapide.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=47#tab=tab-1
The Little Office of the BVM by Baronius Press. It changes with the liturgical year, isn't complex, and will provide a beautiful structure for your day, and root your spiritual life in the foundation of the Church, Our Lady. Praying all the hours (the major ones take about 30 mins, the rest take about 10-15) is a glorious experience, and you'll be enlightened by God.

Thank you, I'll give it a look. I've tried praying the Liturgy of the Hours before (Christian Prayer 1 volume) but I couldn't keep up and got slack. The Little Office might be more my speed.

Keep trying, user. It takes a lot of discipline, but the strength it adds to your spiritual journey is immeasurable.

You don't have to pray all of them, you are not a Monk. Of course, doing so would be ideal, but realistically, with a normal life it is hard to accomplish.

You can focus on two-three hours and do these, for example Laudes and Vespers and add Sexte for a noon break, or something similar.

Is this any good?

Attached: sapb.jpg (606x597, 42.46K)

It looks lovely. Anything is good that you will actually DO consistently, anything is worthless that you won't.

I suggest a Enchiridion of Indulgences

try the Quran

(if you want to have a good laugh)

I'm also looking for a prayer book, which is hard to get in my language.
Even worse is that what's out there is semi-modernist trash shunning all form of prose and forcing poetry in everything.

Is there any prayerbook made by some saint (like ) by either catholic or orthodox?
It would assure that I won't get any modernistic crap.

That wasn't made by a Saint. It follows the basic missionary philosophy of the Western Rite as endorsed by the Patriarchate of Antioch and practiced by the Western Rite Vicariate since 1958. It's compiled by Rev. John G. Winfrey, published in 2008.

Well frick, explains why I can't find it in Dutch.
I was thinking about looking for some ancient pre-V2 Liturgy of the Hours but I haven't had any luck.

For over a 1000 years prior to V2, the Liturgy of the Hours became exclusively clerical prayer and laymen/third order weren't allowed access to it. V2 gave it back to the people. Might want to keep that in mind.

[source needed]

Here's a nice article. Sources are cited at the bottom.

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=6845

So, in return of bringing it back, they also modernized it (at least in my language).
You get some you lose some I guess.

Aight guys since this was an interesting thread I 'll bump it by saying I ordered the "Orthodox Prayerbook" from some priest 300km away.
If all goes well I'll have it within a few weeks.
You guys better deliver some quality or I'll be forced to buy an English one or heck even make one myself.

divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl
This site has a bunch of pre-V2 offices, you can pray it in Latin if you want, which is useful for when you cant find one in your language

Thanks but I already know the site.
I want a book for the evenings when I try to avoid screen light.
I used to use my phone for this, but a book is much more preferable.

Its called The Book of Psalms

I know this is probably not what you are looking for, but I find reading the commentary of Lapide is really good: catholicapologetics.info/scripture/newtestament/Lapide.htm