Confession

I need to get something off my chest. Someone recommended I do Catholic confession. There's a Catholic church up the street from my apartment, am I allowed to just walk in and ask for a confession? Do I have to convert to Catholicism first? Sorry I am new to all this, I haven't set foot in a church in like 20 years. Jesus came into my life recently… I think. I don't have a denomination but I pray a little bit and I hung a cross in my rear view mirror.

Attached: 1-Piece-Latin-Cross-Car-Sticker-Decals-Accessory-Chrome-Metal-Christian-Cross-Rearview-Mirror-Pendant-Emblem.jpg (640x640, 25.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/a5.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you baptized?

Just google how to do it, and then go in and act natural like you belong there.

if you confess to not being catholic first then maybe it will work?
theres something called baptism of desire, google it from a catholic website

Yes. Catholic confession is a Sacrament, and the Sacraments only work for people who are in full communion with the Catholic Church (i.e. Baptised and Confirmed)

Catholics consider Confession much more significant than "getting things off your chest". It's a rite that initiates people back into the Christian life after falling away, and or obtaining Graces from God.

If you have problems, you are better off talking to a councillor or even to a priest directly. In the meantime, research what the Sacrament of Penance is and what the other Sacrements are, and what their significance is.

Yeah, you do. It's worth it though, confession is a wonderful, wonderful sacrament.

You can confess without being confirmed, can't you?

Yes, as long as you are baptized I believe>>811133

It couldn't hurt to try, although don't be surprised if all the doors are locked. In that case, you should check the Parish's website (if it has one) and see when their scheduled Confession times are or, if possible, call to arrange a time. It used to be you could walk in whenever, but druggie Baby Boomers put a stop to that when they vandalized Churches in the '60s.
Nope. I went to my first Confession as a non-Catholic last week. I felt a great burden lifted from me afterwards.

You need to be a Catholic, except in rare circumstances. I'll post what the the catechism says.

1401 When, in the Ordinary's judgment, a grave necessity arises, Catholic ministers may give the sacraments of Eucharist, Penance, and Anointing of the Sick to other Christians not in full communion with the Catholic Church, who ask for them of their own will, provided they give evidence of holding the Catholic faith regarding these sacraments and possess the required dispositions.

What on earth is this. You have to be Catholic for confession!

Are you so sure? This was my experience:
I'm pretty sure I would've been corrected at one point if I were in the wrong, but now I'm beginning to have doubts. I thought Confession was something I had to do before my Confirmation, as it was explained to me that I'll make a profession of faith during the Nicene Creed and receive the Eucharist afterwards, which obviously means I'd be in a state of Mortal Sin if I had not yet been to Confession. Maybe my diocese operates differently, I don't know… I'll ask my RCIA coordinator to clarify.

Well, I'm beginning to suspect that the reason I'm supposed to show up 30 minutes before Mass is not only to rehearse the profession of faith (which is the only reason they gave me for showing up early), but also to receive Penance. I hope I didn't make a huge mistake by receiving it sooner…

Yeah if you're a catechumen it's different, since you publicly are saying you agree with the church. There is no prot baptism, so if you've renounced all heresy then you can even technically confess and receive communion.

I meant to say that someone who believes in some other denomination, they cannot go for confession because you are in a state of perpetual sin by believing heresy. Same thing goes if you are invalidly married or remarried etc. You cannot get absolution cause you are maintaining a state of sin.

… Huh?
Am I reading this right?

First you need to repent, to really repent. If you, lets say, swindle someone, and go to confess, but you still think they kind of deserve it and it wasn't a big deal, that's hypocrisy. You're asking for forgiveness for something you don't really repent, and that's a terrible sin: you're trying to lie to God, and probably to yourself too.
If you go to confession while also being a staunch heretic, you're being equally hypocritical. You're living in sin, and no matter how much you say you're repentful, your acts speak for you.
You can still confess and receive pardon for the sins you're truly repentful, though.

No you can't get partially absolved there is no such thing. If you aren't actually repentant from all of your sins then you can get no absolution. So if you are currently still sinning while in the confessional (such as invalid marriage, holding to heresy) you can receive no absolution for anything. Absolution is all or nothing.

All right, that makes sense. I was baptized in a Trinitarian Prot church and am currently under the informal instruction of the RCIA coordinator (neither a catechumen or candidate, as she determined me to be "thoroughly catechized"), and I fully submit to the Church's teachings on all matters of the faith and will be Confirmed shortly. I caught up with her today and she said I did nothing wrong, so that's good enough for me.

