golubinski.ru/ecclesia/primacy.htm
youtu.be/R-s8v81ZkeU
youtu.be/DyuvkoiYlYk
youtu.be/Bqm8pt21cYg
youtu.be/SvEX15vd82w
youtu.be/Y5PUKrOeROU
theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/the-true-message-of-fatima/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Although I don't agree with him on several things, I actually like Kabane (he's not a meme theologian unlike Jay Dyer or Most Holy Family Monastery) so I'll listen to this.
He previously made a series about Catholicism:
youtube.com/watch?v=ilGtyV6fuOU
youtube.com/watch?v=N2LITy4KYMk
youtube.com/watch?v=09Sl5K-pgzE

(checked)
Yeah, the fact that he's not a living meme is partly why I was interested in seeing what this board thought about the video.

I agree with Kabane, I would only like to precise something.
St Leo, in his Tome, refers to Peter:

Peter's confession of faith is that Jesus is truly God and truly man. -As a consequence- Peter is the rock upon which the Church is built.
And because the Pope follows Peter's confession of faith, the attributes of Peter are his - he really follows the orthodox faith, he is really the successor and even the living presence of Peter:
And this faith of Peter not only determines that the Pope is orthodox, but also that the council is ecumenical. Indeed, by this proclamation after the reading of the Tome, the council proclaims that its intention is to teach correctly as to what pertains to the humanity and the divinity of Jesus, and we find that this is the concern of the first 7 ecumenical councils: the Trinity (for the first 2) and the Incarnation (for the latter 5). Therefore Peter is relevant not simply for the Pope, not simply for the ecumenical council, but for both.
But, later Catholic ecumenical councils tend to either be about pastoral rather than dogmatic issues, or be about dogmatic issues that do not concern the nature of who Jesus is. There is a noticeable discontinuity, in my opinion, and the proud proclamation of faith that Jesus is truly God and truly man ceases to be the main doctrinal focus after the 7th ecumenical council.

Another thing I want to precise: a Catholic objection could be "well, either way, the Fathers agree that the Pope is necessay, and you don't have him anymore, so either way you cannot claim legitimacy". But is that really so? First, what decides our salvation is not a checklist of statements to agree with, but the sacraments, most principally the Eucharist. If being in communion with the Pope is necessary for salvation in a way that is distinct from being in communion with your own bishop, that would imply the Pope is not ordained like other bishops, or that there is a 8th sacrament of the "papal ordination", but that is not the case. One could reply then that because the Pope has immediate universal jurisdiction, he is "your" bishop just as much as your local bishop is "your" bishop, but as Kabane says, we would disagree with this claim. In what sense is the Pope necessary for the Church then? In the Fathers such as St Cyprian and St Maximus, we find that the Apostolic See is necessary because 1) it is a proof of unity among the Churches, so that communion with the Pope is proof of belonging to the Catholic communion of faith, and 2) it is a proof of continuity with the apostolic church: the Pope holds the position of Peter and the college of bishops holds the position of the other apostles. What happens if there is no Orthodox Pope then? The Church is gravely wounded, it is not functioning as it should, this is a grave non-canonical situation, but it does not prevent the salvation of its flock or endanger the sacraments.

So then how has the Church functioned since the departure of the Pope from Orthodoxy? We know that the Ecumenical Patriarch is now the primate in the place of Rome, due to being 2nd in the dyptich, but this is needs a long-needed clarification. Firstly, the Ecumenical Patriarch holds the same prerogatives as the Pope used to, and those prerogatives are not all the same as that of every other bishop. Universal primacy is a necessay aspect of ecclesiology, and the primate has a special job that no one else has. Theologians of the Ecumenical Patriach, such as Metropolian Elpidophoros of Bursa, have expressed this by calling the EP "first among equals" in his prerogative as bishop of Constantinople but "first without equals" in his prerogative of universal pastor of the Church. But this has received many attacks, especially from bishops of Russia, who say that primacy is not necessary and purely artificial and honorific.
Secondly, the Ecumenical Patriarch is not simply "first among equals", but "first among equals -while waiting for the Pope to return to his canonical prerogative-". In other words the bishop of the Ecumenical See is "primus inter pares" but "locum tenens". His current status as first among equals is not normal, it is not something to be comfortable with, and it is an abnormal break from the apostolic practice. Should the Church be comfortable with the idea that the See of Peter is simply "replaced" by the See of Andrew, as if it made no difference whatsoever?

