The Protestant Reformation

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

ccel.org/ccel/alexander_a/canon.iii.v.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I haven't watched the video, but don't bother with this guy, he thinks ancient Israelites derived their beliefs from polytheists, so you shouldn't give him attention.

I've heard this coming from gnostics and new age mystics larpers. What's the counter argument?

Top Ten Jokes That Went Out Of Hand

0/10

His stuff can be interesting, but I wouldn't put much stock in the narrative or finer details.

Ancient isrealites were largely unfaithful and syncretic.

LOOTING-OPERATION
O
O
T
I
N
G
-
O
P
E
R
A
T
I
O
N

Attached: 1534990726185.png (429x276, 92.25K)

Anything Crash Course History releases is garbage. They obviously have an agenda to push.
After watching the video, it's not that bad. I think he misrepresents indulgences slightly and the idea that aristocrats and royalty were closer to God I don't think was ever a thing (being chosen by God for a certain task and being closer to God are two different things) but they get the essentials right.

It's not just a gnostic thing now. It's part of the whole modern/skeptical community who has been actively trying to debunk Israel's origins. Almost all of archaeology and higher criticism is run by people who push these theories now. They claim that the Exodus never happened, first of all. And from there, decided to fill the void and develop a new view that Israel were just Canaanites who led a "peasant revolt" (usually this is laced with Proto-Marxist undertones. The leftists scholars are trying to create a new narrative where the "real" Exodus is to be admired, but only from a Left wing standpoint). While people like that guy on youtube are just poor saps raised in the current university system, without a challenge to any of this.

As for the polytheistic thing, that's just because they consider that Israel were actually Canaanites (who were polytheistic). Israel only magically became monotheistic once the dust settled after the Exile. They believe that the kingdoms of Judah and Israel largely represented combating viewpoints on theology, one more stripped down and eventually monotheist and one polytheist. They point to Elijah and other prophets who battled Baal and Asheroth worshippers as indicative of all of this. Or how Solomon dabbled in polytheism. Rather than accept the plain words of the Bible that the Baal worshippers were simply apostates. They try to lend legitimacy to them and say they were actually true Israelites… who were a mix of polytheistic Canaanites struggling to find their identity - rather than a covenant people who traced back to Abraham. They believe that prophets like Elijah were monotheist "reformers" who ruined everything.

Scholars have a knack for creating the most elaborate fantasies, whilst mocking everyone else as being in the fantasy world.

As a bit of a history noob and after watching the European ones I've started watching the world history ones. I already know a only a bit about a bit of history here and there so am able to see where they miss or oversimply some things in places for the sake of brevity, but in the Christianity episode he flatout denies the Jews had absolutely anything to do with the crucifixion of Jesus and insisted he was purely killed for being a little rebel with the potential to cause a lot of upset to the authorities. It goes without saying the series is purely secular in tone and outlook and comes with all the pitfalls that entails. the presenter does have a mock nervous existential breakdown at the thought of the cold pointlessness of the universe and futility of life early on in the series though, so at least they don't hide from their worldview's consequences kek.

see from 4.50 in embed related.

Protestantism starts before Martin "God is the source of evil" Luther. Protestantism started with John Huss.

Technically, it started with Satan (the first protestant), but I see your point.

By and large a denial of Matt 16:15-20, the Great Apostasy meme is BS. Rome had error but is not apostate.

This was mostly true in the Anglican case (speaking as an Anglican).

(((Crash Course)))

based

Nah, it really began with Christ, but the consensus will say the reformation was "officially" started at the time of Peter Waldo.

But isn't there a lack of evidence for the Exodus, though?

The Protestant revolution gave us the modern world and all its ills. Billions of souls have surely gone to hell because of it.

It's in scripture, user, you have to trust it. You will never get the real answer from this world for it hates God and wishes to subvert it at every opportunity. If you believe in Jesus Christ then you believe that the Bible contains no errors and that its histories must be true, literally so.

St. Augustine: spends years writing books to analyze the meaning of scripture and unravel its meaning, BTFOs fundamentalists that go "take it all literally bro" 1600 years ago with sources, quotes and direct line to the church fathers
Protestant: well, actually…

Yet Protestants removed books out of the Bible and even contemplated moving books in the New Testament in appendices.

Actually, even Luther's opponents didn't believe in the apocrypha as scripture, even Gregory the great and Cardinal Cajetan didn't consider them as inspired.
ccel.org/ccel/alexander_a/canon.iii.v.html

It's a conspiracy theory that Luther removed the uninspired books of the canon, he didn't, and every reformed bible had them in their index, until the early ~19th century for unknown reasons. Luther also told people to read them for spiritual growth and wisdom.

It was you guys that changed your canon at Trent. To say the reformers "removed books" it almost the equivalent when the pharisees declared believing the two powers of heaven is heretical when targums proved that they (or the very least their leaders) believed in them before Christ incarnated!

The Synod of Hippo already had deuterocanon as part of the bible, but Trent was merely a reaction to defend canon. In truth neither Luther nor the Church shifted canon around, it was the Anglicans under King Henry VII who tossed it out of the KJV, most Protestant translations following thereafter.

Lol epic