Yeah you sound fine because you are not holding any heresy, so you are the same as any Catholic who hasn't been confirmed yet. What blocks a prot from confession is not their baptism but that they reject the church so they cannot get absolution. Glad you are joining the church God bless!

Attached: 85yksqqqtk031.png (684x940, 32.48K)

I'm a Protestant (for now), but I'm suspecting the denomination I had been attending is wrong and I'm trying to find the true Church but don't know which. Can I just confess my sins directly to God?

No, you must also possess desire for the sacrament of penance, and perfect contrition (which is extremely hard to do and no one can assume that they have received it), and in addition if you still openly believe heresy or have not submitted to the Pope therefore you cannot receive absolution. I mean you can say to God you are sorry but it's very unlikely you will actually receive forgiveness. You should pray to find out where Christ's church actually is and then hopefully you realize it's the Catholic church, then ask them to join RCIA then you can confess. And yeah if you die before then most likely if not absolutely certainly you will go to Hell. Sorry it sounds a bit harsh but too many people are way too soft, maybe it might help you (or maybe it won't, if so, I'm sorry!). If you're Protestant the easiest way in my opinion is just to look up the Church Fathers on the Real Presence: therealpresence.org/eucharst/father/a5.html
Once you realize that the Early Church believed in the Real Presence it's either the Catholic or the "Eastern Orthodox". From there it's clearly the Catholic Church the EO allows birth control. Also they call the Bishop of Rome "first amongst equals". Like that in itself just sounds ridiculous. Anyways hope you find the truth! God bless

Attached: christfren.jpg (2448x3264, 590.21K)

Typically, when you're going through RCIA, baptized or unbaptized, they will have you wait until Lent to do your first confession. The purpose of waiting is so that it is after the parts of the catechesis teaching the candidate/catechumen about the fundamentals of the faith and also about the sacraments, including reconciliation.

Of course, for the person being baptized on Easter Sunday, confession is technically not needed although a valuable part of the process. At baptism, all sins are forgiven through the merit of Christ's death on the Cross. If you are a candidate and therefore have already been baptized, it may be necessary (in the case of recurring mortal sins) to have a second (or more) confession before being received into the Church to be properly disposed to receive the Eucharist.

In the case of someone not being received into the Church through the RCIA process, a confession is counseling and cannot include absolution and penance. For absolution to be given, one must be a Christian and heresy must be renounced. So if you're a Christian but not a Catholic, you have to renounce schism and join the Church to be absolved. If you're not a Christian, you cannot be absolved because it is by being baptized into Christ's death and resurrection that one is freed from original sin.

Imagine how many people have died and gone to hell because the Catholic Church makes them wait up to a year to do what they need to do to go to Heaven. This is just evil.

Zero.

So no-one's ever died unexpectedly in a car accident while waiting 12 months to get baptized? No-one's ever committed a mortal sin in between baptism and waiting to be allowed to get their first absolution?

Try again.

Are you claiming they haven't?

You don't need to be a Catholic to do confession. If you don't believe in their Church it's not a sin for you and even in their system the preist has not sinned if he hears a confession from a non-Catholic who doesn't inform him of that fact. Just say you're from out of town but don't say you're not a Catholic. He'll assume you are one and hear your confession. As long as you aren't lying to him I don't see how it's a sin.

I'm sure according to their papist Canon law it's a mortal sin or whatever but if you don't believe in that it has no power over you. Now I'd question why you'd even want to confess to a Roman preist but I understand being a seeker and wanting to try out the rituals of different denominations to find one that works for you.

So by all means give it a try OP. Schedule a confession, don't say you're a Catholic but don't say you aren't one either, and give it a try. If that will help you in your spiritual journey of denomination discernment I see no reason not to do it.

Try again.

This is your brain on religious liberalism.

You need to be Orthodox to do Orthodox confession, likewise with RC.

I am in the same position as a catechumen to Orthodoxy. I really need to confess and be absolved of these sins, but I can't just yet due to the procedural stuff. My advice is hold on.

Perhaps you could go to a priest and talk about the situation, even though they wouldn't be able to give you absolution or penance or anything.

Attached: jesus-pantocrator-icon-008328__52845.1520532067.500.659.jpg (317x500, 75.58K)