A final note: the sentence of "first among equals" tends to be treated as a joke by Catholics because it is only formulated as such after the 11th century. But this is no different from what St Cyril said in his letter against Nestorius, recognized at the 3rd ecumenical council:
Or even St Leo, who writes:
It means nothing more than that all bishops are equal. There is one sacrament of ordination, and all bishops receive this same sacrament and are ordained in the same manner. But one bishop is considered to have priority and primacy among them, with a special and wider prerogative.

I like Jay.

Attached: jay_dyer.mp4 (320x180, 3.82M)

Good post user, but can you clarify for me - are you saying that you agree with the position of the Pope as it stands today or are you arguing that it was never so?

I'm Orthodox, so I disagree with the Catholic dogmas surrounding the Pope.
I agree with Kabane on this subject, and I'm one of the few people I've seen who side with the Ecumenical Patriarch when he says such things as:
and
… knowing that this is to be understood in continuity with what he has said previously about primacy in the Church - that it is real, and necessary, but does not guarantee doctrinal infallibility. The Ecumenical See -is- divinely ordained as primate among the churches, because primacy is as divinely ordained as collegiality, and the 6th ecumenical council, inspired by the Holy Spirit, clearly lines out the ranking of the ancient churches: Rome, then Constantinople, then Alexandria, then Antioch, then Jerusalem.
I believe that those who say that primacy is purely artificial and can be done away with are wrong. I believe that those who say that the Church of Constantinople's hierarchical rank is entirely dependant of its geopolitical status and that it should not have the primacy anymore because it is not the imperial city anymore (and furthermore that the primacy should go to Moscow instead) are wrong. I believe, by extension, that those who say that Rome lost the primacy and Constantinople has had the primacy since the fall of the Western half of the Empire are wrong. I also believe that those who say that the Pope was never called the successor of Peter, or that Peter was never considered to have a successor, or that Peter did not die in Rome, or that the titles of Vicar of Peter and Vicar of Christ are post-schism, or that the rock was always considered to be the faith of Peter, etc. are provably wrong (but so are Catholics who say, on the opposite end, that these are the sole tradition the Church had until the Orthodox decided to act up in the 9th century).
It is disheartening that we tend to just take up Catholic arguments when defending ourselves against Protestantism, and Protestant arguments when defending ourselves against Catholicism. It has turned Orthodoxy into this kind of weird chimera, with what amounts to very Catholic theology and very Protestant ecclesiology, and doctrine that tries to be both at the same time. And the few attempts to simply go back to and follow the Fathers tend to be pathetic (St Photius, St Gregory Palamas, and St Mark of Ephesus are called the "pillars of Orthodoxy" yet they're very misunderstood - by the Orthodox the least, but still too much to be tolerable). But I guess I'm airing out dirty laundry about my own denomination, which I shouldn't be doing, so I'll stop there.

Attached: st peter icon 4.jpg (686x1000 158.85 KB, 85.34K)

As a note, I think it would be very important to look at iconography to see the role Peter plays, and therefore the role the Bishop of Rome is supposed to play. After all, liturgically, three roots of Holy Tradition are used to teach us: the Bible, the writings of the Fathers (through hymns and rubrics), and iconography, yet scholars and theologians (or at least Catholic ones) tend to overlook iconography in our discussions about Trinitarian theology, angelic revelation, the Papacy, etc.
In icons that depict the apostles together, St Peter is often shown together with them, but near the center or the top, together with St Paul. The left side of icons often represents "introversion" and the right side represents "extroversion": in the case of Peter and Paul, Peter is shown to the left because he is the "inner" apostle, who evangelized to the Jews, and Paul is shown to the right because he is the "outer" apostle, who evangelized to the Gentiles. Both point to the center, where there is usually Christ, or the Holy Spirit, or Mary who herself points to Him. Peter's defining traits are that he holds the keys of heaven (even using them to open the gate of Paradise, in icons of the last judgment), and he also holds a rolled up scroll, showing both his wisdom as an apostle and his mission to teach the faith.

