Which Denomination is the Most Mormon?

Which Christian denomination has doctrines which are closest to Mormonism? I'm not talking about the really wacky stuff, just the normal side they like to present to people. Things like baptism by immersion, salvation being based on works, an emphasis on agency, etc.

This isn't a troll question btw, I'm asking because I left the LDS church after being in it my whole life and I'd appreciate a point of reference. I'm not asking because I'm looking to convert, I'm pretty much done with religion at this point tbh.

Attached: JS.jpg (341x400, 61.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ihopkc.org/prayerroom/
youtu.be/FWXr4NuZOCM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Baptism by immersion? Orthodox and Protestant.

Salvation based on works? Nobody really teaches this. Everyone (except Antinominianists) believes that we are saved by faith but true faith produces good works. Catholics therefore speak of justification by faith and works. Protestants speak of justification by faith alone in response to the Catholic doctrine of merits. Orthodox fall somewhat in the middle - they speak of faith and works but do not believe in merits in the sense Catholics speak of them.

Emphasis on agency? Catholics and Orthodox.

I may add that Catholics and Orthodox believe that salvation is theosis (to become by grace what God is by nature). But this only vaguely ressembles the Mormon doctrine.

This.

The only Christian church that has a hierarch anything like the President or 'Prophet' of the Mormon church would be the Catholic Pope.

If it isn't for conversion, why even ask?

Salvation by works is believed only by Jews and Mohammedans. "Emphasis on agency" is far too vague, don't know. Protestants are more "self-help" oriented, sometimes leading to heretical results, but whatever.

Technically you haven't even started with religion, because you were in a cult. :^) Anyway, peace be with you & stuff.

Why did you leave Mormonism

Idk, to see if it's all a bunch of bullshit, even the stuff that seemed reasonable to me.

Because there's an overwhelming amount of evidence that it isn't true, and a lot of the beliefs feel wrong to me.

Thanks for this answer, it's really good. Does anyone know of any "Orthodox Christianity for dummies" type sources?

Nvm I looked into it and Orthodox Christianity is strange and foreign to me.

Well, yes, because Joe Smith was a polygamist who put religious beliefs second to his perversion. This is basically the historical fact.

Well, there is also Catholicism, which speaks for itself, and Johnny Cash was a Baptist. I'm an Anglican personally, it's my culture people moan about our church because it's not conservative or political enough.

However, if trusting your gut led you to Mormonism, maybe you should do more research before you jump in.

I was raised Mormon; doing research is what led me away from the church. I'm not particularly interested in jumping back into anything atm, I just want to know if the things I latched onto were weird quirky Mormon bullshit or if there was anything to them.

Christianity is a Palestinian religion. Of course it would be strange and foreign to you.
Mormonism is strange and foreign for me.
Also that is a strange comment to make if your intent isn't to go to church or to convert.

I'm just feeling lost right now and wanted a familiar point of reference based on things that feel true to me. I really didn't mean to offend, I'm sorry.

You did not offend, I'm just confused by what you're looking for exactly.
Do you mean you want to study a denomination that fulfills what you asked about but is also culturally or aesthetically relatable? Then maybe Roman Catholicism, or high-church Anglicanism, or Western-rite Orthodoxy.

Honestly, probably a traditional Baptist church, Quaker community, or variation of the Anabaptists (Amish, Mennonites, etc.) Looking into some of the religious history around Smith, Methodism and Seventh-Day Adventism are also two leading candidates. If you've done the research on Mormonism, I would think these would be logical steps forward.

Catholicism/Orthodoxy/Anglicanism-Episcopalianism is very distinct from Protestantism. It will be alien and strange. I wouldn't put them in the same category of thought. If you're trying to learn more, read on the Ancient Church. Read about the Ecumenical Councils, about the various heresies. Then read about Martin Luther and John Wesley. That should be a good start to understand the differences. Wikipedia is fine, but understand that that has its limitations and inaccuracies. Whichever strikes you as interesting, search further on.

Hey OP, I know it's a stretch but maybe you can check out IHOPkc. They have a 24/7 Livestream prayer and worship. God bless.
ihopkc.org/prayerroom/

Attached: images.jpeg (299x168, 8.53K)

Here's their YouTube livestream
youtu.be/FWXr4NuZOCM

Ok, I understand now. So works based salvation, baptism by immersion and an emphasis on agency attracted you to embrace Mormonism.

If that's the case, then you should know that Christianity believes in salvation by faith and works. We do not particularly emphasize our agency, since all good works are from God's grace, but we believe we are responsible for every bad action. This is basically designed as a formula for humility, but also we reason that it's pretty impossible to be saved by works, since we are too weak and fallible. God, so we figure, must look upon our good efforts and find them so bad by comparison with Himself that the only way he would be willing to accept them is if they were done for the love of God, and as an offering to God.

As for baptism, we all have that, but I don't know what a Mormon baptism looks like.

Well, we're always here to help.

The orthodox way by Kallistos Ware

CoC is syngergist and believer's baptism I think