I could note also that I have not seen an icon that implies the Catholic view of Peter's relationship to the rest of the Church (which goes Christ -> Peter -> the rest of the Church). In icons, the sole subjects I have seen that can stand alone, with the rest of the group pointing to it, are God, or a manifestation of God (such as the three angels of Mamre), or the Theotokos. In every other case, there are at least 2 characters pointing to the center subject: Mary and John the Forerunner pointing to Christ, Michael and Gabriel pointing to Mary… and of course Peter and Paul pointing to Jesus, or Mary, or the Holy Spirit, or the Church.
In fact Peter never stands above the group when the icon depicts a group. In the icon of the Transfiguration he is on the same level as John and James, in the icon of Pentecost he is on the same level as Paul… He has a special and unique prerogative, yet his primacy and honor is not "his" alone, and I think this is reflected in how the power of primacy was shared by Rome, Alexandria, and Antioch at first (with this even being the papal argument against the elevation of Constantinople above Alexandria), then between Rome and Constantinople (even though this caused some major frictions).

Nice posts, very informative. I will only say that the Orthodox church HAS a primate and a hierarchical structure, the only reason some people try to ignore that over the last century is political and has bring turbulence to the united church. The "small ethnic churches who are in communion with each other" theory is a recent anomaly and will have to be solved soon before it cause more damage.

It's not just since the last century. Tons of Orthodox hierarchs and theologians have taken onto the frankly Protestant notion that the Church is a confederation of independant churches, with unity being found solely in the common confession of faith, since the 19th century, essentially as an overcompensating response to Vatican I and the ultramontanism that preceded it.
Up to that point we still find the "mitigated papalism" that Kabane speaks of, however, and Constantinople is trying to re-appropriate this theology, but pretty much every other church has a problem with that, although Moscow especially so. The recent despotic and frankly not canonical moves of the Phanar really do not help the situation, particularly when added onto the mess that was the Council of Crete of 2016.

Anyway… Is no Catholic going to comment on Kabane's video?

I appreciate the insight. I'm just now learning about EO and I'm still on the side of the Papacy, but I'd like to learn more.

What did Dyer do to be a meme theologian on the level of HFM? The guy is a self-confessed layman and half of the time just talks about movies.

If everything was supposed to be so unified, then you wouldn't actually see any old traditions among different Orthodox - but they exist. And these traditions existed long before just this last century. It's not a new trend. There's a lot of little traditions that are peculiar to one (or just some) regions, but others aren't bound to do. There are different liturgies going back over a thousand years, different prayer books/rules, different hymns and chanting styles, different icon styles, different biblical canons, different beliefs on the details of the afterlife (i.e. toll booths), there's people jumping into cold water on Epiphany in some places, but not having the same tradition in another. The only centralized rule is the Ecumenical Councils, and that isn't the same as a Vatican and all of it's trappings. The difference being that Councils don't explicitly make a rule about every single thing under heaven.

This idea of unifying everything is purely just a Roman thing, from what I can tell. And always has been. I recall a story of St. Cuthbert (I think? He was circa 600s AD) who was an early monastic in Britain/Northumbria. The liturgies back then were an older style of Celtic Orthodox, peculiar to them. But at the Synod of Whitby, Rome demanded that all of the liturgies in the West followed Roman custom.. along with Cuthbert's monastic community being compelled to adopt Benedict's prayer rule. His monks were upset at the change and disputed it, but Cuthbert didn't want to be contentious and convinced them to adapt. After that, England always became Catholic in nature (even after the Reformation somewhat). But this kind of demonstrates that Rome was doing it's unifying thing even as far back as the 600s… when the rest of the Church never cared to interfere.

I agree with eveything you said here but I don't see what that has to do with what I said.
Unity in dogma, diversity in theology and liturgy and customs. If anything it is an abbheration that the Byzantine rite (which is a Frankenstein monster made of the Hagia Sophia liturgy and monastic Antiochian liturgy) is 99% of the Church today (with the Russian rite being barely different from the Greek one, and both being Byzantine).

I watched it, but didn't find it convincing

Could you provide details?

It hasn't. The "Orthodox" Church hasn't managed to have a single successful ecumenical council since they chose to schism from the seat of Peter.

The amount of energy necessary to refute something is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.

I like Jay too, I would like it if he would stop trying so hard to be funny and to be a "personality" though.

I think lots of people around here just hate his style and that he's American

Someone who has no hint of irenicism has no business discussing theology. I'll keep calling Jay a meme theologian until he shows actual empathy toward the people he disagrees with. I'll keep calling David Bentley Hart a meme theologian as well, while I'm at it.

ok dimond brothes

Ah, I'm not looking for some kind of step-by-step refutation. But I'd like to know what you disagree with at the very least. It doesn't help much that you say "I disagree" - of course you should disagree if you are a Catholic.

as an orthodox, this video, and the resulting discussion thread here, strike me as being very fringe, and that alone is enough to make me skeptical of it. There are certainly practical reasons for the hierarchy of primacy, but defending it like this reminds me of old calendarism.

Huh? Could you elaborate?

they both seem like attachment to non-essential aspects of church administration for the sake of "traditionalism". The fact that someone here has already thrown the prominent and practical 'confederacy of churches' view under the bus, suggests that this line of argumentation has the potential to create yet another needless wedge in the church like the calendar stuff is doing.

That's me, but I really wouldn't call this view "prominent" where I live (France). And of course, the whole Ecumenical Patriachate has been positing for years that this is problematic, so it's hardly "fringe" either (although because most Orthodox are Russian Orthodox, any view that does not come from within the Russian Patriarchate can come off as "fringe").

I mean, that's implicitly what's happening these days between Constatinople and Moscow. Jurisdictionally there's a dispute of course, but theologically there is the underlying disagreement about the role of the primate and how the churches relate to each other and to him. The controversy over the Ravenna document was basically the beginning of this dispute.

Considering that a number of other non-Russian churches disagree with the EP on this, I'd still consider it fringe, just as much as Rome was fringe when it started asserting itself enough to lead to schism, and as fringe as people believing Russia is the "3rd Rome".

I'm OCA, so I don't have a particularly strong affiliation with either side of the debate, though the dioscee as a whole does generally disagree with the EP on this issue. I'm more concerned with what the majority of patriarchs think than what the majority of laity believe, and there is a good amount of disagreement with the EP there too. Just look at the meetings that have been happening with Cyprus and Belgrade recently.

precisely, so it's a bigger issue than old calendarism, but it still strikes me being just as misguided. I just don't see the rest of the churches strongly reinforcing the EP's position. Orthodoxy's decentralization and dynamic notion of hierarchy is a strength not a weakness, and I haven't heard many patriarchs suggesting otherwise. I don't support Russia becoming the new 'head' of the church or whatever either, but luckily moscow hasn't been insisting on that during this dispute, only the EP has over-stepped his bounds. There may be theological reasons for the EP being the 'head' of the church, but I haven't heard many theological reasons for him having that specific level of unilateral authority and power over other patriarchs.

i don't believe the entire other half of apostolic christendom counts as "Fringe"; perhaps, if the entire Latin West had "stayed Orthodox" that would have been an acceptable reading

The point is that the "ethnic churches in communion with each other" theory is modern and not Orthodox, either the Church is one or there's no Church at all and the Catholics were right. I know that many people lately, even priests, subscribe to that theory but this is just a new lurking heresy that hasn't been addressed yet. For example in this board you'll find "Orthodox" people that not only believe that ethnophyletism is compatible with Orthodoxy, but that's it's actually essential to it or otherwise you're a somehow a liberal. I hope a new council will happen soon before more damage is done to our church.
As for Ukraine, the actions taken by the Phanar to end the schism might be despotic, but otherwise they were 100% canonical. The situation in America for example with the dozens of different Orthodox churches is more uncanonical (and actually heretic according to the canons) but nobody is talking about it yet.

A bishop from the EP cannot lift an anathema imposed by a bishop of the MP. It's not canonical and it's abbhorent. Even when Rome had the primacy, the Pope's power of judgment consisted in demanding a retrial -by the local canonical bishops-. He himself couldn't receive back into communion someone who was anathematized by another bishop or synod, and his attempts to do so were all rejected.
Even if Ukraine is really the EP's territory, it doesn't change that unilateral use of authority, without even cooperation with the bishops of Moscow at all, is not a canonical move or one that should be recognized IMO.

Ok i don't know about the specific issue with the anathema, talking about Filaret here, we'll have to look in the church's history and how similar matters were dealt in the past. But calling all for a council to solve the schism in Ukraine is in the responsibility of the EP.

Perhaps I've been misinformed, but wasn't the problem related to the granting of autocephaly and not of anathemas? 100% EP should have the ability to handle jurisdictional issues and nothing else. Anathemas are a different matter.

Some hierarchs had concerns about Filaret and if he can be accepted back by the Ecumenical Patriarch. But reading the canons again it seems that it's perfectly fine and canonical.
Canons 9 and 17 of the 4rth Ecumenical Council. Keep in mind that those canons are before the schism but they still give the highter authority to solve inter-church issues to Constantinople and NOT to Rome.

There are several issues:
- Jurisdiction, and how to interpret and use the canons surrounding Ukraine. Constantinople had spiritual mothehood over the Church of Ukraine, then geopolitical circumstances led to this role being passed on to Moscow. These circumstances are gone today. So who has jurisdiction over Ukraine today: Constantinople or Moscow?
- As a direct circumstance, how to deal with autocephaly in Ukraine? If Moscow has jurisdiction, then it's easy: those churches that demand autocephaly need to repent from their schism and rebellion first, then attention might be paid to them, but meanwhile the canonical Church of Ukraine is under the MP and isn't asking for autocephaly. If Constantinople has jurisdiction, then the pastor of Ukraine, the Ecumenical Patriarch, should put proper order in the region. He has chosen to recogize the schismatics as canonical, grant them the autocephaly they ask, and see the Church of Ukraine that is under the MP as being simply a branch of the MP impeding on Ukrainian territory. But there remains the issue . . .
- . . . of the EP recognizing the schismatics as canonical by lifting the anathema the MP had imposed upon them. This was done after previously recognizing this anathema, and without the consent of the MP, or the explicit repentance of the schismatics. And a bishop canonically cannot receive back someone who was anathematized by another bishop, the end. Not even the Pope was able to before the great schism.
- If the EP really can overrule, by himself, the canonical decisions of the bishops of Moscow, this has major implications. This is where the accusations of "neo-papism" come from. Although admittedly the EP seems to be claiming this power for the churches that were granted autocephaly by Constantinople to begin with, and not for the other ancient patriarchates.
- In threatening the MP, the EP also said that he could remove Moscow's autocephaly if he wanted to. This brings up a major question: are the autocephalies since the 7th ecumenical council "real" autocephalies? Autocephaly by itself cannot be taken back by definition, but at the same time we have yet to have an 8th ecumenical council to give ecumenical authority and recognition to all these new autocephalies.
- Finally, in his threats to the MP, the EP has also said that communion with Constantinople is necessary for the proper functionment of the Church, and to separate from it for political matters is extremely grave. He also said that the Church cannot exist without the EP, the Ecumenical Patriarch has a universal pastoral role, and theologians of the Phanar have been theorizing that the Ecumenical Patriarch is "first among equals" as a bishop but "first without equals" as primate of the whole Church. This brings the issue of what is primacy, is it artificial or necessary, what powers does it imply… Basically what this thread is about. And this is also where the accusations of "neo-papism" come from, although less intensely so.

it was fringe in the sense that the viewpoint only represented 1/5 patriarchates at the time. Sizes of the regions or populations under certain dioceses shouldn't be relevant to matters of ecclisiology.

This truly is astounding.. I've seen it said before, but I'm always surprised.

The only reason that it hasn't had an Ecumenical Council is it is WAITING FOR YOU. The Orthodox Church just sits there dangling the original points that Rome agreed to and has an open invitation for them to simply come back. The Church can't fix the schism until you come back. If it carried on as normal and just made more and more Councils (like Rome does) then Rome would never have a chance of reconciling. It'd have to agree to even more points than when it originally left.

It's ALL FOR YOUR SAKE.

And what do you do? You see it as a weakness in itself to not convene a Council without you (thus not being as ecumenical as the original ones) and encourage people to sin like you, by ignoring you and not acting out of love.

I've seen this said before, but I'm always surprised that Catholics can be so thickheaded. I want to give them more credit, but you make it hard to do so.

The main reason why it hasn't had an Ecumenical Council is it is waiting for Rome in the first place. The Orthodox Church just sits there holding up the original points that Rome agreed to and has an open invitation for them to simply come back. The Church can't fix the schism until you come back. If it carried on as normal and just made more and more Councils (like Rome does) then Rome would never have a chance of reconciling. It'd have to agree to even more points than when it originally left. Some may not want to admit it, but you're still family, and this would be unfair.

So let this sink in: It's for Rome's sake. No one else's.

And what do you do? You see it as a weakness in itself to not convene a Council without you (thus not being as ecumenical as the original ones). It's just simple courtesy. Meanwhile, the Orthodox are fine just "freezing" in ecclesiastical time anyways. It's no big deal if some local areas have their own traditions, but it will likely never present dogmatic points until Rome is back in the fold. It doesn't need to anyhow. The Seven Councils have served Orthodox well. Unlike Rome, which immediately experienced antipopes, riots, and reformation within centuries.

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

That's begging the question; what is then relevant in matters of ecclesiastical questions?
If it's a matter of scripture or apostolic interpretation, it's simply a matter of pointing to Matthew 16:18.

yeah how did that mongol and communist thing go for you LOL

oh, and turks

hardly:
golubinski.ru/ecclesia/primacy.htm

youtu.be/R-s8v81ZkeU

youtu.be/DyuvkoiYlYk

youtu.be/Bqm8pt21cYg

youtu.be/SvEX15vd82w

should ask your lady of Fatima that:
youtu.be/Y5PUKrOeROU

theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/the-true-message-of-fatima/

That's like mocking the early church for being persecuted by Imperial Rome. Come on now.

The Orthodox are merely victims in all of the above. They didn't create their own tragedies. And Mongols are certainly not the product of Ecumenical Councils. And if you think suffering on it's own is due to some fault, then you're barking up Benny Hinn/Prosperity Gospel territory now, where people like him argue that cancer patients create their own problems somehow. "You don't have enough faith!"

We are all called to endure some suffering. Unfortunately some more than others. This isn't the same as direct doctrinal calamities that came upon the Western church - these weren't outsiders doing this. They were insiders. They were not Mongols or Saracens. Like it or not, they were kin.

Unfortunatelly all the autocephalies in Europe were given through schism and rebellion starting with Moscow first and foremost. Constantinople treated all new churches as her children and gave them autocephaly to let them go their own way, without great results. The same has happened in Ukraine where the Ecumenical Patriarch called them all, especially the Russian church in Ukraine, to have a council and stop this retarded dispute. Unfortunatelly, the Russian church in Ukraine proved that she doesn't care about any of that and that she's literally what the name implies, the Russian church in Ukraine. One of the role of the Ecumenical Patriarch is finding sollutions to inter-church problems and he has the right to lift any anathema that was given unjustly by a newest, autocephalus church, canons 9 and 17 of the fourth Ecumenical Council.
The Moscow church was given autocephaly, in one way or another, by Constantinople, then had it taken back by Peter the great, then given autocephaly again by Stalin. Moscow doesn't actually have a Tomos of autocephaly anymore but a KGB document. Yet they have the audacity to call Ukraine uncanonical when they followed all the rules and asked for their autocephaly from the EP.

I'm not gonna read or watch all that, try to defend your arguments yourself. I can respond to you just fine, youtube videos and russian web-admins, not so much.

I'm calling out a silly claim for what it is.

is this how you approach the bible as well?

No, I actually read the Bible and quote from it when necessary. You're more like that one baptist guy who would just put up pieces of Scripture (ex: Ephesians 1:2-8 with no quotes) without actually explaining how the quote has anything to do with what he's talking about.

If you're going to accuse me of straw-manning you must substantiate that as well, not hide behind accusations you cannot possibly prove.